PDA

View Full Version : Lindsay Hunter is staying - future FO position promised

Solid D
07-03-2006, 11:45 PM
Hunter Sticks With Pistons
4th July, 2006 - 12:17 am
Michigan Live - The Detroit Pistons may have lost Ben Wallace to Chicago, but they did not lose Lindsey Hunter, who was being chased by Phoenix.

According to A. Sherrod Blakely from Michigan Live, Hunter will stay in Detroit after he agreed to terms. He will sign a two-year deal worth about $4.5 million on July 12, the first day players can sign contracts.

When his contract is up, Hunter will also be given a position within the organization, primarily assisting president of basketball operations, Joe Dumars.

"That's what makes this all really special, an opportunity to work with Joe when my playing days are over," Hunter said. "I'm looking forward to playing, but I'm also looking forward to what lies ahead for me when I'm done playing, too."

Hunter said the Phoenix Suns showed a lot of interest, but his desire was to return to Detroit.

"This is where I wanted to be," Hunter said. "I wasn't real thrilled with the idea of moving my family, so this worked out great."

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-03-2006, 11:54 PM
The promise of a front office position seems like it would violate the league's CBA rules.

Burn531
07-03-2006, 11:54 PM
4.5 million? WTF!

JamStone
07-04-2006, 12:14 AM
Two year deal.

$2.25 million per year. Is it that outrageous?

With Ben signing elsewhere, the Pistons could affort to extend a little larger contract to Lindsey. Plus the Phoenix Suns made an offer that was probably worth around $3.2-3.5 million.

Dumars was rewarding loyalty. $4.5 million might be a little high, but it's pro sports. Everyone is overpaid in pro sports.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-04-2006, 12:21 AM
How much money can they give a center now?

Kori Ellis
07-04-2006, 12:21 AM
Did you have some kind of Bird's Rights on Lindsey? Or did you use part of the MLE on him?

Kori Ellis
07-04-2006, 12:22 AM
How much money can they give a center now?

They should have their MLE to offer Przybilla:)

ChumpDumper
07-04-2006, 12:23 AM
He had been there for three years straight, so Bird rights.

That does mean they don't and didn't have any cap space greater than the MLE.

Bob Lanier
07-04-2006, 12:24 AM
$2.25 million per year. Is it that outrageous?
Yes. Anything more than the league minimum is outrageous for a player like Lindsey. I love what he can do to harrass scorers occasionally, but he's such a god-awful playmaker that he's not an asset when he's on the floor for extended periods of time (although I have to give him credit for outplaying the Chucker in the ECF). If he's playing in front of Blalock, something's wrong - and if he's doing nothing but mentoring Blalock and Acker, then he doesn't deserve anything more than the veteran's minimum.

Besides, after the Ben fiasco, this is practically blowing the bank for that cheap 83-year-old motherfucker.

ChumpDumper
07-04-2006, 12:26 AM
Maybe they gave him a Danny Ferry deal. Nonguaranteed second year they can trade to a team that will cut him for cap savings.

Kori Ellis
07-04-2006, 12:26 AM
That does mean they don't and didn't have any cap space greater than the MLE.

I don't think they do. They had committed salary of about $46M without Ben or Lindsey. So I think they only have the MLE (and maybe the LLE).

ChumpDumper
07-04-2006, 12:29 AM
Yeah, Hunter and Acker's unrenounced values ate up any space that could've been over the total of the exceptions.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-04-2006, 12:29 AM
I don't think they do. They had committed salary of about $46M without Ben or Lindsey. So I think they only have the MLE (and maybe the LLE).
So are we like guaranteed either Nazr or Przybilla?