PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Wallace to join Bulls - and Garnett might be next

ducks
07-04-2006, 10:22 AM
Sources: Wallace to join Bulls - and Garnett might be next

Tuesday, July 4, 2006

By Paul Ladewski
Staff writerBulls general manager John Paxson promised to think big in the free-agent market, which opened for business Saturday.

But if the master plan comes to fruition, this offseason has the potential to be bigger than big for a Bulls team that hasn't advanced to the second round of the playoffs in eight long years.

According to league sources, forward-center Ben Wallace, who previously played for the Detroit Pistons, and the Bulls agreed to a four-year, $60 million contract. The deal cannot be consummated until July 12, when the salary cap will be in place for next season.

"I appreciate everything that Detroit did for me," Wallace told the Detroit News. "They gave me an opportunity to make a name for myself, and we had an opportunity to win a championship together."

Paxson and Bulls head coach Scott Skiles met with Wallace on Saturday, the first day teams could contact free agents.

Paxson did not return a phone call Monday night.

According to published reports, the Pistons had a four-year, $51 million deal on the table. Wallace was said to be disappointed the offer was less than the five-year, $57 million contract that Pistons forward Rasheed Wallace signed last year.

Pistons operations chief Joe Dumars was reluctant to make Wallace a more generous offer because of his age (31) and the fact his rebound and blocked shot averages had declined in each of the last three seasons.

"It was all about the money," a source close to the negotiations said. "It had nothing to do with relationships with teammates or coaches or front office personnel."

As part of the deal, the Bulls are believed to have promised to continue their pursuit of Minnesota Timberwolves star forward Kevin Garnett, who could be the final piece to the championship puzzle.

Wallace had said he would leave the Pistons only if another contender exceeded their contract offer. The four-time Defensive Player of the Year can't be expected to turn the Bulls into a serious championship threat by himself. He averaged 11.3 rebounds, 7.3 points and 2.2 blocked shots in 82 games last season.

The Daily Southtown reported last week that the Bulls were among several teams that inquired about Garnett prior to the NBA draft. Timberwolves operations chief Kevin McHale made it known that Garnett was not available.

The Bulls believe they can revive the talks if they sweeten their offer of center Tyson Chandler and forward Luol Deng with recent first-round draft pick Tyrus Thomas, whom the Timberwolves are known to covet.

A nucleus of Garnett, Wallace and Andres Nocioni on the front line coupled with Ben Gordon and Kirk Hinrich in the backcourt would immediately turn the Bulls into a legitimate championship contender.

In the meantime, the Timberwolves would be able to build around a young front line of Chandler, Deng and Thomas, who was the second overall pick in the draft a week ago.

Otherwise, the Bulls would be left with a pair of non-scorers in Chandler and Wallace in the middle.

Another possibility is a trade with the Denver Nuggets, who re-signed center-forward Nene to a six-year, $60 million deal recently. The contract was similar to the extension that Chandler received last summer.

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/041sd1.htm

ducks
07-04-2006, 10:24 AM
As part of the deal, the Bulls are believed to have promised to continue their pursuit of Minnesota Timberwolves star forward Kevin Garnett, who could be the final piece to the championship puzzle.

Quadzilla99
07-04-2006, 10:26 AM
That would be a sick lineup. Might have to give up Thomas though.

venitian navigator
07-04-2006, 10:48 AM
Imho this trade makes sense for Minny only if is included the next first choice (Knicks).
Chandler has a fat contract that Chicago wants absolutely to move away (also 'cause of the risky back..see above the trade for pj brown - a just one year man - and jr smith that they don't like).
T.Thomas is really young and unproven...
The only (quite) sure valueable thing is Deng...so I think that's not a very good offer for one of the best five players in the game today (and for at least two more years).

Talking about the other trade that Chicago is supposed to make (Chandler for P.J. Brown and J.R. Smith) I really think that's not a very good option for them...they are gonna have quite nothing in return after this year (pj retires) and they need an inside scorer and neither Thomas nor P.J. Brown fills the role...they really risk to have no chance to give the ball inside when the defense of the opposite team is set.

For next season, if the kg stuff doesn't work, if they still wanna be immediately a contender and, at the some time, get rid of Chandler's contract (along with one of the too many small forwards they have), the best option is still the one they could have from us (Scola + re-signed Mohammed + Barry).

I think they already know that.
The point is : are we really interested ?
I would, 'cause I like the idea of Chandler/Duncan front line set fore some years with Javtokas, Bonner and Horry (next year Mahinmi) as back ups...all young and rapidly growing their game near the best front line player of these last years...

strangeweather
07-04-2006, 10:51 AM
Garnett for Chandler, Deng, and Thomas would be hard for Minnesota to turn down. That's a starting front line.

sa_butta
07-04-2006, 10:59 AM
Even if they dont get Garnett the Bulls are going to have a hell of a team. They already have a bunch of college all-stars as it is. They are slowly but surely taking themselves back to the glory days.

spurschick
07-04-2006, 11:13 AM
Just because they add a few stars, it doesn't mean they'll have good chemistry. After seeing what happened with the Lakers supposed dream team, I can't bow to a team that stockpiles a crapload of big names. There were many that thought the Spurs signing NVE was a coup... look how that turned out. I am certainly not comparing Ben Wallace or KG to NVE, but you can never tell what is going to happen until they get on the court with a bunch of new faces.

All of that being said, the Bulls only needed a couple of pieces to complete an already very good team. They already had one of the best defensive teams in the league. Wallace just made them better... in theory.

JamStone
07-04-2006, 11:16 AM
If the Bulls somehow get KG, that would be a great starting line-up, with absolutely zero bench. Maybe they get someone like Justin Reed from Minnesota to fill up a roster spot.

Hinrich >> Duhon
Gordon >> Sefolosha
Nocioni >> Reed
KG >> Sweetney >> Malik Allen
Ben >> Othella

But, that is a heck of starting squad, and that frontline would be hellacious on the glass.

Mr. Body
07-04-2006, 11:18 AM
Garnett on this team - losing Deng, Thomas, and Chandler - for some reason seems missing something. Still missing scoring, inside scoring. I also doubt the chemistry is there, as a previous poster said.

But something to be reckoned with.

TheTruth
07-04-2006, 11:21 AM
All of that being said, the Bulls only needed a couple of pieces to complete an already very good team. They already had one of the best defensive teams in the league. Wallace just made them better... in theory.
In theory??? They just added the best defensive center in the league. I'm sure Scott Skiles will make it work.

Spurs9
07-04-2006, 12:04 PM
If they get garnett that would be insane.

strangeweather
07-04-2006, 12:08 PM
In theory??? They just added the best defensive center in the league. I'm sure Scott Skiles will make it work.
They still need to fill out a reasonable lineup -- the Chandler for PJ Brown deal, for example. Can you imagine the offensive problems inside with Chandler playing next to Wallace?

TDMVPDPOY
07-04-2006, 12:13 PM
they dont need KG on the team, all they have to do is wish the knicks tank the season and get that pick thats owe to them, and draft noah or oden and they are set for the future.

Beer is Good
07-04-2006, 12:13 PM
Garnett for Chandler, Deng, and Thomas would be hard for Minnesota to turn down. That's a starting front line.
Somehow I think Minnesota wants more for Garnett. Chandler is very streaky as a player, Deng is serviceable and a good player, and Thomas has done absolutely NOTHING. All he did was light up a couple of physically weak teams in the NCAA. I personally think he'll be a huge bust. Starting front line? Maybe. For a bad team.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-04-2006, 12:20 PM
The Bulls are already in position to be in the ECF for the next 3-4 years against the Heat.

Adding KG would be sick and someone should take McHale out back and beat the shit out of him if he makes that trade.

spurschick
07-04-2006, 12:26 PM

We were also sure that NVE would be a great addition to the Spurs. All I'm saying is, it looks good on paper, but they don't play the game on paper.

ducks
07-04-2006, 12:30 PM
do not the bulls have the knicks pick next year as well in the first round?

strangeweather
07-04-2006, 12:35 PM
do not the bulls have the knicks pick next year as well in the first round?
They have the option of swapping first round picks with the Knicks. Obviously, it's looking pretty likely that they'll exercise that option at this point.

ChumpDumper
07-04-2006, 12:40 PM
This guy needs to be sent a link to HornetsReport.

strangeweather
07-04-2006, 12:44 PM
The Bulls are already in position to be in the ECF for the next 3-4 years against the Heat.

Adding KG would be sick and someone should take McHale out back and beat the shit out of him if he makes that trade.
So other than firing McHale and finding a GM with a clue, what do you do if you're Minnesota at this point? They're carrying Garnett at $20M a year, and not even making the playoffs, because the rest of their lineup sucks.

exstatic
07-04-2006, 12:54 PM
So other than firing McHale and finding a GM with a clue, what do you do if you're Minnesota at this point? They're carrying Garnett at $20M a year, and not even making the playoffs, because the rest of their lineup sucks.
I think you blow it up. Make this trade, BUT, DEMAND that Knicks pick if it materializes. Oden would definintely make shipping KG out worthwhile.

clubalien
07-04-2006, 12:58 PM
bulls could be in the situation that piston were. winning big and having opportunity to get a huge draft pick... bull fans better hope they pick better then darko

piston gave up
wade and carmelo
and don't even have darko now
worst pick ever

ajh18
07-04-2006, 01:01 PM
Bulls could offer Chandler, the knicks pick, and any two of Deng, Nocionni, Gordon, or Duhon for KG.

Minnessota would upgrade at three positions, and get two high draft picks next year... They could run a young starting lineup of Chandler, Nocionni, Foye, Gordon, and Jaric (with davis off the bench). And they could then fill that team out with a star out of next year's deep draft.

The Bulls would then field a team of Wallace, Garnett, Deng, Thabo, and Heinrich, with Duhon and Thomas off the bench. That team is seven deep and keeps its top pick this year. Minnessotta gets to rebuild and is in a good position for the future.

ducks
07-04-2006, 01:02 PM
This guy needs to be sent a link to HornetsReport.

not sure that insider is going to post there anymore
they are bashing him. and that thread is closed
one mod there said fine get your info from espn

sprrs
07-04-2006, 03:26 PM
We were also sure that NVE would be a great addition to the Spurs. All I'm saying is, it looks good on paper, but they don't play the game on paper.

See: Miami Heat

ObiwanGinobili
07-04-2006, 03:33 PM
Just because they add a few stars, it doesn't mean they'll have good chemistry.

exactly.
there is no such thing as a sure thing.

look at all the pre-seaosn talk about Houston last year.... where did that go?

but certainly the thought of KG & Big Ben added into that young atheletic Bulls squad..well it sends shivers down my spine if they can harmonize & play well as a TEAM.

Supergirl
07-04-2006, 06:18 PM
Minnesota would be fucking insane to part with KG for some "young prospects."

Just like Philly would be insane to part with AI for what Boston has to offer.

Yet I predict, one of these two things will go down, because teams are looking at the Miami-Lakers insane trade and thinking, well, they traded half their roster for one guy, and won a championship. Maybe it could work for us.

NBA Junkie
07-04-2006, 10:18 PM
I doubt the Bulls trade for KG now that Wallace is on board.

In the next few years, Wallace and KG combined would be making close to 40 million between the two of them and that would be close to 65-70% of the teams cap space (I'm thinking adjusted cap space per year).

Add to the fact that a few of their younger guys will be due for large extensions (Hinrich, Nocioni) and that would be a luxury tax nightmare.