View Full Version : Claxton reaches agreement with Hawks

FromWayDowntown
07-03-2006, 03:34 PM
Probably more NBA Forum, but since he's been discussed here so much, thought I'd start this in the Spurs Forum -- please move as necessary.

Claxton Agrees to Terms with Atlanta (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2508532)

The Atlanta Hawks, roundly criticized for bypassing Chris Paul in the 2005 NBA draft, filled their void at point guard Monday by reaching a verbal agreement with Paul's backcourt mate: Speedy Claxton.

Claxton's agent, Bill Duffy, told ESPN.com that Claxton has verbally agreed to sign with the Hawks on July 12, the first day free agent signings and trades can be made official.

It is believed that Claxton will receive a four-year deal worth $25 million.

The Hawks targeted Claxton after a two-year, $13 million bid to wrest Sam Cassell away from the Los Angeles Clippers fell short. Cassell opted late Saturday to stay in L.A. when the Clippers matched Atlanta's offer.

Claxton, who logged key playoff minutes at the point for San Antonio's 2003 championship team, emerged as a top Sixth Man Award candidate with the Hornets last season as Paul's backup. Hornets coach Byron Scott frequently played Claxton and the eventual Rookie of the Year together in a small, but quick backcourt tandem.

Claxton is expected to be the unquestioned starter in Atlanta, enabling Joe Johnson -- the Hawks' marquee free agent acquisition last summer -- to play at his natural shooting guard position.

ChumpDumper
07-03-2006, 03:35 PM
Well, he is getting paid.

Stay healthy, Speedy!

Mr. Peabody
07-03-2006, 03:35 PM
That's the end of that possibility.

spurschick
07-03-2006, 03:36 PM
:madrun Please tell me this doesn't mean we're stuck with Beno.

Kori Ellis
07-03-2006, 03:37 PM
Well he did say that he wanted to be rewarded.

I knew no one was getting him for cheap.

timvp
07-03-2006, 03:37 PM
I hope he does well there. I didn't want the Spurs giving him that kind of money, anyway.

Props and good luck.

whottt
07-03-2006, 03:39 PM
Speedy Claxton is the most over-rated player in Spurs history. Without a doubt...

He's not worth anywhere close to that amount of money.

MWILL
07-03-2006, 03:40 PM

You got to give Beno a chance to grow.

Pop is not giving him enough playing time.

P.S. If Dallas gets Mike James your team is screwed. :lol

Amarelooms
07-03-2006, 03:41 PM
Does this mean that Mike James is down to Dallas or Houston. Would be awesome if the Mavs can get him for the MLE....probably a long shot as he's more likely to sign with H town.

T Park
07-03-2006, 03:42 PM
Good luck to the Speedster, and the Hawks have gotten a whole hell of alot better.

SenorSpur
07-03-2006, 03:45 PM
Dumb-ass Hawks. They passed over Chris Paul in last year's NBA draft. They could've drafted a PG in this year's draft. Now they go out and overspend in free agency to address a need they could have filled cheaply. Stupidity beyond belief.

MWILL
07-03-2006, 03:46 PM
Speedy Claxton is the most over-rated player in Spurs history. Without a doubt...

Claxton was the reason the Spurs won that Championship in the finals.

Speedy step up when Parker Choked (again). You don't have to be a Spur fan to see that.

Parker is over-rated.

whottt
07-03-2006, 03:47 PM
Here's hoping Speedy continues his recent string of only missing 10-15 games per year due to injury.

MWILL
07-03-2006, 03:49 PM
Dumb-ass Hawks. They passed over Chris Paul in last year's NBA draft. They could've drafted a PG in this year's draft. Now they go out and overspend in free agency to address a need they could have filled cheaply. Stupidity beyond belief.

You have to over pay for players in free agency

You think Damp is worth 72 Million? I don't.

ChumpDumper
07-03-2006, 03:50 PM

Speedy step up when Parker Choked (again). You don't have to be a Spur fan to see that.

Parker is over-rated.Ah, the Parker choking myth rears it's head again.

Remember who coevered Parker?

Remember who covered Claxton?

No, you weren't watching. Nobody was.

whottt
07-03-2006, 03:50 PM

Parker is over-rated.

You are on crack.

Speedy had 2 fucking good quarter being left wide freaking open...and he was still far from flawless, even being given plenty of space by NJ his ball handling was sloppy...and he was lucky he didn't make some stupid TO's.

Speedy knocked down a couple of wide open 15 footers in 2 qurarters of 1 game...I appreciate that he did that, but he was neither essential, nor the reason we won....not even that game.

Stephen Jackson, Manu, Duncan and Drob were why we won that game.

whottt
07-03-2006, 03:51 PM
And Tony Parker flat out fucking destroyed Jason Kidd in that series forcing the Nets to guard him with Kittles. They didn't even guard Speedy.

Supergirl
07-03-2006, 03:53 PM
hahahaha. Speedy, good luck to you. but you've gone to atlanta...where nba careers go to die.

Kori Ellis
07-03-2006, 03:54 PM
http://mrgrumman.home.comcast.net/DrudgeSiren.gif Whottt & ChumpDumper are on the SAME SIDE of an argument http://mrgrumman.home.comcast.net/DrudgeSiren.gif

Turn on your local news to find out when the world is going to end :)

SA210
07-03-2006, 03:55 PM
Darn, I wanted Speedy.

Time to give Beno The spot.

He was our backup in our 05 Championship year.
He'll do fine.

Let's go Beno!

Gummi
07-03-2006, 03:59 PM
Finally some of you guys can stop waste your time thinking about him in a Spurs uniform. I agree whott, Speedy is very overrated but I'm glad that he has finally found a home.

whottt
07-03-2006, 04:01 PM
Don't get me wrong...I'd rather have Speedy than Beno..but not for that kind of $$$. Not even for half of that kind of $$$.

Lots of dumbass GM's at work this offseason...

Quadzilla99
07-03-2006, 04:01 PM

He averaged 12.3 ppg off the bench last year if he starts he could be in the mid to high teens. Plus the new NBA rules fit him to a T. I disagree.

whottt
07-03-2006, 04:03 PM
Ironically...his team last year didn't think he was worth that. The GSW didn't think he was worth what he was making...

Ever see what Tony does to Speedy head to head? Go take a look then tell me which one is over-rated.

MWILL
07-03-2006, 04:04 PM
You are on crack.

Speedy had 2 fucking good quarter being left wide freaking open...and he was still far from flawless, even being given plenty of space by NJ his ball handling was sloppy...and he was lucky he didn't make some stupid TO's.

Speedy knocked down a couple of wide open 15 footers in 2 qurarters of 1 game...I appreciate that he did that, but he was neither essential, nor the reason we won....not even that game.

Stephen Jackson, Manu, Duncan and Drob were why we won that game.

My bad on the "only reason" part but, you can't tell me Parker would hit those open shots under pressure. Parker to me has been great in the start of games but, not in the final seconds of a games. Why is pop taking him out when the game is on the line.

You got to agree or atleast somewhat agree with me.

whottt
07-03-2006, 04:06 PM
Um...I agree that Paker is the only point guard I have seen pull a double team out of Phil Jackson and doesn't get left open period, by anyone, and never has for any year of his career.

You leave Parker open...even if it's just to dare him to shoot and you are likely to end up with him outscoring your C's(and Duncan) in the paint.

I'll wait until I actually see Parker get left open before deciding on if he can perform in those situations...I've never seen it done for more than a posession or two.

FreshPrince22
07-03-2006, 04:09 PM
He had the Spurs and Pistons after him yet he picks the Hawks? Genius.

FromWayDowntown
07-03-2006, 04:11 PM
I agree with whottt -- for a "choker" who "can't get it done in pressure situations," other teams in the NBA sure do send a lot of attention in Tony Parker's direction.

In retrospect, it's awfully hard to believe that Holt was trying to balk on that extra $2 million over the life of Parker's extension -- Parker for 6 years at $66 million looks like robbery.

Kori Ellis
07-03-2006, 04:13 PM
He had the Spurs and Pistons after him yet he picks the Hawks? Genius.

I don't think he ever had the Spurs after him. It seems the Spurs are looking for a 3rd PG, not a backup.

SenorSpur
07-03-2006, 04:48 PM
For the Hawks sake, I hope Speedy will remain healthy.

MoSpur
07-03-2006, 04:55 PM
Speedy is a solid backup. Better than Beno. Beno is younger though. He needs to pick up the slack. Quit being lazy and come to work. If he does, he will become a solid backup.

shaggy17
07-03-2006, 04:58 PM
You got to give Beno a chance to grow.

Pop is not giving him enough playing time.

P.S. If Dallas gets Mike James your team is screwed. :lol

How are we screwed?? :rolleyes If anything smartass if Amare comes back in good form your team is screwed. Suns with amare>>>>> Mavs! Plus the spurs will be back so dont overrate that move assuming it happens!

rayray2k8
07-03-2006, 05:00 PM
Thats too bad. I guess now the spurs will be stuck with Beno. :lol
Or maybe we should give NVE another run. :shootme

Supergirl
07-03-2006, 05:17 PM
Speedy is a solid backup. Better than Beno. Beno is younger though. He needs to pick up the slack. Quit being lazy and come to work. If he does, he will become a solid backup.

I think that's his problem, actually. He is an excellent back up PG. But he is a below average starting PG who is often injured. If he wantsto start, he'll be relegated to shitty teams where he can hope to stay healthy and look like a star. But if he wants to win, he needs to accept his role as back up PG.

He's made his choice.

Taking it to the Hole
07-03-2006, 05:43 PM
I don't think honestly anyone expected us to get Speedy. I think now that we need to focus on our priorities at center and small forward now. We may be stuck with Beno for awhile and we can always bring in someone midseason, so maybe we need to give Beno his dream shot.

spurschick
07-03-2006, 07:07 PM
He was our backup in our 05 Championship year.
He'll do fine.

:lol Yeah, he warmed that bench really well. I guess you don't remember that Manu and Brent ended up pulling backup PG duty during the finals.

T Park
07-03-2006, 07:31 PM
Now don't be goin and usin that there intelligence sc....

Obstructed_View
07-03-2006, 08:37 PM
I don't know why the Spurs would even mention that Beno's in the plans as a backup because it sure looks like nobody here is going to give him any PT. He's either an NBA player who requires PT to develop or he's a draft bust who's probably worth a draft pick or cash considerations to someone. If Pop had pulled Parker and sat him for three months every time he made a mistake, he still wouldn't be ready to start. I'm not excited about seeing Pop run Parker into the ground when he's hurt just because there's nobody on the roster he trusts by the time the playoffs come around.

Quadzilla99
07-03-2006, 08:43 PM
I think this is a very good signing for Atlanta. Speedy is a good NBA point guard especially when you look at some of the other point guards starting out there in the NBA today.

T Park
07-03-2006, 08:45 PM
Pop had pulled Parker and sat him for three months every time he made a mistake, he still wouldn't be ready to start

Your not seriously comparing Parker and Udrih.....

boutons_
07-03-2006, 08:56 PM
Speedy would have been great, to Beno's PT detriment, but Spurs still need a 3rd PG.

Obstructed_View
07-03-2006, 09:02 PM
Your not seriously comparing Parker and Udrih.....
Yeah, yeah, you hate him. How original.

Pop allows Parker and Manu to make mistakes their first couple of years, and now they are all stars, yet he won't allow Udrih to turn the ball over or miss an assignment without pulling him. If he isn't capable of playing in this league (as you seem to think), then Pop knew that before the '06 season. Why wasn't he gone then? If he's capable of playing, then play him, and let him figure it out BEFORE the fucking playoffs.

T Park
07-03-2006, 09:05 PM
Except for Parker and Ginobili have shown exceptional ability, while Udrih at best is a mediocre point guard.

If he isn't capable of playing in this league(as you seem to think), then Pop knew that before the '06 season

05 06?

What season we talkin about sunshine.

Why wasn't he gone then

Obviously other teams are not as enamored with the little gringo as you guys are.

If he's capable of playing, then play him, and let him figure it out BEFORE the fucking playoffs.

Pop did that and he failed miserably against the Clippers and especially against the Rockets.

Watch the games chief and you'd know that.

Nbadan
07-03-2006, 09:14 PM
Beno hasn't shown that he's a championship caliber back-up. Yes, Manu and Tony made mistakes their first two years and were allowed to work them out, but they also did some spectacular stuff, which I haven't seen from Udrih.

The Hawks way over-paid for Speedy, but it just goes to show the NBA potential Speedy gives to any team. I guess the Spurs are stuck pursuing a young up-start or a older veteran for back-up PG again.

Guru of Nothing
07-03-2006, 09:24 PM

I'll take Beno over Speedy straight-up

Speedy @ $25M is crazy.

Patience!

SequSpur
07-03-2006, 09:32 PM
I like Claxton and was hoping he was coming back, but not for that much.

Dude is making more than TO.

Obstructed_View
07-03-2006, 09:36 PM
Except for Parker and Ginobili have shown exceptional ability, while Udrih at best is a mediocre point guard.
Talk about someone not watching the games. Udrih doesn't have any deficiencies that prevent him from being a solid backup point guard in the NBA, other than the fact that he plays on a team that doesn't show a shred of confidence in him and a fan base that shits on him every time he makes a mistake.

05 06?

What season we talkin about sunshine.

If we are going to be obtuse, then I'll respond with, "Was that a question? There's no question mark at the end of it." Sorry for not making it simpler for you to understand, since you'd rather be a dick than have a discussion.

Obviously other teams are not as enamored with the little gringo as you guys are.
I'm not the one that keeps him on the roster. If the Spurs dislike him as much as you do, then they shouldn't have had any problem getting rid of him. Surely they've had opportunities some time in the last 12 months to move him.

Pop did that and he failed miserably against the Clippers and especially against the Rockets.

Watch the games chief and you'd know that.
Well, since you watch all the games, according to the box score, he had two turnovers against the Rockets. You might need to explain to me what he did that didn't show up on the box score but is so terrible that it negated the 25 points he scored in the two games just prior to the Houston game, which you must have watched as well. You must be seeing the same thing the coaching staff does, except that they aren't smart enough to realize that they need to actually get rid of him or at very least keep him off the playoff roster.

SequSpur
07-03-2006, 09:37 PM
Beno has no deficiencies????? :lmao

Obstructed_View
07-03-2006, 09:43 PM
Beno has no deficiencies????? :lmao
That would be funny if it's what I said. Time for you to list the things that keep him from being a solid backup point guard in the NBA.

SequSpur
07-03-2006, 09:44 PM
That would be funny if it's what I said. Time for you to list the things that keep him from being a solid backup point guard in the NBA.

His brain.

SA210
07-03-2006, 09:48 PM
Now don't be goin and usin that there intelligence sc....
Because T Park, of all people, is always all knowing of all things. :rolleyes

Obstructed_View
07-03-2006, 09:49 PM
His brain.
Then the Spurs are stupid for keeping him this long. The only reason I give a shit about the guy is because he's wearing silver and black. Either play him or move him.

SequSpur
07-03-2006, 09:53 PM
They can't just move him, somebody has to pay for him. If they waive him, he still belongs to them. He has a guaranteed deal.

Are you his agent or something? Beno sucks.

strangeweather
07-03-2006, 10:07 PM
His handle. His decision making. His defense.

He may yet develop into a perfectly solid backup. But I think the Spurs need to go into the season with a plausible fallback at the very least.

violentkitten
07-03-2006, 10:12 PM
fuck man someone gave speedy claxton 25 million dollars? the spurs are so fucked this offseason.

Trainwreck2100
07-03-2006, 11:30 PM

He was the Spurs best PG in games 3-6 of the 03 NBA Finals

Obstructed_View
07-04-2006, 06:26 AM
Parker had three points and two assists in game 6. That's not saying much.

Obstructed_View
07-04-2006, 06:29 AM
They can't just move him, somebody has to pay for him. If they waive him, he still belongs to them. He has a guaranteed deal.

Are you his agent or something? Beno sucks.
You don't honestly believe that there's no team in the NBA that would be willing to give up a draft pick for him. Like I said, it's way past time to shit or get off the pot for the Spurs.

GrandeDavid
07-04-2006, 08:13 AM

I agree. So he had a streak of steadiness in the 2003 playoffs and was a reliable backup, I just don't think 6.5 mil is worth it. No way.

infinite styles
07-04-2006, 09:56 AM
Parker had three points and two assists in game 6. That's not saying much.

Wasn't Parker extremely ill that game also?

But anyways was Claxton being paid by the Spurs to play for NO last year cause Foxsports headline says..."Hawks to sign point guard Claxton away from Spurs"

SPARKY
07-04-2006, 09:58 AM
I would've been quite pleased if the Spurs had landed Claxton this offseason but Spurs fans make way too much of his 2002-03 season. He missed 5/8ths of that season too.

Nikos
07-04-2006, 11:44 AM
I would've been quite pleased if the Spurs had landed Claxton this offseason but Spurs fans make way too much of his 2002-03 season. He missed 5/8ths of that season too.

I would have liked it myself. But not because of what he did in 2003, but how well he has played the past 2 seasons. He has been a very solid PG who is a good playmaker and defender. A perfect third guard for a championship calibur team.

whottt
07-04-2006, 11:51 AM

Game 3

Tony Parker: 26 points(to lead all scorers), 4-6 3p, 6 assists.
Speedy Claxton: 4 points, 0 assists.

Spurs Win

Game 4

Tony Parker: 3 points, 1-12 FGA, 4 assists.
Speedy: 10 points, 3 assists.

Spurs Lose.

Game 5

Tony Parker: 14 points(second on the team), 4 assists.
Speedy Claxton: 3 points, 1-4 FGA, 2 assists.

Spurs Win.

You were saying?

I want you to explain that statement...

And the stats don't indicate everything either...in game 5 Parker had an absolutely miserable first half, and game back very strong in the second half, seemingly having figured Kittles out. And was a huge part of that win. Definitely moreso that Claxton who only played about 15 minutes.

In game 6...Pop never went back to Parker in the second half, the Nets were electing to leave Speedy wide open, they were even leaving Kerr open...and Pop chose the path of least resistance.

Speedy was only a contributor to one win. And it was really only a half, as Stephen Jackson started to take the game away from them.

Thank you for saying Speedy was the best PG on the team in games 3-6...Including a game in which Parker lead all players on both teams, in scoring.

Like I said...Speedy is the most over-rated player in Spurs history. Thank you for proving my point.

MI21
07-04-2006, 11:59 AM
:lol @ Whottt. Well done.

Tony Parkers' Game 3 against the Nets was one of his best games ever. Nobody ever mentions it. His 3rd quarter was incredible. Your little recap just then brought back those memories of Jack smashing those 3's too :(

Anyway, Claxton is far and away a better player than 2003, that's why I think he would be a fantastic 3rd guard. He has developed a nice jumpshot out to around 20 feet, which is about 10 feet further than he had with the Spurs :) He will fit in nicely with the Hawks and there young and quick talent, if he can stay healthy of course.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-04-2006, 01:40 PM
Damn.

Well good for him, he's getting paid. He already has a ring, I guess he's not too hungry for another one.