PDA

View Full Version : Nazr to the Pistons

Pages : [1] 2

DirkAB
07-04-2006, 02:25 PM
Just heard on ESPN radio that Nazr has agreed to terms with the Pistons.Does this spell Pryzbilla to the Spurs?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2509256

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-04-2006, 02:29 PM
P-R-Z-Y-B-I-L-L-A A S-P-U-R. Yea that's sounds good.

Solid D
07-04-2006, 02:32 PM
No way! Really? Wow, the plot thickens big-time. :wow

clooneyschick04
07-04-2006, 02:34 PM

Free agent center Nazr Mohammed of the Spurs has agreed to a deal with the Detroit Pistons, ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher is reporting.

Terms were unavailable. Mohammed replaces Ben Wallace, who told the team Monday that he was leaving to join the Chicago Bulls.

Wallace, who agreed to a four-year, $60 million deal with Chicago, helped Detroit advance to four straight conference finals -- the first team to do so since the Bulls of the early 1990s.

Mohammed played in 80 games for San Antonio last season, averaging 6.2 points and 5.2 rebounds.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Bob Lanier
07-04-2006, 02:35 PM
We Bulls fans are pleased with the total demise of our longtime rivals.

DirkAB
I'm really curious to see how much they threw at him.

himat
NOOOOOOOOOOO! :depressed :madrun :drunk :smokin :shootme :bang :spless: :cuss :flipoff :cry :hang

What the hell is going on?

TheTruth
whoa, didn't see that one coming. So, it's either SA or back to portland for JP?

leemajors
07-04-2006, 02:36 PM
have fun with that. can basketball players wear receiver gloves when playing? if so, he may just hang on to some passes.

Burn531
07-04-2006, 02:37 PM
:madrun

Ninja-Defense
07-04-2006, 02:38 PM
Pryzbilla a Spur...I guess I could get used to that...if it happens!

JamStone
07-04-2006, 02:38 PM
no offense, nazr, but please say it aint so ...

TheTruth
07-04-2006, 02:39 PM
I'd rather the spurs try to make a run at trading for magloire (sp?) and his 1 year contract.

ChumpDumper
07-04-2006, 02:39 PM
no offenseBingo!

sa_butta
07-04-2006, 02:40 PM
Wow, I guess its Pryzbilla and Javkostas or however it is spelled. I dont know too much on either of these guys other than what Ive seen on video here.

Ninja-Defense
07-04-2006, 02:40 PM
Who's better? Magloire or Pryz? Or rather who would fit better with us?

loveforthegame
07-04-2006, 02:41 PM
So much for sign and trade possibilities.

Unless the Spurs upped their offer to the full MLE, I don't see him coming here.

I wonder if Joel took too long or turned the Pistons down. They didn't take long to move on from him.

picnroll
No Nazr is good news.

Aggie Hoopsfan
It would have been nice if we could have at least gotten something back from them, a draft pick, something...

mandoman
07-04-2006, 02:44 PM
5 years $30M

himat
07-04-2006, 02:45 PM
This isn't Joe Dumars. It can't be :depressed .

Please_dont_ban_me
07-04-2006, 02:46 PM
Good for him.

Hopefully he doesn't turn into the next Samaki Walker, in more ways that one.

Bob Lanier
07-04-2006, 02:47 PM
5 years $30M
:lmao :lmao :lmao
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2004/pr/subs/siexclusive/06/15/pistons.flashback/p1_dumars_all.jpg
:owned

Leetonidas
07-04-2006, 02:48 PM
Yowza, I didn't see that one coming.

But it looks like Pryzbilla is coming here or staying in Portland.

Ninja-Defense
Why couldn't we score some kind of S & T w/ the Pistons? I know Nazr was unrestricted but everyone kept mentioning the S & T possibilities...

Aggie Hoopsfan
whoa 6 mill?

A five year contract starting out at the mid level exception comes out to 29.5 million after raises over the life of the raise. Detroit just spent their entire MLE on Nazr.

Leetonidas
07-04-2006, 02:49 PM
That's kinda weird. Taking the center that beat you in the Finals...well, good luck to Nazr. I liked him, just not his stone hands.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-04-2006, 02:50 PM
This isn't Joe Dumars. It can't be :depressed .

Well, it is the same guy who drafted Milicic and just let the heart of his team walk to divisional rival Chicago for an extra two mil a year.

Leetonidas
Playing with Isiah must've fucked Mr. Dumars in the head.

Please_dont_ban_me
That's kinda weird. Taking the center that beat you in the Finals...well, good luck to Nazr. I liked him, just not his stone hands.

Kind of like we did with Horry.

SenorSpur
07-04-2006, 02:51 PM
Looks like they didn't have much choice. Kudos to the Pistons for moving swiftly and decisively.

Memo to Spurs Front Office:

What now?
What the hell are you guys waiting on? Divine intervention?
Do something!

The next sound you hear will be the last FA center going down the drain.

Ninja-Defense
Well, it is the same guy who drafted Milicic and just let the heart of his team walk to divisional rival Chicago for an extra two mil a year.

No kidding...Now can we please stop hearing the "Joe Dumars is the best Exec in the league" crap! We all know that's RC's title...

DirkAB
5 years $30M

Where are you getting those numbers? Link please.

Bob Lanier
Why couldn't we score some kind of S & T w/ the Pistons? I know Nazr was unrestricted but everyone kept mentioning the S & T possibilities...
Why don't you ask? This version of Dumars would probably give you Chauncey and Rasheed for Nazr, Beno, and Barry.

Leetonidas
07-04-2006, 02:52 PM
Kind of like we did with Horry.

No, Horry didn't sink no three's on us in the playoffs, or the Finals. He missed the three to win it in 2003, remember?

Leetonidas
07-04-2006, 02:53 PM
But if Pryzbilla chooses to stay in Portland, we're seriously in some trouble because we have no centers at the moment.

Aggie Hoopsfan
The only conclusion I can come to is that Dumars is trying to give Isiah a run for worst GM of all time. It's the only thing that makes sense.

Ninja-Defense
Why don't you ask? This version of Dumars would probably give you Chauncey and Rasheed for Nazr, Beno, and Barry.

Yeah, no kidding! :lol

mandoman
07-04-2006, 02:54 PM
Where are you getting those numbers? Link please.

Heard it on ESPN radio a few minutes ago. Newsreader said per Ric Bucher.

SenorSpur
07-04-2006, 02:54 PM
But if Pryzbilla chooses to stay in Portland, we're seriously in some trouble because we have no centers at the moment.

That's exactly what scares the shit out of most everyone here. The Spurs will be left with nothing if they don't stop come with it and stop "lowballing" players that can help fill a definite need.

Ninja-Defense
07-04-2006, 02:56 PM
Heard it on ESPN radio a few minutes ago. Newsreader said per Ric Bucher.

Oh well...Then bring on the "Toker" :smokin

clubalien
07-04-2006, 02:56 PM
I think przy used piston offer to force spurs to work out a sign and trade with portland so przy can get more moeny

if this is true my post of
ben to bull
nazr topistons
joel to spurs came true!

Please_dont_ban_me
07-04-2006, 02:58 PM
The only conclusion I can come to is that Dumars is trying to give Isiah a run for worst GM of all time. It's the only thing that makes sense.

That's funny.

Spurs fans distaste for Nazr must make anybody else who goes after him a bad GM. Despite there track record. Nazr was well underappreciated here, and got fair market value. That doesn't make Dumars the next Isiah Thomas.

FreshPrince22
Well, our defense is gonna blow. I'm not worried about his hands... It isn't physically possible to be worse with the ball than Ben Wallace.

I think Joe is taking him based on the fact that he has a history of killing us.

Leetonidas

rayray2k8
At least the piston got their Center..
Personally I would of kept Nazr but I guess he thinks the grass is greener in Detriot.
With the way things have been going, who knows where Przbilla will end up in.

furry_spurry
07-04-2006, 03:00 PM
Przybilla could be staying in Portland. He was their main priority and he was emotional about the thought of leaving.

furry_spurry
07-04-2006, 03:01 PM

Spurs did not want to take salary back. I have been saying that all along.

Leetonidas
Joel knows if he wants to win, this is the place to come.

Ninja-Defense
You know, given how CIA the Spurs FO is, I can see us (finally) making some moves closer to July 12 if not right on that day...But it might be too late to nab someone worthwhile by that point.

Mr.Bottomtooth
as long as pistons provide nazr with some glue
:lmao

ChumpDumper
07-04-2006, 03:02 PM
What would Detroit give us in a trade?

Cato?

Whoop de do.

Ninja-Defense
07-04-2006, 03:02 PM
By that I mean, assuming we've had stuff in the works up until that point.

TDMVPDPOY
07-04-2006, 03:03 PM
we are clearly fuckd up this season, gettin rid 2 centers

javtokas/orbeto will fill the void, but we seriously need a capable starting center.

are we goin to get pryz? or just sign that white guy on the summer team and bring over scola.

clubalien
07-04-2006, 03:04 PM
but if we don't get joel we have no nazr

it is either a trade or small ball to the rescue

ChumpDumper
07-04-2006, 03:05 PM
We spend all last season bitching about our centers, now we cry when they are gone.

Not unexpected.

furry_spurry
Joel knows if he wants to win, this is the place to come.
Not necessariy true anymore. That is what people don't understand.

Spurs won't even offer Joel the fifth year on the deal.

And the Spurs were not going to give Nazr the MLE for 5 years either.

Burn531
5 years $30M

:lol :depressed :smokin :drunk :shootme :bang

furry_spurry
07-04-2006, 03:06 PM
We spend all last season bitching about our centers, now we cry when they are gone.

Not unexpected.
Somewhere Rasho and Nazr are smiling. :)

Leetonidas
we are clearly fuckd up this season, gettin rid 2 centers

javtokas/orbeto will fill the void, but we seriously need a capable starting center.

are we goin to get pryz? or just sign that white guy on the summer team and bring over scola.

Scola is not fucking coming dude.

People shouldn't be worrying so much right now. It's the fucking 4th of July. The season starts in NOVEMBER. We have a lot of time.

Aggie Hoopsfan
We better hearing that we're getting Joel. If Pop embraces small ball I'm going to go Ghostal.

leemajors
Not necessariy true anymore. That is what people don't understand.

Spurs won't even offer Joel the fifth year on the deal.

And the Spurs were not going to give Nazr the MLE for 5 years either.

that offer may just change, we really don't know what is going on until they make a statement.

Spurs9
07-04-2006, 03:08 PM
javtokas will be the answer...

...hopefully.

SenorSpur
07-04-2006, 03:08 PM
there are still a few players that can be traded to us if we don't sign joel

Bump that. Personally, I'm sick of the FO's annual strategy of "scrounging the bottom of the barrel" in search of finding the next "washed-out, FA veteran-of-the-year". It seems every year the Spurs manage to come up with a Nick Van Exel or a Steve Smith or someone else who should've retired a couple of seasons before their arrival to the Spurs -yet they're trying to hold on to win a championship. Anyone remember the Spurs' annual dalliances with Karl Malone and Gary Payton? Give me a break.

For once, I'd wish they'd stop bargain basement-hunting and successfully target and sign the appropriate player that fills a respective need. If Pryz is the best FA center left, and all indications are that he is - GET IT DONE! Don't tell me about Danny Fortson, Lorenzen Wright, Danny Schayes, Loren Woods, Shawn Kemp, Vlade Divac, Raef Lafrentz, Arvydas Sabonis or some such has been.

After all, Tim isn't gonna be around forever. At this point, it's all about winning championships - not trying to squeeze out leftover talent from an old, aged veteran.

loveforthegame
07-04-2006, 03:09 PM

I'm not crying they're gone. But I will cry if we don't see the Spurs make up for the hole created there.

furry_spurry
07-04-2006, 03:10 PM
that offer may just change, we really don't know what is going on until they make a statement.
"If Mohammed receives an offer the Spurs don't want to meet, team officials also aren't opposed to beginning the season with Tim Duncan, Fabricio Oberto and Lithuanian Robertas Javtokas sharing time at center."

Pretty clear from today's newspaper.

ChumpDumper
07-04-2006, 03:10 PM
Oh, we're crying. Look around.

mavsfan1000
07-04-2006, 03:14 PM
The spurs didn't play their centers against Dallas anyways. Might as well get rid of them and and add to their small ball.

loveforthegame
07-04-2006, 03:15 PM
This from Jason Quick.

Just got word that the Detroit Pistons have signed free agent center Nazr Mohammed to a four-year deal at the midlevel exception, effectively ending any chance of Blazers center Joel Przybilla going to Detroit.

Przybilla is still expected to make a decision today, and it is believed to be contemplating between the Blazers, who have offered a five-year, $30 million deal; San Antonio, who offered four years and about $24 million; and perhaps Cleveland or Sacramento.

SenorSpur
07-04-2006, 03:15 PM
The spurs didn't play their centers against Dallas anyways. Might as well get rid of them and and add to their small ball.

Fuck Small ball!

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-04-2006, 03:16 PM
"If Mohammed receives an offer the Spurs don't want to meet, team officials also aren't opposed to beginning the season with Tim Duncan, Fabricio Oberto and Lithuanian Robertas Javtokas sharing time at center."

Pretty clear from today's newspaper.

Right, the Spurs usually do exactly what they tell the local beat writers when it comes to personnel moves. :rolleyes

DirkAB
07-04-2006, 03:16 PM
A lot of Spurs fans seem to think that Pryzbilla is the answer to their prayers. I just don't see it, I think he is a glorified scrub.

ChumpDumper
07-04-2006, 03:17 PM
Just got word that the Detroit Pistons have signed free agent center Nazr Mohammed to a four-year deal at the midlevel exception, effectively ending any chance of Blazers center Joel Przybilla going to Detroit.

Przybilla is still expected to make a decision today, and it is believed to be contemplating between the Blazers, who have offered a five-year, $30 million deal; San Antonio, who offered four years and about $24 million; and perhaps Cleveland or Sacramento.He won't be able to feed his family with $24 million.

greens
I was really hoping Nazr would have stayed on the Spurs. He played a huge part in our win in 2005. And this year, we had the best record for the Spurs franchise. I don't know why we would want to make too many changes in our roster since we came so close this year to winning again, (had it not been for small ball/Manu's foul...)

I'm glad that Rasho was traded since his contract was way too expensive for what he is worth...I've always thought that Nazr was a good center, true he has weaknesses...

And now it looks like we might not even have a center at all! And we desperately need a center. It will be strange to see Nazr playing for the Pistons now...I hope we get Joel...cuz if we don't, we'll be in trouble...

Aggie Hoopsfan

Fuck. Small. Ball.

ObiwanGinobili
07-04-2006, 03:19 PM
or small ball to the rescue

that thought makes me barf.

jcrod
07-04-2006, 03:20 PM
Wow, i hoping we be able to at least trade him for something, sucks. Shit we better get Przybilla, because Oberto and Robert would suck as our centers.

picnroll
07-04-2006, 03:20 PM
I'm nowhere near unhappy about Rasho and Nazr gone but given Oberto's foul rate and word that Javtokas is foul prone as well Duncan and Horry better be ready to play a ton of minutes.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-04-2006, 03:22 PM
I'm nowhere near unhappy about Rasho and Nazr gone but given Oberto's foul rate and word that Javtokas is foul prone as well Duncan and Horry better be ready to play a ton of minutes.

Which means they're burned out and/or hurt come playoff time.

picnroll
07-04-2006, 03:23 PM
Count on it.

ObiwanGinobili
07-04-2006, 03:23 PM
He won't be able to feed his family with $24 million.
ground up diamonds makes his dookie sparkle I guess.

damn why is it always about the $$ with these guys??
Big Ben leaves DET over 2mil a yr??? Althoguh I have to say it's fucked that they didn't counter offer.
but you know what I mean .... it's all about the paycheck. WHY?

you would think that once you get past a certain dollar amount that it really wouldn;t effect your day to day standard of living. Is there really somehting out there that they absolutely have to have that they can't afford at this point?

What ever happend to love of the game?

thats why I like Bowen - dude took a payCUT to help out the team. :tu

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-04-2006, 03:27 PM

Big Ben leaves DET over 2mil a yr??? Althoguh I have to say it's fucked that they didn't counter offer.

you would think that once you get past a certain dollar amount that it really wouldn;t effect your day to day standard of living. Is there really somehting out there that they absolutely have to have that they can't afford at this point?

I think after this year we need to sign Bowen to an extesnsion. I believe this is going to be his 3rd year of a 4 year deal. I say another 4 year deal so he can retire as a Spur and maybe even get his jersey retired.

ObiwanGinobili
07-04-2006, 03:27 PM

not to mention Horry is, lets face it, OLD.

a PP mentioned us bitching about our centers and now bitchign that we have none.

true.

but the fact is our centers were not the best. they were not what this team needed nor deserved.
there is a sever lack of talent in the NBA at the 5 and Spurs are feeling it in the nutsack right now.
God I hope we don't spend all our $$ o nthe 1st fairly decent thing we see.... but you knw we will - we are center desperate.

ObiwanGinobili
07-04-2006, 03:29 PM
I think after this year we need to sign Bowen to an extesnsion. I believe this is going to be his 3rd year of a 4 year deal. I say another 4 year deal so he can retire as a Spur and maybe even get his jersey retired.

thankyou, agreed. :fro

Rescueone
I wouldn't be suprised to see Ian on the team next season!!! He might surprise everyone!!

Despot
Why would pryz come here? I'm dumbfounded. Pryz was the Pistons first choice, Pryz obviously turned them down, so they get Nazr, whom they gave 5y- $30 Mil, they must have offered Pryz at least that or more, which I don't believe the Spurs had any intentions of offering either of them that much.

If I'm correct, was Detroit not over the salary cap? if that's the case, they would not have the MLE to spend on Nazr?

Bob Lanier
07-04-2006, 03:32 PM
According to ESPN, they spent more than the MLE on Nazr. :lmao

ChumpDumper
07-04-2006, 03:33 PM
Detroit is over the cap. They only had the MLE to spend.

Please_dont_ban_me
With the backup bigs on the Pistons, it's not a guarantee Nazr will start either.

Aggie Hoopsfan
Pryz was the Pistons first choice, Pryz obviously turned them down, so they get Nazr, whom they gave 5y- $30 Mil, they must have offered Pryz at least that or more, which I don't believe the Spurs had any intentions of offering either of them that much.

You don't know that for sure. All you know is a Portland writer with connections knew Joel had an offer from Detroit.

For all we know Detroit called up the agents for both players, said here's the offer, first one to accept it gets it.

furry_spurry
07-04-2006, 03:35 PM

Look how much the Spurs appreciated the $10M Rasho gave up to come here.

It's about the $$$ with the owners, as well.

wsdp
07-04-2006, 03:35 PM
ESPN has wrong numbers... deal is 4-years, $25-million according to Detroit News (Chris McCoskey) and WDFN Radio (Pistons Flagship)

mabber
07-04-2006, 03:37 PM
Fuck Small ball!

Pop must be talking a lot to his good buddy, Don Nelson these days. Get ready for small ball 24/7.

furry_spurry
07-04-2006, 03:38 PM
Well, if Nazr took 4/$25M than maybe Przybilla was not offered the full MLE by Detroit and will return to Portland for it.

ChumpDumper
ESPN has wrong numbers... deal is 4-years, $25-million according to Detroit News (Chris McCoskey) and WDFN Radio (Pistons Flagship)Nazr undercut Joel? :lol

leemajors
With the backup bigs on the Pistons, it's not a guarantee Nazr will start either.

i would keep mcdyess on the bench, he provides a nice post/mid range scoring option. i would let nazr start, but definitely not have him finish.

ObiwanGinobili
Look how much the Spurs appreciated the $10M Rasho gave up to come here.

It's about the $$$ with the owners, as well.

especially ours. :lol

wsdp
07-04-2006, 03:39 PM
I spoke with the WDFN studio, they believe (and are calling Pistons source to confirm) that Joel's chronic knee problems scared them away in the end...

JamStone
07-04-2006, 03:40 PM
ESPN has wrong numbers... deal is 4-years, $25-million according to Detroit News (Chris McCoskey) and WDFN Radio (Pistons Flagship)

Wouldn't be surprised if it is a four year contract, with a team option for a fifth, so it could possibly be 5-year, $30 million.

ObiwanGinobili
07-04-2006, 03:41 PM
Soo...
lets say we DO get Joel (not tat he;s our savior or anything)

at what % would you say our chances of gettign to the Finals2007 then be??

since I would think that this is a ques. Pryz should also be asking himself when deciding weather or not to sign w/ Spurs.

Follow up to that:
does Pryz go for the better chance at a ring?
or more $$?

furry_spurry
I spoke with the WDFN studio, they believe (and are calling Pistons source to confirm) that Joel's chronic knee problems scared them away in the end...

Then you would think the Spurs aren't interested in 5 years for him either.

NuGGeTs-FaN
everyone seems too tough on Nazr, i think he will work well in Detroit.

ChumpDumper
07-04-2006, 03:42 PM
Younger players give less of a shit about rings.

Younger players with wives and kids -- even less.

Roscoe and the Body
07-04-2006, 03:43 PM
Would the Spurs be interested in a Dale Davis and $1.5M TE for Nazr Mohammed S&T? Davis is in the last year of his contract that will pay him $3.5M...

jcrod
07-04-2006, 03:43 PM

yeah ONLY 2 mil a yr. Thats 8 million in the 4yr span. You're telling me you would turn down 8 million? Easier said than done. He didn't like Flip so it made it all that easier to leave.

George Gervin's Afro
07-04-2006, 03:44 PM
I think alot of people need to calm down. I am going to give our front office the benefit of the doubt. Everyone who seems to be excited realizes what type of budget and contracts our team will not give. This should surprise no one... :wakeup

Please_dont_ban_me
07-04-2006, 03:45 PM
I think that's what it was, the Flip factor.

You think he wouldn't of stayed around in a defensive oriented team? Dumars probably knows the direction the team is heading, and knows Ben wouldn't have been as valuable for them as he has been in the past.

Also, somebody said he had concerns about Wallace's legs, and giving him a long term contract at this age for huge money would be risky.

furry_spurry
07-04-2006, 03:46 PM
Would you come here if you were a center? Just a simple question.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-04-2006, 03:46 PM
Would the Spurs be interested in a Dale Davis and $1.5M TE for Nazr Mohammed S&T? Davis is in the last year of his contract that will pay him $3.5M...

Dale Davis as a starter? Hell no.

But if you start a Oberto/Javkotas and have a security blanket off the bench like Dale Davis I would go for that. The guy I would LOVE to have is antonio davis.

SenorSpur
07-04-2006, 03:47 PM

Please. Enough with the "old guy" references already.

SPARKY
Why are Spurs fans surprised that Mohammed might walk? That's been the plan from the start.

Please_dont_ban_me
Would you come here if you were a center? Just a simple question.

If I were an average center, being offered a starting job for good money? Why the hell not.

*edit - on a championship caliber team, too.

ObiwanGinobili
07-04-2006, 03:48 PM
yeah ONLY 2 mil a yr. Thats 8 million in the 4yr span. You're telling me you would turn down 8 million? Easier said than done. He didn't like Flip so it made it all that easier to leave.

If someone offered me an envelope with 8 mill in it?? Hell no.

but if I was already sitting on a big ass bank roll exploding to the point that it takes weeks to count....
I think I would look to other things than $$$ to make my decision.

But Ben can make any decision he wants. And he did. Like I said I was surprised that DET didn't counter offer since it was *only* 2mil per yr.

it's this trend... there is no pint of us even sittting around tlaking about who MAY or MIGHT go where or which of the 3 teams offering a guy might get him.. since we all know that the player will OF COURSE decide to go with the team offering the most $$$.

hence my love of bruce bowen.

also: I was unaware there was hard feeligns between Ben and flip.... hmmmmmmmmmmm.

NuGGeTs-FaN
what would u give up for camby? lol

you know there is only one player the Nuggets would want. The man greatly disliked in Denver but surely the most loved man if he was in a Nuggets uniform :smokin :lol

Despot
You don't know that for sure. All you know is a Portland writer with connections knew Joel had an offer from Detroit.

For all we know Detroit called up the agents for both players, said here's the offer, first one to accept it gets it.

But what I'm wondering is will the Spurs go that high, i'm not so sure when it comes to a 5 year contract. With Nazr gone, the Spurs must have offered Pryz something by now, if we are interested. Since we have not heard anything yet, then we are probably not offering enough, or he wants to stay in Portland. I guess my reason for thinking this way is that I believe I'm going against the grain in thinking that Pryz is better than Nazr, by however little that may be.

SPARKY
07-04-2006, 03:49 PM
Perhaps the Spurs aren't feeling a long term commitment to anyone outside of the Big 3.

mabber
07-04-2006, 03:50 PM
I think alot of people need to calm down. I going to give our front office the benefit ofthe doubt. Everyone who seems to be excited realizes what type of budget and contracts our team will not give. This should surprise no one... :wakeup

No shit...I think 3 world championships should buy a little "benefit of the doubt" :smokin

Please_dont_ban_me
what would u give up for camby? lol

you know there is only one player the Nuggets would want. The man greatly disliked in Denver but surely the most loved man if he was in a Nuggets uniform :smokin :lol

I would give up anybody other than TP/Manu/Duncan.

No way in hell I give up Manu for Camby.

George Gervin's Afro
Perhaps the Spurs aren't feeling a long term commitment to anyone outside of the Big 3.

What this guy said.

NuGGeTs-FaN
the Big 3 is enough to get a ring, a serviceable center would be enough

SPARKY
07-04-2006, 03:51 PM
The Big 3 is enough to make fans think they have a shot at a title and to make the 2nd round of the postseason. Why spend more?

Please_dont_ban_me
07-04-2006, 03:52 PM
the Big 3 is enough to get a ring, a serviceable center would be enough

But we don't have a serviceable center.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-04-2006, 03:53 PM
Parker
Manu
Bowen
Horry
Duncan

Looks like we should just go with this. If Javkotas comes along well stick him at PF/C.

Despot
07-04-2006, 03:56 PM
I'm sure the Spurs have something up their sleeves, and I doubt we'll find out before signing day.

Roscoe and the Body
07-04-2006, 03:57 PM
The new nba is all about small ball...

Rescueone
07-04-2006, 04:01 PM
If Ian plays well in the summer league, he'll be added to the team this year.!!!!!

RogerIsEatingASandwich
07-04-2006, 04:02 PM
If it's true Priz is staying with Portland,I hope the Spurs have something up their sleeves...

Please_dont_ban_me
Is Iam even on our summer league roster?

SPARKY
If Ian plays well in the summer league, he'll be added to the team this year.!!!!!

Doubtful. I believe he's already signed a contract with a French team.

timvp
07-04-2006, 04:05 PM
I apologize, Piston fans. If you guys would have signed Przybilla, you'd still be a shoe-in for the ECF. Now with Mohammed, his fumbling will make you wish Joe D would've given Big Ben the max.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-04-2006, 04:06 PM
Parker
Manu
Bowen
Horry
Duncan

Looks like we should just go with this. If Javkotas comes along well stick him at PF/C.

Yeah, Horry logging significant minutes at the four worked out great for LA THREE YEARS AGO when he was so tired he couldn't hit a shot in the playoffs.

IF we're going to go with Horry at PF, may as well start making plans for something other than watching Spurs basketball come next May.

Kori Ellis
07-04-2006, 04:06 PM
Thank goodness Nazr left.

Another year of Nazr bumbling away passes and frustrating the hell out of his teammates by being out of position would have sucked.

Good luck with the Pistons, Nazr.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-04-2006, 04:08 PM
Would the Spurs go after Francisco Elson? He is a nice backup to Camby and has shown some real promise when he has been given extra minutes coz of injuries

Im hoping the Nuggets lock him up quick though :lol:

just throwing out some ideas for centers for you guys

Please_dont_ban_me
07-04-2006, 04:11 PM
Yeah, Horry logging significant minutes at the four worked out great for LA THREE YEARS AGO when he was so tired he couldn't hit a shot in the playoffs.

IF we're going to go with Horry at PF, may as well start making plans for something other than watching Spurs basketball come next May.

At this point I don't see Horry as a big-shot hitter who will be clutch come playoff time.

He is a guy who can rebound, can pass, can spread the floor...which is more than anything we seem to be getting in the FA market. Just let him start, and bring along Oberto/Javkotas.

I don't see any option better than that. It's not like Horry was huge last year but we still almost won. Just let him do his thing, don't rely on him bailing you out.

Spurologist
07-04-2006, 04:12 PM

my thoughts exactly. Even considering Horry as a starter at FOUR is mind boggling

Please_dont_ban_me
07-04-2006, 04:13 PM
Would the Spurs go after Francisco Elson? He is a nice backup to Camby and has shown some real promise when he has been given extra minutes coz of injuries

Im hoping the Nuggets lock him up quick though :lol:

just throwing out some ideas for centers for you guys

I would love to get him.

Seeing his battles with Garnett was lovely. The guy is a tough, physical player who can really fill that void at center. Not to mention you wouldnt' have to overpay, and he wouldn't demand huge minutes. So you can bring along Javkotas.

If he's available, grab him.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-04-2006, 04:13 PM
Btw

You make it sound like Horry was terrible with the Lakers starting at 4. I guess we saw different postseasons.

ObiwanGinobili
07-04-2006, 04:16 PM

no.

Kori Ellis
07-04-2006, 04:17 PM
Francisco Elson is too old. There's a lot of other bigs to choose from.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45311

George Gervin's Afro
07-04-2006, 04:18 PM
I hope Nazr does well in Detroit I kind of liked the guy. My only hope is that his brick hands benefit us when we do play the Pistons..

Please_dont_ban_me
07-04-2006, 04:21 PM

Too old?

We dont' necessarily need a long-term big. If fact, it seems like the Spurs are interested in getting a fix for 3-4 years at the most. If they have young bigs they feel will develop, why not bring in a Elson for 2-3 years.

I love how he mixes it up with other bigs.

ggoose25
07-04-2006, 04:22 PM
what about malik? when is he a free agent :)

Please_dont_ban_me
07-04-2006, 04:23 PM

Whenever the deal we absent-mindedly gave him expires, I suppose.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-04-2006, 04:23 PM
At this point I don't see Horry as a big-shot hitter who will be clutch come playoff time.

He is a guy who can rebound, can pass, can spread the floor...which is more than anything we seem to be getting in the FA market. Just let him start, and bring along Oberto/Javkotas.

I don't see any option better than that.

Horry is at his best playing 15 minutes a night, coming off the bench, and being around in the end in the fourth when you need a dagger three.

Expecting him to start a season and log significant minutes at the PF spot is fucking stupid.

It's not like Horry was huge last year but we still almost won. Just let him do his thing, don't rely on him bailing you out.

Go check out how many minutes Rob played the last 2-3 games of the Dallas series and get back to me.

Btw

You make it sound like Horry was terrible with the Lakers starting at 4. I guess we saw different postseasons.

I guess so. He played 34 minutes a game that year, and when it mattered against us in the post-season he was too gased to hit his shots or play effective defense on Duncan.

You're advocating us running with Horry, and ending up with a ragged, tired 485 year old PF trying to chase Dirk and Howard come playoff time.

Not exactly my idea of a good off-season this summer.

Kori Ellis
07-04-2006, 04:24 PM
The Spurs aren't playing to give Horry big minutes, so don't stress yourself AHF.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-04-2006, 04:24 PM

Pop damnit, let it go. Rose sucks. And he's getting old.

greens
07-04-2006, 04:25 PM

2 million, 8 million, etc...is a HUGE amount for any regular working class individual. Of course I WOULD not turn it down, if it were ME...but I'm not a millionaire, I'm not swimming in money like Ben Wallace is...What seems like a huge amount to us is not a huge amount to superstar NBA players, professional athletes, etc who gets millions of dollars every single year. For him to get only about 2 million less each year (from Pistons) is not going to effect his life style at all...It's not like he won't be able to afford his house or his million dollar cars...

I really think it's greed...it's wanting more money than you really need...Plus Rasheed, Chauncey, Ben, etc have always talked about how they are a family unit, how they love each other a lot, etc...how they are a real team...IF that were really true, then why would Ben not agree to stay with the Pistons, who have given him so much over the years, and just forget about the 2 million per year he won't be getting...Why not take a TINY (again for Ben that is) paycut to help his TEAM and his TEAMMATES...Don't get me wrong, I have a ton of respect for Ben and the Pistons, they are one of my favorite teams behind the Spurs...But it seems that Ben refused to accept smaller payment (only 2 mil less a year...when you have 40/50 million, really what is 2 million to you? (millionaires, that is...not us, regular working class people who get a couple of thousands for the entire year)

That's is what the other poster was trying to say about Bruce who was willing to take a paycut for HIS TEAM, his teammates, not ONCE but TWICE...Ben is the Defensive Player of the Year, BUT BRUCE was the lead vote getter for the ALL Defensive Team this year...and many think of Bruce as the Defensive Specialist, and yet look at how much he gets paid and does not mind at all....This upcoming season, he'll get 3,750,000...And how much would Ben get this upcoming season?

The other poster was just trying to show that there are players who are willing to take paycuts/etc to help their team and actually think of others instead of themselves...In this buisness of money, it's rare...Most NBA players want more and more money than they can handle...While others realize that what they get is more than enough and are happy with what they have...Bruce is well liked by his team and organization, because he is always willing to compromise...

Anyway, I'm not disrespecting Ben at all...because most people in his position would take MORE money...It's human nature to want more and more...But the way that all his teammates have been talking, about how there is no doubt about Ben staying with the Pistons...I think he might have disappointed his Pistons team members just a little bit...

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-04-2006, 04:26 PM
The Spurs aren't playing to give Horry big minutes, so don't stress yourself AHF.

Then what's the plan? Crossing our fingers and hoping Bonner can do it? Javtokas and Oberto are foul prone, what happens when they get tagged for 12 fouls the first ten minutes they guard Dirk next year? Finley and Bowen splitting time at PF again?

ChumpDumper
07-04-2006, 04:27 PM
Anyway, I'm not disrespecting Ben at all...because most people in his position would take MORE money...It's human nature to want more and more...But the way that all his teammates have been talking, about how there is no doubt about Ben staying with the Pistons...I think he might have disappointed his Pistons team members just a little bit...Most of them would've done the same thing.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-04-2006, 04:28 PM
I think the truth of hte matter on Wallace is he did what a lot of other guys on the team right now would like to do with Flip in charge - get the hell out.

Kori Ellis
Then what's the plan? Crossing our fingers and hoping Bonner can do it? Javtokas and Oberto are foul prone, what happens when they get tagged for 12 fouls the first ten minutes they guard Dirk next year? Finley and Bowen splitting time at PF again?

:lmao @ AHF panicking on July 4th.

jcrod

I wouldn't call that a lot of other bigs.

furry_spurry
07-04-2006, 04:29 PM
They played him too much during the regular season last year and that was with Rasho and Nazr here.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-04-2006, 04:30 PM
:lmao @ AHF panicking on July 4th.

:lol Well what else is left? Evans? Pollard? Tsakalidis? HITA? :vomit:

Right now best I can tell we're operating under the guise of being cheap instead of working to make sure this team gets back to the Finals next year.

If you lived in Dallas, you'd understand how much the weeks following our series sucked.

Kori Ellis
I wouldn't call that a lot of other bigs.

Did you read the whole thread or just the first post?

ChumpDumper
http://www.beefyness.com/images/ohnoescat.jpg

MaNu4Tres
07-04-2006, 04:31 PM
that list of bigs are all washed up besides maybe reggie evans.....hopefully if pryzbilla really stays in portland we can find a way to lure jamal magloire here without gettin rid of finley manu tony or tim

Please_dont_ban_me
Horry is at his best playing 15 minutes a night, coming off the bench, and being around in the end in the fourth when you need a dagger three.

Expecting him to start a season and log significant minutes at the PF spot is fucking stupid.

Fucking stupid?

It's our best available option if we dont have a big. If starting Horry is fucking stupid, then starting Javkotas/Oberto is VERY fucking stupid.

Go check out how many minutes Rob played the last 2-3 games of the Dallas series and get back to me.

Go and check how many minutes Oberto played. Who else do we have to start other than Horry? Oberto? Javkotas? Give me a break

I guess so. He played 34 minutes a game that year, and when it mattered against us in the post-season he was too gased to hit his shots or play effective defense on Duncan.

Hmm, so why do you suppose we brought him over? What do you suppose Pop/Tim meant when they claimed Horry came over because of how well he played against the Spurs...especially how well he played defense?

It can't be that he was a stiff against us.

You're advocating us running with Horry, and ending up with a ragged, tired 485 year old PF trying to chase Dirk and Howard come playoff time.

Not exactly my idea of a good off-season this summer.

Not my ideal choice, but it's better than the alternative.

jcrod
Did you read the whole thread or just the first post?

:lol First post, why is there more? :lol

MaNu4Tres
^^ or bruce

Kori Ellis
07-04-2006, 04:32 PM
They played him too much during the regular season last year and that was with Rasho and Nazr here.

He only played 18mpg last year.

Kori Ellis
07-04-2006, 04:32 PM
:lol First post, why is there more? :lol

Yeah there's at least triple the amount in the first post.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-04-2006, 04:33 PM
Who would you rather see in the starting lineup...Oberto, Javkotas...or Horry?

ChumpDumper
07-04-2006, 04:33 PM
Javtokas.

Kori Ellis
07-04-2006, 04:34 PM
Javtokas but I think they'll be another big here to choose from.

greens
07-04-2006, 04:35 PM
I think the truth of hte matter on Wallace is he did what a lot of other guys on the team right now would like to do with Flip in charge - get the hell out.

I still think it's because of the money...There are rumours of problems between Wallace and Flip, but nothing that is substantial...Plus there are a bunch of articles stating that Ben was not happy with the offer of the Pistons, period...nothing to do with the coach...He wanted a longer contract, more money, etc...If the Pistons gave him exactly what the Bulls had offered, then I think he would have stayed just fine...

Anyway, then again, who knows...

furry_spurry
He only played 18mpg last year.
18.8-- the most he has played as a Spur.

The first season he was here he played less than 16 minutes per game.

waly.mg
Bonner starts in Toronto as C

We can work now with TP-MG-BB-TD-Bonner

timvp
Javtokas but I think they'll be another big here to choose from.

Pop is kind of tall maybe he'll double duty and be the fifth big as well.

:elephant

Please_dont_ban_me
I'm assuming there isn't a big. If we stay status quo, who would you rather have start.

You would throw Javkotas into the fire? Why not start with Horry and bring Javkotas along. If he plays out of his mind, stick him in the starting lineup. What does that hurt?

Mr. Body
To be honest I can't see any bigs left better than Javtokas. Only from an NBA experience level would a Lorenzon Wright start over him at this point in his career.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-04-2006, 04:36 PM
:elephant

furry_spurry
It's gonna' be Oberto-- wait and see.

Please_dont_ban_me
It's gonna' be Oberto-- wait and see.

God help us all.

jcrod
07-04-2006, 04:38 PM
Yeah there's at least triple the amount in the first post.

Ok, I look at three pages, still nothing worth starting. The one's worth going after you need to trade for, now that Nazr is gone who do we have worth trading. Barry? If we trade Barry for big, we deplete our backout. And his contract is so little that we would need to use most of our MLE.

Oh well.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-04-2006, 04:39 PM

None of the above. That's what this summer was supposed to address.

I still think it's because of the money...There are rumours of problems between Wallace and Flip, but nothing that is substantial...Plus there are a bunch of articles stating that Ben was not happy with the offer of the Pistons, period...nothing to do with the coach...He wanted a longer contract, more money, etc...If the Pistons gave him exactly what the Bulls had offered, then I think he would have stayed just fine...

Anyway, then again, who knows...

It's much easier for the Detroit press to call Ben a greedy fucker on his way out of town than admit their team has internal issues and a dumbass coach.

waly.mg
07-04-2006, 04:40 PM
We can start with Oberto, and Horry, Bonner and Javtokas from the Bench

kris
07-04-2006, 04:41 PM
I think the straw was when they pulled the final offer card.

ChumpDumper
07-04-2006, 04:41 PM
You would throw Javkotas into the fire?Absolutely.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-04-2006, 04:42 PM
None of the above. That's what this summer was supposed to address.

Unfortunately, it hasn't.

So assuming we still don't add anybody...you have to stick someby in. I would go with Horry.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-04-2006, 04:50 PM
If we're going to stick someone in, stick Javtokas in.

Save Horry on the off chance you need him in the post-season to help save the day, instead of burning him out by December and having nothing left for the playoffs.

judaspriestess
07-04-2006, 04:51 PM
I guess this opens the door for Malik to come back :lmao

Beer is Good
07-04-2006, 05:01 PM
We don't need no stinkin' centers!

Please_dont_ban_me
07-04-2006, 05:13 PM
If we're going to stick someone in, stick Javtokas in.

Save Horry on the off chance you need him in the post-season to help save the day, instead of burning him out by December and having nothing left for the playoffs.

I don't know.

The more I think about it the better it sounds, I'm just uncomfortable sticking a rookie into that spot. With TP we had AD, with Manu we had...who was it? Somebody. With Javkotas I guess our fallback is Horry.

Go for it. :elephant

Pistons < Spurs
07-04-2006, 05:20 PM
Nazr FUCKING Mohammed :madrun :madrun :madrun

Are you kidding me? This is the news I come home to today? Good lord help us!

LMAO! I'm actually more upset that we signed Nazr than I was last night when we lost Ben.

I thought for sure we were going to get Pryz. :madrun

I would have rathered played the guys we have. Get them all in the rotation. Sheed, Dice, Davis and Maxiell. Amir Johnson could have played some PF for us depending on matchups aswell. We would have been fine for one year with those guys. More ... and better ... options would have been available to us next year.

Nazr may be the only big in the L that has worse hands than Ben. And can he actually play more than 25-30 minutes without fouling out?

He may start, but we will still have to play guys like Dice and Davis. This makes little sense to me.

Jeeeeez. What a bad move. I would have prefered Rasho.

I really thought we were going to transition to more of a smaller, up tempo game plan. But this signing leads me to believe we are simply going to replace Bne with Nazr. And you don't need to be Nostradamus to realize that that is not going to work.

Well, welcome to Detroit Nazr. Hopefully you can bring 12 and 9 like you did in Atlanta in 2000.

timvp
07-04-2006, 05:23 PM

LMAO! I'm actually more upset that we signed Nazr than I was last night when we lost Ben.

Yeah, that's gotta suck.

Although I'm trying to figure out if Nazr > Nothing or if Nothing > Nazr in regards to the Spurs.

Hrmmmmm...

SPARKY
07-04-2006, 05:23 PM

I thought for sure we were going to get Pryz. :madrun

I would have rathered played the guys we have. Get them all in the rotation. Sheed, Dice, Davis and Maxiell. Amir Johnson could have played some PF for us depending on matchups aswell. We would have been fine for one year with those guys. More ... and better ... options would have been available to us next year.

Nazr may be the only big in the L that has worse hands than Ben. And can he actually play more than 25-30 minutes without fouling out?

He may start, but we will still have to play guys like Dice and Davis. This makes little sense to me.

Jeeeeez. What a bad move. I would have prefered Rasho.

I really thought we were going to transition to more of a smaller, up tempo game plan. But this signing leads me to believe we are simply going to replace Bne with Nazr. And you don't need to be Nostradamus to realize that that is not going to work.

Well, welcome to Detroit Nazr. Hopefully you can bring 12 and 9 like you did in Atlanta in 2000.

Don't be so down. There'll be that 5 second stretch in the season when he looks like a young DRob.

Pistons < Spurs
07-04-2006, 05:29 PM
Don't be so down. There'll be that 5 second stretch in the season when he looks like a young DRob.

I know I know. We'll see the occasional 20-25 point game from him and everyone will be clammering for him to get 20 shots a game. :rolleyes

SPARKY
07-04-2006, 05:31 PM
I know I know. We'll see the occasional 20-25 point game from him and everyone will be clammering for him to get 20 shots a game. :rolleyes

30/16 against the Suns this year. Just wait.

Pistons < Spurs
07-04-2006, 05:54 PM
30/16 against the Suns this year. Just wait.

Great ... I can't wait! :rolleyes

:lol

Kori Ellis
07-04-2006, 06:42 PM
Just because it hasn't been posted yet ...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA070406.spursnazr.en.265c9d48.html

UPDATED: Nazr Mohammed goes to Detroit

Web Posted: 07/04/2006 05:06 PM CDT
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich likes to joke that Tim Duncan hates being called a center. Next season, Duncan might not have much choice.

Nazr Mohammed, who started at center during the Spurs’ 2005 championship run, left the team Tuesday after agreeing to a four-year, $25 million contract with Detroit.

Mohammed’s decision came shortly after Joel Przybilla turned down an offer from the Pistons to return to Portland for a five-year, $32 million deal.

The Spurs also had talked to Przybilla but weren’t willing to offer him more than four years. Team officials also were willing to let Mohammed go instead of risk overpaying someone who played sparingly in last season’s playoffs.

Excluding Alonzo Mourning, who is expected to retire or re-sign with Miami, Utah’s Jarron Collins is probably the best center left on the market.

Though the Spurs still have their $5 million exception to spend, team officials have said they aren’t adverse to beginning the season with Duncan, Fabricio Oberto and Lithuanian Robertas Javtokas manning the center position as a committee.

timvp
07-04-2006, 06:43 PM
Though the Spurs still have their $5 million exception to spend, team officials have said they aren’t adverse to beginning the season with Duncan, Fabricio Oberto and Lithuanian Robertas Javtokas manning the center position as a committee.

Sweet!

Holt can save $5M. This has all the makings of a great summer.

Pistons < Spurs
07-04-2006, 06:44 PM
The Spurs also had talked to Przybilla but weren’t willing to offer him more than four years. Team officials also were willing to let Mohammed go instead of risk overpaying someone who played sparingly in last season’s playoffs.

I wish Joe D was that smart today.
:madrun

Kori Ellis
07-04-2006, 06:44 PM
Excluding Alonzo Mourning, who is expected to retire or re-sign with Miami, Utah’s Jarron Collins is probably the best center left on the market.

I think there's probably a couple guys ahead of Jarron Collins :lmao

timvp
07-04-2006, 06:45 PM
The Collins twins are good low post defenders. Perhaps two of the top ten best in the league. The other Collins always has off the charts +/- numbers but this Collins isn't as good.

At this point Sean Marks might be the best free agent center.

:pctoss

timvp
07-04-2006, 06:50 PM
Hey wait a second. Jarron Collins had the second best +/- numbers on the Jazz next to AK and had far and away the best defensive numbers.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...

:drunk:pctoss:drunk

himat
07-04-2006, 07:14 PM
Back to the Teal Era Piston fans :shootme

easjer
07-04-2006, 07:18 PM
OK, let me get this straight. For over a year I've watched people bitch and whine about Rasho and his huge contract, despite the fact that he was a servicable center, and frankly the only one left available in 2003 because of the glaring hole created by DRob's retirement. Time again, bitching and bitching about his contract weighing us down and how we needed a better center, without regard to the fact that a better center was not available.

And now there's a group of you who are so desperate to sign a center that you are willing to overpay a Rasho clone like Przybilla just to have someone? It's not about Holt being cheap.

The irony is delicious. And almost as funny as Detriot signing Nazr. I, for one, will not miss Butterfingers Mohammed.

Buddy Holly
07-04-2006, 07:18 PM
And now there's a group of you who are so desperate to sign a center that you are willing to overpay a Rasho clone like Przybilla just to have someone? It's not about Holt being cheap.

STOP!

Your common sense is not wanted here.

Pistons < Spurs
07-04-2006, 07:21 PM
And almost as funny as Detriot signing Nazr. I, for one, will not miss Butterfingers Mohammed.
:madrun :madrun

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-04-2006, 07:27 PM

Hooray for cheap ass fucking owners!!! :yield

Buddy Holly
07-04-2006, 07:29 PM
Hooray for cheap ass fucking owners!!! :yield

lol

Cheap owners?

So Pop can't speak up?

He's that scared of Holt?

:lol :lol :lol

Give me a fucking break.

Can't accept the talent in free agency is crap and the Spurs have learned from past mistakes.

Wait, that's too complex for you.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a freeway to build with Oprah while we listen to Nsyinc Boys but we have to get it done before Charles Oakley comes and steals my pictures.

Kori Ellis
07-04-2006, 07:29 PM

The irony is delicious. And almost as funny as Detriot signing Nazr. I, for one, will not miss Butterfingers Mohammed.

Why do you call him Rasho clone, because he's white?

He doesn't play anything like Rasho.

I see people say Rashoclone over and over. I guess they have never seen Przybilla. Rasho takes about 1/2 his shots from outside and only 6% of his shots are dunks. Przy takes about 80% of his shots from inside (27% of his overall shots are dunks). They are nothing the same on offense.

MannyIsGod
07-04-2006, 07:31 PM
What is our cap situation 4 years from now? There may be a reason that 5th year was a stickler.

T Park
07-04-2006, 07:31 PM
Sweet!

Holt can save $5M

I dont see anywhere where it said they would not spend the exception at all.

Jumpy much?

Kori Ellis
07-04-2006, 07:32 PM
What is our cap situation 4 years from now? There may be a reason that 5th year was a stickler.

After the 4th year, that's when Duncan and Ginobili's contracts are up. Tony's the only one under contract in that 5th year.

timvp
07-04-2006, 07:35 PM
After the 4th year, that's when Duncan and Ginobili's contracts are up. Tony's the only one under contract in that 5th year.

All the more the reason why the fifth year wouldn't have made much of a difference. The Spurs have shown the ability to get out of bad contracts if they need to. Plus by that time, the Spurs run will be over so having an extra $6M or so on the cap wouldn't have made a difference.

So now the Spurs are saving money for when Duncan and Manu are finished.

Fantastic.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-04-2006, 07:38 PM
Cheap owners?

So Pop can't speak up?

He's that scared of Holt?

Maybe one day when you have a job you will understand why what you suggest about Pop confronting Holt is so retarded. Maybe.

Can't accept the talent in free agency is crap and the Spurs have learned from past mistakes.

Wait, that's too complex for you.

It's obvious the Spurs haven't learned a fucking thing, considering that the Mavs beat them with the same defense that the Lakers used to use on them 5 years ago. But that's for another discussion.

We could have had Przybilla if we had offered the fifth year, but our management was too cheap to come up with 6 million dollars over the span of five years.

Sorry that's too complex for you, too bad this whole free agency thing is a little more complex than your legos.

easjer
07-04-2006, 07:39 PM
Why do you call him Rasho clone, because he's white?

He doesn't play anything like Rasho.

I see people say Rashoclone over and over. I guess they have never seen Przybilla. Rasho takes about 1/2 his shots from outside and only 6% of his shots are dunks. Przy takes about 80% of his shots from inside (27% of his overall shots are dunks). They are nothing the same on offense.

No I don't call him a Rasho clone because he's white, and was referring more to the situation than playing style. You are right, their playing styles are so different that it is a misleading term.

Buddy Holly
07-04-2006, 07:47 PM
Maybe one day when you have a job you will understand why what you suggest about Pop confronting Holt is so retarded. Maybe.

He did pretty well when Parker was up for a new contract.

It's obvious the Spurs haven't learned a fucking thing, considering that the Mavs beat them with the same defense that the Lakers used to use on them 5 years ago. But that's for another discussion.

They beat us because Pop fucking choked at his job and because Manu made a shitty play.

If he doesn't foul we're in round 3.

We could have had Przybilla if we had offered the fifth year, but our management was too cheap to come up with 6 million dollars over the span of five years.

Five years for a kid who for the first 3 or 4 years of his career had more fouls than points???

That's what you Mandy, want for five seasons?

Fuck you are retarded.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-04-2006, 08:08 PM
Five years for a kid who for the first 3 or 4 years of his career had more fouls than points???

That's what you Mandy, want for five seasons?

Fuck you are retarded.

You could have said the same about Stephen Jackson (without the five years part), he turned out alright.

Retarded? Gimme a break. I've taken dumps that had more substance than what you've contributed in this discussion.

FreshPrince22
07-04-2006, 08:11 PM

No I don't call him a Rasho clone because he's white, and was referring more to the situation than playing style. You are right, their playing styles are so different that it is a misleading term.

Way to back your way out of that one :lol

MannyIsGod
07-04-2006, 08:11 PM
After the 4th year, that's when Duncan and Ginobili's contracts are up. Tony's the only one under contract in that 5th year.Thats exactly what I thought. I think it was pretty damn smart of them not to offer Joel that extra year then. Especially if they have high hopes for Mahimi and that will be about the time they'll be looking to lock him up after his rookie deal.

I'm not upset in the least about anything thats happened so far.

I however will be annoyed if the Spurs don't use the MLE, but I'll wait for that to happen before I join the meltdown.

ShoogarBear
07-04-2006, 08:12 PM
I see people say Rashoclone over and over. I guess they have never seen Przybilla. Rasho takes about 1/2 his shots from outside and only 6% of his shots are dunks. Przy takes about 80% of his shots from inside (27% of his overall shots are dunks). They are nothing the same on offense.Thank you.

I have been advocating Przy for some time, precisely because he plays much bigger than Rasho. And he's better defensively now than Rasho was with the Wolves, so no reason why he can't be at least as effective as Rasho turned out to be.

Am I the only one who thinks Nazr might turn out with decent numbers under Flip? He'll get minutes, he'll get offensive rebounds, and his 10-15 foot jumper isn't bad, so I can imagine him getting him more shots in the offense. Plus, I doubt that Flip will care as much about defense.

But the Pistons did have the biggest blocked-shots-differential in the league last year. That will change considerably now. :)

I sincerely hope the Spurs are blowing smoke about starting the season with Duncan, Oberto, and Javtokas. You can kiss any hope even making it to the WCF goodbye with that.

Buddy Holly
07-04-2006, 08:14 PM
Fuck these Spurs for thinking long term!

Fuck them, fuck them hard!

Pistons < Spurs
07-04-2006, 08:22 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Nazr might turn out with decent numbers under Flip? He'll get minutes, he'll get offensive rebounds, and his 10-15 foot jumper isn't bad, so I can imagine him getting him more shots in the offense.

I actually agree that he probably will be OK from an offensive standpoint. I do think you'll see an improvement in his numbers. It's just that we've relied so much upon our starting 5 for our defense.

His stats may look respectable, but he won't be able to offer what we had, so people will be down on him all year.

It will be an interesting year!

spurschick
07-04-2006, 08:23 PM
I sincerely hope the Spurs are blowing smoke about starting the season with Duncan, Oberto, and Javtokas.

What interview or press conference did I miss?! I haven't seen or heard the Spurs say shit about anything that's gone on in the past few days. R.C. and Sam Presti were hanging out at the FIBA tournament and R.C. spent a good amount of time on the phone. So many are assuming that the Spurs FO are sitting around with their thumbs up their asses or moping and crying because the guys that we knew about have committed elsewhere. Opening night is still 4 months away.

MannyIsGod
07-04-2006, 08:23 PM
Nazr sucks so bad I didn't want him back regardless of who we get. I'd rather start Javaktovas and take my motherfucking chances.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-04-2006, 08:25 PM
The vets on that team will eat up Nazr if he's slow on rotation and starts fumbling potential dunks.

MannyIsGod
07-04-2006, 08:26 PM
Seriously, what the fuck is the difference if the Spurs do start the year with a center rotation of Javaktovas/Oberto/Duncan? It isn't like we got shit from our centers before, why would we nessecarily expect shit from them now? Bonner is a good bench big man from what I've heard said, and we still have Horry off the bench as well. So we basically need Oberto and Javaktovas to fill the role that Nazr and Rasho did last year which I don't see as a very difficult role to fill.

If we have to start Bonner at the 4 or Javaktovas at the 4/5 it isn't ideal but don't sit there and try to tell me that the Spurs have fucked up by going this route. If they go out and get a 3, then I definetly do not mind having that as our big man rotation.

David Robinson was not a free agent in this year's pool that could be had for the MLE.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-04-2006, 08:30 PM
I would rather start Bonner.

Don't confuse not getting anything in the Mavs series with not getting anything in general from our centers. At times Nazr/Rasho were referred to as a two headed monster. They really gave us flexibility against other teams bigs.

ShoogarBear
07-04-2006, 08:30 PM
What interview or press conference did I miss?! I haven't seen or heard the Spurs say shit about anything that's gone on in the past few days. R.C. and Sam Presti were hanging out at the FIBA tournament and R.C. spent a good amount of time on the phone. So many are assuming that the Spurs FO are sitting around with their thumbs up their asses or moping and crying because the guys that we knew about have committed elsewhere. Opening night is still 4 months away.Why don't you take it up with Johnny Ludden, then. It's a direct quote from his article: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA070406.3E.nazr.1bd118e.html

Like I said, I hope it's not what they really mean.

jochhejaam
07-04-2006, 08:32 PM
We left home today thinking we may sign Pryz and come home to Nazr. My sons were upset but I'm trying to look at the signing in the best possible light.

He had a couple of monster games this year;
18/20 @ Phi in 36 minutes
30/16 against Pho in 35 minutes

And a couple of very good games
15/14 against GS in 32 minutes
17/12 against Denver in 30 minutes

He has the potential for big games so why are they so infrequent?
He doesn't get the minutes, only 17 a game and his turnovers aren't bad at just a little over 1 a game which doesn't seem to bad but I rarely get to see him play so stats don't always tell the story. He does seem to be foul prone with 2.8 in limited playing time so that's not good.
Is he lazy? Does he have motivation problems? Did it bother him to come off the bench behind Rasho?

ShoogarBear
07-04-2006, 08:32 PM
His stats may look respectable, but he won't be able to offer what we had, so people will be down on him all year.But his free-throw shooting will look mahvelous.

spurschick
07-04-2006, 08:34 PM
Why don't you take it up with Johnny Ludden, then. It's a direct quote from his article: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA070406.3E.nazr.1bd118e.html
Like I said, I hope it's not what they really mean.

I put more stock in a direct quote from R.C. than I would from Ludden.

clubalien
07-04-2006, 08:38 PM
can somone please answer why kmart was in town?

it is not like we attract all these nba ballas all the time to our town

ShoogarBear
07-04-2006, 08:38 PM
He doesn't get the minutes, only 17 a game and his turnovers aren't bad at just a little over 1 a game which doesn't seem to bad but I rarely get to see him play so stats don't always tell the story. He does seem to be foul prone with 2.8 in limited playing time so that's not good.
Is he lazy? Does he have motivation problems? Did it bother him to come off the bench behind Rasho?I don't care what the numbers say, he has horrible hands, both catching simple passes and fumbling rebounds. He also isn't a great leaper or athlete and spends way too much time gathering himself and pump-faking (unsuccesfully) under the basket. He was also out of position a lot, on offense and especially on defense.

The effort is there, he has a good nose for the offensive boards and has a reasonable 10-15 foot jumper. He should have better numbers given consistent minutes and a set role in the offense. Also, I doubt Flip will yank him for defensive faux-pas the way Pop did. But OMG, Detroit is going to miss Ben.

ShoogarBear
07-04-2006, 08:39 PM
I put more stock in a direct quote from R.C. than I would from Ludden.So would I. But I have to assume Ludden didn't just make that up because he felt like it.

spurschick
07-04-2006, 08:40 PM
So would I. But I have to assume Ludden didn't just make that up because he felt like it.

He was sitting and talking with R.C. at the FIBA tourney on Friday for a little while.

jochhejaam
07-04-2006, 08:44 PM
I don't care what the numbers say, he has horrible hands, both catching simple passes and fumbling rebounds. He also isn't a great leaper or athlete and spends way too much time gathering himself and pump-faking (unsuccesfully) under the basket. He was also out of position a lot, on offense and especially on defense.

The effort is there, he has a good nose for the offensive boards and has a reasonable 10-15 foot jumper. He should have better numbers given consistent minutes and a set role in the offense. Also, I doubt Flip will yank him for defensive faux-pas the way Pop did. But OMG, Detroit is going to miss Ben.
Thanks SBear. I was looking for some insight from Spurs fans on him and that's helpful.

Kori Ellis
07-04-2006, 08:45 PM
Is he lazy? Does he have motivation problems? Did it bother him to come off the bench behind Rasho?

He is a decent rebounder. He can score garbage points around the rim and will throw in an awesome game every few months.

But he has really, really, really bad hands. Manu and Tony would toss him passes a 3-year-old could catch and he'd bobble them out of bounds. Spurs fans thought Malik had stone hands (with his bad thumbs) and Nazr surpassed Malik by a long shot. It's crazy how bad his hands are.

That's not really the thing that is the most frustrating though. He doesn't understand the basics. For example, Tony or Manu would be scoring at will driving down the lane and then Nazr would come in and stand exactly where they need to go to get to the rim. Tony and Manu would be wildly waving him out of their way and he wouldn't move. Or Tim would get on the block and Nazr would be in his space. Then on defense, the same thing ... he missed rotation after rotation and he'd always, always be in the wrong place.

Spurs tried to bring him along slowly but you could see the coaches and players heads almost exploding with frustration.

I don't know what to conclude other than his basketball IQ must be sub-moron.

JamStone
07-04-2006, 08:47 PM
I'm not happy with the Nazr signing, but for one-third the price of Ben Wallace, I wouldn't expect to be. While Nazr will not provide the defensive rebounding, blocked-shots, steals, and overall defensive presence that Ben Wallace brought, I don't think Nazr will be horrible. Well, at least I hope he's not horrible.

Ben fumbled a lot of passes himself. And, he was generally good for at least one missed wide open dunk a game. Nazr will bring a tad more offense and Pistons fans won't shriek in horror when he's at the free throw line. If he can just provide about 30 serviceable minutes a game and get anywhere from 7-8 rebound per game in those 30 minutes, I think Pistons fans won't be too disappointed.

The Pistons don't have the offensive talent that the Spurs' starting line-up has, but they're by no mean bums. Nazr will be asked once again to complement, not be asked to be counted on as a primary guy at either end of the floor.

Hopefully, his summer workout buddy, Tayshaun, can really spark a fire in him and motivate him to play up to his potential.

FreshPrince22
07-04-2006, 08:48 PM
He is a decent rebounder. He can score garbage points around the rim and will throw in an awesome game every few months.

But he has really, really, really bad hands. Manu and Tony would toss him passes a 3-year-old could catch and he'd bobble them out of bounds. Spurs fans thought Malik had stone hands (with his bad thumbs) and Nazr surpassed Malik by a long shot. It's crazy how bad his hands are.

That's not really the thing that is the most frustrating though. He doesn't understand the basics. For example, Tony or Manu would be scoring at will driving down the lane and then Nazr would come in and stand exactly where they need to go to get to the rim. Tony and Manu would be wildly waving him out of their way and he wouldn't move. Or Tim would get on the block and Nazr would be in his space. Then on defense, the same thing ... he missed rotation after rotation and he'd always, always be in the wrong place.

Spurs tried to bring him along slowly but you could see the coaches and players heads almost exploding with frustration.

Sounds like we got a winner :spin

:depressed

ShoogarBear
07-04-2006, 08:51 PM
Man, I'm already griinning thinking about Piston Fan posts on Nazr next year . . .

Kori Ellis
07-04-2006, 08:52 PM
Sounds like we got a winner :spin

:depressed

Sorry.

I dislike Nazr more than most Spurs fans do though.

Maybe someone else can tell you more about his upside :)

himat
07-04-2006, 08:54 PM
Do you think he has worse hands than Ben Wallace offensively? If Nazr can give us 1 block, 7-8 boards, 10 points, and work hard it will make the best out of a very bad situation.

ShoogarBear
07-04-2006, 08:54 PM
I think Nazr will do a lot better under Flip because Flip will nuture his offense and won't yank him for bad defense, so his minutes will be more consistent. Also, Nazr will be the only guy trying to play on the blocks now.

Buddy Holly
07-04-2006, 08:56 PM
Flip will nuture his offense

Because he did that with Ben Wallace?

himat
07-04-2006, 08:57 PM
Man, I'm already griinning thinking about Piston Fan posts on Nazr next year . . .

:depressed :vomit: . Maybe Joe D. sees something in him that we don't just like Ben, Cb, Rip, Tay, and Sheed :lol

jochhejaam
07-04-2006, 08:58 PM

Thanks for the insight Kori. Not a very good report card for Nazr. Hopefully the Piston's coaches can come up with a plan to maximize his strong points and minimize his weaknesses.
Although if Pop wasn't able to...<sigh>

Kori Ellis
I think Nazr will do a lot better under Flip because Flip will nuture his offense and won't yank him for bad defense, so his minutes will be more consistent.

I can agree with that.

Please_dont_ban_me
Nazr did have bad hands. He was constintently out of place.

But he was also our toughest defender. He was the one man'ing up against the Wallace brothers, he was the one banging with Kenyon Martin. He did more for this team than we really appreciate.

Pistons < Spurs
07-04-2006, 09:00 PM
I don't really know if he can get close to 30 minutes a game. Conditioning will be part of it ... in 8 NBA years, he's averaged 18.8 minutes. His highest output was probably in 2001 in which he received 26.4.

The other factor is foul trouble. Maybe you Spur fans can add to this, but in the games I've seen of him while in SA, he picks up fouls left and right as soon as he gets in the game.

As mentioned, his hands are like the rock of gibraltar ... and Piston fans thought Ben had bad hands :lol

Kori probably said best what I've noticed about him. He cannot ever figure out where in the hell he is supposed to be on the court. He defends his own players better than the opposition because of his ignorance.

But he is better than nothing. He can hit his FT's a whole heck of a lot better than Ben. And if can become somewhat of a consistent threat scoring the ball, perhaps that will open shit up for the other guys on the team. We don't need him to score 20 points a game ... but if other teams think he can go off for 15-20, they will have to defend him.

Bob Lanier
07-04-2006, 09:01 PM
Because he did that with Ben Wallace?
No kidding. If Flip doesn't see a player making jumpshots consistently, he will freeze that player out of the offense.

Which, in this case, could be a good thing - less Nazr means more Maxiell or Dice, or even DD.

MannyIsGod
Nazr did have bad hands. He was constintently out of place.

But he was also our toughest defender. He was the one man'ing up against the Wallace brothers, he was the one banging with Kenyon Martin. He did more for this team than we really appreciate.Man, no offense, but the more you post about basketball the more I wonder what you watch.

jochhejaam
:lol We'll definitely keep you in the know.

ShoogarBear
Because he did that with Ben Wallace?Um, look at Rasho's numbers under Flip.

Ben has no offesnive game to nuture.

MannyIsGod
07-04-2006, 09:02 PM
I wonder what Pistons fans will do when they look at Nazr and then look down at the bigman in Orlando.

Buddy Holly
07-04-2006, 09:02 PM
Um, look at Rasho's numbers under Flip.

Umm, pretty much the same as with SA except for his contract year.

Quadzilla99
07-04-2006, 09:04 PM
:lol We'll definitely keep you in the know.

Barring some new rule interpretation that permits applying Lester Hayes amounts of Stickum to Nazr's prone to ball dropping hands expect to be plenty frustrated for the next 5 or so years.