PDA

View Full Version : Rights to Javtokas

furry_spurry
07-04-2006, 10:02 PM
I was thinking today about the Scola situation and it gave me pause to wonder-- do the Spurs actually still hold the rights to Robertas Javtokas? Is there any sort of an exemption for a player who gets hurt and thus goes without a professional basketball contract for one year for that reason? We have all been assuming that only the Spurs can sign him, but is this actually correct?

ChumpDumper
07-04-2006, 10:03 PM
I think technically he was still under contract with a foreign team while he was injured.

Das Texan
07-04-2006, 10:07 PM
javtokas' rights are with the spurs.

some of you need to take a good crash course in the way the league works in terms of salary cap, draft rights, etc.

Kori Ellis
07-04-2006, 10:09 PM
I think technically he was still under contract with a foreign team while he was injured.

I believe that's correct.

furry_spurry
07-04-2006, 10:10 PM
I thought that possibly Robertas spent one year without a contract and thus the Spurs would lose his rights.

ChumpDumper
07-04-2006, 10:10 PM
It was a legit question since he took so much time off, but if we didn't hold his rights Presti wouldn't have included Robertas in that article about the foreign legion on the Spurs' website.

ChumpDumper
07-04-2006, 10:12 PM
If he wasn't under contract, then he owes the Spurs for his medical expenses here and needs to work them off. :drunk

RobinsontoDuncan
07-04-2006, 10:13 PM
Chump, do you have a link to that story by chance, i wasnt able to find it, but im not sure if that's because i didnt look hard enough or it was an older article.

furry_spurry
07-04-2006, 10:14 PM
Chump... Thank you for knowing enough to know my point was valid. Say for example some foreign player got called into military service for his country and has to go a year without basketball and he had no contract, would that team lose his rights-- or are there exemptions?

Kori Ellis
07-04-2006, 10:18 PM
I know alot more than you do-- not Kori.. It was my understanding that Robertas spent one year without a contract and thus the Spurs would lose his rights.

I don't know what that first sentence means. :lol But when he got in the accident in May 2002, it appears that he was under contract with Rytas at the time. Just because he didn't play the following season doesn't mean he wasn't under contract with them.

furry_spurry
Maybe I was thinking of Jay Wiliams- he wasn't under contract with anyone after his accident- right.

ChumpDumper
Chump, do you have a link to that story by chance, i wasnt able to find it, but im not sure if that's because i didnt look hard enough or it was an older article.http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/presti_060327.html

SPARKY
07-04-2006, 10:19 PM
Um, we're getting Javtokas. Next question.

furry_spurry
07-04-2006, 10:19 PM
I don't know what that first sentence means. :lol But when he got in the accident in May 2002, it appears that he was under contract with Rytas at the time. Just because he didn't play the following season doesn't mean he wasn't under contract with them.
I edited it because your post came in between our two-- it meant I wasn't "talking" to you. :lol
Robertas didn't play for two seasons, though, right?

ChumpDumper
07-04-2006, 10:20 PM
Chump... Thank you for knowing enough to know my point was valid. Say for example some foreign player got called into military service for his country and has to go a year without basketball and he had no contract, would that team lose his rights-- or are there exemptions?We were actually afrraid David Robinson might bolt to another team after his military service. I don't think there was anything really stopping him from that at the time and I'd have to read the actual CBA to see if there has been any changes.

furry_spurry
07-04-2006, 10:25 PM
We were actually afrraid David Robinson might bolt to another team after his military service. I don't think there was anything really stopping him from that at the time and I'd have to read the actual CBA to see if there has been any changes.
Thanks. :)

TDMVPDPOY
07-04-2006, 10:26 PM
http://tinypic.com/8whxf6.jpg

Spurs9
07-04-2006, 10:59 PM
http://www.orlyowl.com/upload/files/OHRLYSW.jpg

Das Texan
07-04-2006, 11:11 PM
Maybe I was thinking of Jay Wiliams- he wasn't under contract with anyone after his accident- right.

he was.

the bulls bought him out.

next?

exstatic
07-04-2006, 11:15 PM
No. Chicago paid him for the year after the accident, and then declined to pick up any more years after that.

whottt
07-05-2006, 05:15 AM
We were actually afrraid David Robinson might bolt to another team after his military service. I don't think there was anything really stopping him from that at the time and I'd have to read the actual CBA to see if there has been any changes.

IIRC there was a loophole due to David's Military commitment where basically he was a FA, because he wasn't going to be released in time for the Spurs to be able to sign him...and he had the Spurs entirely by the balls. And it was something the Spurs knew was going to happen when they drafted him.

Not only was it a case of David having the option to bolt after his military service...there was a period where(and I can't remember exactly what the circumstances were) David was allowed to field offers from other teams...and could have signed with the Spurs getting absolutely nothing in return.

This was not something that could have happened...this was something that actually did happen.

Other teams did make offers to Drob...the Lakers being one of them.

This is why I get infuriated with Spurs fans that bash David Robinson and say he wasn't a winner...because he turned down the opportunity to play with Magic Johnson and be Kareem's replacement...to play for this fucking franchise. This is why it drives me insane when Spurs fans do that.

This is why it drives me insane when they suck Shaq's dick...Shaq who forced his way into LA and killed his old franchise in the process...

There's simply no comparison.

Fact: David Robinson attended a Lakers game and sat right there in the box with Jerry West after the Spurs drafted him....I don't remember the exact details of it..but I know it happened. I want to say it was during the 88 Finals against the Pistons. I know him going to a Laker game as the guest of Jerry West happened.

I can't remember all the details...I know the deal the Spurs ended up signing with him lead to them actually paying him money while he was in the Navy to sign with them when his commitment ended...and of course the contract he signed guranteed him an average of the top 3 salaries in the NBA...All of which he could have gotten from the Celtics, and Lakers as well.

But Spurs fans need to be extremely grateful that Drob is the kind of person that he is...and they need to never say he wasn't a fucking winner...because the only reason he wasn't, was because he chose to come here. He turned down Jerry West, Magic Johnson..and the bright lights and big endorsement money, and ever lasting rep as an immortal of the game, the same things that Shaq couldn't get to fast enough...and dumped his expansion team in the process....

...to sign with the town that was barely holding on to it's team.

Would any other player have done that? Including Tim Duncan?

Drob gave up a lot of money, and a lot of prestige, for no other reason than to stick with the team that bet it's entire existence and future on him.. and there was nothing he did here that he couldn't have done elsewhere a hell of a lot easier.

Spurs fans and the fucking San Antonio media need to remember that shit the next time they see a list of the top C's and Drob isn't on it.

Quadzilla99
07-05-2006, 05:23 AM
^^Amen to that.

SA Gunslinger
07-05-2006, 06:41 AM
Fact: David Robinson attended a Lakers game and sat right there in the box with Jerry West after the Spurs drafted him....I don't remember the exact details of it..but I know it happened. I want to say it was during the 88 Finals against the Pistons. I know him going to a Laker game as the guest of Jerry West happened.

A Laker season ticket holder told me she used to see David's dad at Laker games. Did Ambrose Robinson live in Los Angeles for a time?

whottt
07-05-2006, 06:51 AM
I don't think so...I think he lived in Florida. I think he still lives there. And before that I think they lived in Virginia. I know Drob was a Ralph Sampson Fan...I always figured that was because of the Virginia connection.

furry_spurry
07-05-2006, 08:29 AM
No. Chicago paid him for the year after the accident, and then declined to pick up any more years after that.
That is what I meant. After the accident-- not immediately after but still after-- he went without a contract for at least one year. Robertas missed two seasons, and just because he was under contract when he got hurt does not mean he had a contract for two more years.

furry_spurry
07-05-2006, 08:31 AM
he was.

the bulls bought him out.

next?
If the Bulls bought him out, then he went WITHOUT a contract- thus proving MY point. I didn't say he had no contract when he got hurt- of course he did- but AFTER the accident he went without a contract.

bdictjames
07-05-2006, 12:27 PM
We have the rights to Javtoka. Don't worry about it.

ChumpDumper
07-05-2006, 12:34 PM
The Williams case is different because he was under contract with an NBA team. As soon as that deal ended Jay immediately became a free agent able to be signed by any team when he cleared waivers (not that any team would want to at the time).