PDA

View Full Version : pocket aces

kris
07-04-2006, 01:11 AM
I've got them twice in the last two days. Going heads up, I won against J2 and lost against 67 suited (two pair on flop).

How has your luck been with them?

Does anybody know the percentage they win heads up? Or possibly against 2 others?

Das Texan
07-04-2006, 01:49 AM
pocket aces hates me.

i win maybe 40% of the time with them.

MannyIsGod
07-04-2006, 01:58 AM
pocket aces hates me.

i win maybe 40% of the time with them.
:lmao

Sorry dude, you're not good enough to defy statitical law.

Aces win about 83% of the time over a smaller pair. Against 2 under cards, it depends on what they are but the best 2 cards against pocket aces are 67 suited and aces still win 75% of the time.

Das Texan
07-04-2006, 02:37 AM
:lmao

Sorry dude, you're not good enough to defy statitical law.

Aces win about 83% of the time over a smaller pair. Against 2 under cards, it depends on what they are but the best 2 cards against pocket aces are 67 suited and aces still win 75% of the time.

no its just that pocket aces hates me.

with cowboys i end up winning about 85% of the time. I love htat hand.

rockets is my kryptonite.

i threw them away once it was that bad for a while.

Melmart1
07-04-2006, 02:38 AM
Pocket Queens hate me, I always lose with those bitches.

Pocket Aces on the other hand... I always seem to flop trips and was only beaten once by a guy who had a full house. Fucker.

kris
07-04-2006, 02:40 AM
no its just that pocket aces hates me.

with cowboys i end up winning about 85% of the time. I love htat hand.

rockets is my kryptonite.

i threw them away once it was that bad for a while.

Don't believe it. Not preflop anyway.

So many people complain about pocket aces, but no matter how many times I lose with them, I'd still like to have them.

timvp
07-04-2006, 02:53 AM
I went like two or three months without getting pocket aces until the last time I played. Got 'em twice and won both hands.

2centsworth
07-04-2006, 03:07 AM
Key to playing AA is to play them heads up if possible.

MannyIsGod
07-04-2006, 03:42 AM
Key to playing AA is to play them heads up if possible.
Amen. When I first started playing I've love to see callers when I had aces. Now I fucking dread it.

scott
07-04-2006, 08:00 AM
Here is a story about a pair of rockets that fatefully found themselves to me at the Mirage not but 3 weeks ago.

Warning... this is so sick it may not be safe for work. Bring your own barf bag.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1077516&postcount=52

Clandestino
07-04-2006, 08:04 AM
Here is a story about a pair of rockets that fatefully found themselves to me at the Mirage not but 3 weeks ago.

Warning... this is so sick it may not be safe for work. Bring your own barf bag.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1077516&postcount=52

that sucks...

Jimcs50
07-04-2006, 11:45 AM
This is true story. I am playing online right now, I go to club and see thid thread, click on it and boom, I get AA at that very moment. I win after the guy to my right bets 200 on 9 6 3 flop, and I raise to 400.

But it was unbelievable that I got AA right after open this thread.

:spin

Jimcs50
07-04-2006, 11:50 AM
I've got them twice in the last two days. Going heads up, I won against J2 and lost against 67 suited (two pair on flop).

How has your luck been with them?

Does anybody know the percentage they win heads up? Or possibly against 2 others?

AA should never allow 67 or J2 to stay in the game. You should always raise the pot large enough to chase that trash out.

SequSpur
07-04-2006, 12:08 PM
If I get AA or KK, I am going all in as soon as I can. You don't want some bullshit taken your glory.

kris
07-04-2006, 01:02 PM
AA should never allow 67 or J2 to stay in the game. You should always raise the pot large enough to chase that trash out.

I raised to 350 when the blinds were at 50-100. There was only four other players at the table and I did want one caller or else my dominating hand was wasted. Some people are bold enough to stay on hands like that or possibly believe I was trying to steal blinds - I don't think he thought I was trying to steal though.

With how the table was, I'm not going to go all-in and just win a small and big blind for the best preflop hand.

The other day I made it to the final two tables of a 167 tournament. I was average well off on chips, but I needed to make a move to keep up with the blinds and other stacks. The blinds were 1-2000 and I had one caller in front of me with the small blind after me. I got A4 and went all-in for 6,600 on top. Small folds. Big folds. Caller calls with 98 suited and hits a straight.

Not to say A4 was an overpowering hand in a situation, but the guy staying in trying to see a "cheap" flop didn't know what I had but he was bold enough to play. The loss would have crippled him. If I get beat on those, I get beat. If you play, you deserve to win. 89s isn't bad anyway.

ps thanks Kori

kris
07-04-2006, 01:05 PM
If I get AA or KK, I am going all in as soon as I can. You don't want some bullshit taken your glory.

Noted.

I can imagine the blinds being 10-25 and you going all in for 1500. Even if you had 27os you could have my big blind for that much.

Phil Hellmuth
07-04-2006, 01:38 PM
Not playing your aces correctly will lose you money in the long run believe it or not. (profit wise)

Jimcs50
07-04-2006, 01:44 PM

Again, you do not want to go all in, unless you are short stacked or going against someone who is short stacked. Just make a big raise and when the flop comes and it does not help the bastard with the 89 much, he will fold to your pot sized or larger bet. If you go all in, then your aces are susceptable to the lucky runner runner cards on the turn and river, and you are hopless to do anything about it.

AA is a powerful hand only preflop and in other ceratian circumstances.

TDMVPDPOY
07-04-2006, 02:00 PM
you also gotto remember how the clowns shuffle the cards, and u can actually see the trend of the cards on the table, thats what i usually do when playin with friends.

MannyIsGod
07-04-2006, 02:42 PM
Aces are awesome in limit and tournament games, and they are defiently awesome in NL cash games. But in NL cash games, the notion that you win small pots and lose big ones with aces is almost true. You can lose a hell of a lot of big pots with them.

2centsworth
07-04-2006, 03:11 PM
Just got my AA cracked to J3. Flop came j95 I raised the pot he call turn comes a 2 I go all-in he calls and hits his 3 on the river.

Jimcs50
07-05-2006, 11:03 AM
Just got my AA cracked to J3. Flop came j95 I raised the pot he call turn comes a 2 I go all-in he calls and hits his 3 on the river.

Now see? I would never allow J-3 to stay in a game when I have Pocket Rockets. I always raise the blinds at least 300% with AA. Only a fool stays in with 3-J with a 300% raise. I want KK, QQ JJ AK to stay in, but not anything else.

2centsworth
07-05-2006, 11:59 AM
Now see? I would never allow J-3 to stay in a game when I have Pocket Rockets. I always raise the blinds at least 300% with AA. Only a fool stays in with 3-J with a 300% raise. I want KK, QQ JJ AK to stay in, but not anything else.
I raised 3.5x the blinds and the guy called. I'm perfectly happy with the call too. I was an 83% favorite before and after the flop, and then an 89% favorite on the turn. I'm putting all my money in everytime, if he sucks out sobeit. If the best hand won everytime Poker would not be nearly as popular and profitable for good players.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
07-05-2006, 12:43 PM

That's not always true, especially if you are in late position and the blinds are folded around, the last thing you want is to get no action with your pocket A's

Jimcs50
07-05-2006, 01:10 PM
That's not always true, especially if you are in late position and the blinds are folded around, the last thing you want is to get no action with your pocket A's

As I said, you want action from good hands(KK, QQ, JJ), not 3 J. You can not read the flop when someone has 3 J.....If 3 5 9 flops, you are dead meat, because you will bet huge on that flop, and he will just call probably, then you have to deal with the boat coming up as well.

However, if KK, QQ or JJ calls, and the flop delivers a set to one of those, then they will reraise you and you will see that they have the set, you fold and all you lost is about 600% of the blinds and not your whole stack.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
07-05-2006, 01:24 PM
As I said, you want action from good hands(KK, QQ, JJ), not 3 J. You can not read the flop when someone has 3 J.....If 3 5 9 flops, you are dead meat, because you will bet huge on that flop, and he will just call probably, then you have to deal with the boat coming up as well.

However, if KK, QQ or JJ calls, and the flop delivers a set to one of those, then they will reraise you and you will see that they have the set, you fold and all you lost is about 600% of the blinds and not your whole stack.

That is retarded, no way could you get out of pocket A's and lose only 6x the bb, if thats how you play it, then you are costing yourself tons of money.

Phil Hellmuth
07-05-2006, 01:37 PM
People who can't throw away AA make me sick especially in no limit games.

saw someone lose 1000 after showing his KK and his full boat on flop to the other dude (600 was in the pot already on flop), and the other guy didnt care and called with his AA. River came out A and wins the pot.

2centsworth
07-05-2006, 01:41 PM
People who can't throw away AA make me sick especially in no limit games.

saw someone lose 1000 after showing his KK and his full boat on flop to the other dude (600 was in the pot already on flop), and the other guy didnt care and called with his AA. River came out A and wins the pot.If you make a habit of folding AA because a K Q or J flops then you're a very weak player. I've laid AA down before but it's usually to Str8 and Flushes. If you're lucky enough to hit your 8 to 1 long shot trips on the flop then you got me.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-05-2006, 01:45 PM
Do you guys play on pokerfunclub.com?

From the 2-3 different programs I've tried that is by far the best and most realistic.

MannyIsGod
07-05-2006, 01:45 PM
I raised 3.5x the blinds and the guy called. I'm perfectly happy with the call too. I was an 83% favorite before and after the flop, and then an 89% favorite on the turn. I'm putting all my money in everytime, if he sucks out sobeit. If the best hand won everytime Poker would not be nearly as popular and profitable for good players.Exactly.

PeterBurns
07-05-2006, 01:48 PM
Played in a 50 man $50 tournament this weekend. Saw AA go 5-3.
Crazy happening with pocket pairs late. We were down to 10 players.
There was a AA, KK, QQ, and a 99.

3 All in's.
Amazingly the QQ folded after the 3rd all in.
A King came on the turn.
Gladly I had crap and folded early. The KK took out 2 large stacks.
Ouch.

Got 1st though...$1000.

MannyIsGod
07-05-2006, 01:48 PM
If you make a habit of folding AA because a K Q or J flops then you're a very weak player. I've laid AA down before but it's usually to Str8 and Flushes. If you're lucky enough to hit your 8 to 1 long shot trips on the flop then you got me.I nkow I've IMed people with someone of my best laydowns because of reads, but I rarely fold AA post flop. Yeah, you end up going in as a loser a good amount of times, but you lose way more value if you start folding winning hands against bad playes because you're scared of a set or 2 pair.

I'm with you here as well, if you see an obvious flush or straight on the board there are times you have to give credit for the hand but those times are few and far between.

MannyIsGod
07-05-2006, 02:00 PM
Jim, if someone flops botom pair on me then wants to draw with only 5 outs to their 2 pair while I'm throwing out near pot sized bets, then I'm very happy about that.

Jimcs50
07-05-2006, 02:10 PM
Jim, if someone flops botom pair on me then wants to draw with only 5 outs to their 2 pair while I'm throwing out near pot sized bets, then I'm very happy about that.

I have seen AA cracked with hands like 8-10 Q-4 more than KK, QQ or JJ by a 3-1 margin.

BTW did nobody think it odd that I got AA the very second that I opned this thread??? This was the point of my post in here.

Jimcs50
07-05-2006, 02:14 PM
Let me share someting that happened to me on Sunday night in a 33+3 9 man Sit and Go tourney.

2nd hand- I get QQ, and I flop a set- win hand

3rd hand- I get 99, and I flop a set-take someone out when he goes all in

4th hand- I get QQ, and I flop a set-take 2 people out on all ins

I won the tourney, btw.

Never have I seen someone flopping a set 3 straight hands. Have any of you ever seen this?

This blew me away.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
07-05-2006, 02:36 PM
Let me share someting that happened to me on Sunday night in a 33+3 9 man Sit and Go tourney.

2nd hand- I get QQ, and I flop a set- win hand

3rd hand- I get 99, and I flop a set-take someone out when he goes all in

4th hand- I get QQ, and I flop a set-take 2 people out on all ins

I won the tourney, btw.

Never have I seen someone flopping a set 3 straight hands. Have any of you ever seen this?

This blew me away.

I've had a few cardrushes similar, not as good as that though, but in heads up limit, i've flopped sets with pocket 5's two hands in a row, and made about 100 bucks in those two hands.

PeterBurns
07-05-2006, 02:37 PM
Was waiting for it. But in live tournaments the time per hand takes so long, you don't see enough hands to get that many PP's.

Although lost about $40 against Set versus Set after the flop about a week ago.
Brutal

2centsworth
07-05-2006, 02:40 PM
I have seen AA cracked with hands like 8-10 Q-4 more than KK, QQ or JJ by a 3-1 margin.

BTW did nobody think it odd that I got AA the very second that I opned this thread??? This was the point of my post in here.How about the hands in the muck to your AA.

btw, went on a similar rush playing Omaha HL limit. Hit eveything and quadrupled my money within 10 hands.

tlongII
07-05-2006, 03:11 PM
I've heard of pocket pool, but not pocket aces.

Phil Hellmuth
07-05-2006, 03:45 PM
I've laid AA down before but it's usually to Str8 and Flushes. If you're lucky enough to hit your 8 to 1 long shot trips on the flop then you got me.

stats are nice but reads and betting patterns picking up that your AA might be beat is more important in games with a load of money.

tourneys and sit n go's i would go by stats, but in cash games, i don't wanna go broke because one dumb move

As the Grinder says, Cash games you don't have to rush to make money, pick your spots where you are comfortable and make money there, don't force yourself to make money in tough situations.

MannyIsGod
07-05-2006, 03:55 PM

BTW did nobody think it odd that I got AA the very second that I opned this thread??? This was the point of my post in here.
Thats because cards like 8-10 and Q-4 are better against pocket aces than a lower pair. A lower pair is only drawing to 2 outs in order to win unless you get a really unlikely 4 flush or 4 to a straight on the board.

That doesn't mean either is a good situation to be in, one is just worse than the other.

MannyIsGod
07-05-2006, 03:56 PM
stats are nice but reads and betting patterns picking up that your AA might be beat is more important in games with a load of money.

tourneys and sit n go's i would go by stats, but in cash games, i don't wanna go broke because one dumb move

As the Grinder says, Cash games you don't have to rush to make money, pick your spots where you are comfortable and make money there, don't force yourself to make money in tough situations.
This is pretty much spot on. Learning to pick your spots in cash games is such an important lesson to pick up. In tourneys you have to force the action much of the time, but in cash games you can make much more patient and comlpex moves.

Jimcs50
07-05-2006, 04:06 PM
This is pretty much spot on. Learning to pick your spots in cash games is such an important lesson to pick up. In tourneys you have to force the action much of the time, but in cash games you can make much more patient and comlpex moves.

Not talking about cash games, talking about tourneys...whole different animal.

MannyIsGod
07-05-2006, 04:09 PM
Not talking about cash games, talking about tourneys...whole different animal.You're right. In a tourney I'm far less likely to worry about anything up against my pocket aces and I'm probably going to play them much harder unless I have a very deep stack and I'm going against someone else with a very deep stack.

I'm not going to play aces weak in a tourney, ever.

2centsworth
07-05-2006, 04:12 PM

This is str8 out the mouth of Daniel Negreanu, don't kid yourself thinking you can get strong reads in online poker.

MannyIsGod
07-05-2006, 04:23 PM
This is str8 out the mouth of Daniel Negreanu, don't kid yourself thinking you can get strong reads in online poker.Oh I completely disagree that there aren't strong reads to be had in online poker. You don't get classic tells, but you sure as hell get a good way to track betting patterns with your notes. There are several regular players that I play with who I have lines upon lines of notes and I can tell you what they have a ton of the time.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
07-05-2006, 04:27 PM
This is str8 out the mouth of Daniel Negreanu, don't kid yourself thinking you can get strong reads in online poker.

mmm... in lower limits, you can pay attention to players that use the "instant call" or "instant fold" buttons, and use that for your advantage.

But other than that, its all about betting patterns.

2centsworth
07-05-2006, 04:32 PM
Oh I completely disagree that there aren't strong reads to be had in online poker. You don't get classic tells, but you sure as hell get a good way to track betting patterns with your notes. There are several regular players that I play with who I have lines upon lines of notes and I can tell you what they have a ton of the time.
you might be right because DN sucks at online play. lol

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
07-05-2006, 04:52 PM
you might be right because DN sucks at online play. lol

But he is still one of the best live players, he's at his 3rd final table at the WSOP.

2centsworth
07-05-2006, 05:14 PM
But he is still one of the best live players, he's at his 3rd final table at the WSOP.
he might be the best. He would have to be atleast in the top 5.

kris
07-05-2006, 05:25 PM
Played in a 50 man $50 tournament this weekend. Saw AA go 5-3.
Crazy happening with pocket pairs late. We were down to 10 players.
There was a AA, KK, QQ, and a 99.

3 All in's.
Amazingly the QQ folded after the 3rd all in.
A King came on the turn.
Gladly I had crap and folded early. The KK took out 2 large stacks.
Ouch.

Got 1st though...$1000.

Damn. That's impressive. Can you give me some tips?

scott
07-05-2006, 05:42 PM
8-3 offsuit motherfuckers.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
07-05-2006, 06:05 PM
Speaking of bad beats, I just had a 1 outer hit on me. TT vs. 44 flop comes T4x, turn Q, river 4.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
07-05-2006, 06:10 PM
Ouch, at least the dude had quads...

MannyIsGod
07-05-2006, 06:27 PM
Out outers are fun.

Hey remember when I put that 2 outer on you Kurt? :lol

MannyIsGod
07-05-2006, 06:27 PM
Or better yet, remember when I went all in blind and got pocket 8s? I think Scott threw up a little in his mouth that time. :lol

scott
07-05-2006, 07:10 PM
Dude, that always fucking happens. My buddy Jason was down to $3 bucks at our homegame and did that and found pocket Q's hitting trips on the flop when he finally flipped his cards over for the showdown.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
07-05-2006, 07:32 PM
Out outers are fun.

Hey remember when I put that 2 outer on you Kurt? :lol
:vomit: thats all I have to say about that

Jimcs50
07-06-2006, 12:56 PM
Poker Report:

I played with 6 buddies last night at a friend's house in a $1-$2 no limit ring game with $50 buyin and unlimited rebuys. Three guys had rebuy at least once, but I started out well and never had to rebuy which is always good. Anyway, I have never had so many PPs in all my life. I am not exaggerating, I had at least 20 PPs in 3 hrs of poker, and won with them probaby75% of the time. I ended up winning the most money($113.00) so that is nice. My friend Bobby lost the most money, mainly because he had 5 straights and lost to flushes 3 of those times(twice by me) :lol

It sucks to have good hands like that and lose.

There were a lot of big hands, 4 of a kind once, 3-4 Boats, and a bunch of flushes, straights and sets. The biggest pot(my biggest loss) was when two of us had top pair with another pair(K-7) and another guy flopped a set of 4s(he limped in without a raise), needless to say we both called his last raise.

Anyway, just thought I would regale you fellow poker junkies with some trivial crap. :)

scott
07-06-2006, 10:54 PM
Did anyone crack pocket aces with 8-3 offsuit on a massively raised pot preflop? Those are the only games I play in.

2centsworth
07-07-2006, 05:40 PM
I appreciate you guys jinxing me. Ever since this thread I've gotten my AAs cracked 3 times in a row.