PDA

View Full Version : Any liberals AND conservatives here dating or married to each other?

ididnotnothat
10-18-2004, 10:29 AM
James Carville and Mary Matalin are married and so are Arnold Schwarzenegger and Maria Shriver. I was just curious if those of you who are liberals and dyed in the wool Democrats have dated or would even consider dating conservatives who are dyed in the wool Republicans or vice versa. Wouldn't it be fair to say that not all Republicans or jerks and not all Democrats are jerks? And that even though we might disagree with people that we don't necessarily dislike them? For instance, last week's show had Alanis Morissette and she's a Kerry supporter. So is Drew Barrymore. Now, why in the world those two beautiful women would want to date me I have no idea, but I may not agree with them on every issue but I don't dislike them. I think that you can respect someone and their beliefs and still disagree with them. But that doesn't mean that you are now my enemy and I must dislike you. Because I have friends who are liberals and Democrats and I've dated women who are liberals and Democrats.

People are different and I think it's wrong when people make assumptions that conservatives are evil or liberals are evil. They're just different from you but that doesn't make them all evil. Now, some of them are. But I don't think that people should make generalizations about an entire group of people just because some in the group are bad guys when most are good people that you just happen to disagree with. Am I wrong?

Samurai Jane
10-18-2004, 10:35 AM
Absolutely not, my husband voted for Gore last time around and politics have never been an issue in our marriage. We also have a Kerry supporter on our bowling team that we consider a great guy. I will mention that when he found out that I was a Bush supporter he said "I wish I hadn't of known that." Like that changes our friendship?? Anyway, I may represent a different point of view, but I still consider all of y'all good people...

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-18-2004, 10:41 AM
I think I would like to have somebody of a different background/political belief. If you can't hold intelligent conversation and issue-thinking with your spouse, who can you hold it with?

Jane, that sucks about your friend, though.

My best friend here at State is basically undecided-leaning Bush while I'm leaning Kerry. We can bounce ideas and thought off each other and neither her nor I get pissed off or hate each other because of it.

Though we do talk some good-natured smack every once in awhile.

ididnotnothat
10-18-2004, 10:43 AM
Well I lean towards Bush but my wife is backing Kerry this time around.
She is for woman's rights and gay rights.

SpursWoman
10-18-2004, 10:47 AM
I have, and when the subject ever came up and I figured it might get ugly...I found a few creative ways to change it. :cooldevil

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-18-2004, 10:48 AM
I have, and when the subject ever came up and I figured it might get ugly...I found a few creative ways to change it. :cooldevil

Oh, the thoughts raging...

Damn you, S-Dub. :lol

CosmicCowboy
10-18-2004, 10:58 AM
When I was single I tended towards democrats for casual gratuitous sex but married a republican... :lol

JohnnyMarzetti
10-18-2004, 10:59 AM
So now you don't have sex?

Useruser666
10-18-2004, 11:00 AM
SW, your title reminds me of this pic.

http://img72.exs.cx/img72/4696/warirony.jpg

SpursWoman
10-18-2004, 11:02 AM
Lesbians against Bush? :wtf

CosmicCowboy
10-18-2004, 11:05 AM
So now you don't have sex?

:lmao

nooo...but like all good Republicans I enjoyed screwing Democrats... :lol

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-18-2004, 11:08 AM
Lesbians against Bush? :wtf

Maybe they like a clean shaven Bush or a landing strip that can't be closed down by base closure.

:lmao

JoeChalupa
10-18-2004, 11:26 AM
The wife and I are both supporting Kerry. She is not into politics that much though.
We actually didn't discuss it much before we got married but it wouldn't matter.
Here at work I'm one of the few wise who are supporting Kerry.
Things do get tense when we talk smack sometimes but we always walk away friends.
It is all good and we are all Americans.

Kori Ellis
10-18-2004, 11:38 AM
We are a conservative household, but I don't think politics affects any of my friendships. For example, we like the Chalupas a lot, and I think it would be interesting to meet NBADan. :)

Bandit2981
10-18-2004, 12:41 PM
me and my girlfriend are both liberals, but once in high school i dated a girl whose family was hardcore straight ticket voting republican, and he told me to leave when i told him i was going to vote for Nader :lol

Useruser666
10-18-2004, 12:56 PM
me and my girlfriend are both liberals, but once in high school i dated a girl whose family was hardcore straight ticket voting republican, and he told me to leave when i told him i was going to vote for Nader :lol

Sounds like an idea for a sitcom pilot.

CosmicCowboy
10-18-2004, 01:39 PM
:lol
Sounds like an idea for a sitcom pilot.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/issues/dispatch/2001-06-29/screens_tveye-1.jpg

get outa my house, Meathead!

Hook Dem
10-18-2004, 01:44 PM
^^^ :lmao^^^

Hook Dem
10-18-2004, 01:46 PM
I won't comment on Carville being a Democrat because thats his right, but he's the ugliest, most obnoxius SOB I've ever seen.

Hook Dem
10-18-2004, 01:48 PM
Yes.....even more so than Michael Moore. :lol

Useruser666
10-18-2004, 02:31 PM
That was an awsome show CC!

TheMrPeanut
10-18-2004, 03:30 PM
It took my wife some time to come out her shell but when it comes down to it, we're both nuts.

Useruser666
10-18-2004, 03:52 PM
Your wife makes a great spread too! :smokin Sorry that was just asking for it!

Nbadan
10-19-2004, 12:38 AM
We are a conservative household, but I don't think politics affects any of my friendships. For example, we like the Chalupas a lot, and I think it would be interesting to meet NBADan.

:hat

My wife is a life-long Republican, but after lurking in this forum for awhile and reading some of my and other's posts, she has decided to vote for John Kerry. So I guess I won't have to hide her registration card this year after all.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-19-2004, 12:49 AM
I won't comment on Carville being a Democrat because thats his right, but he's the ugliest, most obnoxius SOB I've ever seen.

http://uweb.txstate.edu/~jr47581/pictures/pdvd_000.jpg
http://uweb.txstate.edu/~jr47581/pictures/pdvd_001.jpg
http://uweb.txstate.edu/~jr47581/pictures/pdvd_002.jpg

AlamoSpursFan
10-19-2004, 12:54 AM
Mrs. ASF has always delighted in taking the opposite viewpoint just to twist my proverbial screws, so to speak, but she actually sat down and watched the debates by herself (because her annoying, overbearing, ditto-head husband was at work) and she surprised me by announcing "I'm voting for your guy this time. Kerry's an idiot."

God, I love her...

JoeChalupa
10-19-2004, 10:12 AM

Well, she ain't exactly a looker herself you know.

JoeChalupa
10-19-2004, 10:15 AM
We are a conservative household, but I don't think politics affects any of my friendships. For example, we like the Chalupas a lot, and I think it would be interesting to meet NBADan. :)

I agree. We always have a great time at the GTG's.
I'd like to meet Yonivore, Marcus, HookDem, Whottt and everyone else who posts in here. It is all good.

Hook Dem
10-19-2004, 10:15 AM
Well, she ain't exactly a looker herself you know.
But her hubby makes her look like a 10. :lol

Hook Dem
10-19-2004, 10:17 AM
I agree. We always have a great time at the GTG's.
I'd like to meet Yonivore, Marcus, HookDem, Whottt and everyone else who posts in here. It is all good.
It would be a pleasure to meet you too Joe.