PDA

View Full Version : Williams + Cash for his buyout ($2M) + rights to Scola to CHI for Khryapa

exstatic
07-03-2006, 05:26 PM
Good shooter, good rebounder, 6'9". Chicago got him as a throw in in a draft day trade, and already have Deng and Noccioni.

timvp
07-03-2006, 05:29 PM
I'd do it.

He's definitely a long three who can rebound. He's also shown some ability to block shots. He's basically a poor man's Kirilenko.

The only snag is I read that the Bulls were happy to have him. But yeah, with Deng and Nocioni ahead of him, you'd think they'd want to thin their stockpile.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-03-2006, 05:31 PM
No thanks. The guy is so hot and cold. One game he's going off for 10 and 10 with a couple of steals, next night he goes for 0 points, a board, and four turnovers.

timvp
07-03-2006, 05:33 PM
One change though is the Bullls would have to include Duhon. Khryapa is still on his rookie deal.

Unless the Bulls want to do Beno and Scola for Khryapa ... but they are already overloaded at point.

exstatic
07-03-2006, 05:36 PM
No thanks. The guy is so hot and cold. One game he's going off for 10 and 10 with a couple of steals, next night he goes for 0 points, a board, and four turnovers.

Bench players are like that. He only averages about 20 mins.

Taking it to the Hole
07-03-2006, 05:45 PM
I think it is too much to give for one guy, but then again it's not like we have unlimited options?

Bruno
07-03-2006, 05:48 PM
One change though is the Bullls would have to include Duhon. Khryapa is still on his rookie deal.

Unless the Bulls want to do Beno and Scola for Khryapa ... but they are already overloaded at point.

Bulls are under the cap.

and I like this deal.

timvp
07-03-2006, 05:49 PM
Bulls are under the cap.

and I like this deal.

Good point. Though I'm not sure the Bulls would want to eat up the capspace necessary to take on Williams and pay Scola $4M a year.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-03-2006, 05:49 PM
AHF---scoring is not what we need though, i could care less if he avgs 2 points a game, as long as he defends and rebounds

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-03-2006, 05:51 PM
Bench players are like that. He only averages about 20 mins.

He started 53 games for them.

ChumpDumper
07-03-2006, 05:52 PM
We'd have to wait too long on that deal for Scola to join Chitown this summer, I think.

I wonder if we have a trade exception from that Rasho deal.

Bruno
07-03-2006, 05:59 PM
I wonder if we have a trade exception from that Rasho deal.

We get a $882K trade exception : not enough for khryapa.

exstatic
07-03-2006, 06:02 PM
He started 53 games for them.
Let me rephrase: players that average 20 minutes are like that. If he was dropping 12 and 7 regularly, Portland wouldn't have traded him.

He's long, and his rebounding, shooting percentage, and 3pt percentage are acceptable, and rumor has it, he defends.

exstatic
07-03-2006, 06:03 PM
We get a $882K trade exception : not enough for khryapa.
How much does he make? Isn't there a 25% variance allowed?

Quadzilla99
07-03-2006, 06:04 PM
Good shooter, good rebounder, 6'9". Chicago got him as a throw in in a draft day trade, and already have Deng and Noccioni.

Do your homework Exstatic the most an NBA can pay for a buyout is $500k where you got $2 million number from is beyond me. Plus Khryapa
is worth nowhere near that much.

"Another change in the new CBA raised the limit NBA teams can pay towards a buyout of an existing international league player's contract to $500,000 from $350,000."

http://www.pinnaclehoops.com/news.php?article=83

Sense
07-03-2006, 06:06 PM
No thanks..

Bruno
07-03-2006, 06:06 PM
How much does he make? Isn't there a 25% variance allowed?

Not for a trade exception. With a $882K trade exception, you can only get a player who earned $882K or less.

Khryapa salary is $1,172,400.

And BTW, if Williams agree on a $2M buyout (hypothesis of the first post), Bulls will still keep a lot of capspace.

T Park
07-03-2006, 06:07 PM
Kryapa, as Sequ would say, blows.

Kori Ellis
07-03-2006, 06:08 PM
Do your homework Exstatic the most an NBA can pay for a buyout is $500k where you got $2 million number from is beyond me. Plus Khryapa

"Another change in the new CBA raised the limit NBA teams can pay towards a buyout of an existing international league player's contract to $500,000 from $350,000."

Do your homework and reading comprehension. Eric Williams isn't an international league player. He's talking about the Spurs buying out Williams' contract.

exstatic
07-03-2006, 06:09 PM

Do YOUR homework. That buyout figure is for overseas contracts. Cash up to $3M can be included in a trade, and yes, it can be used for a contract buyout within the NBA. That would lower the cap impact for Chicago.

PWN3D

T Park
07-03-2006, 06:10 PM
ouch......

ChumpDumper
07-03-2006, 06:12 PM
Seeing as Scola is going to act in the next three days. I don't see this happening.

Quadzilla99
07-03-2006, 06:14 PM
Do YOUR homework. That buyout figure is for overseas contracts. Cash up to $3M can be included in a trade, and yes, it can be used for a contract buyout within the NBA. That would lower the cap impact for Chicago.

PWN3D

Okay I was wrong I thought you were talking about Scola's buyout, my bad. Either way Khryapa is still not worth that.

timvp
07-03-2006, 06:15 PM
Seeing as Scola is going to act in the next three days. I don't see this happening.

Yeah, that'd be a snag in it.

It's hard for me to imagine anyone trading for Scola this summer. Using your MLE for an undersized PF who has never played in the NBA isn't on any team's to do list.

Hopefully next summer the Spurs can sign him for the LLE. If he fights that, then just trade him to whoever for a second round pick.

T Park
07-03-2006, 06:17 PM
Id rather keep around Eric Williams.

This aint Ron Mercer folks, this guy can ACTUALLY contribute, and play good D.

Give the guy a chance before dumping him.

Bruno
07-03-2006, 06:18 PM
It's hard for me to imagine anyone trading for Scola this summer. Using your MLE for an undersized PF who has never played in the NBA isn't on any team's to do list.

Reports say that Garbajosa will sign $12M/3 years contract.
He is a PF, is older than Scola, is more undersized than Scola and Scola is a better player.

ChumpDumper
07-03-2006, 06:19 PM
If the Wiz aren't doing anything else this summer, maybe we could trade Scola for someone like Peter John Ramos. He's still a project, but a huge one with mean streak. If I felt greedy I'd ask for Blatche.

exstatic
07-03-2006, 06:20 PM
Kryapa, as Sequ would say, blows.
Blows? He averages 4.4 boards in 21 minutes, shoots 46% and 34% from downtown and can defend some, rumor has it.

Folks, there are NO perfect long 3s available on our budget. There will be something lacking in anyone we get. You have to match the most needed criterion and hope the rest doesn't suck too bad. Kevin Garnett isn't coming.

Quadzilla99
He is a PF, is older than Scola, is more undersized than Scola and Scola is a better player.

In my opinion the Spurs just have a very low opinion of Scola. The odds of getting a decent center with the MLE are very low. They should use it for a wing player then.

timvp

Garbagoja is also a free agent. Luis Scola was a pick. Manu, and Scola for that matter, would have gotten big contracts if they were undrafted.

Giving Scola $4M a year would make him the highest paid second round draft pick ever.

Quadzilla99
07-03-2006, 06:22 PM
Garbagoja is also a free agent. Luis Scola was a pick. Manu, and Scola for that matter, would have gotten big contracts if they were undrafted.

Giving Scola $4M a year would make him the highest paid second round draft pick ever.

Why would he lower his demands next year? After the Spurs forced him play another year overseas.

Bruno
07-03-2006, 06:23 PM
Garbagoja is also a free agent. Luis Scola was a pick.

I don't say Spurs will get a lot for him if they trade him but that some teams are ready to spend $4M/year for what you call "an undersized unproven PF".

timvp
07-03-2006, 06:23 PM
Why would he lower his demands next year? After the Spurs forced him play another year overseas.

Because he has no choice. It's either sign with the Spurs or play with Tau the rest of his career.

Quadzilla99
07-03-2006, 06:26 PM
^^If he sits out one year after his contract with Tau expires he is a free agent so he has leverage and at that point probably plenty of animosity.

exstatic
07-03-2006, 06:27 PM
The stupid thing is that if Scola wanted to come, he could borrow against the entire value of the contract, and make his buyout easily. Tau is being stupid, too. Next summer, they get nothing.

Kori Ellis
07-03-2006, 06:29 PM
^^If he sits out one year after his contract with Tau expires he is a free agent so he has leverage and at that point probably plenty of animosity.

I don't think he'd sit out a year during his prime.

exstatic
I don't say Spurs will get a lot for him if they trade him but that some teams are ready to spend $4M/year for what you call "an undersized unproven PF".
1) Next year, they don't have to pay him enough for a buyout.
2) He can score in the post. That is a redundancy for us, but a luxury for other teams.

Bruno
The stupid thing is that if Scola wanted to come, he could borrow against the entire value of the contract, and make his buyout easily. Tau is being stupid, too. Next summer, they get nothing.

Scola has still 2 years left on his contract.

timvp
07-03-2006, 06:31 PM
Scola has still 2 years left on his contract.

:lol

Are you kidding? It's always been reported that this was Scola's second to last year under contract.

I guess Scola in 2008-09 then.

Bruno
07-03-2006, 06:31 PM
1) Next year, they don't have to pay him enough for a buyout.
2) He can score in the post. That is a redundancy for us, but a luxury for other teams.

1) Tau is BB team. They want to win titles too. they rather have Scola who is their best players for one more year than a small buyout like $1M.

2) Agree that's why I say "some teams".

Quadzilla99
07-03-2006, 06:33 PM
I don't think he'd sit out a year during his prime.

How many players in sports holdout or threaten to hold out to get their contracts renegotiated in sports? They don't get paid while they holdout yet every year tons do it.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-03-2006, 06:34 PM
How many players in sports holdout or threaten to hold out to get their contracts renegotiated in sports? They don't get paid while they holdout yet every year tons do it.

And yet they all sign contracts and end up playing.

There's a slight difference between skipping training camp and signing prior to the first game of the season and sitting out a whole fucking year.

Show me a pro who has sat out a year in recent memory that was any good.

Bruno
07-03-2006, 06:35 PM

Are you kidding? It's always been reported that this was Scola's second to last year under contract.

I guess Scola in 2008-09 then.

Scola is a free agent in July 2008. Tau has made him an offer : big salary raise + 3 years extension (until 2011).

http://www.sport.es/default.asp?idpublicacio_PK=44&idioma=CAS&idnoticia_PK=316437&idseccio_PK=808&h=060625

Así las cosas, la única opción para el salto ahora a la NBA de Scola es que San Antonio intercambiara sus derechos con otro equipo. Pero, mientras, el Tau Vitoria no se duerme en los laureles y ya le ha presentado una megaoferta al ala-pívot cuyo actual contrato expira en el 2008. La misma pasaría por una ampliación del vínculo, como mínimo, hasta el 2011 lo que haría que el jugador decidiera olvidarse casi por completo de jugar en la liga profesional estadounidense. Diversas perspectivas en ese sueño que, en algún caso, puede quedarse en eso. Habrá que verlo.

Quadzilla99
07-03-2006, 06:41 PM
And yet they all sign contracts and end up playing.

There's a slight difference between skipping training camp and signing prior to the first game of the season and sitting out a whole fucking year.

Show me a pro who has sat out a year in recent memory that was any good.

It nevers gets to that point because usually teams see that the player is serious after a while and negotiate.

Kori Ellis
07-03-2006, 06:43 PM

But he'd actually have to go through with it .. not just threaten. And sit out an entire year just for the slight chance that he gets picked up by an NBA team the following year. He would probably rather just stay in Europe than do that.

timvp
07-03-2006, 06:43 PM
Scola is a free agent in July 2008. Tau has made him an offer : big salary raise + 3 years extension (until 2011).

http://www.sport.es/default.asp?idpublicacio_PK=44&idioma=CAS&idnoticia_PK=316437&idseccio_PK=808&h=060625

If Scola is thinking about signing that, the Spurs better trade him now. I'd take a Suns' second round pick if the alternative is nothing.

Kori Ellis
07-03-2006, 06:44 PM

Damn. I always thought he only had one year left on his current contract.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-03-2006, 06:46 PM
It nevers gets to that point because usually teams see that the player is serious after a while and negotiate.

So why in the fuck are you advocating the guy sitting out one year of prime salary earning in what is a limited time for a career just for the chance, not even a guarantee, of getting an NBA team worried enough about him to give him more than they think he's worth?

It doesn't make any sense, and your argument about NFL players holding out for more money isn't a valid comparison.

ChumpDumper
07-03-2006, 06:47 PM
If Scola is thinking about signing that, the Spurs better trade him now. I'd take a Suns' second round pick if the alternative is nothing.I think that's the kind of thing we're looking at, but the Suns aren't going to be that team.

Quadzilla99
07-03-2006, 06:52 PM
But he'd actually have to go through with it .. not just threaten. And sit out an entire year just for the slight chance that he gets picked up by an NBA team the following year. He would probably rather just stay in Europe than do that.

I could definitely see him accepting what the Spurs or some other team wants ($2-3 million) want to play in the NBA. I could also see him being very upset that the Spurs are saying this is what you get like it or not and basically forcing him to take whatever they decide to offer him. Then him saying wait Oberto gets 2.5 a year and Garbajosa 4 million a year? Screw this. Every player who ever holds out is threatening to sit out a year. Emmett sat out the first 2 games of '93 and many other players sit out until well into the season every year in all sports. Teams sign them because they believe they will.

Look all I'm saying the idea that next year he's going to drop all his demands and take $2 million a year is questionable at best and I don't know why everybody thinks that.

Bruno
07-03-2006, 06:53 PM
If Scola is thinking about signing that, the Spurs better trade him now. I'd take a Suns' second round pick if the alternative is nothing.

I think he will sign this extension if he doesn't play in nba next year : it's a lot of guaranteed money.
nba is now (with Spurs or another team) or never for Scola.

Kori Ellis
07-03-2006, 06:54 PM
Look all I'm saying the idea that next year he's going to drop all his demands and take $2 million a year is questionable at best and I don't know why everybody thinks that.

I don't think that. I don't think he'll come to the NBA next year either. (As Bruno just pointed out, his contract isn't up next summer).

Even last summer, I didn't think he'd ever be in a Spurs uniform.

I don't get why he would be mad at the Spurs in all this though. The Spurs never promised him that they'd pay him whatever it takes to get him here. It's not the Spurs fault he has a buyout clause.

Quadzilla99
07-03-2006, 07:02 PM
So why in the fuck are you advocating the guy sitting out one year of prime salary earning in what is a limited time for a career just for the chance, not even a guarantee, of getting an NBA team worried enough about him to give him more than they think he's worth?

It doesn't make any sense, and your argument about NFL players holding out for more money isn't a valid comparison.

Players in all sports hold out or do not report. Alonzo Mourning, Jim Jackson missed half his rookie year, Kiki Vandeweighe his rookie year, Adrian Dantley in Utah, Rony Seikaly in Golden State, etc. etc.

The idea that he is just going to accept $2 million a year next year is questionable at best. He might I could see it happening but it's not a given. Especially when the Spurs just seem to be saying you're getting this whether you like it or not.

I never advocated holding out just said he wouldn't necessarily bow down and take whatever we decided to offer him next year. Why evryone assumes that is beyond me. I never advocated that just don't see why he would just totally cave next year.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-03-2006, 07:03 PM
The only person to blame for Luis Scola's problems is Luis Scola. He has no right to sign a ten year contract with a ridiculous buyout and then be pissed for the Spurs not ponying up to correct his stupidity.

Quadzilla99
07-03-2006, 07:06 PM
If he has 2 years left on his deal it's all moot anyways. But if he thinks he's worth $4 million in the NBA he's not necessarily going to decide one day he isn't and just take whatever the Spurs offer. That's my whole point.

Kori Ellis
07-03-2006, 07:09 PM
If he has 2 years left on his deal it's all moot anyways. But if he thinks he's worth $4 million in the NBA he's not necessarily going to decide one day he isn't and just take whatever the Spurs offer. That's my whole point.

I still doubt he'd ever sit out a whole year and not play anywhere just on the small chance that he'd get a $4M NBA contract the following year.

If NBA team thought he was worth $4M/year, then they'd be making a deal for him right now.

Mr. Body
07-03-2006, 07:10 PM
At this point, the only thing I'd fault the Spurs for doing is not renouncing Scola's rights and let him find his way into the league. Obviously this doesn't make basketball sense, but it does kill his chances of ever playing in the NBA.

spurschick
07-03-2006, 07:14 PM
I am still a bit curious as to whether Scola would do well in the NBA, but I've kind of lost my excitement for him. It's like having someone dangling a carrot out of your reach for a long time... eventually, you realize you're not going to get it and you lose interest. I'd like to see something finally come of the rights though.

Solid D
07-03-2006, 07:18 PM
Khryapa ended up being used by Nate more in the low post. His outside shot wasn't good enough to play on the wing for the Blazers. It took them a while to figure out where he likes to play and score...and that place is using his inside footwork and short-range game.

I like a lot of things about his offensive skills but he's not proven to be a wing.

danyel
07-03-2006, 07:22 PM
I'd bet the Spurs would trade Scola's right for a 2nd round pick. Maybe there isn't a team trying hard enough to get him either.

diego
07-03-2006, 07:31 PM
theres a reason a 16 year old kid got a ten year contract with a ridiculous buyout clause in the first place: dudes a stud. even if his game doesnt translate well to the NBA you are guaranteed he will adapt to the best of his ability and compete. So at the very worst your looking at a bench low post scorer with lots of hustle. theres plenty of teams that will risk 4million if thats the worst case scenario. I really find it hard to believe the spurs cant use him as trade bait.

i think he would do really well on the bulls too. hinrich would feed him well and chandlers only good for D anyway, might as well put an offense only player next to him.

ChumpDumper
07-03-2006, 07:37 PM
So at the very worst your looking at a bench low post scorer with lots of hustle. theres plenty of teams that will risk 4million if thats the worst case scenario.Really?

Who?

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-03-2006, 07:49 PM
At this point, the only thing I'd fault the Spurs for doing is not renouncing Scola's rights and let him find his way into the league. Obviously this doesn't make basketball sense, but it does kill his chances of ever playing in the NBA.

Why do you fault the Spurs for not wanting to let go of a piece that could be a nice throw in for a trade?

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-03-2006, 07:50 PM
theres a reason a 16 year old kid got a ten year contract with a ridiculous buyout clause in the first place: dudes a stud. .

The only reason he signed that deal was because both him and his agent were fucking idiots. Stud? Hardly.

exstatic
07-03-2006, 07:53 PM
Khryapa ended up being used by Nate more in the low post. His outside shot wasn't good enough to play on the wing for the Blazers. It took them a while to figure out where he likes to play and score...and that place is using his inside footwork and short-range game.

I like a lot of things about his offensive skills but he's not proven to be a wing.

He may not have the handle, but 34% from the arc isn't chopped liver. Even better if he has a post game. Dallas would be forced to have Dirk cover either him or Tim in the post. Not Dirk's game. He can also draw Dirk out to the arc and reduce his rebounding effectiveness. If they try to put one of their 6'6" 6'7" greyhounds on him, he punishes them in the post. Bonus.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-03-2006, 07:54 PM
The only problem with this discussion is that the Spurs are probably not even thinking about it.

Dude's definitely a project though.

exstatic
07-03-2006, 08:26 PM
The only problem with this discussion is that the Spurs are probably not even thinking about it.
You're probably right.

Dude's definitely a project though.

Anyone we get likely will be a "project"

TDMVPDPOY
07-03-2006, 08:48 PM
how about we trade nazr+scolas right to suns for diaw+filler

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-03-2006, 08:49 PM
Yeah, I'm sure the Suns will give up Diaw for our scraps. :lol

Quadzilla99
07-03-2006, 08:53 PM
Diaw is a stud. I can't wait to see he is able to do in the next couple of years.

TDMVPDPOY
07-03-2006, 09:07 PM
the question is, will the suns give him max or anywhere between 8-10mill.

i hope sum retard team doesnt get involve in trade talks with them for marion to keep their payroll under 70mill.

Nbadan
07-03-2006, 09:42 PM
Before the 06 NBA draft Scola was a top ten pick, according to some of you, now he's 2nd round table scraps? This forum moves fast.

SequSpur
07-03-2006, 09:43 PM
This topic is exstatic's wet dream. Please move to the adult forum.

strangeweather
07-03-2006, 09:49 PM
theres a reason a 16 year old kid got a ten year contract with a ridiculous buyout clause in the first place: dudes a stud.
I bet the 10 year contract wasn't guaranteed on Tau's end. So my guess is that they would offer that deal to any kid with potential -- though a lot of kids wouldn't sign a deal with such obscene terms.

If the kid goes nowhere, they cut him. If he blows up, they hold onto his rights forever.

Actually, it reminds me of some of the record contracts bands sign.

gregpschneid
07-03-2006, 11:02 PM

That's what happens when your minutes fluctuate. Can't do too well with 0 minutes, I was impressed with him from what I've seen.

gregpschneid
07-03-2006, 11:05 PM
Before the 06 NBA draft Scola was a top ten pick, according to some of you, now he's 2nd round table scraps? This forum moves fast.

Teams just don't want to pay him over 4 million his first year. Scola really made a mistake signing that contract.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-03-2006, 11:32 PM
That's what happens when your minutes fluctuate. Can't do too well with 0 minutes, I was impressed with him from what I've seen.

I had him on one of my fantasy teams (my dynasty here on Spurstalk). I watched him closely, he would start, get a bucket and a board or two in the first two minutes of the game, and be subbed out with 3-4 minutes left in the first quarter with a bucket and a board or two.

He's one of those types where the first 3 minutes of court time he sees you know how his night is going to go and that's all she wrote.

gregpschneid
07-04-2006, 12:57 AM
I had him on one of my fantasy teams (my dynasty here on Spurstalk). I watched him closely, he would start, get a bucket and a board or two in the first two minutes of the game, and be subbed out with 3-4 minutes left in the first quarter with a bucket and a board or two.

He's one of those types where the first 3 minutes of court time he sees you know how his night is going to go and that's all she wrote.

True, I bet he'll turn out to be a more consistent player though. He's pretty good defensively from what I've seen.