PDA

View Full Version : Math skillz 2006

AlamoSpursFan
07-05-2006, 07:58 AM
Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried. Why do I tell you this?

Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s:

1. Teaching Math In 1950

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit?

2. Teaching Math In 1960

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

3. Teaching Math In 1970

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

4. Teaching Math In 1980

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Math In 1990

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers.)

6. Teaching Math In 2006

Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la producciones es $80.

dougp
07-05-2006, 08:07 AM
Ah, that one was great ... and true :\

mcornelio
07-05-2006, 08:09 AM
i posted this months ago

AlamoSpursFan
07-05-2006, 08:19 AM
Sorry...I must have missed it.

CharlieMac
07-05-2006, 08:59 AM
I don't know, but I'll probably grab a whopper today.

BurgerKing
07-05-2006, 11:42 AM
She's gone!! Have it your way.

NorCal510
07-05-2006, 11:46 AM
ninja im a boss at math u dont wanna see me when it comes to dat

E20
07-05-2006, 03:11 PM
That's happend to me before. Where the guy gives you more money after the transaction. I always refuse. I'm like fuck you if you don't wanna carry any extra change.

pache100
07-05-2006, 03:25 PM
The other day, I went into a convenience store to get a cup of coffee. It came to 78 cents. I gave the guy a dollar bill and 3 pennies. He gave me 5 nickels for change. WTF? Do people not grasp the REASON you round down to the next quarter (or whatever) with pennies? If I wanted a handful of coins for change, I'd just have kept my three pennies and let him change the dollar. I wanted 1 quarter, dammit!

It is shocking to me that they do not teach basic math skills in school any longer that are sufficient to enable cashiers to make change. Most of them cannot make change without the register telling them how much to give back to you. If you give them any coins after they total out, forget it. If I owned my own business, I would not hire ANYONE who didn't have sense enough to make change the old-fashioned way. Come back and see me when you can make change for $5.29 from a $10 bill. Maybe I'd have classes on how to do it.

I did notice that at the Bill Miller that I go to, they have quit using the automatic changer (with the little bowl at the bottom) and the cashiers all know how to make change now. And, they count it back to you the old-fashioned way, not just what the register says. Kudos to that manager.

What do you all think of the idea of getting rid of pennies altogether? It's come up again and again over the years and looks like it's being revived. I don't really have a problem with it. A lot of the gas stations and convenience stores that I go into already do it; if you should get 48 cents change, they will give you 50 cents...but if you should get 53 cents, they only give you 50 cents. If they don't say anything, I don't say anything. But, a counter gal at Chick Fil-A asked me one day, "Do you want your penny?" I asked her, "Did you want your $5?"

Gatita
07-05-2006, 04:10 PM
Cashiers don't count money back anymore. They expect the register to figure it out for them.

E20
07-05-2006, 04:22 PM
Cashiers don't count money back anymore. They expect the register to figure it out for them.
Why would they? Makes it faster for both of them.

DieMrBond
07-05-2006, 08:07 PM
In Australia we obviously don't have nickels, dimes, pennies, whatever...

But we used to have 1cent, 2cents, 5cents, 10cents, 20cents, 50cents, 1dollar, 2dollars, 5dollar note, 10dollar note, 20dollar note, 50dollar note, 100dollar note.

They dumped the 1cent and 2cents ages ago. Now they just round.

MUCH EASIER.

Conform.

Boris
07-05-2006, 08:10 PM
what's the big freakin' deal about getting change?