PDA

View Full Version : Argentinian Herrmann may be NBA bound

ducks
07-03-2006, 02:21 PM
Argentinian Herrmann may be NBA bound
http://www.fiba.com/pages/en/news/latest_news_article.asp?r_act_news=13388&r_cat=8&page_high=1&page_news=1&mySearch=&nMonth=&nYear=

ARG - Argentinian Herrmann may be NBA bound

MALAGA (NBA) - Argentina international forward Walter Herrmann is drawing interest from the Charlotte Bobcats and other NBA clubs and could leave Spanish basketball if he receives an attractive offer.

The 6ft 8in Herrmann, who helped Unicaja Malaga win this season's ACB crown, recently got married and is on his honeymoon in the United States.

He is currently out of contract.

Unicaja Malaga sporting director Juan Manuel Rodriguez told PA Sport: "It's true that there is an interest from NBA teams in the player, in particular the Charlotte Bobcats.

"Of course, we have to wait and see. This week we will know something more, but if the player wants to leave for the NBA, there is little we can do."

The 27-year-old Herrmann was a reserve with Argentina at the 2004 Olympics and was used sparingly.

He made his most important appearance at the Athens Games against Team USA in the semi-finals, however, scoring 11 points in 14 minutes of that 89-81 triumph.

Herrmann recently told PA Sport: "I would love to go to the NBA.

"One always has the dream of playing in the strongest league in the world and if that opportunity comes along, I will take it. But I don't lose any sleep over it."

Herrmann has made a lot of headlines for his play but also for the tragedy he has suffered off the court.

His mother, sister and then girlfriend were killed in an automobile accident in Argentina in 2003 and then, one year to the day in 2004 and immediately after he had been named most valuable player of the South American Championship, his father died of a heart attack.

If Herrmann does leave for the NBA, he will join a growing list of players who have departed Spain or are making plans to do so.

Tau Ceramica's Jose Manuel Calderon left last summer and signed for the Toronto Raptors, the same club his fellow Spanish international Jorge Garbajosa is expected to join in the coming days.

Garbajosa was Unicaja's best player this season.

Estudiantes point guard Sergio Rodriguez was taken in the first round of the NBA draft last week and is now weighing up whether to sign for Portland.

Juan Carlos Navarro of Winterthur Barcelona, whose draft rights are held by the Washington Wizards, has stated his desire to leave for the NBA but he must buy out his contract with Barca.

Pau Gasol is an NBA All-Star with the Memphis Grizzlies while the Orlando Magic used their lottery selection in last year's NBA draft on Fran Vazquez, who ultimately signed with Akasvayu Girona in the ACB.

The man widely believed to be the best player not in the NBA, Herrmann's compatriot Luis Scola, is still under contract at Tau Ceramica but he could move to the NBA next season. His draft rights are held by San Antonio.

Meanwhile, the Magic have not been put off Spain by Vazquez's surprise decision to remain in his homeland because they have invited Polaris World Murcia's emerging 22-year-old center Juanjo Triguero, one of the top defenders in the second division (LEB) to play with their summer league team.

Jeff Taylor and Cindy Garcia-Bennett
PA Sport

T-Pain
07-03-2006, 04:39 PM
Argentinian Herrmann may be NBA bound
http://www.fiba.com/pages/en/news/latest_news_article.asp?r_act_news=13388&r_cat=8&page_high=1&page_news=1&mySearch=&nMonth=&nYear=

ARG - Argentinian Herrmann may be NBA bound

MALAGA (NBA) - Argentina international forward Walter Herrmann is drawing interest from the Charlotte Bobcats and other NBA clubs and could leave Spanish basketball if he receives an attractive offer.

The 6ft 8in Herrmann, who helped Unicaja Malaga win this season's ACB crown, recently got married and is on his honeymoon in the United States.

He is currently out of contract.

Unicaja Malaga sporting director Juan Manuel Rodriguez told PA Sport: "It's true that there is an interest from NBA teams in the player, in particular the Charlotte Bobcats.

"Of course, we have to wait and see. This week we will know something more, but if the player wants to leave for the NBA, there is little we can do."

The 27-year-old Herrmann was a reserve with Argentina at the 2004 Olympics and was used sparingly.

He made his most important appearance at the Athens Games against Team USA in the semi-finals, however, scoring 11 points in 14 minutes of that 89-81 triumph.

Herrmann recently told PA Sport: "I would love to go to the NBA.

"One always has the dream of playing in the strongest league in the world and if that opportunity comes along, I will take it. But I don't lose any sleep over it."

Herrmann has made a lot of headlines for his play but also for the tragedy he has suffered off the court.

His mother, sister and then girlfriend were killed in an automobile accident in Argentina in 2003 and then, one year to the day in 2004 and immediately after he had been named most valuable player of the South American Championship, his father died of a heart attack.

If Herrmann does leave for the NBA, he will join a growing list of players who have departed Spain or are making plans to do so.

Tau Ceramica's Jose Manuel Calderon left last summer and signed for the Toronto Raptors, the same club his fellow Spanish international Jorge Garbajosa is expected to join in the coming days.

Garbajosa was Unicaja's best player this season.

Estudiantes point guard Sergio Rodriguez was taken in the first round of the NBA draft last week and is now weighing up whether to sign for Portland.

Juan Carlos Navarro of Winterthur Barcelona, whose draft rights are held by the Washington Wizards, has stated his desire to leave for the NBA but he must buy out his contract with Barca.

Pau Gasol is an NBA All-Star with the Memphis Grizzlies while the Orlando Magic used their lottery selection in last year's NBA draft on Fran Vazquez, who ultimately signed with Akasvayu Girona in the ACB.

The man widely believed to be the best player not in the NBA, Herrmann's compatriot Luis Scola, is still under contract at Tau Ceramica but he could move to the NBA next season. His draft rights are held by San Antonio.

Meanwhile, the Magic have not been put off Spain by Vazquez's surprise decision to remain in his homeland because they have invited Polaris World Murcia's emerging 22-year-old center Juanjo Triguero, one of the top defenders in the second division (LEB) to play with their summer league team.

Jeff Taylor and Cindy Garcia-Bennett
PA Sport

great to hear that he will get a shot at the NBA. I only remember him because of that tragedy with his girlfriend, mom, and sister, and its great to hear hes doing well on the court and that event not stopped him from playing. way to go hermann

Taking it to the Hole
07-03-2006, 05:47 PM
I have always liked Hermann's game. I think he could be a great energy guy off the bench for many teams. Hopefully, someone will take a chance on him and give him a shot. He certainly deserves it.

TDMVPDPOY
07-03-2006, 05:59 PM
can this guy jump or is he another orbeto?

Cherry
07-03-2006, 08:44 PM

Well, you have to give minutes to Oberto and be patient. :rolleyes
Walter can do anything. I love him :elephant

beirmeistr
07-03-2006, 08:53 PM
Isn't his style similar to malik's?

WalterBenitez
07-04-2006, 05:55 PM
Different position, different skills, different age ...

Okey if you put and Statue on our bench not giving him minutes you'll have the same result :angel

Sportman
07-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Isn't his style similar to malik's?

Beyond the GREAT differences, his play is very similar to DR J, of course THERE IS A GREAT difference as i said

SPARKY
07-04-2006, 09:27 PM
Bring him on in.

Spurologist
07-04-2006, 09:32 PM
Looks like a deal with the kitties could be in works. Another non signing for the spurs.

I seriously hope POP/R.C have some kind of deal/trade/pickup/signing brewing. The current lineup is a monumental downgrade from last year's lineup = deep shit.

SPARKY
07-04-2006, 09:33 PM
Fuck man, why spend? TD, TP, and Manu make you a contender and get you into the 2nd round every year...guaranteed.

SuperManu!!!
07-04-2006, 10:32 PM
I hope he bobcats get him. If a team like the spurs sign him, he will sit on the bench all day and pop would make someone like barry play for him