PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a used car

jman3000
07-03-2006, 11:11 AM
My car has finally broken down enough for me to give up on it. It was my first car and I’ve had it since my junior year of high school. With all the problems it’s given me, it won’t be missed.

I’m going to be looking for a used car this week and am hoping some of y’all might know of some good deals around town or perhaps a dealer that may have good prices. Keep in mind I’m a poor college student, so my budget for a car isn’t sky high. I’ll be checking up autotrader.com and e-bay as well, so hopefully I can find something within the week or at least before school starts. Thanks for any help y’all can give.

NorCal510
07-03-2006, 12:44 PM
yadidamahjig?

2Blonde
07-03-2006, 12:51 PM
What's your budget? That might help anyone in here who knows of something.

T Park
07-03-2006, 01:06 PM
id suggest a nice Accord or Civic.

CANNOT go wrong with either one cheif.

leemajors
07-03-2006, 02:31 PM
id suggest a nice Accord or Civic.

CANNOT go wrong with either one cheif.

their resale value is so high it's not too much more expensive to buy a new one. saturns are pretty reliable, according to my uncle who sells used cars in Houston, as are chevy malibus. you pay a lot for used toyotas or hondas, they do hold up very well though.

cherylsteele
07-03-2006, 04:14 PM
My car has finally broken down enough for me to give up on it. It was my first car and I’ve had it since my junior year of high school. With all the problems it’s given me, it won’t be missed.

I’m going to be looking for a used car this week and am hoping some of y’all might know of some good deals around town or perhaps a dealer that may have good prices. Keep in mind I’m a poor college student, so my budget for a car isn’t sky high. I’ll be checking up autotrader.com and e-bay as well, so hopefully I can find something within the week or at least before school starts. Thanks for any help y’all can give.
My boyfriend works a Ancira Nissan at I-10 and Huebner.....tell him Cheryl sent you. He is honest and not a pressure type saleman.

His name is Randy Smith.

NorCal510
07-03-2006, 04:22 PM
get a scraper

Quadzilla99
07-03-2006, 05:30 PM
Get a Consumer Reports Used Car Buying Guide or subscribe to Consumerreports.rog for a month they will tell you more than anybody on this site can. They are the only people to do large scale reliability reports telling which cars break down a lot. They also tell which cars perform better and ride comfortably as well.

Quadzilla99
07-03-2006, 05:31 PM
As a matter of fact as i am not shopping for anything now you can use my username and password at consumerreports.org. I'll PM them to you if you want me to.

jman3000
07-04-2006, 12:49 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

I'd say my price range is at or around 8,000 (hopefully less)... I'm not looking for a car I'm gonna have for the next 10 years of my life ... just something that will get me from point a to b for the next 3 or 4 years.

Thanks.

kris
07-04-2006, 01:16 AM
Uhm Tpark did you just use and misspell chief for the 13th time today?

Clandestino
07-04-2006, 06:19 AM
My boyfriend works a Ancira Nissan at I-10 and Huebner.....tell him Cheryl sent you. He is honest and not a pressure type saleman.

His name is Randy Smith.

:lmao suuuuuurreeee....they all are!

cherylsteele
07-04-2006, 07:54 AM
:lmao suuuuuurreeee....they all are!
He is....the others may not be.

ComfortablyNumb
07-04-2006, 08:02 AM
carmax?

sa_butta
07-04-2006, 11:12 AM
Advantage Auto Sales-ask for Rod.
They sell mostly Hondas and Acuras

Mr Dio
07-04-2006, 11:17 AM
their resale value is so high it's not too much more expensive to buy a new one. saturns are pretty reliable, according to my uncle who sells used cars in Houston, as are chevy malibus. you pay a lot for used toyotas or hondas, they do hold up very well though.

Yes they are.
Have a '95 SL1 that has only had 1 moderate prob & that was apprx $300 to repair. Is currently approaching 150K.

Fabbs
07-04-2006, 12:28 PM

1. Absolute requirement you run a CarFax background check. Lots of dealers and for that matter individuals have no problem selling a waterlogged Gulf Region car that is given some makeup and spakle and passed off as A-Okay. Or if it has been wrecked. Some good mechanics say a car is never the same if its a jolting accident.
2. If available in SA, find a good used car pre inspection mechanic. Not one who just does the visual, one who does the whole she-bang. Does a compression test on the cylinders when the car is cold 1st thing in the morning, pulls the rims and looks at the brakes, checks electrical to see how much of a current everything is holding, etc. Pisses sellers off and some will refuse, but I have done this with major success. In fact the stuff he found wrong I used to negotiate down the price. "Don't buy a Lemon" is the companies name here in San Diego. Worth every penny, plus the owner knew what all the good models were for your price range. I'd say give him a call even from San Antone to get some model suggestions. I'll post if you want it. Re Consumers Reports, he did caution that the mag is owned by a Japanese Company. Yep. Therefore do not take everything they say as bible and do not be surprised when the Japanese cars are top rated. Which they were better then the others for years, don't get me wrong. Probably still are, altho Toyotas are made a lot in the U.S. and also some of the rinky dink lazy craftsmanship of the UAW is starting to show up in some of the Japanese model -made mostly in America cars now.

jman3000
07-04-2006, 02:05 PM
again, thanks for all the help.