PDA

View Full Version : Aggies savoring the ride

Jimcs50
10-18-2004, 10:54 AM
Aggies savoring the ride
5th straight win builds confidence, fun factor at A&M
By NEIL HOHLFELD
With each win, the confidence at Texas A&M grows in degrees that hardly seemed possible at the start of the season.

The Aggies beat Oklahoma State 36-20 for their fifth straight win Saturday night. After a 4-8 campaign in 2003 and losing 41-21 at Utah to open this season, the Aggies are perfect. A&M (5-1, 3-0 Big 12) is tied with Oklahoma for first place in the South Division.
"We knew at the beginning of the season we had a chance to be a good team, but if you had told me we'd be 5-1 right now, I'd have taken it quick," said A&M offensive tackle Geoff Hangartner. "I don't think we really knew at the start of the season what we'd be like coming off a year like we had last year.

"When you're 4-8 and getting blown out, to come out and start 5-1 makes it sweeter than if we'd have been like 11-1 last year."

The Aggies rode another strong game by quarterback Reggie McNeal to the win over previously undefeated Oklahoma State.

McNeal passed for 288 yards and two TDs and rushed for 98 yards and two TDs. He has accounted for 14 TDs (seven rushing, seven passing).

For the sixth straight week, McNeal did not throw an interception or lose a fumble.

"It's a blast out there right now," McNeal said. "There are times I just hand the ball off or throw it and sit back and watch my people. It's just fun." :spin

Plenty of Aggies are having fun on offense. McNeal threw passes to 10 players, with Terrence Murphy catching five for 104 yards and one touchdown. Using a spread offense for much of the game, the Aggies had 479 total yards.

"I think that we have confidence that we can play with anybody in the Big 12," Hangartner said. "I'm not going to say that we're a contender or a front-runner or anything like that, but I think that we have confidence we can play with anyone, which I don't think we had last year."

The Aggies host Colorado this week and play at Baylor on Oct. 30 before finishing the season against Oklahoma, Texas Tech and Texas.

But for now, the Aggies are on equal Big 12 South footing with second-ranked OU, which is stunning even to some players.

"That feels great because last year at this time, we were last," wide receiver Jason Carter said. "I can't even explain how it feels."

Texas (5-1, 2-1) had a 28-20 home win over Missouri, but there is more than mild dissatisfaction with the passing game. Starter Vince Young was 3-of-9 with two interceptions before coming out late in the first half with an injury.

Chance Mock took over and was 4-of-10. Combined, Young and Mock passed for 58 yards.

In the last two games, the UT offense has generated two sustained drives that led to TDs.

Texas plays this week at Texas Tech, where quarterback Sonny Cumbie throws for 58 yards on nearly every scoring drive.

Though Texas' Cedric Benson rushed for 150 yards and two TDs Saturday, if teams can ignore the UT passing game, it will be harder for Benson to excel.

"It was just evident that our passing game wasn't in sync for the second week in a row," Texas coach Mack Brown said. "That is a concern, and one that we have to get fixed."

There is some speculation Mock might replace Young as the starter as the annual Longhorns quarterback carousel heats up again. Brown was asked Sunday if he thought Young's performance is more of a confidence issue or a communication issue with his largely inexperienced receivers.

"I think one is tied into the other," Brown said. "This is a year where we are growing. It has been tough growth here with our young receivers. It's been tough for everybody to get on the same page. We've just got to keep working on it."

Baylor (2-4, 0-3) ran into the wrong team at the wrong time Saturday, losing 59-27 at Nebraska one week after the Cornhuskers lost to Texas Tech 70-10. Though Nebraska led 31-3 at the half, Baylor cut the lead to 31-17 midway through the third quarter.

Baylor quarterback Dane King threw for a career-high 281 yards, and the Bears had a season-high 400 total yards but it wasn't enough. Nebraska scored 28 points in the final 22 minutes and turned the game into a blowout.

"For the whole third quarter, we played pretty well," Baylor coach Guy Morriss said. "We played about one quarter out of four, and that was about it."

The Bears host Iowa State on Saturday. Both teams have double-digit conference losing streaks. Iowa State has lost 13 straight games in the Big 12; Baylor has lost 10 in a row.

Rice had a tough start to a three-game road trip, losing to Nevada 35-10. The Owls (3-3, 2-2 Western Athletic Conference) play at Navy in a non-conference game and at Tulsa their next two games. Rice has given up 140 points in its last three road games, all losses.

Quarterback Greg Henderson and backup Joel Armstrong combined to rush for 184 yards, but the Owls passed for only 57 yards and turned the ball over twice.

[email protected]

Duff McCartney
10-18-2004, 12:04 PM
Better live it up while it lasts...they're gonna get blasted in Norman.

Jimcs50
10-18-2004, 12:06 PM
Better live it up while it lasts...they're gonna get blasted in Norman.

I will bet you double or nothing what you we me that the Ags do not lose in Norman this year in football. Ok?

2pac
10-18-2004, 12:10 PM
I will put down everything I have that says A&M doesn't even give up a touchdown this year in Norman.

Jimcs50
10-18-2004, 12:19 PM
I will put down everything I have that says A&M doesn't even give up a touchdown this year in Norman.

I will bet a year's salary that the Ags do not even give up a first down to Oklahoma in Norman this year.

Marcus Bryant
10-18-2004, 03:20 PM
Dumbass.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-18-2004, 03:36 PM
Duff,

Whatever you want to bet, I will. OU will not score a SINGLE POINT in Norman. Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Zero.

Spurminator
10-18-2004, 04:52 PM
I'll bet OU does not gain a single yard of offense in Norman.

maxpower
10-18-2004, 05:16 PM
Bandwagoners... :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-18-2004, 07:06 PM
Screw bandwagon, go check out the vbookie from last weekend and see who put the most down on the Ags.

:flipoff

I'm still waiting for Duff to take the bet, he can name whatever he wants.

Man Mountain
10-18-2004, 07:27 PM
Aggies rule. I predict OU will give up their football team after the whuuuuuuping A&M gives them. NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP HERE WE COME. :elephant

maxpower
10-18-2004, 07:50 PM
Screw bandwagon, go check out the vbookie from last weekend and see who put the most down on the Ags.

:flipoff

I'm still waiting for Duff to take the bet, he can name whatever he wants.

Come on. As an old Ag, you should realize my comment was about the only Bandwagoner in this thread...And it's not someone with the handle Aggie. :hat

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-18-2004, 08:46 PM
My bad, don't know where everyone's allegiance lies here yet.

maxpower
10-18-2004, 09:18 PM
I'd think my sig would give it away.

Duff McCartney
10-18-2004, 09:46 PM
I will bet you double or nothing what you we me that the Ags do not lose in Norman this year in football. Ok?

You got it Jim.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-18-2004, 10:09 PM
Duff,

Can I get in on that? Howabout if the Aggies shut out Oklahoma in Norman, I get two playoff tickets paid for by you (for Spurs).

I'll return the favor, if OU scores on A&M in Norman, I'll buy you two tickets. Anywhere in the building.

Duff McCartney
10-18-2004, 10:37 PM
Duff,

Can I get in on that? Howabout if the Aggies shut out Oklahoma in Norman, I get two playoff tickets paid for by you (for Spurs).

I'll return the favor, if OU scores on A&M in Norman, I'll buy you two tickets. Anywhere in the building.

Nah that's cool..playoff tickets? What are you insane? But nah I'll just stick to Jims bet.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-18-2004, 11:50 PM
Hey, I've got faith in my team. I guess you don't have faith in OU.

If playoff tickets are too much for ya, we could pick any spring Spurs game, lots of good home matchups to pick from.

2pac
10-19-2004, 12:02 AM
AHF can vouch that I am no bandwagoner.

Jimcs50
10-19-2004, 11:16 AM
Duff, you now owe me $1600.00

FYI:

Ags play Oklahoma at home this year. :)

maxpower
10-19-2004, 11:57 AM
Bandwagoners don't sweat the details...it's all about the winning record.

AgSnake361
10-20-2004, 02:17 AM
Duff, you now owe me $1600.00

FYI:

Ags play Oklahoma at home this year. :)

Jim,

You broke it to him too soon. You shoulda let the wagers increase up until the Baylor game. :D

And i was gonna see if i could get him to pony up for air fare for me from Sioux Falls to SA and tickets to a spring Spurs game.

Marcus Bryant
10-20-2004, 08:09 AM
Jim should've asked Duffer for his money back (not that he's going to get it anyways).