PDA

View Full Version : Since nobody else is left, should we go after Chris Wilcox?

Please_dont_ban_me
07-04-2006, 04:06 PM
He's a nice physical guy.

Looks like he isn't anywhere near a deal with the Sonics.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2508719

Kori Ellis
07-04-2006, 04:06 PM
He wants $64M.

Good luck.

TheTruth
07-04-2006, 04:08 PM
He wants $64M.

Good luck.
if he gets 64 million after 2 mths of decent play, I may just punch my parents for being slow and white/slow and brown.

Sense
He wants $64M.

Good luck.

heh... that just ends the thread don't it :)

Please_dont_ban_me
=/

Expensive fucker.

He'd be a nice fit though...he's kind of like Nazr without the stone-hands.

juncan
07-04-2006, 04:10 PM
I think Candyman is another choise.

RogerIsEatingASandwich
07-04-2006, 04:12 PM
The Candyman?!...........oh....no....

Please_dont_ban_me
07-04-2006, 04:14 PM
I think Candyman is another choise.

Take that back.

Spurs9
07-04-2006, 04:31 PM
64 million wtf?

kris
07-04-2006, 04:39 PM
Even if he was 40m, I don't really like Chris. He doesn't seem focused or like he tries hard all the time.

SenorSpur
07-04-2006, 04:52 PM
Face it. The Spurs have really "screwed the pooch" during the FA period. I've seen the list of bigs that are left and they're all mostly trash.

Kori Ellis
07-04-2006, 04:54 PM
Even if he was 40m, I don't really like Chris. He doesn't seem focused or like he tries hard all the time.

He's super lazy on D. I mean, how can a guy that athletic only average .4 blocks per game? He should get at least 1 by accident. And he has to be pushed into rebounding.

He's amazingly athletic and runs the floor/dunks incredibly though. If he was cheap, I'd love the Spurs to mold him. Unfortunately, he's convinced he deserves Dalembert-eque money.

strangeweather
07-04-2006, 05:24 PM
Unfortunately, he's convinced he deserves Dalembert-eque money.
I still don't know how Dalembert got Dalembert money.

SPARKY
07-04-2006, 05:33 PM
He'll be the poster boy for bad contracts in about a year.

smdanss
07-04-2006, 05:34 PM
Remember we got Rasho under the similar situation before.
Should we repeat and bundle up ourselves again?

ChumpDumper
07-04-2006, 05:35 PM
Wilcox is my candidate for most likely to take the qualifying offer.

Kori Ellis
07-04-2006, 05:36 PM
Wilcox is my candidate for most likely to take the qualifying offer.

Me too.

He and the Sonics are 20M apart and no further negotiations are scheduled. Unless someone like Atlanta comes and throws big money at him, he's likely to stay in Seattle for a year on the QO.

Obstructed_View
07-04-2006, 05:43 PM
I still don't know how Dalembert got Dalembert money.
You and me both. That's a legendary screwing. The dude should marry his agent.

bdictjames
07-04-2006, 08:25 PM
The Candyman? The 1st draft pick that was so upsetting? You gotta be kidding man

sonic
07-05-2006, 04:28 PM
Hey folks. Just stopped by out of curiousity to see what Spurs fans were thinking about big men in general and Chris Wilcox in particular and saw this thread. It seems unlikely that something would go down between our teams but just to help me get a better read on his value would you green light or pass on a sign & trade for Wilcox to Spurs at 8-10 million a year for roleplayers (outside your top 3) for salary match (going to us or involved in a bigger trade with other teams) and 1st round draft pick? From previous discussion it sounds like pass but I wanted to ask at this specific cost. Thanks.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-05-2006, 04:37 PM
^ Not for that much. Now if it's maybe 5-6 mill? I bet the Spurs front office would consider it.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-05-2006, 04:41 PM
*waits for some cap expert to come prove me wrong*

sonic
07-05-2006, 05:01 PM
Wilcox probably headed to a bad team (this summer or next) that needs him more and is more willing to pay his price than you or us- like Atlanta or Charlotte.

Since I am here, maybe I'll ask a couple other questions if you dont mind too much:

1. Would you be willing to take Fortson and a sweetner for role players you dont want?
2. Would be consider Wilkins an attractive sweetner or run of the mill?
3. Would you want Ridnour as a backup point? Fortson/Ridnour for Barry or Williams (your choice) and Udrih?

MaNu4Tres
07-05-2006, 05:05 PM
Sonics wouldn't get rid of ridnour for barry and udrih

MaNu4Tres
07-05-2006, 05:06 PM
But as a spurs fan, I would definatly trade barry/williams/ udrih for ridnour and fortson

SenorSpur
07-05-2006, 05:10 PM
If the Spurs wouldn't pay Pryzbilla their mid-level exception for 4 years, why the hell would they go after Wilcox who reportedly wants 64mil?

MaNu4Tres
07-05-2006, 05:12 PM
They wouldn't. It's stupid talk

sonic
07-05-2006, 05:13 PM
Moving Fortson and Ridnour who will want a pretty big contract next summer for Barry (better than Fortson to us) and Udrih (might be cheaper and fill combo guard role here pretty well) is a trade I'd make because I like Udrih, I still like Barry and I dont especially have a strong attachment to Ridnour with Watson's arrival. But this is just one fan's opinion not projecting on the front office or a majority of Sonic fans.

MaNu4Tres
07-05-2006, 05:14 PM
I'd trade parker for ridnour and lewis and a pick...

oops did i just say that?

sonic
07-05-2006, 05:16 PM
Ok I hear one opinion. Just asking to hear a different point of view on our potential trade assets.

sonic
07-05-2006, 05:21 PM
Ridnour/Lewis for Parker and a future 1st rounder from you to us and perhaps some further modest adjustment if necessary- yes. 3 for 1 wouldnt fly.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-05-2006, 05:22 PM
Wilcox probably headed to a bad team (this summer or next) that needs him more and is more willing to pay his price than you or us- like Atlanta or Charlotte.

Since I am here, maybe I'll ask a couple other questions if you dont mind too much:

1. Would you be willing to take Fortson and a sweetner for role players you dont want?
2. Would be consider Wilkins an attractive sweetner or run of the mill?
3. Would you want Ridnour as a backup point? Fortson/Ridnour for Barry or Williams (your choice) and Udrih?

I wouldn't want Fortson. The guy's an overweight cheap shot artist.

I would take Ridnour off your hands though...but he does remind me a little of Beno. We'd basically be getting rid of Beno, to get another Beno.

Wilkins, on the other hand. I love his game, he stepped in for that team at times and really played some big minutes. He's athletic, he can get out on the perimeter and D up.

But I don't know if I'd give up Barry for him. Barry isn't that bad, we're not going to just hand him away. I doubt Seattle would be interested in bringing him back anyways.

I'd trade Udrih for Wilkins straight up. :elephant Then go and sign Pargo.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-05-2006, 05:24 PM
I'd trade parker for ridnour and lewis and a pick...

oops did i just say that?

Now that is stupid talk.

ChumpDumper
07-05-2006, 05:25 PM
Hey sonic, what would it take to get Noel Felix from you guys?

sonic
07-05-2006, 05:29 PM
Wilkins' average defense isnt that good but I wondered if you might see him as a future Bowen role player with a scorer's mentality instead of an outside shot.

Salaries dont match for 1-1 now, but sign and trade Udrih for Wilkins next summer? Might be interesting.

sonic
07-05-2006, 05:36 PM
Hard to say if they envision a bigger role for Felix next season. I wanted to see him play more late in the season to get a gauge on him but they didnt roll him out there. Probably mainly insurance as this point against losing Wilcox, or Collison next year. I think they'd move him in a package if that PF situation was seen as under control and it accomplished something- moving Fortson or getting a veteran big or a shooter. I dont think they would take just a second rounder. Future first I dont think anyone would offer. Felix and Mikki Moore for Udrih or a future first?

Please_dont_ban_me
07-05-2006, 05:37 PM
Wilkins' average defense isnt that good but I wondered if you might see him as a future Bowen role player with a scorer's mentality instead of an outside shot.

Salaries dont match for 1-1 now, but sign and trade Udrih for Wilkins next summer? Might be interesting.

We don't need another scorer, honestly.

Bowens role is perfect....play great D and stay in one corner on offense.

sonic
07-05-2006, 05:41 PM
Yeah. You probably dont deal with replacing Bowen til summer 2008 and him being pretty timeless he might still be good to do what he does another year or two after that of course in more limited minutes.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-05-2006, 05:43 PM
I don't know if the Spurs are interested in resigning Bowen...unless it's cheap.

If it's cheap, keep him aroudn on the bench as a mentor and occasional contributor like a Lindsay Hunter. Hopefully Jeffries is here and our starter by then.

sonic
07-05-2006, 05:48 PM
I'll check back later. Thanks for these and any future responses.

Kori Ellis
07-06-2006, 04:49 AM
Wilcox talks becoming a drag
By Percy Allen

Seattle Times staff reporter

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sonics/2003107566_soni06.html

JEFF REINKING / NBAE/GETTY IMAGES

Because negotiations between the Sonics and restricted free agent Chris Wilcox stalled earlier this week, the sides are exploring sign-and-trade possibilities, the rhetoric is becoming terse and the likelihood that contract talks will end unfavorably for both sides grows stronger each day.

"The longer it drags on, we will come to the point of no return where Chris will not look back and will no longer want to be in Seattle," said Jeff Fried, the Washington, D.C.-based agent for Wilcox. "Since it appears that the Sonics are unwilling to give Chris his fair-market value, we're looking at other options."

According to one NBA source, as many as nine teams have contacted the Sonics about Wilcox, but general manager Rick Sund has declined to seriously entertain each offer.

Golden State is believed to be the latest team to inquire about Wilcox, but discussions with Seattle ended quickly because the Sonics are hoping to land an All-Star forward in return.

Sund and Fried exchanged initial contract proposals on Monday, and the meeting revealed just how far apart both sides are.

Many believed the Sonics would offer Wilcox the six-year, $42 million deal they extended Vladimir Radmanovic last year, but Seattle's offer was slightly lower because only a few teams have the salary-cap flexibility to aggressively pursue the 6-foot-10 power forward.

Most teams can use their mid-level exception and offer Wilcox a five-year, $31 million contract, but the Sonics can match those offers and retain his services.

Given their favorable position, the Sonics offered Wilcox considerably less than Denver's six-year, $60 million deal with Nene on Sunday, which seemed to set the market for power forwards.

Wilcox was hoping to land a deal comparable to Nene's because the Sonics forward averaged 14.1 points and 8.2 rebounds in 29 games with Seattle last season. Nene, who missed last season because of a knee injury, averaged 10.7 points and 6.2 rebounds in three seasons with the Nuggets. A possible breakthrough in the negotiations occurred Wednesday when Fried told the Sonics that he's open to accepting a three-year deal averaging less than $10 million per season.

The two sides continue to converse daily, but no face-to-face meetings are scheduled. Fried said he was optimistic. Sund didn't return messages to his office on Wednesday.

If the Sonics aren't agreeable to a short-term deal and sign-and-trade offers are refuted, then Wilcox's only option is signing the qualifying offer that will make him an unrestricted free agent next summer.

It's the same option the Sonics presented Radmanovic, Reggie Evans and Ronald Murray last year.

Each of them grudgingly took the one-year deal, which was partly to blame for Seattle's 35-47 record because they sulked during the season, never played to their potential and were dealt before the February trade deadline.

"Chris enjoyed Seattle immensely, really bonded with his teammates and we certainly thought they had the view that his value was part of building a playoff caliber team," Fried said. "Chris either wants to get a deal done in Seattle or move forward with the sign and trade.

"He doesn't want a long, drawn-out negotiation, and I would think that the last thing the Sonics would want is a disgruntled 24-year-old who doesn't want to be there."

Kori Ellis
07-06-2006, 04:49 AM
Looks like they are getting further apart.

Mr. Body
07-06-2006, 04:55 AM
Sonics were actually smart not to overpay marginal talent like Radmanovic, Flip Murray, and Evans, but this case may be different. It's tough to project players who produce suddenly large numbers late in a season... just ask Cuban about Marquis Daniels.

ChumpDumper
07-06-2006, 04:58 AM
The Sonics have learned nothing.

MaNu4Tres
07-06-2006, 05:02 AM
Wilcox won't get anything more than the whole midlevel from other teams, unless a sign and trade is involved. But i doubt anyone wants to commit 60 million because of just 29 games. Unfortunatly he's a restricted free agent for lets say the spurs sake. If I were the sonics i'd wait to match the offer thrown to him by other teams, which most likely would be the midlevel.

TDMVPDPOY
07-06-2006, 05:03 AM
his lookin towards gettin paid sumwhere around what boozer is on 9mill a season 45-52mill/5yrs

TDMVPDPOY
07-06-2006, 05:36 AM
contract year, i think nene wouldve posted similar numbers if he wasnt injured

TDMVPDPOY
07-06-2006, 05:38 AM
Most teams can use their mid-level exception and offer Wilcox a five-year, $31 million contract, but the Sonics can match those offers and retain his services.

say seatle matches, is he obligated to sign seatles offer, or can he just sign with other team....

sonic
07-06-2006, 02:49 PM
It goes: team presents player with offer sheet, player decides whether to sign it, then home team was option to match or the home team lets the time to match expire and the players goes to the offer sheet team. And a player can only sign one offer sheet and cant back out. That is my undestanding.

Prior to the offer sheet the parties can talk sign & trade and can get back to it "A signed offer sheet can be rescinded within the seven day waiting period if all three parties (the player and the two teams) agree."

more detail
http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#36

El_Mago
07-06-2006, 03:21 PM
Might as well get Melvin Ely.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-06-2006, 03:22 PM
http://www.tportal.hr/2005/02/16/0654007.19.jpg

You know you want it.