PDA

View Full Version : Finding The Bigman

timvp
07-04-2006, 10:19 PM
Now that Ben Wallace, Joel Przybilla and Nazr Mohammed have signed, the Spurs are going to have to get creative in finding the bigman they need to complete their roster.

To breakdown the players, I took the ten best bigman options and compared them against each other in ten categories that the Spurs would look at. The player who ranked first in a category got 10 points, second got 9 points ... all the way down to last getting 1 point. I then added up those points to get a total to indicate the best all-around option for the Spurs.

Here are they are in order of best to worst:

JACKIE BUTLER
http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/jackie_butler.jpg
Restricted Free Agent
Points - 15.7 (8)
Rebounds - 9.9 (7)
RbR - 14.8 (7)
Blocks - 1.7 (10)
Assists - 1.3 (6)
FG% - .544 (10)
Jumper% - .373 (8)
TOffense - +9.7 (10)
TDefense - +7.1 (9)
TReb - +0.7% (4)
-----------------
Total - 79
Butler is a little known center who has played two year with the Knicks. In the horrible year that the Knicks had last season, Butler was one of their lone bright spots. He outplayed two higher paid center options (Eddy Curry and Jerome James) and showed great promise for a 21-year-old. He's a restricted free agent so he'll be tough to steal, especially from the Knicks. Dell Demps, who now works for the Spurs, was credited with "finding" Butler in the CBA, so Butler does have some Spur ties.

MELVIN ELY
http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/melvin_ely.jpg
Restricted Free Agent
Points - 16.6 (9)
Rebounds - 8.2 (3)
RbR - 11.9 (3)
Blocks - 1.3 (9)
Assists - 2.3 (9)
FG% - 508 (8)
Jumper% - .339 (4)
TOffense - -0.2 (6)
TDefense - +2.4 (6)
TReb - +3.5% (9)
-----------------
Total - 66
Ely is a guy the Spurs have been after for some time. The Spurs went after him when he was with the Clippers and last summer when they offered the Bobcats Devin Brown in a sign-and-trade deal. This summer Ely is a restricted free agent. He's a good all-around player who could possibly work well next to Duncan.

REGGIE EVANS
http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/reggie_evans.jpg
Unrestricted Free Agent
Points - 10.8 (4)
Rebounds - 14.4 (10)
RbR - 21.5 (10)
Blocks - 0.3 (1)
Assists - 1.1 (4)
FG% - 489 (7)
Jumper% - .340 (6)
TOffense - -1.0 (5)
TDefense - -3.9 (1)
TReb - +4.2% (10)
-----------------
Total - 58
Evans is the top unrestricted free agent in this list. While he does have some limitations to his game, he's a great rebounder. He'll have to get better defensively, but the Spurs and Pop would work on him with that.

JAKE VOSKUHL
http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/jake_voskuhl.jpg
Unrestricted Free Agent
Points - 13.2 (7)
Rebounds - 8.9 (4)
RbR - 13.0 (4)
Blocks - 1.1 (7)
Assists - 1.9 (7)
FG% - .437 (1)
Jumper% - .377 (9)
TOffense - -2.3 (4)
TDefense - +5.4 (8)
TReb - +3.1% (7)
-----------------
Total - 58
Voskuhl isn't a player you think of when you are dreaming of free agent signings but he's solid. He has a game winner in the playoffs against the Spurs to his credit. He's a scraper with a decent outside shot.

DARIUS SONGAILA
http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/darius_songaila.jpg
Unrestricted Free Agent
Points - 17.1 (10)
Rebounds - 7.4 (1)
RbR - 10.6 (1)
Blocks - 0.5 (2)
Assists - 2.6 (10)
FG% - .481 (6)
Jumper% - .437 (10)
TOffense - +2.1 (8)
TDefense - -0.3 (3)
TReb - -1.0% (2)
-----------------
Total - 53
Songaila is a pure offensive player. Out of the ten players listed, he's by far the best offensively. What he doesn't do is rebound or block shots. He could probably step in and make the Spurs a great offensive team but the Spurs need more than that. One thing he has going for him is he's Lithuanian and the Spurs could bring him in to make life easier on fellow Lithuanian Robertas Javtokas.

JAMAAL MAGLOIRE
http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/jamaal_magloire.jpg
Milwaukee Bucks
Points - 12.4 (6)
Rebounds - 12.6 (9)
RbR - 18.7 (9)
Blocks - 1.3 (9)
Assists - 0.9 (1)
FG% - .467 (4)
Jumper% - .190 (1)
TOffense - -2.9 (2)
TDefense - +1.4 (5)
TReb - +1.3% (5)
-----------------
Total - 51
Magloire is on the Bucks but he's widely considered a few days away from being traded. When I broke down the numbers, I realized he just wouldn't work on the Spurs. He has absolutely no jumper to speak of and his defense is poor. He'd get in Duncan's way in the low block.

AARON WILLIAMS
http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/aaron_williams.jpg
Unrestricted Free Agent
Points - 11.2 (5)
Rebounds - 9.2 (5)
RbR - 13.7 (5)
Blocks - 1.1 (7)
Assists - 0.9 (1)
FG% - .517 (9)
Jumper% - .344 (7)
TOffense - +1.1 (7)
TDefense - +0.3 (4)
TReb - -3.8% (1)
-----------------
Total - 51
Williams is your standard veteran bigman. He's been around the block but could come in and give you filler minutes. Although his lack of rebounding doesn't make him a very good option for the Spurs.

SCOT POLLARD
http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/scot_pollard.jpg
Unrestricted Free Agent
Points - 8.7 (1)
Rebounds - 11.3 (8)
RbR - 16.2 (8)
Blocks - 1.0 (4)
Assists - 1.2 (5)
FG% - .455 (2)
Jumper% - .321 (3)
TOffense - +4.2 (9)
TDefense - -0.8 (2)
TReb - +2.0% (6)
-----------------
Total - 48
Pollard could be a decent fit for the Spurs just based on his rebounding numbers. But he's old, fragile and not an offensive threat at all. You could bring him off the bench and put him on some of the bigger centers in the league but other than that, he doesn't bring much to the table.

JARRON COLLINS
http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/jarron_collins.jpg
Unrestricted Free Agent
Points - 9.6 (2)
Rebounds - 7.7 (2)
RbR - 11.0 (2)
Blocks - 0.6 (3)
Assists - 2.2 (8)
FG% - .461 (3)
Jumper% - .340 (6)
TOffense - -2.6 (3)
TDefense - +7.3 (10)
TReb - +3.2% (8)
-----------------
Total - 47
Collins is a guy who doesn't score or rebound much but his numbers beyond the boxscore are great. The Jazz last year were a much, much better rebounding and defensive team when he was in the game. It'd be a little hard to see him stepping right into a starting spot with the Spurs, but I guess they could do worse.

LORENZEN WRIGHT
http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/lorenzen_wright.jpg
Unrestricted Free Agent
Points - 10.7 (3)
Rebounds - 9.3 (6)
RbR - 14.1 (6)
Blocks - 1.1 (7)
Assists - 1.1 (4)
FG% - .478 (5)
Jumper% - .284 (2)
TOffense - -3.4 (1)
TDefense - +3.7 (7)
TReb - -0.3% (3)
-----------------
Total - 44
Wright isn't a very exciting player on the court and the numbers back it up. He doesn't really do anything well enough to go after him. He's a decent rebounder and is decent at blocking shots, but not really good enough to bring in for what his price tag promises to be.

KEY
Points - Points Per 40 Minutes
Rebounds - Rebounds Per 40 Minutes
RbR - Rebound rate is an estimate of the percentage of missed shots a player rebounded while he was on the floor.
Blocks - Blocks Per 40 Minutes
Assists - Assists Per 40 Minutes
FG% - Field Goal Percentage
Jumper% - Field Goal Percentage on shots outside of the paint.
TOffense - The team's points per 100 possessions when the player is on the court when compared to when the player is off the court.
TDefense - The team's points against per 100 possessions when the player is on the court when compared to when the player is off the court.
TReb - The percentage of defensive rebounds a team grabs when the player is on the court when compared to when the player is off the court.

SPARKY
07-04-2006, 10:21 PM
Butler's intriguing. Maybe Zeke could convince himself that the clever thing to do would be to let him go.

I'm hoping for Evans, but hey, if they can bring in a Williams that's not bad. Power forward by committee in '06.

TDMVPDPOY
07-04-2006, 10:23 PM
louzy ft% is a must :D

spurschick
07-04-2006, 10:24 PM
I may need therapy if Voskuhl becomes a Spur. I hate that guy.

Pistons < Spurs
07-04-2006, 10:26 PM
Voskuhl.

furry_spurry
07-04-2006, 10:28 PM
Where's Keith Van Horn? ;)

spurschick
Voskuhl.

Fine. You're paying for my therapy.

Mr.Bottomtooth
I seriously think that we should go after either Magloire, Ely, or Gooden(who was not there). Magloire can share the time with Robertas, Ely can be the backup power forward for Duncan, or Gooden can be put in the lineup and move Duncan to center.

timvp
07-04-2006, 10:29 PM
Where's Keith Van Horn? ;)

I couldn't bring myself to even include him.

Kori Ellis
I guess it depends on the price tag, but my first tier of preferences would include Butler, Wright, Evans, and Ely (not necessarily in that order).

timvp
I seriously think that we should go after either Magloire, Ely, or Gooden(who was not there). Magloire can share the time with Robertas, Ely can be the backup power forward for Duncan, or Gooden can be put in the lineup and move Duncan to center.

Gooden and Harrington I consider out of Holt's price range.

ashbeeigh
Thanks LJ. Now when y'all throw around names I'll know a bit more. Pollard's hair wigs me out. That's all from me for now. Nothing of substance.

Pistons < Spurs
Fine. You're paying for my therapy.
http://russianbridesworld.com/img/single-travel-08-money-for-trips.jpg

strangeweather
07-04-2006, 10:30 PM
I would never have thought of Voskuhl, but he's an interesting name to add to the hopper. We could do a lot worse. :tu

SequSpur
07-04-2006, 10:30 PM
Rasho > than the entire list.

Pistons < Spurs
07-04-2006, 10:31 PM
Pollard's hair wigs me out.

I wonder if he still paints his nails black...

spurschick
07-04-2006, 10:32 PM
I would never have thought of Voskuhl, but he's an interesting name to add to the hopper.

:shootme :vomit:

SPARKY
07-04-2006, 10:32 PM
About the only way you can land a RFA is to make a big offer or to catch a team afraid of the LuxTax Boogeyman.

Slinkyman
07-04-2006, 10:33 PM
Songaila or Ely

Brutalis
Ely and Evans all aboard the Championship Express!

exstatic
Butler sounds interesting, and it would TOTALLY piss off the Knicks if we threw the MCE at him. Barring that, Ely. If we sign Voskuhl, I'm hanging myself.

spurschick
07-04-2006, 10:35 PM
If we sign Voskuhl, I'm hanging myself.

If you'd like to join in on therapy, Pistons<Spurs is paying.

ChumpDumper
07-04-2006, 10:36 PM
If we do get another PF, we'll still have to get a true center at some point.

Butler, Ely, Pollard and Collins have center size -- but if we don't get one of those, a dreadnaught signing could be a project like James Lang (tremendous fat athlete) or Andreas Glyniadakis (skilled and improving Euro).

exstatic
07-04-2006, 10:36 PM
If you'd like to join in on therapy, Pistons<Spurs is paying.
I don't think there's enough therapy in the world for that... :madrun :madrun

spurschick
07-04-2006, 10:39 PM
Andreas Glyniadakis (skilled and improving Euro)

I want him just to hear Stan Kelly try and pronounce his name.

furry_spurry
07-04-2006, 10:42 PM
Rasho > than the entire list.
I believe we have witnessed one of the signs of the Apocalypse.

Pistons < Spurs
07-04-2006, 10:43 PM
or Andreas Glyniadakis (skilled and improving Euro).

The Pistons owned him for 3 or 4 years, and completely gave up on him. But him being in Europe, I couldn't tell you shit about how good or bad he looked. I think he was in our summer league team last year. Those stats should be available somewhere.

timvp
07-04-2006, 10:45 PM
The Cavaliers are supposedly interested in Knicks backup center Jackie Butler. The Knicks would like to have him back, but only on the cheap. The Cavaliers would probably have to give him a multi-year deal.

If Danny Ferry wants him that probably means the Spurs were high on him while Ferry was still in SA. Perhaps the Spurs can get him for something above "cheap".

Perhaps not.

:pctoss

ChumpDumper
07-04-2006, 10:46 PM
The Pistons owned him for 3 or 4 years, and completely gave up on him. But him being in Europe, I couldn't tell you shit about how good or bad he looked. I think he was in our summer league team last year. Those stats should be available somewhere.He played for Albuquerque in the D-League last year and really came into his own at the end of the season. He's worth a summer league invite to see if it could carry over.

Slinkyman
07-04-2006, 10:47 PM
Wouldn't Evans be in the same boat as Scola, no outside shot and plays close to the basket? That said guy like Songaila who has a good jumper would be able to spread the floor.

timvp
07-04-2006, 10:47 PM
Wouldn't Evans be in the same boat as Scola, no outside shot and plays close to the basket? That said guy like Songaila who has a good jumper would be able to spread the floor.

Spurs need rebounding.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-04-2006, 10:48 PM
Kori told me to post this:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45384

Supergirl
07-04-2006, 10:51 PM
Butler, Ely and Songalia are the only three really worth pursuing on this list.

Pistons < Spurs
07-04-2006, 10:52 PM
He played for Albuquerque in the D-League last year and really came into his own at the end of the season. He's worth a summer league invite to see if it could carry over.

No shit? I wasn't aware of that.

I figured he ended up back in in Europe and disappeared into obscurity.

I always thought he had potential ... but never saw it when we had his rights.

ChumpDumper
07-04-2006, 10:59 PM
No shit? I wasn't aware of that.

I figured he ended up back in in Europe and disappeared into obscurity.

I always thought he had potential ... but never saw it when we had his rights.He sucked early in the season at Roanoke but got traded to to Albuquerque (Michael Cooper said he "pee-peed" in his pants when he heard he was available -- his words). Had more than a few dominant performances there on the way to winning the championship. Not a lock to stick in the NBA, but if he could get in position like Rasho I'd be happy.

All Lang needs to do is lose 20 pounds and he'd be signed on athleticism alone.

Pistons < Spurs
07-04-2006, 11:02 PM
He sucked early in the season at Roanoke but got traded to to Albuquerque (Michael Cooper said he "pee-peed" in his pants when he heard he was available -- his words). Had more than a few dominant performances there on the way to winning the championship. Not a lock to stick in the NBA, but if he could get in position like Rasho I'd be happy.

All Lang needs to do is lose 20 pounds and he'd be signed on athleticism alone.

While I'm happy to hear of him starting to succeed, I'm very upset that we let him go.

Thanks for the info, I'll be making an attempt to follow his progress now.

ChumpDumper
07-04-2006, 11:06 PM
For what it's worth, he completely tore up Pavel Podkolzin and Ha Seung Jin in the championship game: 26 pts 17 reb and 4 blk. I liked that he didn't shy away from contact.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-04-2006, 11:18 PM
If we sign Voskuhl I'm going to join mouse as a Mavs fan.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-04-2006, 11:21 PM
Butler sounds interesting, and it would TOTALLY piss off the Knicks if we threw the MCE at him. Barring that, Ely. If we sign Voskuhl, I'm hanging myself.

Agreed.

Hell, throw 2-3mil over 3 yrs at him and you'd probably land him. He's huge, he can block shots and rebound. Unless we are going smallball from now on he'd fit beautifully.

ChumpDumper
07-04-2006, 11:22 PM
Yeah, some of us have been high on Butler for awhile.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=71438&postcount=22

MannyIsGod
07-04-2006, 11:28 PM
I could be sold on Butler but I really don't know much about the guy. I didn't realize his numbers were that impressive.

I'm not a fan of using the entire MLE on a big man. I'd be much happier with a good portion of that money going after Jared Jefferies or Arriza. I guess the Spurs are really worried that Javaktovas and Oberto can't cut it. I understand that Oberto sucks ass, but I at least had hope for Javaktovas. I don't understand why we're bringing him over if they don't think he can do what Rasho has done for the past 2 years.

I also like Ely. I think Evans is fine as well for less than the whole MLE. I don't want Jake Voskuhl. Fuck that.

SPARKY
07-04-2006, 11:29 PM
Yeah, some of us have been high on Butler for awhile.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=71438&postcount=22

And some of us have just been...

http://www.boomspeed.com/woaimouse/hugger-2.jpg

gospursgojas
07-05-2006, 12:03 AM
Jakie Butler or Magloire....damn make it happen PopRC

beirmeistr
07-05-2006, 12:18 AM
Wow, very impressive analysis, TIMVP.
If the key stat is "cheap," I vote for Scott Pollard.

Axl Van Dam
07-05-2006, 12:26 AM
:bike: Jamal Magloire by a mile.

tempest186
07-05-2006, 12:35 AM
The Spurs are just waiting to break out the secret (signing) weapon.......the Karaulov.

or not.

E20
07-05-2006, 01:14 AM
Call me pessmistic, but I don't see the Spurs getting most of those players. Maybe, they'd land Pollard, Voshkul or Williams.

exstatic
07-05-2006, 07:22 AM
Spurs need rebounding.

If that's your overriding criteria, you have to at least look at Jamal Sampson.

ObiwanGinobili
07-05-2006, 08:08 AM
Ely, Butler,Collins, Songaila.

and no to the goth he/she guy.

btw- greg simmons (:rolleyes) last night mentioned Scola as most probebly coming over now - buy out be damned.
thoughts?

ObiwanGinobili
07-05-2006, 08:09 AM
Call me pessmistic, but I don't see the Spurs getting most of those players. Maybe, they'd land Pollard, Voshkul or Williams.

done.

IcemanCometh
07-05-2006, 08:11 AM
so crap crap crap or crap?

picnroll
07-05-2006, 08:18 AM
Rather the Spurs not sign dregs to long term contracts out of desperation. Overpay some stiff for a onne year deal and try again next year.

rascal
07-05-2006, 08:44 AM
Can't the spurs pursue a trade to get someone better than that list? voskhul? You should have not even bothered mentioning him. He isn't a player worthy of quality minutes.

Lets hope the spurs don't consider him.
No more slow white bigman stiffs.

sa_butta
07-05-2006, 08:47 AM
I would like to see a trade with the Bucks for Magloire. I dont really like what is left in the free agent pool.

Russ
07-05-2006, 09:54 AM
Tony Battie -- one of the guys posted in the digging through bargains thread. He looks better than most of the others to me, mainly because he blocks shots and appears quick enough to defend 4s (an apparent requirement now).

So far, so good up to now. The Spurs didn't get stuck with Wallace or Pryzbilla and didn't make any boneheaded trade of Barry, so now the real fun can begin.

I think what the Spurs do this off-season may look better in the rear-view mirror (hopefully next June) than it does now.

Let's get Battie, but not Magliore, please.

Kori Ellis
07-05-2006, 09:55 AM
Tony Battie -- one of the guys posted in the digging through bargains thread. He looks better than most of the others to me, mainly because he blocks shots and appears quick enough to defend 4s (an apparent requirement now).

So far, so good up to now. The Spurs didn't get stuck with Wallace or Pryzbilla and didn't make any boneheaded trade of Barry, so now the real fun can begin.

I think what the Spurs do this off-season may look better in the rear-view mirror (hopefully next June) than it does now.

Let's get Battie, but not Magliore, please.

They extended Battie a few months ago. I don't know why he's on the free agent list on NBA.com

http://www.nba.com/magic/news/Magic_ReSign_Tony_Battie-172989-800.html

1Parker1
07-05-2006, 09:59 AM
He's not really a Bigman...but whatever happened to Jeffries? Did he end up resigning with the Wiz? Or are the Spurs still looking at him?

Kori Ellis
07-05-2006, 10:00 AM
He's not really a Bigman...but whatever happened to Jeffries? Did he end up resigning with the Wiz? Or are the Spurs still looking at him?

Nothing happened to him yet. Supposedly 6 or more teams are interested in him. I haven't heard anymore than that.

Obstructed_View
07-05-2006, 10:05 AM
Nothing happened to him yet. Supposedly 6 or more teams are interested in him. I haven't heard anymore than that.
Expect the Spurs to offer the fifth most money. That's best-case.

Russ
07-05-2006, 10:07 AM
He's 6'11" with a career field goal percantage of .432. That's more than just poor shooting --- that's a lack of athletic ability and skill. Doesn't rebound much either.

Russ
07-05-2006, 10:29 AM
Sorry if this has been posted before but this is a player I've been thinking about for the Spurs the last couple weeks. . .

What about Chris Mihm? The Lakers seem to be ready to trade him with Kwame Brown's emergence late in the season and Turiaf's recovery from health problems. He's a good shot blocker. I always thought he was at least as good as Rasho (perhaps faint praise I know). Is he quick enough for the Spurs' defensive requirements? Are his eternal confidence problems too reminiscent of Rasho for the Spurs to consider him?

If he fits the bill, the Lakers are desperately looking for point guards, both starting and back-up. Beno might look better to them than he does to us (although Phil Jackson tends to like bigger guards).

So far he's only been in disfunctional situations. Cleveland and Boston were a mess and in LA, Kobe intimidates all his teammates and brings out their worst. Mihm is a Texas guy and familiar surroundings might bring out the best in him.

Mihm anyone?

wildbill2u
07-05-2006, 01:36 PM
When I see that list, I get nostalgic for Rasho-- and even Mr. Pump Fake Stone Hands NAZR--at least you knew what you had wouldn't kill you when out there against most centers.

I'm betting that CIA POP has something up his sleeve. He wouldn't have let Rasho go otherwise. Maybe Javtokas is better than we think. Maybe the Kiwi is ready after all these years. These guys are career journeymen.

ducks
07-05-2006, 01:47 PM
Mihm has a nice contract (1yr/4.2 mil)

Dre_7
07-05-2006, 02:00 PM
No Magloire, PLEASE!!

Guru of Nothing
07-05-2006, 04:14 PM
18 MONTHS TO GO

http://www.taipeitimes.com/images/2004/12/12/20041211220840.jpeg

Quadzilla99
07-05-2006, 04:18 PM
^^ :lol :lol

mabber
07-05-2006, 04:20 PM
Spurs are definitely going to need a big man. You gotta assume that Yao & TMac are gonna be healthy this season and if they are they should be up in the 4-6 seed playoff range I'd think. Who would cover Yao? I don't think you want Duncan covering him. I think a lot of people have totally dismissed the Rockets because they sucked so much w/o Yao & TMac. I could be wrong but I think TMac, Yao, Battier and company could be really good.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2006, 04:22 PM
Let's give the Lakers the sweet shooting PG with the ability to dish.

RogerIsEatingASandwich
07-05-2006, 04:23 PM
18 MONTHS TO GO

http://www.taipeitimes.com/images/2004/12/12/20041211220840.jpeg

:lol

wildbill2u
07-05-2006, 04:53 PM
So many posts keep saying, "we don't want Duncan defending_______ because he might foul out. I think this is the wrong attitude.

What about whoever_________ is fouling out defending Duncan?

If Duncan can't defend against a premier player on the opposing team, then why has he been given a place on the all-defense team?

Line 'em up and let 'em play. But he needs some help on the front line offensively and defensively other than Bruce.

ChumpDumper
07-05-2006, 04:58 PM
If Duncan can't defend against a premier player on the opposing team, then why has he been given a place on the all-defense team?Because he's pretty much the league's best weakside/help defender.

mabber
07-05-2006, 05:06 PM
Because he's pretty much the league's best weakside/help defender.

I was just about to post the very same response.

Ocotillo
07-05-2006, 05:18 PM
I would imagine he is under contract but would Marcus Camby be an option via trade?

Cant_Be_Faded
07-05-2006, 05:41 PM
wow what a horrible horrible waste of duncan's prime

Ginofan
07-05-2006, 05:45 PM
Magloire and his 1 year deal looks like the best option to me.

Spurs Dynasty 21
07-05-2006, 05:46 PM
LOL, pathetic

and Reggie Evan is going to resign with Denver

Solid D
07-05-2006, 05:47 PM
:lol Good one GoN.

50 cent
07-05-2006, 06:27 PM
Wow, what a depressing list of options.

Fuck the Voskul idea. :td

navarat
07-05-2006, 06:58 PM
butler, Ely, or evans. either one.

spurschick
07-05-2006, 07:33 PM
Dipping into the crack bin again...

Instead of looking at this year's free agents, what about next year's? I'm not sure if any of these guys have signed extensions, but they're listed as FAs next summer. Perhaps another Bonner-type trade is in the works? (Not saying that these guys are our dream centers... just throwing it out there.)

Predrag Drobniak
Primoz Brezec
Michael Doleac
Jake Tsakalidis

ChumpDumper
07-05-2006, 07:34 PM
You had me at "Predrag".

picnroll
07-05-2006, 07:34 PM
Menge Bateer
Keon Clark
Willis Reed
Bill Russell

djohn14
07-05-2006, 07:46 PM
Ely.

Taking it to the Hole
07-05-2006, 07:55 PM
Right now, Butler and Ely seem like the only centers worth pursuing and they are both restricted, just like the typical Spur luck. I think we need to make a strong run at Butler, the guy is young, athletic, and has tremendous upside. He is just going to get better and playing next to a Tim Duncan will make him mature faster. If we need to use the full MLE, then so be it. We need a guy like this on our team and right now the well is drying up fast for options, so we need to make a decision and pronto.

Spurs Dynasty 21
07-05-2006, 08:04 PM
is Javatokus(sp?) comming?

Kori Ellis
07-05-2006, 08:09 PM
is Javatokus(sp?) comming?

Javtokas. Yes.

boutons_
07-05-2006, 08:26 PM
Still several weeks to go, but RC or whoever said it may have to eat his words about Robertas not starting. I figure sooner rather than later. Hustle his maniac butt on defense, crash the boards, and stay out of Tim's way on offense.

We didn't have it that good last year.

Spurs Dynasty 21
07-05-2006, 08:43 PM
Javtokas. Yes.

have the Spurs made it official yet?

Despot
07-05-2006, 09:37 PM
have the Spurs made it official yet?

I believe it is as official as it can get before July 12.

strangeweather
07-05-2006, 09:44 PM
I believe it is as official as it can get before July 12.
Actually, unless I've just completely forgotten it, they haven't held a press conference announcing they'll be signing him.

Despot
07-05-2006, 09:48 PM
Actually, unless I've just completely forgotten it, they haven't held a press conference announcing they'll be signing him.

I thought they can't even do that

shyne
07-05-2006, 09:54 PM
I say try and get David Harrsion in a trade

Obstructed_View
07-05-2006, 10:06 PM
Every time I see this thread I think Bigman is a jewish name.

Quadzilla99
07-05-2006, 10:27 PM
I say try and get David Harrsion in a trade

That guy is a black hole look at his assist numbers, Yinka Dare like.

timvp
07-06-2006, 02:02 AM
The Knicks have 14 players with guaranteed contracts, leaving them just one vacancy on the roster. They have not yet ruled out re-signing their own free agents, Jackie Butler and Qyntel Woods. Isiah Thomas, the team president, said last week that he was comfortable with the roster as is and would not be aggressive in making changes this summer.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/06/sports/basketball/06knicks.html

Perhaps Butler is available for the right price.

:smokin

strangeweather
07-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Perhaps Butler is available for the right price.

Damn. We're all out of undersized power forwards and unconscionably selfish point guards with horrible contracts.

Maybe we could work a three-way trade?

Or maybe we could resign Van Exel for 6 years/$42 million and ship him out there.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-06-2006, 12:28 PM
Ely, Evans, Magloire or Gooden.

picnroll
07-07-2006, 12:36 PM
We need a vBookie on this. Let's see, we're down to Collins, Butler, Vujcic, Olowokandi. Any other possibilities Pop and Buford can dredge up to live in Mr Robinson's old neighborhood? :cry

spur219
07-07-2006, 12:42 PM
I would like Butler but I think he will remain a Knick. The only realistic option I see is Scott Pollard.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-07-2006, 12:50 PM
Ely would be cool, plus he looks kind of gangsta which is a built-in plus. I'd vote against Evans because he looks a little like Finley, so I think that could create some confusion among teammates.

I remember when Keith Van Horn was coming into the NBA I read an article that said he has a 40-inch vertical leap. I'm convinced he's truly a balla who is just holding out until he gets on the right team. You can't go wrong with a number 3 overall pick.

If you could combine Jarron and Jason Collins like that old WonderTwin cartoon you might actually have yourself a decent center...ok maybe not. At least there'd be 12 good fouls to give. Seeing brothers with that limited skillset playing in the NBA makes me curse my 6'2" genes.

Mr. Body
07-07-2006, 12:52 PM
I'd vote against Evans because he looks a little like Finley, so I think that could create some confusion among teammates.

Kind of like when we had Massenburg and Glenn Robinson together -- you couldn't tell which was which in full court shots.

Same, some of the times, with Nazr and Finley, if your TV wasn't big enough. Same color of skin and everything, just one was bigger.

MajorMike
07-07-2006, 12:54 PM
Same color of skin and everything, just one was bigger.

Oh, no, you dih-uhnt.

mabber
07-07-2006, 12:57 PM
Kind of like when we had Massenburg and Glenn Robinson together -- you couldn't tell which was which in full court shots.

Same, some of the times, with Nazr and Finley, if your TV wasn't big enough. Same color of skin and everything, just one was bigger.

Off the topic...did the Spurs win the title the year that they had GRob? I can't remember which year he was with them.

Mr. Body
07-07-2006, 12:59 PM
Oh, no, you dih-uhnt.

I did. What's wrong? They're both dark skinned black men.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-07-2006, 01:00 PM
Off the topic...did the Spurs win the title the year that they had GRob? I can't remember which year he was with them.

Yes.

Big Dog is a badass.

Mr. Body
07-07-2006, 01:00 PM

Yes, 2005. I think it was Massenburg. Just looked it up - yep. He and GRob looked very similar, chrome domes and all.

Mr. Body
07-07-2006, 01:01 PM
Yes.

Big Dog is a badass.

I have regrets we didn't have him this year.

Marc Cuban
07-07-2006, 04:26 PM
It's pretty much a done deal that the Spurs are signing Javtokas July 12th. Does anyone know what the exact terms of the contract will be yet and how many years it will be? The LLE at $1.7 million a year for about 3 years I think, right?

mabber
07-07-2006, 04:30 PM
It's pretty much a done deal that the Spurs are signing Javtokas July 12th. Does anyone know what the exact terms of the contract will be yet and how many years it will be? The LLE at $1.7 million a year for about 3 years I think, right?

Shouldn't you be in Vegas trying to sign Mike James instead of worrying about what spare the Spurs are gonna sign? :lol

jman3000
07-07-2006, 04:31 PM
That's what happens when you forget to sign out of your troll screen name :lol

Spurs9
07-07-2006, 04:32 PM
That's what happens when you forget to sign out of your troll screen name :lol

Kori Ellis
07-07-2006, 04:33 PM

LLE is only 2 year deal. And I don't think anyone knows the terms yet.

Mr. Body
07-07-2006, 04:37 PM
The LLE is the troubling one, because you don't retain Bird Rights to a player that blows up, right?

Spurs9
07-07-2006, 04:37 PM
LLE is only 2 year deal. And I don't think anyone knows the terms yet.
I really hope he turns out to be a beast for the spurs, I keep watching those videos of him playing in europe.

ChumpDumper
07-07-2006, 05:19 PM
The LLE is the troubling one, because you don't retain Bird Rights to a player that blows up, right?The CBA has been chaged to where a two year player can have a super-MLE offer sheet matched by his original team even if that team is over the cap.

violentkitten
07-08-2006, 02:22 PM
Yes.

Big Dog is a badass.

hmmm...rebounding big 3 with a jumper who could reasonably play the 4 against a perimeter oriented team. nah, we dont need that. luxury tax is the pathway to communist hell.

spurschick
07-08-2006, 03:37 PM
When is Darko a free agent?

Mr. Body
07-08-2006, 04:11 PM
The CBA has been chaged to where a two year player can have a super-MLE offer sheet matched by his original team even if that team is over the cap.

Thanks. So it's the super-MLE or nothing? Or can you use part of it to re-sign the dude?

timvp
07-12-2006, 05:58 PM
Of all the remaining bigmen, Butler was the best center available.

Now we just have to pray.

ChumpDumper
07-12-2006, 06:01 PM
Thanks. So it's the super-MLE or nothing? Or can you use part of it to re-sign the dude?You can use it to match. IIRC it's counted as the MLE the first season and ramps up substantially from there.

If you are just signing the player, you're still limited to the exceptions or cap space.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-12-2006, 06:03 PM
Butler is so young, we could sign him, then send him to europe for a few years to develop him. Then when we want to bring him back we can just not do it.

ChumpDumper
07-12-2006, 06:04 PM

timvp
07-12-2006, 06:05 PM
Butler is so young, we could sign him, then send him to europe for a few years to develop him. Then when we want to bring him back we can just not do it.

hehahhee good 1.

DaSpurs#1
07-12-2006, 06:12 PM
who of that list is in our pricerange? Butler looked good from the stats...

timvp
07-20-2006, 01:56 AM
Props to the Spurs getting the best bigman left on the market :smokin

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-20-2006, 02:57 AM
Amen brother.

This kid will fill the hole, and he's gonna learn a lot from Timmy and Rob that Jerome James and Eddy Curry will never comprehend, let alone learn.

IcemanCometh
07-20-2006, 08:34 AM
let's not start sucking each others' dicks just yet

JUUOT
07-20-2006, 09:21 AM
Props to the Spurs getting the best bigman left on the market :smokin

timvp, How would Elson do in the original standing you made?

50 cent
07-20-2006, 12:15 PM
Good call on Butler timvp. How would Elson have ranked with the same stats compared to the others?

Solid D
07-20-2006, 12:22 PM
Partial backpatter. timvp WAS a bit too pessimistic about the chances of the offer for Butler being matched.

50 cent
07-20-2006, 12:41 PM
Partial backpatter. timvp WAS a bit too pessimistic about the chances of the offer for Butler being matched.
Agree. I figured the Spurs knew something thanks to Larry and that is the reason they offered what they did.

timvp
07-20-2006, 02:37 PM

Not my fault Spurs got lucky.

:hat

Solid D
07-20-2006, 02:38 PM
:lol Oh, okay.

timvp
07-20-2006, 04:44 PM
For those wondering, here is the Francisco Elson breakdown:

FRANCSICO ELSON
http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/francisco_elson.jpg
Restricted Free Agent
Points - 8.9 (2)
Rebounds - 8.6 (3)
RbR - 10.1 (1)
Blocks - 1.1 (7)
Assists - 1.2 (6)
FG% - .532 (9)
Jumper% - .434 (9)
TOffense - +0.0 (6)
TDefense - +2.3 (6)
TReb - +0.6% (4)
-----------------
Total - 53

His score of 53 puts him in around the middle of the pack. The scary thing is his rebounding rate is worse than all the other players listed. Even worse than Darius Songaila, a perimeter oriented power forward who is a noted bad rebounder.

So the Spurs get destroyed by the Mavs on the glass and then go out and get the worst rebounding center in the game?

:pctoss

strangeweather
07-20-2006, 04:55 PM
So the Spurs get destroyed by the Mavs on the glass and then go out and get the worst rebounding center in the game?
If he plays against the Mavs, his rebounding is still better than Finley's.

mabber
07-20-2006, 04:59 PM
If he plays against the Mavs, his rebounding is still better than Finley's.

I don't think Finley thinks rebounding is part of the game. He certainly didn't in Dallas.

timvp
02-13-2007, 05:54 PM
The Spurs get one and two on the timvp list.

RC owes me part of his paycheck.

Spurminator
02-13-2007, 05:57 PM
They just did that because they were sick of you dogging Elson and they wanted to prove to you that he's better than both of them. :lol

drivanroca
:tu

LEONARD
it's more fun to bump old threads that are wrong...since they're so numerous...

but good call...

ChumpDumper
02-13-2007, 05:58 PM
No Spurs transaction is official until the presentation of the kluby.

T Park
02-13-2007, 06:00 PM
He's a good all-around player who could possibly work well next to Duncan.

Sweet :smokin

timvp
No Spurs transaction is official until the presentation of the kluby.

True. But the kluby should be awarded for this performance:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1391658&postcount=1

T Park
The Spurs get one and two on the timvp list.

RC owes me part of his paycheck.

You had them ranked above Reggie Evans.

Does this mean you like Ely more than Evans?

QUESTION

Kori Ellis
02-13-2007, 06:01 PM

Damn, that girl is a freakin genius.

Melvin Ely - Available for a expiring contract and a pick.

:lmao

Now they need to go do some other stuff on that list.

timvp
02-13-2007, 06:03 PM
You had them ranked above Reggie Evans.

Does this mean you like Ely more than Evans?

QUESTION

Nah, I'd still would take Evans because of the rebounding, but Ely has shown flashes of being decent in the past. If this trade becomes anything more than a salary dump, it's a damn good trade.

Solid D
02-13-2007, 06:22 PM

http://www.fullsportpress.com/backpatternew.gif

T Park
02-13-2007, 06:23 PM

timvp
02-13-2007, 06:50 PM
A couple other good calls:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1426668&postcount=65
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1153059&postcount=4

T Park
02-13-2007, 06:59 PM
haha

waly with the foreshadowing...

1Parker1
02-13-2007, 08:08 PM
Now let's see if your right about your little "Knicks will make the playoffs" BOLD prediction, Timvp. :smokin