PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Spurs still eyeing a center

Solid D
07-04-2006, 01:15 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA070406.3E.nazr.1bd118e.html

Web Posted: 07/04/2006 12:00 AM CDT
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

With Ben Wallace leaving for Chicago and Joel Przybilla mulling an offer to take his place in Detroit, the Spurs' search for a starting center could end in the same place it began.

After Wallace decided to accept a four-year offer worth close to $60 million from the Bulls on Monday evening — trading the team he captained to the 2004 NBA championship for its Central Division rivals — the Pistons moved quickly to replace him by contacting Przybilla. Przybilla, who also had drawn interest from the Spurs and already was weighing an offer to re-sign with Portland, was leaning toward joining the Pistons, his agent said late Monday.

Detroit, like the Spurs, was limited to giving Przybilla its $5million midlevel exception. The Spurs, however, have been hesitant to extend any offer to the maximum five years.

"San Antonio's right up there, but I think Detroit is probably a better fit for Joel," said Bill Duffy, Przybilla's agent. "It will be a good challenge for him. But, again, it's going to be Joel's decision."

Duffy said he expected Przybilla to make his final decision by this morning.

The Spurs also have negotiated with Nazr Mohammed but are waiting for him to establish his market value. Mohammed tabled talks with the Spurs on a four-year extension worth about $5.5 million annually in October, hoping to seek a five-year deal in free agency.

Cleveland is among the teams to express interest in Mohammed. The Spurs, who are allowed to re-sign Mohammed for any amount up to the league's maximum salary, also will explore sign-and-trade scenarios with him, if necessary.

The pool of free-agent centers isn't deep after Mohammed: Jarron Collins, Lorenzen Wright, Scot Pollard, Michael Olowokandi, Jake Voskuhl, Kelvin Cato and Melvin Ely and Jackie Butler, both of whom are restricted.

Milwaukee is trying to move Jamaal Magloire and Philadelphia is listening to offers for Samuel Dalembert, though it's unlikely the Spurs have interest in taking on the $55.7 million left on Dalembert's contract.

If Mohammed receives an offer the Spurs don't want to meet, team officials also aren't opposed to beginning the season with Tim Duncan, Fabricio Oberto and Lithuanian Robertas Javtokas sharing time at center.

While the Spurs continue to look at their free-agent options, they are close to solidifying their summer-league roster.

The team, which will play in the Rocky Mountain Revue July 14-21 in Salt Lake City, is heavy on players with previous professional experience.

Guard Melvin Sanders will join forward Ian Mahinmi, last year's first-round draft pick, in Utah after recovering from the right knee injury he suffered in practice during the playoffs. Sanders played in 16 games for the Spurs last season.

Former Atlanta guard Donta Smith will be on the team. The Hawks designated Smith to the NBA's Developmental League for part of last season.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

Leetonidas
07-04-2006, 01:18 AM
If Mohammed receives an offer the Spurs don't want to meet, team officials also aren't opposed to beginning the season with Tim Duncan, Fabricio Oberto and Lithuanian Robertas Javtokas sharing time at center.

Then I'm guessing Javtokas is a lock.

timvp
07-04-2006, 01:18 AM
The Spurs aren't offering Przybilla the max they can offer?

That's pretty weird. Why even waste time on him then?

Looks like the Spurs could end up with Nazr for a reduced rate. Who woulda thunk it?

:smokin

dknights411
07-04-2006, 01:19 AM
So it seems that we're pretty much set for next season barring a trade involving Nazr. But what about options for a 3rd PG?

ChumpDumper
07-04-2006, 01:19 AM
So we end up with one of Atlanta's small forwards after all :elephant

timvp
07-04-2006, 01:20 AM
So we end up with one of Atlanta's small forwards after all :elephant

:lol

Donta Smith is decent from what I saw of him two years ago in summer league. He's a little stiff legged but still a pretty good athlete.

:drunk

ducks
07-04-2006, 01:21 AM
"San Antonio's right up there, but I think Detroit is probably a better fit for Joel," said Bill Duffy, Przybilla's agent. "It will be a good challenge for him. But, again, it's going to be Joel's decision.

joel is NOT COMING
DAMM IT

clubalien
07-04-2006, 01:21 AM
of FA center K cato and nazr are the only ones I would like. once again spurs lose out on FA because we wouldn't pay. pistons offered more years

Leetonidas
07-04-2006, 01:23 AM
I know Donta Smith is 6'7" but he's listed as a G.

clubalien
also looks like Ian Mahinmi is CONFIRMED for summer leauge

Kori Ellis
I really don't want Nazr back.

I'd take Lorenzen for cheap I guess.

It's kind of funny that the Spurs didn't offer Przy five years. I wonder if they offered their standard 3 year deal. :drunk

timvp
I can't believe the Spurs are being cheap at this point. They unloaded Rasho's contract, Nazr is about to walk but they can't give the best center on the market a max MLE contract. Would a 5-year, $30M contract really break the bank?

Hopefully this is a RC/Pop move and not Holt pulling the purse strings.

ChumpDumper
07-04-2006, 01:24 AM

Donta Smith is decent from what I saw of him two years ago in summer league. He's a little stiff legged but still a pretty good athlete.

:drunkHe looked like he had some potential when he played the Toros, but still quite raw.

ducks
07-04-2006, 01:24 AM
Spurs You Have To Make A Trade For A Center!

Leetonidas
07-04-2006, 01:25 AM
I'm guessing since the Spurs didn't offer a five-year deal that they really are planning on bringing Ian over next year and giving him big minutes.

ChumpDumper
07-04-2006, 01:26 AM
I agree it's pretty stupid not to pull out all the MLE stops for Joel in this market.

I just got the creepy Nazr for Z feeling again.

Sense
Remember last year guys...

Remember Finley with the Miami hype...

Please_dont_ban_me

What...the...fuck...

Are you kidding me? God please at least bring Nazr back.

timvp
He looked like he had some potential when he played the Toros, but still quite raw.

14 points, 4 rebouns, 3 assists and 2 steals per game in DLeague last year. Not bad but not exactly the long SF the Spurs need.

clubalien
07-04-2006, 01:28 AM
I would rather have rasho at this point

Kori Ellis
I'm guessing since the Spurs didn't offer a five-year deal that they really are planning on bringing Ian over next year and giving him big minutes.

I don't know about big minutes next year. But yeah, I guess they are planning on him arriving in the next couple years.

Please_dont_ban_me
If nothing else, bring in Cato...please.

ducks
07-04-2006, 01:29 AM
I wonder if spurs were afraid of joel's health record....

timvp
Spurs are being pretty damn dumb this offseason. They barely had a chance to get Przybilla by offering the whole MLE. But they are sitting there offering only part of it? Is RC high?

Last year free agency dragged on because teams were waiting for the amnesty players to be released. This year, everyone is getting snatched up fast.

But the Spurs are sitting there offering peanuts to the best center on the market while hoping that nobody goes after Nazr.

:bang

T Park
Pryz is off the market.

Bet the Spurs and Nazr get a deal done

4 years prob 18 20 million.

Then they are screwed after Mahinmi comes over.

Looks like Javtokas is a done deal being here :tu

Who out there is worth getting the MLE spent on?

rayray2k8
07-04-2006, 01:30 AM
What...the...fuck...

Are you kidding me? God please at least bring Nazr back.
The spurs need to fill that 5th man postion, because Centers are going very quick.

If the spurs lose Nazr and arent able to sign Joel P. or any Center at all, will it be time to say that trading Rasho was a mistake??? :lol

ducks
07-04-2006, 01:31 AM
IF spurs sign nazr how soon can they trade him

Please_dont_ban_me
At this point, who is interested in Nazr?

Pistons want Pryzbilla...Chicago got Ben Wallace. I guess that leaves the Cavs? I'm guessing we'll be seeing Nazry back in a Spurs uniform next season. God willing. Please. Anything other than Oberto/Javkotas. Move Tim to center and start Horry, whatever it takes. Please.

MannyIsGod
I think its far from stupid to not to jump all over Pryzbilla just because its a bad FA year. There's no need to go marry the ugly girl just because you can't get a date to the prom. I think he would be a decent fit, but all in all he really is just Rasho with a bit more game. I think after the way Rasho turned out, they are hesitant to give a big white guy a large contract and I frankly can't blame them.

Our real need isn't going to be met with Pryzbilla either way. We need a long athlete, and if we can't get him that doesn't mean we should nessecarily go after prybilla. Really, using some of that money on Arizza or Jefferies sounds like a much better option at this point. I am actually glad they aren't creaming their shorts over this guy just yet.

Slinkyman
07-04-2006, 01:32 AM
I would rather have rasho at this point

rock bottom, you have hit rock bottom

Please_dont_ban_me
07-04-2006, 01:32 AM
The spurs need to fill that 5th man postion, because Centers are going very quick.

If the spurs lose Nazr and arent able to sign Joel P. or any Center at all, will it be time to say that trading Rasho was a mistake??? :lol

Unloading that contract wasn't a mistake.

But how in the hell can we not bring in a center. There has to be more to this than meets the eye.

Leetonidas
07-04-2006, 01:34 AM
All we need is a big center who can rebound, block shots, and defend. I'm sure all of the centers out there are capable.

But I really hope the Spurs don't go after Olowakandi

clubalien
07-04-2006, 01:34 AM
small ball to the rescue

MannyIsGod
07-04-2006, 01:35 AM
Man, 2 days ago Timvp hated Pryzbilla now the front office is being stupid by not going after him full throttle. The NBA landscape hasn't drasticaly changed that much over the past 2 days to where Joel Pryzbilla puts the Spurs over the top and makes them the team to beat. As it stands the Spurs are argueably still the favorite to win the West.

I'm not convinced that Joel is so much greater than what Javoktovas or Oberto can do that he's worth blowing the MLE on. I really don't want Nazr back at all, so hopefully the Spurs don't really consider that an option. He hurts the team more and letting him go is addition by subtraction.

Bringing in a guy like Pollard then going after a Jefferies or Arriza is a much better option than just spending money on Pryzbilla.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-04-2006, 01:36 AM
if the spurs trade nazr to cleveland, who will we get? Gooden?

itzsoweezee
07-04-2006, 01:37 AM

sounds fine with me. popovic needs to figure out a lineup and stick with it. the less big men he has to fool around with, the less likelihood he's going to mess it up again. unless of course he decides to go back to small ball. in which case, the spurs aren't winning no matter who they sign.

timvp
I think its far from stupid to not to jump all over Pryzbilla just because its a bad FA year. There's no need to go marry the ugly girl just because you can't get a date to the prom. I think he would be a decent fit, but all in all he really is just Rasho with a bit more game. I think after the way Rasho turned out, they are hesitant to give a big white guy a large contract and I frankly can't blame them.

Our real need isn't going to be met with Pryzbilla either way. We need a long athlete, and if we can't get him that doesn't mean we should nessecarily go after prybilla. Really, using some of that money on Arizza or Jefferies sounds like a much better option at this point. I am actually glad they aren't creaming their shorts over this guy just yet.

I'd agree with you if I was sure the Spurs aren't just going to sit on the savings that trading Rasho and losing Nazr gives Holt.

To me it looks like they will be satisfied to sign Javtokas and a few scrubs and call it an offseason.

Leetonidas
Man, 2 days ago Timvp hated Pryzbilla now the front office is being stupid by not going after him full throttle. The NBA landscape hasn't drasticaly changed that much over the past 2 days to where Joel Pryzbilla puts the Spurs over the top and makes them the team to beat. As it stands the Spurs are argueably still the favorite to win the West.

I'm not convinced that Joel is so much greater than what Javoktovas or Oberto can do that he's worth blowing the MLE on. I really don't want Nazr back at all, so hopefully the Spurs don't really consider that an option. He hurts the team more and letting him go is addition by subtraction.

Bringing in a guy like Pollard then going after a Jefferies or Arriza is a much better option than just spending money on Pryzbilla.

I agree. Pollard would be a good aquisition.

Please_dont_ban_me
When we brought in TP and Manu we had backup plans...

We can't just hope Oberto/Javkotas show up this year, and not have a plan B. We still are the favorites to win, but that's with a serviceable center. Oberto is not a serviceable center.

Hopefully Javkotas is, and at some point takes over the starting center job. But until that happens, have a god damn center Pop please.

picnroll
07-04-2006, 01:39 AM
Looks like the Spurs are going to really slide next year in the standings unless something changes. Can't even see them getting homecourt advantage with other teams getting stronger in the West. And man their depth sucks.

Christ I'm begining to think they're lining up for Oden.

ChumpDumper
07-04-2006, 01:40 AM
Hmmm. Who will miss fewer games next season: Pollard or Cato?

clubalien
well all the people that wanted us to make a go at Jefferies I guess are happy. we can risk them matching our offer since we most likely won't lose out on anyone else

Please_dont_ban_me
You can't be elite every year.

Sometimes you have to sacrifice now to know you can stay good tommorrow. I hope Javkotas pans out, if he doesn't...at this rate...we're fucked.

shyne
07-04-2006, 01:41 AM
They should really just sign Reggie Evans, hes basically Ben Wallace without the blocks, and can prolly shoot better freethrows. And we prolly dont even have to give him the whole MLE.

MannyIsGod
07-04-2006, 01:41 AM
Looks like the Spurs are going to really slide next year in the standings unless something changes. Can't even see them getting homecourt advantage with other teams getting stronger in the West. And man their depth sucks.
WTF?

How is next years team so much different form the team that just won 63 games? Oh yeah, Tim Duncan won't have Plantar Faciatas the whole year. Talk about a huge slide backwards.

Spurs fans are bored and want to have their team on the front page of ESPN.com like every other team in the NBA right now.

T Park
07-04-2006, 01:42 AM
Pollard wouldn't be TOTALLy bad.

Take Ariza and Pargo...

MannyIsGod
When the Spurs bring in Pollard next year and he averages double digit rebounds you will all be want RC for exec of the year.

Solid D

I'm begining to think they're lining up for Oden.

Unless you forgot to include a j/k, I'd say you are being a bit premature in your predictions there Mr. picnrollover. :)

timvp

I didn't hate Przybilla. I just wanted the Spurs to go after Evans. Now that Evans is almost out of the picture, Przybilla moves up the charts as a player out there who can actually grab a rebound.

There is no full throttle in regards to Przybilla. He's a guy that was either getting the full MLE or was going to be signed by Chicago for more than that. To waste time on him by offering him less than the MLE doesn't make any sense. He'd never sign for something less than the MLE.

I really don't want Nazr back at all, so hopefully the Spurs don't really consider that an option.

Get ready.

Again, if they were to do this then that'd be great. But if they are going to sit on their savings and not go out and make the team better, that'd be wrong for the team and its fans.

Slinkyman
Forget Billa, if we can keep Nazr and use the MLE on Jeffries we'd be better off in the long and short run. Question is, are the spurs willing to spend the jack to get it done?

T Park
07-04-2006, 01:43 AM
MannyisGod speaks the truth.

timvp
07-04-2006, 01:44 AM
They should really just sign Reggie Evans, hes basically Ben Wallace without the blocks, and can prolly shoot better freethrows. And we prolly dont even have to give him the whole MLE.

This is why you were the League One Champion.

:smokin

T Park
07-04-2006, 01:45 AM
People talk about guys being hurt.

Pollard is a walking freaking MASH unit.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-04-2006, 01:45 AM
Pollard > What we have right now

If that's all that is available, give him a cheeseburger and a beer remind him which nights the games are on.

Kori Ellis
07-04-2006, 01:46 AM
I'd take Lorenzen Wright over Pollard.

picnroll
07-04-2006, 01:46 AM
Unless you forgot to include a j/k, I'd say you are being a bit premature in your predictions there Mr. picnrollover. :)
Just my feeling that this team as it stands isn't that competitive. Maybe Pop and Buford will pull something off but it seems like dimishing expectations are grasping at the Pollard and Collins to compete with. I'll wait to see what the final roster looks like but right now it's looking sucky to me.

kris
07-04-2006, 01:47 AM
WTF?

How is next years team so much different form the team that just won 63 games? Oh yeah, Tim Duncan won't have Plantar Faciatas the whole year. Talk about a huge slide backwards.

Spurs fans are bored and want to have their team on the front page of ESPN.com like every other team in the NBA right now.

I'm not a huge JP fan anymore, and I don't disagree with the notion that just because the market is low on quality, you just take what you can get. But, where I think you are off is that I don't think you really know JP's game. You keep comparing to him to Rasho only to give him a slight edge as a big white guy with a little more game.

JP and Rasho are a lot different. They really don't play alike at all. I think JP would bring a lot more to the table. Not saying he's a great sign, just that he's a lot better than Rasho.

MannyIsGod
07-04-2006, 01:47 AM
I agree that in order to make passing up on Pryzbilla it means they better go out and make use of that MLE right.

And if the Spurs bring back Nazr, I'm going to be so fucking pissed.

timvp
07-04-2006, 01:48 AM
Pollard had a good two week stretch last season. After that he did nothing. Before that he did nothing for like three years.

Pollard is not the answer.

shyne
Shit I bet for sure we could get Evans now, im sure he would rather start here then be a backup in Denver. Hell I would take Rueben patterson too.

Mr.Bottomtooth
When the Spurs bring in Pollard next year and he averages double digit rebounds you will all be want RC for exec of the year.
So? :lol

MannyIsGod
I'm not a huge JP fan anymore, and I don't disagree with the notion that just because the market is low on quality, you just take what you can get. But, where I think you are off is that I don't think you really know JP's game. You keep comparing to him to Rasho only to give him a slight edge as a big white guy with a little more game.

JP and Rasho are a lot different. They really don't play alike at all. I think JP would bring a lot more to the table. Not saying he's a great sign, just that he's a lot better than Rasho.
Fair enough, I haven't seen the guy play all that much over the past year when he's actually done pretty well.

Kori Ellis
07-04-2006, 01:49 AM
I agree that in order to make passing up on Pryzbilla it means they better go out and make use of that MLE right.

And if the Spurs bring back Nazr, I'm going to be so fucking pissed.

I exactly agree with this. I think it's odd (but not completely understandable) that they didn't offer Przybilla five years. But I don't want them to just hold onto their money and roll with the 12 guys they have now (plus a Melvin Sanders or something).

Please_dont_ban_me
Saying somebody is "better than Rasho" isn't doing much for there cause.

clubalien
i remeber despreate times when our hope for a center was keon clark.. now i don't even know if he is in the nba

Solid D
Pollard had a good two week stretch last season. After that he did nothing. Before that he did nothing for like three years.

I must agree whole-heartedly.

Solid D
07-04-2006, 01:50 AM
Happy Independence Day, ya'll!

johngateswhiteley
...man some of you guys are nuts. the spurs won't be competetive? the spurs won't get hca? the spurs will slide?

...wtf are you talking about? when you have the best trio in the league...you're not going anywhere. stfu.

Kori Ellis
i remeber despreate times when our hope for a center was keon clark.. now i don't even know if he is in the nba
He's not.

He missed out on two contract offers awhile back because he didn't answer his cell phone.

MannyIsGod

That 2 week stretch was the only time he got meaningful minutes. Granted, he's been hurt a ton but I think if he was healthy he'd be very effective as a solid rebounder and defender next to Tim.

I don't nessecarily think he's the answer, but I don't nessecarily think anyone out there is. I do however think there are a good amount of players out there who can fill a role on the Spurs pretty damn well.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-04-2006, 01:51 AM
Saying somebody is "better than Rasho" isn't doing much for there cause.
Rasho would be sad if he read this. :lol Weak.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-04-2006, 01:51 AM
...man some of you guys are nuts. the spurs won't be competetive? the spurs won't get hca? the spurs will slide?

...wtf are you talking about? when you have the best trio in the league...you're not going anywhere. stfu.

If by some, you mean one...then let's have fun! :elephant

Please_dont_ban_me
07-04-2006, 01:52 AM
Rasho would be sad if he read this. :lol Weak.

I actually like the guy, and his game.

I think some guys on this forum, and in this city, rag on him unfairly.

kris

I think Pollard gave up on trying in the NBA. I kind of thought he was decent on the Kings in his early years, but last year I saw him with his samarai hair looking into the crowd during a timeout and I knew he was done.

itzsoweezee
Just my feeling that this team as it stands isn't that competitive. Maybe Pop and Buford will pull something off but it seems like dimishing expectations are grasping at the Pollard and Collins to compete with. I'll wait to see what the final roster looks like but right now it's looking sucky to me.

you're just dumb then. duncan is still the best player in the league. duncan + parker + ginobili is probably the best trio in the league. there's nothing "sucky" about that.

Mr.Bottomtooth
He's not.

He missed out on two contract offers awhile back because he didn't answer his cell phone.
:lol :rolleyes :oops Who does that?

ChumpDumper
07-04-2006, 01:53 AM
Lo Wright is the relative ironman choice -- nice vanilla production if we are really high on Javtokas or Ian blowing up in the coming years.

We can pretend he's a center against some teams.

MannyIsGod
The only part of that article that pisses me off is the notion that the Spurs are actually considering bringing back Stone Hands McLost. The only part of our MLE that fucker shoudl get is hte part of it we spend on movers and a one way plane ticket.

THE SIXTH MAN
I'd take Lorenzen Wright over Pollard.
Do you know if the spurs are interested in him?

Slinkyman
If Ludden is saying the spurs are eyeing a center doesn't that mean we should expect a SF or PG?

T Park
07-04-2006, 01:54 AM
doomed.

DOOOMED I TELL YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHH

kris
The only part of that article that pisses me off is the notion that the Spurs are actually considering bringing back Stone Hands McLost. The only part of our MLE that fucker shoudl get is hte part of it we spend on movers and a one way plane ticket.

Same thought.

Kori Ellis
Lo Wright is the relative ironman choice -- nice vanilla production if we are really high on Javtokas or Ian blowing up in the coming years.

We can pretend he's a center against some teams.

Yeah I pick Lorenzen if we are picking from a scrub group that includes Pollard. He averaged 5.7 boards in 24 mpg in his 58 starts this past season.

ChumpDumper
07-04-2006, 01:55 AM
Keon Clark just hangs out and gets high now. He has no desire to play basketball ever again.

Solid D
IF...the Spurs can re-sign Mohammed (with an unused MLE at this juncture), does this look like 60-win team as it is?

Mohammed......Javtokas..........Oberto
Duncan...........Horry..............Bonner
Bowen............Finley..............Williams
Don't Foul.......Barry
Parker............Udrih

Mr.Bottomtooth
I actually like the guy, and his game.

I think some guys on this forum, and in this city, rag on him unfairly.
I think the real reason that most people hate Rasho is because, they like his stats, but he didn't do it in a manly fashion. I think everybody hates him because he didn't dunk all those shots and he decided to go backboard.

Kori Ellis
:lol :rolleyes :oops Who does that?

Some freak who doesn't have an agent or a home phone and doesn't really want to play in the NBA.

timvp
07-04-2006, 01:56 AM

This is what a lot of us were thinking a while ago. And then the Spurs went on about how getting a center was their number one need of the summer. Ok if that is the case go get Przybilla.

Their half-assed offer to him makes me think they didn't really want him. Maybe it was just to show Tim that they tried to not force him to play center.

Maybe, just maybe, the Spurs will look at getting a rebounding power forward.

:drunk

shyne
Yeah I pick Lorenzen if we are picking from a scrub group that includes Pollard. He averaged 5.7 boards in 24 mpg in his 58 starts this past season.

He's also a keeper on my fantasy squad :smokin

kris
I think the real reason that most people hate Rasho is because, they like his stats, but he didn't do it in a manly fashion. I think everybody hates him because he didn't dunk all those shots and he decided to go backboard.

I hate him because he sucks. If he played exactly Margo Dydek but played well, I wouldn't care.

Slinkyman
07-04-2006, 01:57 AM
IF...the Spurs can re-sign Mohammed (with an unused MLE at this juncture), does this look like 60-win team as it is?

Don't Foul.......Barry
Parker............Udrih

60 wins easy

ChumpDumper
07-04-2006, 01:57 AM
Yeah I pick Lorenzen if we are picking from a scrub group that includes Pollard. He averaged 5.7 boards in 24 mpg in his 58 starts this past season.One thing Pollard has going for him is beef. That's something we're missing against certain teams with Rasho gone and one reason I bring up a guy like Cato, though I don't know if he has anything left in the tank. I just remember he did all the defensive heavy lifting in Houston.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-04-2006, 01:58 AM
I hate him because he sucks. If he played exactly Margo Dydek but played well, I wouldn't care.
Isn't she a Silver Stars player? :lol

Kori Ellis
07-04-2006, 01:58 AM

Don't Foul.......Barry
Parker............Udrih

It looks okay, but I don't want Nazr there and I'm still all for ditching Barry for someone younger.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-04-2006, 01:59 AM

Guys on Spursreport used to rag on David Robinsons becausae he didn't dunk too.

But I guess you can't run a franchice player out of town...Rasho's game was nice. Was he a little slow? Ya. Was he a little slow when we signed him? Ya. Did we win a ring with him? Ya.

I think people confused Pops decision to go small ball and teh trading of Rasho as some sort of knock on his game. He's a decent player, he'll put up decent stats, but will always get ragged on by idiots like Stephen A Smith. Blah.

Mr.Bottomtooth
Some freak who doesn't have an agent or a home phone and doesn't really want to play in the NBA.
Why do I even ask? :spin

Slinkyman

if only Rasho made every close shot i'd agree, but he missed way to many easy close ones that would have been automatic if we would have just dunked it.

kris
07-04-2006, 02:00 AM
Guys on Spursreport used to rag on David Robinsons becausae he didn't dunk too.

But I guess you can't run a franchice player out of town...Rasho's game was nice. Was he a little slow? Ya. Was he a little slow when we signed him? Ya. Did we win a ring with him? Ya.

I think people confused Pops decision to go small ball and teh trading of Rasho as some sort of knock on his game. He's a decent player, he'll put up decent stats, but will always get ragged on by idiots like Stephen A Smith. Blah.

Replace Rasho with an inanimate object and the Spurs still win that championship. Did he even play in the finals?

David Robinson dunked all the time by the way.

Mr.Bottomtooth
It looks okay, but I don't want Nazr there and I'm still all for ditching Barry for someone younger.
Do whatever it takes to get przybilla instead of nazr and then revive the barry for jr trade.

MannyIsGod

Don't Foul.......Barry
Parker............Udrih

picnroll

Don't Foul.......Barry
Parker............Udrih

Does this look like a team that adressed any of it's needs going into the off season?

kris
07-04-2006, 02:02 AM
Peter Holt = George Castanza

MannyIsGod
07-04-2006, 02:02 AM
Does this look like a team that adressed any of it's needs going into the off season?
Yes. It unloaded Rasho's contract. It signed Javaktovas. It did the best it could in a very poor free agent market and gave itself a damn good chance at being a much better player in later markets.

Stop viewing the glass as half empty.

Kori Ellis
07-04-2006, 02:04 AM
Some people act like the Spurs are done with whatever they are doing this offseason. It's July 4th, not September 4th.

Mr.Bottomtooth
Yes. It unloaded Rasho's contract. It signed Javaktovas. It did the best it could in a very poor free agent market and gave itself a damn good chance at being a much better player in later markets.

Stop viewing the glass as half empty.
Or is it half-full??? Who knows???

kris
Some people act like the Spurs are done with whatever they are doing this offseason. It's July 4th, not September 4th.

Spurs are done and don't you forget it.

koopa
07-04-2006, 02:05 AM

best post in this thread that i've read (only read the first two pages though lol)

i think this dude is rasho part 2 so i'm glad we ain't offering him to much. ppl making a big deal about him being the best center available. that's not a good thing when this dude is the best out there. we were a foul away from being in the wcf we don't really need to over haul this team. and in next years playoffs this dude will be on the bench just like rasho and nazr. so i rather just resign nazr, cause he played good for us in the regular season when he started, and maybe this time he can actually be at training camp

Please_dont_ban_me
07-04-2006, 02:05 AM
Replace Rasho with an inanimate object and the Spurs still win that championship. Did he even play in the finals?

David Robinson dunked all the time by the way.

Don't act like Rasho didn't contribute anything. Might we have still won? Sure...but Rasho wasn't a stiff. Oberto is a stiff. Rasho is no Oberto.

As for DRob, look up threads in his last few years. Peoples main beef with him was how he didn't dunk enough. It was all over the forums, all over sports talk radio...everybody had a hard-on for how he should dunk more instead of laying it up.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-04-2006, 02:06 AM
Good point. I think it's because the Spurs aren't giving any hints about who they might go after and we think they are not gonna do anything at all.

clubalien
Zach Randolph used to be the future of portland but for some reason i heard they ere looking to unload him now. not sure how we coudl do it with his salary so high

don't think the spurs woudl want him if they are lowballing przy for the MLE

Solid D

I realllllllly don't think the Spurs are done, but many here would say that:
1) replacing Rasho with a more physical, "rock-em sock-em" dunking, shot-blocking, Javtokas;
2) replacing Sean Marks with NBA's 12th ranked 3-pt. shooter @ 6'10" in Bonner;
3) replacing Melvin Sanders with a longer, more experienced Eric Williams

is an acceptable start.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-04-2006, 02:07 AM
Zach Randolph used to be the future of portland but for some reason i heard they ere looking to unload him now. not sure how we coudl do it with his salary so high

don't think the spurs woudl want him if they are lowballing przy for the MLE

Isn't he getting near max money? He's not going anywhere...though they are shopping him.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-04-2006, 02:08 AM
I was high on Joel until someone trotted out his abysmal injury record. Given that, I'm sorta glad we won't be paying him.

I hope they don't bring Nazr back. His TO-prone offence and poor D drove me insane last season (although he was great in the 2005 championship run, except against the Pistons... how many balls did he drop???)

Hell, give me Cato or Collins cheap.
Cato's career stats - 10.8rb/40min, 2.58blk/40min
Collins career stats - 7.8rb/40min, 0.6blk/40min
Both can bang and defend a bit, and that's all we need from them really.
I wonder what they'd take, 2.5-3mil for 3 years?

That would give us a banger (Cato/Collins), an energy guy (Jav), two shooters (Bonner/Horry) and Oberto (I really have no idea what he gives us... garbage time?) with Duncan in the big slots. By no means ideal, but serviceable I guess.

Winnipeg_Spur
07-04-2006, 02:08 AM
But I guess you can't run a franchice player out of town...Rasho's game was nice. Was he a little slow? Ya. Was he a little slow when we signed him? Ya. Did we win a ring with him sitting on the bench? Ya.
Man, after browsing through that big man thread, Reggie Evans sure is starting to look pretty good right about now. It would be nice to hear the Spurs show a little interest in him...

kris
07-04-2006, 02:10 AM
Don't act like Rasho didn't contribute anything. Might we have still won? Sure...but Rasho wasn't a stiff. Oberto is a stiff. Rasho is no Oberto.

As for DRob, look up threads in his last few years. Peoples main beef with him was how he didn't dunk enough. It was all over the forums, all over sports talk radio...everybody had a hard-on for how he should dunk more instead of laying it up.

I'm going to go ahead and act like Rasho contributed nothing. He did have his moments in the Kings series, but on the whole his infamous outside shooting and free throw touch was never there, he was easy for teams to create a mismatch on, his shot blocking was very limited. By limited I mean he was able to block shots against people trying to go right over him under the basket, but against the drive he was usually helpless.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-04-2006, 02:10 AM
Oh, and as for the "spurs being done" :madrun , please refer to my "NOW is the time to believe thread".

Carry on. :fro

timvp
07-04-2006, 02:12 AM
I can see where picnroll is coming from. Yeah the Spurs were one play away from making it to the Finals. But that Mavs team was young and a year from now, they'll be even better than they were this year. The Spurs have done nothing to fix the chinks in the armor that the Mavs exposed.

The Spurs must get a player that can matchup with Dirk (and Diaw/Marion). If the Spurs don't get that player, I just can't see them winning it all next season. Michael Finley at power forward will not getting it done. Przybilla at center with Duncan at power forward could have worked, though.

I'll be patient but this free agent group is shallow and shrinking everyday. A week from now it could be gone.

Signing Javtokas isn't the answer. The Spurs need a center or power forward who can stay on the floor against the Mavs and Suns. We all knew that was the number one need coming into the offseason. So far, we haven't seen any signs that the Spurs are trying to solve this need.

Hopefully something pops up soon but it's shaping up to be a summer where the Spurs sign Nazr, Javtokas, a scrub wing and a scrub PG. If that's the case, the season would be over before it began.

Honestly.

Kori Ellis
07-04-2006, 02:12 AM
Looks like Nazr might be part of Portland's back up plan if they lose Joel...

Monday, July 03, 2006

4th of July Fireworks
The 4th of July figures to be a big day for the Blazers.

Free agent center Joel Przybilla is expected to make a decision where he will play on Tuesday, and it appears to be between Detroit, Portland and San Antonio.

Przybilla and his agent, Bill Duffy, had a teleconference at 9 p.m. Monday night to discuss an offer made by the Pistons, who aggressively pursued Przybilla after Ben Wallace left Detroit for Chicago on Monday.

Neither Przybilla nor Duffy returned calls after their meeting.

However, I did speak with Blazers president Steve Patterson at about 10 p.m., and Patterson wasn't ready to concede defeat. He said the Blazers have "put their best foot forward", which has included an offer to Przybilla of five years worth an estimated $30 million. The Pistons and Spurs are in roughly the same boat as the Blazers - only able to offer the midlevel exception - but the Blazers can give Joel 10.5 percent raises per season, while the other teams can give only 8.5 percent raises.

At any rate, Patterson said the Blazers have already begun their homework on free agent centers given the chance Przybilla bolts. Among the group the Blazers have talked to: Miami's Alonzo Mourning, New Jersey's Jarron Collins and San Antonio's Nazr Mohammed.

Sorry I couldn't give you more information on the Duffy-Przybilla conference ... will try again tomorrow.

Quick

http://www.oregonlive.com/weblogs/blazersoregonian/

timvp
07-04-2006, 02:13 AM
Man, after browsing through that big man thread, Reggie Evans sure is starting to look pretty good right about now. It would be nice to hear the Spurs show a little interest in him...

:tu

ace3g
07-04-2006, 02:14 AM
what about Loren Woods, http://www.nba.com/playerfile/loren_woods/index.html

MannyIsGod
07-04-2006, 02:15 AM
Wouldn't it be some shit if Pryz still took the Spurs offer?

kris
best post in this thread that i've read (only read the first two pages though lol)

i think this dude is rasho part 2 so i'm glad we ain't offering him to much. ppl making a big deal about him being the best center available. that's not a good thing when this dude is the best out there. we were a foul away from being in the wcf we don't really need to over haul this team. and in next years playoffs this dude will be on the bench just like rasho and nazr. so i rather just resign nazr, cause he played good for us in the regular season when he started, and maybe this time he can actually be at training camp

JP has above average athleticism and is a legitimate 7 footer. He has no claim to a shooting touch, but does finish strong at the basket. He's one of the better shot blockers in the game and can explode at times. I believe he had 9 against the Sonics and 8 against the Spurs last season so he can definitely cover the basket. He would not be able to guard Dirk, but is a legitimate center who would be a drastic improvement over Nazr or Rasho.

Leetonidas
The Spurs can still look overseas though...

timvp
what about Loren Woods, http://www.nba.com/playerfile/loren_woods/index.html

You need to google Tim Duncan and Loren Woods and then see why it'd never happen.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-04-2006, 02:16 AM
Looks like Nazr might be part of Portland's back up plan if they lose Joel...

http://www.oregonlive.com/weblogs/blazersoregonian/
Am I reading it right when I say that Przybilla will make his decision today?

timvp
07-04-2006, 02:17 AM
Am I reading it right when I say that Przybilla will make his decision today?

Yep.

The major domino fell. No expect all the other main free agents to sign in the next week.

kris
I can see where picnroll is coming from. Yeah the Spurs were one play away from making it to the Finals. But that Mavs team was young and a year from now, they'll be even better than they were this year. The Spurs have done nothing to fix the chinks in the armor that the Mavs exposed.

The Spurs must get a player that can matchup with Dirk (and Diaw/Marion). If the Spurs don't get that player, I just can't see them winning it all next season. Michael Finley at power forward will not getting it done. Przybilla at center with Duncan at power forward could have worked, though.

I'll be patient but this free agent group is shallow and shrinking everyday. A week from now it could be gone.

Signing Javtokas isn't the answer. The Spurs need a center or power forward who can stay on the floor against the Mavs and Suns. We all knew that was the number one need coming into the offseason. So far, we haven't seen any signs that the Spurs are trying to solve this need.

Hopefully something pops up soon but it's shaping up to be a summer where the Spurs sign Nazr, Javtokas, a scrub wing and a scrub PG. If that's the case, the season would be over before it began.

Honestly.

Believe.

Please_dont_ban_me

You need to google Tim Duncan and Loren Woods and then see why it'd never happen.

What's the story?

Leetonidas
07-04-2006, 02:18 AM

All I see is that they played together for one year in college.

clubalien
07-04-2006, 02:18 AM
Isn't he getting near max money? He's not going anywhere...though they are shopping him.

Zach Randolph

$12,000,000

$13,333,333

$14,666,666

$16,000,000

$17,333,333

that is what hoopshype says

shaggy17
07-04-2006, 02:21 AM
How much did we offer him? Was it years,$$ or both???

T Park
07-04-2006, 02:23 AM
doomed i tell you.

shaggy17
07-04-2006, 02:23 AM
doomed i tell you.

:lol :lol You might cause the other fans to buy into that and cause a riot

clubalien
07-04-2006, 02:24 AM
according to the news article I think it was just we didn;t offer 5 years but we have no other sources to back that up

are their any free agents that have a chris kaman like game?

Despot
07-04-2006, 02:24 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/your_turn/news/2001/06/25/chatreel_woods/

From Faiyaz Ahmed in Houston: Loren, what did you learn playing next to Tim Duncan during your freshman year?

Loren Woods: He's a good player, but I learned mostly everything I know from Cardinal Ritter High School in St. Louis and the University of Arizona

I kinda get that he did not like being compared to Tim.

Quadzilla99
07-04-2006, 02:26 AM
I'd take Mohammed back. However barring some new rule interpretation that permits applying Lester Hayes amounts of stickum to Mohammed's prone to Ball dropping hands I'm bound to be frustrated with him by week 2. At least he can rebound and is a good free throw shooter now (knock on wood).

Hoy
07-04-2006, 02:30 AM

I absolutely agree with you.
Remember Rasho was the best available choice in that season. And we could not wait to get rid of him after second year.

Sometimes, taking the best of apparent choice solves no problem; Worse, lock you into that limbo of perpetual dissatisfaction. Best choice turns out to be not only an illusion but a trap like Malik - we had to use two number one draft choices choices to escape.

Joel does not solve our problem in the changing NBAscape. We know Nazr does not.
Let's not be desperate for the solution that is no solution. Save the MLE and wait for the situation that will solve our dilemma.
The most needy position for Spurs is not center position, in anycase. Tim can play there better than he can play power forward position.
We need long, athlethic 3/4 for defense and rebound. The playoff exposed us that shortcomming.
Remember, Bruce is a year older and he would be less effective against Bonzi, Carmelo and Dirks of the NBA than last year.
He won't make the NAB defensive first nor second team this year, I predict.

Leetonidas
07-04-2006, 02:31 AM

Probably because he sucks.

clubalien
07-04-2006, 02:33 AM
still possible if we sign and trade with portland nazr for joel we can give higher then MLE for shorter years(plus 10 raise insted of 8)

that lets joel go for a bigger contract later

Quadzilla99
07-04-2006, 02:36 AM
I absolutely agree with you.
Remember Rasho was the best available choice in that season. And we could not wait to get rid of him after second year.

Rasho was not the best choice we were turned down by PJ Brown, Magloire, and Jermaine O'neal before signing Rasho if I remember correctly.

timvp
07-04-2006, 02:37 AM

Yeah the story is Woods and Duncan didn't get along at Wake. Woods thought it was too much pressure to try to be the next Tim Duncan, so he transfered to Arizona.

Duncan has since made it a point to punish him whenever they meet.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-04-2006, 02:38 AM

Honestly.

Can't agree with you there. Both Tim and Manu had off seasons by their measure last year and Finley was learning our system... it always felt like a down year to me, even with all the winning. We never actually looked very good last season.

I hope we don't bring Nazr back, but there are plenty of decent backup PGs going cheap... it's the wing that has me concerned, but we certainly have enough with Barry and Scola's rights to obtain someone like Rasual Butler or Jumaine Jones, and the MLE on top of that.

So if we added Cato, Jones, and take your pick of backup PGs, which is quite feasible given our assets, you would be unhappy? I'd give that a try.

SA210
07-04-2006, 02:44 AM
What the heck is the Spurs office doing?

Sign Pryz! Make a darn phone call and sign him. Offer him the 5 years,

Someone email small ball Pop.

:pctoss

Mr. Body
07-04-2006, 02:49 AM
I wonder how attractive it is going without Nazr and not making an offer to Prz or losing out to Detroit on him.

I'm a little leery of tying up 5.5M or so a year just for a serviceable center who may not be giving much more than Oberto/Javtokas could. That kills a good deal of cap flexibility to be used in better FA years.

Tek_XX
07-04-2006, 02:51 AM
Does Pryzi want to go to Detroit that bad or is his agent looking to get the spurs to pay more?

I seriously hope the Spurs don't overpay Nazty.

Mr. Body
07-04-2006, 02:53 AM
Przybilla has more of a role to play in Detroit. In San Antonio he has to compete with Duncan, the new Javtokas, and even Oberto for minutes and importance. Detroit has no centers at all.

Objectively, the Pistons would be the best choice.

timvp
07-04-2006, 02:54 AM
Przybilla has more of a role to play in Detroit. In San Antonio he has to compete with Duncan, the new Javtokas, and even Oberto for minutes and importance. Detroit has no centers at all.

Yep.

I'd go to Detroit if I were JP.

Tek_XX
Oberto is a scrub and should not see too many minutes in this league

Quadzilla99
Most they can pay Nazr is the MLE that's $5 million or so. For a starting center in this ridiculous market that's practically a bargain.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
What the heck is the Spurs office doing?

Sign Pryz! Make a darn phone call and sign him. Offer him the 5 years,

Someone email small ball Pop.

:pctoss

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Yeah, coz we know more than Pop does and that email sure would set him straight!

Tek_XX
07-04-2006, 02:55 AM

His role as Shaqs bitch is what he'll play.

Kori Ellis
07-04-2006, 02:55 AM

Plus it doesn't look like the Spurs offered five years. And Przybilla and Mrs just had a baby recently and he was talking about wanting long term stability.

SA210
07-04-2006, 02:59 AM

Yeah, coz we know more than Pop does and that email sure would set him straight!

Um, that part was a joke. I always say that. :lol

But Pop did make the small ball mistake last year.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-04-2006, 03:14 AM
Um, that part was a joke. I always say that. :lol

But Pop did make the small ball mistake last year.

I'm not sure it was a "mistake".

Maybe if he sticks with our bigs we don't get to a game 7 up 3 with seconds left in regulation.

jcrod
07-04-2006, 03:22 AM
If we stay pat at the center position, we'll won't beat the Heat in the finals, let alone the Mavs.

Buddy Holly
07-04-2006, 03:32 AM
I can't believe the Spurs are being cheap at this point.

Cheap? I think they've learned from Malik and Rasho that long term contracts for mediocre talent isn't... GOOD!

J.T.
07-04-2006, 03:44 AM
Maybe Nazr won't TO as much with the new ball! :lol

T Park
07-04-2006, 03:59 AM
I'd love for someone to show me how the Spurs are being cheap.

Kori Ellis
07-04-2006, 04:00 AM
I'd love for someone to show me how the Spurs are being cheap.

If they didn't offer Przybilla five years and they aren't going to spend the full MLE elsewhere, then I'd say they are a little too frugal. But that hasn't happened yet.

T Park
07-04-2006, 04:03 AM
Did Ludden say they aren't gonna offer the full MLE elsewhere?

I wouldn't freak out yet.

Guys like Evans and Pargo will be around in July and August.

Kori Ellis
07-04-2006, 04:06 AM

I am not freaking out at all.

I think the Spurs have a couple trades in them.

T Park
07-04-2006, 04:10 AM
Not you per se!!!!

Damn these emotionless message boards.

Dalamar_the_Dark
07-04-2006, 05:09 AM
I'm suspecting we will sign Javtokas for the new season. Trade for Magloire and start him with Javtokas backing him up.

Quadzilla99
07-04-2006, 05:28 AM
^ I wouldn't mind Magloire for 1 year not a shot blocker though. However I think he makes $8-9 million and Milwaukee would want something decent in return.

J.T.
07-04-2006, 07:00 AM
Honestly I think Joel would work out pretty nicely for us. The big thing is rebounding. I even remember in the 2005 playoffs we had huge rebounding problems against the Pistons. It's not like the Spurs don't know they need to fix the rebounding.

Joel would be a helluva lot better than resigning Turnovers 'R Us. There's a chance we could get Joel but I think he'll end up taking the Pistons offer. We'll see.

Oh and F small ball.

silk
07-04-2006, 07:06 AM
How do you defend the mavs with pryz?

picnroll
07-04-2006, 07:34 AM
I realllllllly don't think the Spurs are done, but many here would say that:
1) replacing Rasho with a more physical, "rock-em sock-em" dunking, shot-blocking, Javtokas;
2) replacing Sean Marks with NBA's 12th ranked 3-pt. shooter @ 6'10" in Bonner;
3) replacing Melvin Sanders with a longer, more experienced Eric Williams

is an acceptable start.
They better not be done by a loooong shot because saying this is a good start is one major league streeeettttchhhhh.

I'm not crazy about Nzrr resigning, in fact I'd prefer he didn't and let the Spurs suffer and have to address that problem effectively but without Nazr and Rasho who assumes even a minisucle amount of post offense after Duncan? The only big that can provide any offense whatsoever is Horry the 36 year old fading big.

Who gives Parker relief or do we ride him again even at the end of the season when his body's breaking down and he needs games off but the Spurs can't afford to give him any. Who scores when Manu and Duncan take their seat on the bench? Is it all on Parker and the erractic Finley? What happens when any big goes down? We don't even have to discuss what happens when manu goes down or we lose any of our big three. How did The Spurs address their long 3 issue? What if Javtokas equals Oberto, Pop has said he's a bench player?

Things may change but right now you have to be Pollyanna to think this team is a 60 or even a 55 win team. And that's if they stay healthy. Other teams in the West have added strong pieces, not an untested Euro rookie with no offense whatsoever and Matt Bonner who was fourth big on a lottery team. Pop and Buford have a hell of a lot of work to do or this won't be a good season.

violentkitten
07-04-2006, 08:08 AM
the spurs are a contender and guaranteed to make the 2nd round with parker/duncan/manu. why spend any more on the team? why do you think the front office is really about winning?

bigfan
07-04-2006, 08:17 AM
I say we keep Nazr. The guy makes a few bonehead plays and gets butterfingers at times but he now knows the system and wont have to share time with Rasho. I still think this guy can be good if you light a fire under his ass. I think bringing over Javtokas will help adjust Nazrs attitude.

leemajors
07-04-2006, 08:21 AM
I say we keep Nazr. The guy makes a few bonehead plays and gets butterfingers at times but he now knows the system and wont have to share time with Rasho. I still think this guy can be good if you light a fire under his ass. I think bringing over Javtokas will help adjust Nazrs attitude.

you think pop has been going easy on him the last season and a half? i don't think anyone is going to light a fire under his ass, and from seeing him on defense the last season and a half he obviously has no clue about the system, offensively or defensively. that could be forgiven if he had actually done anything else since the 05 playoffs, but he hasn't.

violentkitten
07-04-2006, 08:25 AM
if they are reluctant to spend on a center can they at least spend on a small forward?

J.T.
07-04-2006, 08:26 AM
The NBA's new official ball will make you smarter, lower your taxes, clean your car, improve your chances with the ladies, and keep Nazr from turning it over so much.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-04-2006, 08:28 AM
I can't believe they tried low balling Joel. Fucking stupid.

SPARKY
07-04-2006, 08:30 AM
I can't believe they tried low balling Joel. Fucking stupid.

Welcome to reality.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-04-2006, 08:34 AM

The Spurs won 63 games last year with Rasho and Nazr tag teaming the center position.

Right now if things don't change you're going to replace them with Javtokas and Oberto and a 56 year old Robert Horry.

That doesn't exactly instill confidence in the front office.

If they're being cheap I'm going to have to join Marcus on the Peter Holt is a cheap fuck crusade.

leemajors
07-04-2006, 08:37 AM
The Spurs won 63 games last year with Rasho and Nazr tag teaming the center position.

Right now if things don't change you're going to replace them with Javtokas and Oberto and a 56 year old Robert Horry.

That doesn't exactly instill confidence in the front office.

If they're being cheap I'm going to have to join Marcus on the Peter Holt is a cheap fuck crusade.

and just yesterday aggie was telling people it was only july 3. :depressed

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-04-2006, 08:42 AM

Guys like Evans and Pargo will be around in July and August.

So you don't think they're being cheap by not offering Joel a full MLE deal, but you want us to go spend the MLE on scrubs like Pargo? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-04-2006, 08:46 AM
and just yesterday aggie was telling people it was only july 3. :depressed

The problem is the Ben Wallace domino fell yesterday, and since then it's been full speed ahead with the remaining quality free agents.

A lot can happen in 24 hours, and has. The FA crop will be largely dried up by the end of the week.

The Spurs are still sitting here having addressed absolutely no needs:

1. Long SF
2. A quality center or PF to take the pressure off Tim on the glass and defensive end
3. Backup PG

The most damning fact of all is the Spurs not offering Przybilla the full 5 years for the MLE contract that you knew teams would offer him, especially with Wallace off the market.

This team appears to be headed towards addressing exactly zero off-season needs, and worse yet everything I see so far leads me to believe Pop has embraced the idea of small ball, which means the Spurs will never win another title. I thought Miami put a fork in that idea with their ownage of Dallas, but Pop looks like he's still stuck on stupid.

leemajors
07-04-2006, 08:48 AM
a lot can happen between now and november, too. i'm not shitting bricks yet, but the seeming lack of effort on the front office's part is a tad troubling.

SPARKY
07-04-2006, 08:49 AM
To me it makes sense to move to a sleeker, more athletic frontline here in 2006. You already have the best center in the game on your roster. Surrounding him with a motley group of power forwards who can rebound and play physical while devoting your resources to the perimeter is the direction in which I believe the Spurs should head.

Rasho and Mohammed never came close to breaking 30 minutes a night as the starting 5. About the only reason I can see for signing a starting center is that Yao is in your division and Shaq may be waiting for you in the Finals. But it's not like Mohammed is that great defensively.

I have no problem with lessening the amount of the payroll devoted to the frontline and increasing it on the perimeter. As long as you have a little rebounding at the 4 spot the Spurs should win it all. But if you don't spend on anything this summer...

SenorSpur
07-04-2006, 09:26 AM
If the Spurs preferred Pryzbilla over Mohammed, then dammit they should have offered him the desired 5-yr contract. Everyone knew that as soon as Detroit lost Ben Wallace, they would come hard after Pryz. The Spurs shpuld have never allowed a desperate Detroit team to get "into the bidding mix"

On the other hand if the Spurs are ok with bringing Mohammed back, they shouldn't wait for another desparate, center-less team to drive up his price. There is a strong possibility that Nazr could walk away "scot-free", just as Big Ben did. Remember, Nazr is under no obligations to the Spurs to do a S&T, thereby leaving the Spurs with nothing in return - just like the Pistons.

Either way, they simply must do something to shore up the hole at the 5 spot. I can't imagine anyone on this board or in the Spurs FO feeling confident entering next season with a lineup of bigs that simply include Duncan, Javtokas, Oberto, Horry and Marks.

This passive attitude the Spurs seem to have with regards to pursuing and signing FAs is getting old. The object of the offseason is to get better by making moves to improve the team. Outside of dumping Rasho's contract and signing Bonner, they've done nothing else. I'm almost ready to sound off with others who have claimed the Spurs FO as being cheap. If they sit on their asses and do nothing the rest of the way, you can count me in the group.

furry_spurry
07-04-2006, 09:33 AM
I can't believe the Spurs are being cheap at this point. They unloaded Rasho's contract, Nazr is about to walk but they can't give the best center on the market a max MLE contract. Would a 5-year, $30M contract really break the bank?

I told people a few days ago and got blasted for it-- The Spurs are being cheap and don't want to give anyone more than 3 years on a deal. Shipping out Rasho's contract was to cut costs- not to open things up to spend that money elsewhere. Nazr will probably walk too- with nothing in return- and the Spurs will have cut even more costs.

I also got majorly laughed at over my claim that Oberto will start. Why does it surprise anyone that the Spurs would want to turn the guy making $2.5M into the starter?

furry_spurry
07-04-2006, 09:35 AM
Bet the Spurs and Nazr get a deal done

4 years prob 18 20 million.

I have to think some team offers Nazr better than that.

SenorSpur
07-04-2006, 09:36 AM
I told people a few days ago and got blasted for it-- The Spurs are being cheap and don't want to give anyone more than 3 years on a deal. Shipping out Rasho's contract was to cut costs- not to open things up to spend that money elsewhere. Nazr will probably walk too- with nothing in return- and the Spurs will have cut even more costs.

I also got majorly laughed at over my claim that Oberto will start. Why does it surprise anyone that the Spurs would want to turn the guy making $2.5M into the starter?

No one's laughing now. In fact we all have a right to edgy about all this. What the hell is the FO waiting on?

Obstructed_View
07-04-2006, 09:38 AM
Why would the Spurs FO want to pay guys that sit on the bench during the playoffs? I wouldn't.

SenorSpur
07-04-2006, 09:43 AM
Spurs won 63 games playing their traditional lineup.

Miami won the NBA Championship because they pounded the shit out of the Mavs using their traditional physical lineup and a lotta help from D-Wade.

If RC and Pop are changing their strategy all of a sudden, they're making a mistake. I agree the Spurs should be versatile and possess players that give them the ability to play a smaller, quicker style, but not a total conversion to that style.

Fuck small ball.

infinite styles
07-04-2006, 09:43 AM
OK I may have missed it but where does it say that they didn't offer Pryz the full MLE and that it was only half of it?

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-04-2006, 09:50 AM
Why does it surprise anyone that the Spurs would want to turn the guy making $2.5M into the starter?

Because he sucks and isn't starter quality.

SPARKY
07-04-2006, 09:59 AM
Because he sucks and isn't starter quality.

Again, why is that surprising?

SPARKY
07-04-2006, 10:00 AM

You must be new here.

SequSpur
07-04-2006, 10:55 AM
The Spurs are going after Lebron.

td4mvp21
07-04-2006, 10:59 AM
Edit: :rolleyes

Slinkyman
07-04-2006, 11:02 AM
Detroit makes too much sense for Przybilla not to go there but we'll see. Hopefully he makes his decision soon.

Bruno
07-04-2006, 11:03 AM
We have done nothing that would make me think the Spurs are contenders next year. Do something. Are they really this stupid?

Are you really that stupid ?
We are only July 4th.

strangeweather
07-04-2006, 11:16 AM
I would be happy with either Lorenzen Wright or Scot Pollard if Przybilla signs with Detroit. Wright may be a little healthier, but Pollard's R/48 is a little better, and I like his size when we go up against Yao and Shaq -- we don't have anyone else with that kiind of bulk except Tim.

Also -- yay on Donta Smith. He was frozen out of playing time behind all their swingmen in Atlanta, and seems like a plausible prospect for us.

infinite styles
07-04-2006, 11:36 AM
I'm getting really pissed at the Spurs administration or whoever the hell decides who we get. The teams in the NBA, especially in our conference are getting better, and WE NEED A CENTER AND YOUTH. We have done nothing that would make me think the Spurs are contenders next year. Do something. Are they really this stupid?

Did we all of a sudden lose Duncan, Ginobili and Parker or something. Honestly have Spurs fans forgotten about these three. STFU on the real. Spurs in all actuality only need one more role player to get back into the Finals next year but for some reason everyone is expecting them to go out and sign Garnett, Pierce, Iverson and Lebron with a $5 million MLE. Spurs are fine and its only July 4th. Just because everybody else wants to pay way too much for second tier players doesn't mean that our FO should do the same.

beirmeistr
07-04-2006, 11:50 AM
If the Spurs and Blazers don't do a swap and trade for Przbilla and Nazr, then I'm afraid the following scenario might take place:
Phone ringing, woman answers: Hello
male voice at other end: Hi, this is Greg Popovich. Is this Mrs. Pollard?
woman interrupts Popovich: How did you get this number? Are you a
telemarketer?
Pop: No, No, I'm the coach of the San
Antonio Spurs. May I speak with Scott?

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-04-2006, 12:24 PM
Did we all of a sudden lose Duncan, Ginobili and Parker or something. Honestly have Spurs fans forgotten about these three.

Did you forget that we just lost the Western Conference Finals to a team that will be better next year? Meanwhile we've lost one center, probably both our centers, and have absolutely zilch for depth at center, and 400 year old Robert Horry is no spring chicken at PF.

STFU on the real. Spurs in all actuality only need one more role player to get back into the Finals next year but for some reason everyone is expecting them to go out and sign Garnett, Pierce, Iverson and Lebron with a $5 million MLE.

We need more than one little role player, we've got at least two holes on this team right now at the 5 spot and the wing, and really need a third PG as well.

No one's expecting them to go out and sign KG or Lebron with the MLE, quit being such a retard.

People just want to see the Spurs address some very obvious and very real needs, and the talent pool to address those needs is thinning by the hour while the Spurs try and low ball guys who address them.

Wake the fuck up and quit being such a homer.

itzsoweezee
07-04-2006, 12:36 PM
Did we win a ring with him? Ya.

i must have missed that happening. fill me in.

itzsoweezee
07-04-2006, 12:45 PM
Did you forget that we just lost the Western Conference Finals to a team that will be better next year? Meanwhile we've lost one center, probably both our centers, and have absolutely zilch for depth at center, and 400 year old Robert Horry is no spring chicken at PF.

if there's any position where depth is less necessary, it's center. the problem against dallas was not bad personnel, it was bad coaching. if javotkas can produce and if oberto can improve, and if pop doesn't suddenly ditch a defensive plan he's used all season, the spurs will be just fine.

T Park
07-04-2006, 12:50 PM
Wake the fuck up and quit being such a homer

YEAH

Damn you for having a positive outlook on things!!!

Crazy bastards you.......

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-04-2006, 12:56 PM
Look at our PF/C position collectively. We've got Duncan and a bunch of spare parts. Does that make you feel good about our chances?

Particularly when we got killed on the glass in that series, including game 7 by Diop, a *gasp* center?

We're still going to have to deal with Dallas and Houston in the West, and if we make it out (which is far from assured at this point), we'll be staring down either Big Ben or Shaq in the East.

Does anything about our C and PF talent make you feel good about any of that?

SenorSpur
07-04-2006, 12:58 PM
if there's any position where depth is less necessary, it's center. the problem against dallas was not bad personnel, it was bad coaching. if javotkas can produce and if oberto can improve, and if pop doesn't suddenly ditch a defensive plan he's used all season, the spurs will be just fine.

'Unfortunately, we don't play Dallas for 82 straight games. Granted the Mavs will likely be the team we need to knock off and the Spurs must make moves to counter the weaknesses exposed by the Mavs. Having said that, if you think the Spurs can go into next season with the current roster of bigs (sans Nazr), you're crazy.

It's no secret the Mavs "kicked the Spurs tails" both on the glass and with their superior quickness on the perimeter. If you've noticed, they (Mavs) are seeking to add even more toughness and scoring strength (Mike James and Reggie Evans). At least they're exploring options and not "sitting on their asses" by taking a passive approach to FA.

All we want is for the Spurs to get aggressive and address some of these weaknesses that plagued the roster last year and became more exposed during the WCSF.

Having lost both Rasho and probably Nazr, they'll need to add a suitable replacement. As of now, the best option is FA is Pryzbilla.

strangeweather
07-04-2006, 01:00 PM
Look at our PF/C position collectively. We've got Duncan and a bunch of spare parts. Does that make you feel good about our chances?
I agree that we need someone else, but I don't thing either Rasho or Nazr were all that much better than spare parts themselves. When you think about these guys' value, consider that last year, we couldn't trade Rasho for a guy that wasn't in the league anymore, and at this point it looks like Nazr won't even command the midlevel, despite plenty of teams that need a center.

clubalien
07-04-2006, 01:02 PM
remember how dallas was always the big 3? nash, finely, dirk

right now we could turn into the new big three tony, manu, tim
we don't want to be the big three. we want to be a championship contender

furry_spurry
07-04-2006, 01:11 PM
remember how dallas was always the big 3? nash, finely, dirk

right now we could turn into the new big three tony, manu, tim
we don't want to be the big three. we want to be a championship contender
I think you hit the nail on the head.

The window is starting to close, and the Spurs seem content to wait for next summer-- spending this summer just trying to shed salary and get players with expiring contracts. Part of the problem is that guys like Bruce and Rob are approaching retirement, and we will be left with just the Big Three and no more adequate role players.

leemajors
07-04-2006, 01:13 PM
i think he hit his thumb with the hammer.

ChumpDumper
07-04-2006, 01:15 PM
Who had July 4 in the cliff-jumper pool?

koopa
07-04-2006, 01:19 PM
As of now, the best option is FA is Pryzbilla.

just cause he is the best option out there doesn't make him a good pick up. we'll be paying him to much to sit the bench in the playoffs, might as well spread the money around. i like the way the spurs are going. they learned that over paying hot garbage just cause they are the best availble isn't good

ducks
07-04-2006, 01:20 PM
I thought joel was suppose to make a decision this morning...

spurs,pistons, and blazers could be upping their offers

infinite styles
07-04-2006, 01:23 PM

We need more than one little role player, we've got at least two holes on this team right now at the 5 spot and the wing, and really need a third PG as well.

No one's expecting them to go out and sign KG or Lebron with the MLE, quit being such a retard.

People just want to see the Spurs address some very obvious and very real needs, and the talent pool to address those needs is thinning by the hour while the Spurs try and low ball guys who address them.

Wake the fuck up and quit being such a homer.

Yeah we lost the WCS in the last 30 secs. of game 7 with basically the team we got right now on a mistake and now all of the sudden we got major issues. Being a homer has nothing to do with shit...And the real retard is you by not admitting that most fools like yourself are expecting the Spurs to make real big deals like KG or Lebron, besides ever heard of sarcasm or metaphors, they usually are most common with pessimist such as yourself. And yeah I woke the fuck up and guess what its still only July 4th! OMFG what a revelation.

ducks
07-04-2006, 01:29 PM
spurs could up their offer but saying joel you come here nazr goes to portland
and do a sign and trade

Obstructed_View
07-04-2006, 01:38 PM
Okay, this shit is making my head hurt. Can someone explain to me how the Spurs got better by trading Rasho?

Slinkyman
07-04-2006, 01:45 PM
Okay, this shit is making my head hurt. Can someone explain to me how the Spurs got better by trading Rasho?

you're kidding right? you wish we still had a starting center that couldn't grab 4 rebounds a game?

Obstructed_View
07-04-2006, 01:51 PM
you're kidding right? you wish we still had a starting center that couldn't grab 4 rebounds a game?
So the Spurs are better off with two smaller guys that won't get four rebounds a game, cost the same, and can't block a shot? I thought the Spurs were dumping Rasho's contract. It's hard to get any rebounds from the fucking bench. You still haven't said how the Spurs are better without him.

Slinkyman
07-04-2006, 01:54 PM
So the Spurs are better off with two smaller guys that won't get four rebounds a game, cost the same, and can't block a shot? I thought the Spurs were dumping Rasho's contract. It's hard to get any rebounds from the fucking bench. You still haven't said how the Spurs are better without him.

He started most of the season you can't use that excuse. When does the season start? let's wait and see, have patience.

Obstructed_View
07-04-2006, 01:59 PM
He started most of the season you can't use that excuse. When does the season start? let's wait and see, have patience.
I really sort of meant the original question as a joke, but you still haven't answered it.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-04-2006, 02:05 PM
Yeah we lost the WCS in the last 30 secs. of game 7 with basically the team we got right now on a mistake and now all of the sudden we got major issues.

Same team? So you like the idea of Michael Finley and Bowen rotating at PF? That's fucking brilliant.

Being a homer has nothing to do with shit...And the real retard is you by not admitting that most fools like yourself are expecting the Spurs to make real big deals like KG or Lebron, besides ever heard of sarcasm or metaphors, they usually are most common with pessimist such as yourself.

Show me anywhere I've said I'm expecting us to trade for Lebron or KG. It's about filling needs you twit, and right now the Spurs have their thumbs up their asses.

As for it being only July 4th, yeah at least you got that part right. Problem is now that the Ben Wallace domino has fallen, all the rest are snapping into line at a rapid rate.

In case you hadn't noticed, there isn't exactly a huge pool of talent out there, and it's drying up as we speak.

The only retards are people like you who have bought into the Spurs media machine to the extent that you think we're going anywhere near the NBA Finals next year with Oberto playing 35 minutes a game next to Duncan.

We haven't done anything to address the issue of small ball, and on the flip side we aren't reinforcing our twin towers either.

Right now we're drifting in Neverneverland while dipshits like you think those of us who are critical of the blase attitude of our front office this far are expecting Lebron to show up in SA on a river boat in three days to join the Spurs.

Ludden says we wanted Przybilla. Then we fucking low balled him. Then we get another article today saying we still want a center. All I (and others) are saying is that whole center market is kind of drying up, it'd be nice to see our front office do something before we're down to grabbing Dikembe Mutombo or Moses Malone out of the old folks' home to play center next year.

infinite styles
07-04-2006, 02:34 PM
Same team? So you like the idea of Michael Finley and Bowen rotating at PF? That's fucking brilliant.

Show me anywhere I've said I'm expecting us to trade for Lebron or KG. It's about filling needs you twit

I'm sorry I stopped reading right about there. Name calling shows that you just masks the fact that your a bitter old man with nothing to do but worry about shit you can't change. News flash buddy there was never a FA pool to pull from that was gonna help us without overpaying like we did Rasho. And if they would have by the end of the year after next you would have been complaining about their contract situation. So in all if any help is coming it will be through trades and trades won't come until all the big FA's are signed up.

Anyways, its the 4th of July and I'm not going to waste it by arguing with an Aggie hoops fan cause that in itself is just plain retarded. Peace. :smokin

TDMVPDPOY
07-04-2006, 02:39 PM
chris mihm anyone? i think his got an expirin comin up end of comin season earnin around 4mill.

since naze is gone, we can sign n trade barry+williams+scolas rights to lakrts for mihm+pick or filler.

ChumpDumper
07-04-2006, 02:40 PM
Why the hell would the Lakers do that?

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-04-2006, 02:47 PM
I'm sorry I stopped reading right about there. Name calling shows that you just masks the fact that your a bitter old man with nothing to do but worry about shit you can't change.

And the real retard is you

What was that about name calling?

Bitter old man? Did I miss something? Is 26 the new 80 now? What are you in, junior high?

News flash buddy there was never a FA pool to pull from that was gonna help us without overpaying like we did Rasho

So spending the MLE on a guy who is top 10 in the league in blocks is overpaying? Question

I'm not going to waste it by arguing with an Aggie hoops fan cause that in itself is just plain retarded.

Well seeings you've already been doing it for quite a while in this thread, I guess you're calling yourself a retard. Hey, power to you for being honest with yourself.

ChumpDumper
07-04-2006, 02:50 PM
It would be one thing to lose him to Detroit, but it's gonna suck if we get beat out for Joel by Portland.