PDA

View Full Version : Anyone likes G Wallace?

TOP_MODEL_M
07-05-2006, 11:03 AM
Hey guys,

I've been wondering what you think about Gerald Wallace? Wouldn't he be a perfect fit as a long 3? Now that the Bobcats have drafted Morrison I don't think he'd be out of reach and he's not getting paid too much ( about $ 5 mil/ 3 years ). The only problem seems to be that other teams would probably have someone better to offer in a trade...I'm especially interested in Kori's opinion. Thanx.

As for the offseason, I think the FO have something in mind, and I know better than to be mad at them for being slow. One thing that's obvious is that they don't want to commit to long term contracts, so in that matter I think Jamal Magloire could be had in a trade, and then have much more money for next summer which will be far superior in terms of FAs available. I've never liked the idea of getting Pryz only cuz he's the best available FA right now. Besides they seem to have a lot of trust in Javtokas and (maybe) Oberto and Mahinmi.

cheguevara
07-05-2006, 11:06 AM
He is pretty popular which means he will demand more $$ than he deserves and pretty soon will be overpayed.

Kori Ellis
07-05-2006, 11:08 AM
I think he'd be a good fit, but don't think they are looking to trade him even with Morrison there.

Quadzilla99
07-05-2006, 11:13 AM
He is a stud. Ridiculous block and steal numbers for a sf.

JamStone
07-05-2006, 11:33 AM
G-Wall is athletic enough to play the 2-guard. And, with Adam Morrison's scoring ability, Wallace's lack of shooting range is not as much of a problem. Wallace can also fit in at power forward if the Bobcats want to go small. Wallace is a bargain at his salary, and it would likely take a great deal to trade for him. I would guess the Spurs don't have the assets to acquire him from Charlotte.

Quadzilla99
07-05-2006, 11:46 AM
He's the kind of guy like a Kirilenko that could fit in on any team, unselfish, an impact defensive player, good finisher, able to defend multiple positions, doesn't need a lot of touches to impact a game, good shot selection (53.8% fgp last year), good fast break player, does just about everything well. If he became available 29 teams would want him just a very good underrated player.

SenorSpur
07-05-2006, 11:49 AM
G-Wall is athletic enough to play the 2-guard. And, with Adam Morrison's scoring ability, Wallace's lack of shooting range is not as much of a problem. Wallace can also fit in at power forward if the Bobcats want to go small. Wallace is a bargain at his salary, and it would likely take a great deal to trade for him. I would guess the Spurs don't have the assets to acquire him from Charlotte.

The Spurs don't have quite the necessary assets to acquire anyone of substance.

NBA Junkie
07-05-2006, 12:00 PM
I don't get the fascination with Gerald Wallace. He lacks a perimeter shot, he doesn't defend very well, and turns the ball over way too much.

He's a good hustle player who's allright on finishing the break and is a solid offensive rebounder but that is about it.

In a nutshell: Bowen>>Wallace

'Nuff said.

Kori Ellis
07-05-2006, 12:01 PM
He doesn't defend well? He's 6'7 and averaged over 2 blocks and 2.5 steals a game. He also averages less than two turnovers in 35 mpg.

Quadzilla99
07-05-2006, 12:06 PM
He shot 53.8% last year Junkie.

NBA Junkie
07-05-2006, 12:06 PM
There's more to playing defense than blocking shots and such. He's not adept at keeping quicker players in front of him and he doesn't challenge perimeter shooters on their jumpshots. He's only an average interior defender at best.

Does anyone actually think he'd be a defensive upgrade over Bruce Bowen? I don't, but hey, that just my opinion.

JamStone
07-05-2006, 12:09 PM
He's a small forward/shooting guard. He's not supposed to be more than an "average" INTERIOR defender. He only played power forward last season because of the injuries to Emeka Okafor and Sean May.

NBA Junkie
He shot 53.8% last year Junkie.

A byproduct of his ability to collect offensive rebounds and running the break.

He's improved. But, I'll be more impressed if he was doing this for a contender rather than an expansion team.

Kori Ellis
There's more to playing defense than blocking shots and such. He's not adept at keeping quicker players in front of him and he doesn't challenge perimeter shooters on their jumpshots. He's only an average interior defender at best.

Does anyone actually think he'd be a defensive upgrade over Bruce Bowen? I don't, but hey, that just my opinion.

I don't think anyone is saying that he's a Bowen upgrade defensively. No one in the league is. But he'd be an ideal guy for Bowen to mentor. Bowen isn't going to last forever.

But I don't see how you can hate on a guy that gets almost 8 boards a game and 2 blocks when he's only a 6'7 swingman.

Offensively, his jumper is ugly, but he knows his limitations and probably only shoots from outside 25% of the time.

He's a very good all around player.

Quadzilla99
07-05-2006, 12:10 PM
Bowen's 35 he's 23. He could come off the bench now for 30 mpg and replace him when he retires. Plus he can play some SG, SF, & PF. As a matter of fact Sac. thought he was a power forward when he was there.

Bob Lanier
07-05-2006, 12:11 PM
He's not very long for a modern 3, and he doesn't make much impact defensively despite the numbers he picks up gambling (I don't place much faith in +/- statistics, but when your team's defense improves when you're off the court it's not a great sign). He's kind of like a bigger Larry Hughes, with less skill and an even worse jumpshot. Perhaps you could call him a poor man's Marion, but I don't think much of Marion either.

Quadzilla99
07-05-2006, 12:13 PM
Wow. I'm surprised there are such wide opinions on him. I guess his team's record factors into that somewhat. For my part I think he's a complete stud.

Kori Ellis
07-05-2006, 12:15 PM
Anyway ... I don't think the Bobcats are looking to trade him. But if they were, I believe the Spurs would be interested.

Ghost Writer
07-05-2006, 12:19 PM
Wallace is a poor man's Kirilenko, but unfortunately is even more injury prone than the Russian.

Great potential and very versaitle, but is never healthy.

NBA Junkie
07-05-2006, 12:21 PM
I don't hate Gerald Wallace at all. I just don't think he's all that you guys are cracking him up to be.

He's young and he has potential. The lack of perimeter shooting and his poor FT% is a red flag to me.

He's a great hustle player who would probably play a reserve role for most teams. As it is, he's a starter for an expansion team which means he'll get his minutes. It did more wonders for him than when he was in Sacramento where he was buried on the bench due to the Kings depth at the time. No doubt, Sacramento would like to have him back-as a back-up.

Spurologist
07-05-2006, 12:21 PM
would be an unbelievable signing.

JamStone
07-05-2006, 12:22 PM
his poor FT% is a red flag to me.

For the Spurs, not a problem ...

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Kori Ellis
07-05-2006, 12:23 PM
Wallace is a poor man's Kirilenko, but unfortunately is even more injury prone than the Russian.

Great potential and very versaitle, but is never healthy.

What's up?

Quadzilla99
07-05-2006, 12:26 PM
I don't hate Gerald Wallace at all. I just don't think he's all that you guys are cracking him up to be..

Nobody said you did.

He's a great hustle player who would probably play a reserve role for most teams. As it is, he's a starter for an expansion team which means he'll get his minutes. It did more wonders for him than when he was in Sacramento where he was buried on the bench due to the Kings depth at the time. No doubt, Sacramento would like to have him back-as a back-up.

You mean when he was like 15 years old in Sacto? He was 21 when he left Sacto.

SenorSpur
07-05-2006, 12:36 PM
The only hope for Wallace becoming available is the fact the Bobcats owner, Bob Johnson, is a notorious cheapskate. Perhaps he may not want to reup Wallace and decide to deal him away - though I'm sure Jordan will have some say in that.

E20
07-05-2006, 12:43 PM
I say yes to Gerald Wallace. :tu

DirkAB
07-05-2006, 12:50 PM
Way off topic, but Ghost Writer has over 1,000,000 posts under his belt??? How is this possible??

Quadzilla99
07-05-2006, 12:52 PM
^^Go to the Casper post and ask him. He and Marcus Bryant do apparently.

MI21
07-05-2006, 01:20 PM
People need to seriously think when they ask about the 1,000,000 posts. The forum has been around not even 4 years from memory. That's 250,000 posts a year, which is like 800 a day or something. Not realistic.

As for Gerald Wallace, he might be my favourite non-spur but there is no way he is a Spur next season.

DirkAB
07-05-2006, 01:48 PM
People need to seriously think when they ask about the 1,000,000 posts. The forum has been around not even 4 years from memory. That's 250,000 posts a year, which is like 800 a day or something. Not realistic.

You think everbody knows how long this site has been around jackass? It says that Ghost Writer has been a member since 1998 in his profile.

atxrocker
07-05-2006, 02:14 PM
if the bobcats are seriously entertaining offers for Wallace (which i don't believe they are) I have trouble thinking they would give up such talent for anything the spurs would be willing to trade for him. The guy is a stud, can block shots and is explosive as fuck. too bad sac gave him up, boy would he be sick on our team right now.

MI21
07-05-2006, 02:27 PM
You think everbody knows how long this site has been around jackass? It says that Ghost Writer has been a member since 1998 in his profile.

Yeah, since 1998 he has been a member of various Spurs boards.

Lets say Ghost has been posting since forums like this have existed. Let's say...hmmm..1995?

11 years...that would be almost 100,000 posts a year, somewhere around 250/300 posts every day.

Yeah, realistic, dumbass.

DirkAB
07-05-2006, 02:49 PM
Yeah, since 1998 he has been a member of various Spurs boards.

Lets say Ghost has been posting since forums like this have existed. Let's say...hmmm..1995?

11 years...that would be almost 100,000 posts a year, somewhere around 250/300 posts every day.

Yeah, realistic, dumbass.

You think I got the calculator out before I asked? I notice his post count, posted the question, recieved the answer, and now I know the story behind it. Do you think that I really believed that he made 1 million posts? I wanted the story behind it. So just STFU already.

adidas11
07-05-2006, 02:59 PM
Wallace would be a solid pickup for any team, and if he were to join the Spurs, I could see him competing for a starting spot in the rotation.

SF Wallace
PF TD
C Insert any chump
SG Manu
PG Tony

Not a bad lineup, especially considering that Bowen is getting up there in age, and the 'new' NBA makes it tougher for a player like him guarding opposition on the perimeter.

Will the Spurs pick up Wallace? Doubtful. But it's fun discussing it anyhow.

MI21
Do you think that I really believed that he made 1 million posts? I wanted the story behind it.

Yes.

SenorSpur
He doesn't defend well? He's 6'7 and averaged over 2 blocks and 2.5 steals a game. He also averages less than two turnovers in 35 mpg.

I understand that statisically, Wallace is in good company. He joins Hakeem and Big Dave as the only players in league history to average 2 blocks and 2 steals a game over a single season.

RON ARTEST
07-05-2006, 03:14 PM
I don't think anyone is saying that he's a Bowen upgrade defensively. No one in the league is.
i dont know about that, im gonna have to see artest for a full year here before i say bowen is the best defensive player in the league. i would take either one though, you cant go wrong.

Quadzilla99
07-05-2006, 03:26 PM
i dont know about that, im gonna have to see artest for a full year here before i say bowen is the best defensive player in the league. i would take either one though, you cant go wrong.

Bowen is better on quick agile guys like Kobe, Rip Hamilton, & Ray Allen. Artest is better on stronger guys like Lebron, Wade, & Bonzi. Both guys can shut people flat down though.

CharlieMac
07-05-2006, 06:16 PM
That's a true fantasy stud there.

I'd love to have that guy on this team. He's great when you watch him play.

mavsfan1000
07-05-2006, 06:34 PM
Yeah that would be a great pickup in the spurs small ball.
C Duncan
PF G. Wallace
SF B. Bowen
SG M. Ginobili
PG T. Parker.

coachmac87
07-05-2006, 06:54 PM
he will be a solid sf but hard to get minutes if from finley...and that would mean barry is gone possibly traded for each other

zeleni
07-05-2006, 07:00 PM
Gerald Wallace is I believe untouchable in Charlotte. That is he and Okafor, maybe even Brezec and Felton. They will live as a Bobcat at least till the end of their contracts, but maybe a lifetime.

SCdac
07-05-2006, 08:48 PM
Gerald Wallace is sick. Lots of potential. Him in a Spurs uni would be awesome... I think the Spurs would never be able to get him without giving up one of the "big 3", which I'm sure most (if not all) in here wouldnt do. In reality, I probaby wouldnt do it either... But, in some hypothetical deal, I'd consider a trade in which the Spurs ship out Tony Parker + either Barry, Bonner, Oberto, or the rights to Scola + maybe a future draft pick, and get back Charlotte's Gerald Wallace and Raymond Felton... It'd give us our perfect backup to Bowen-that long 3, and also an up-and-coming starting PG in Felton... I couldnt see Charlotte wanting to do this though.