View Full Version : Greg Anthony's Top 5 East Teams

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-05-2006, 01:55 PM
1 Heat
2 Bulls
3 Cavs
4 Nets
5 Pistons

Heard it on SportsCenter. I know there is some debates in those rankings.

Leetonidas
07-05-2006, 01:56 PM
Pistons > Cavs
Nets > Cavs

Bob Lanier
07-05-2006, 01:57 PM
Why not just make the Cavs #1 and get it over with?

Dunc
07-05-2006, 02:02 PM
Heat
Nets
Pistons

The only reason I put the Heat at the top of the list is because they're the defending champs. I still think they're going to be garbage, but that's just me.

The Nets should be about where they were last year, which might be good enough to take 2nd in the East.

I still say that the Pistons will remain highly competitive next year. And quite honestly, the Pistons have been proving people wrong for four years. Maybe I'm just a homer, but I don't think that they're going to suffer too badly this year. I suspect 50 wins or so in the Motor City.

Bulls are a mediocre offensive team who just got worse, Cavs are still LeBron and a bunch of scrubs, Washington could make a jump.... and the Pacers will make a jump too. Off a cliff.

DirkAB
07-05-2006, 02:04 PM
Why not just make the Cavs #1 and get it over with?

They almost eliminated the Pistons in game 6 with Ben Wallace, what do you think they would do w/o him?

awmyplace
07-05-2006, 02:09 PM
Here are mine top five East Teams:

1.Heat
2.Pistons
3.Nets
4.Cavs
5.Pistons

Quadzilla99
07-05-2006, 02:18 PM
Here are mine top five East Teams:

1.Heat
2.Pistons
3.Nets
4.Cavs
5.Pistons

OK that's settles it she's faking it.

atxrocker
07-05-2006, 02:20 PM
Heat
Bulls
Pistons
Nets
Cavs

cav's are given way too much credit in most rankings, imo. i put them @ 5 but they may have to battle it out with wizards or magic.

Wallace ²
07-05-2006, 02:22 PM
I have

Heat
Pistons
Bulls
Cavs
Nets

DirkAB
07-05-2006, 02:23 PM
Heat
Cavs
Bulls
Pacers
Pistons
Wizards
Nets

Bob Lanier
07-05-2006, 02:25 PM
They almost eliminated the Pistons in game 6 with Ben Wallace, what do you think they would do w/o him?
Who the fuck cares what they did to the Pistons? The Pistons aren't any good in the playoffs anymore, a fact which is more than proved by what they let an average Cavs team do to them. Mike Brown might be a better coach than Flip Saunders, but that doesn't mean he's anything more than decent in absolute terms. Every point guard on their roster is one-dimensional. They don't have a shooting guard who can shoot or guard anyone. They don't have a power forward at all. James still doesn't play defense. Z is a stiff, and Varejao is even worse.

They might end up a little over .500, but Danny Ferry hamstrung their roster with a shitload of bad contracts for aging, overrated players, and the ability of those players to improve is minimal. I'm not going to say they won't make the playoffs, but it's laughable to suggest that Cleveland is an impending dynasty, as ESPN is obviously itching to do.

I'd say:

Bulls-Heat-Nets-Pistons-Pacers-Cavs-Magic-Bucks.

Vinnie_Johnson
07-05-2006, 02:34 PM
I have

Heat
Pistons
Bulls
Cavs
Nets

I have Pistons

Heat
Bulls
Cavs
Anyone Else

Vinnie_Johnson
07-05-2006, 02:35 PM
Who the fuck cares what they did to the Pistons? The Pistons aren't any good in the playoffs anymore, a fact which is more than proved by what they let an average Cavs team do to them. Mike Brown might be a better coach than Flip Saunders, but that doesn't mean he's anything more than decent in absolute terms. Every point guard on their roster is one-dimensional. They don't have a shooting guard who can shoot or guard anyone. They don't have a power forward at all. James still doesn't play defense. Z is a stiff, and Varejao is even worse.

They might end up a little over .500, but Danny Ferry hamstrung their roster with a shitload of bad contracts for aging, overrated players, and the ability of those players to improve is minimal. I'm not going to say they won't make the playoffs, but it's laughable to suggest that Cleveland is an impending dynasty, as ESPN is obviously itching to do.

I'd say:

You are classic :lol

atxrocker
07-05-2006, 02:36 PM
I have Pistons

Heat
Bulls
Cavs
Anyone Else

:lmao :lmao :nope :nope that ship has sailed, buddy.

DirkAB
07-05-2006, 02:40 PM

I'd say:

Might end up a little above .500? They won 50 games last season with their second best player missing almost 50 games. You think it is about them improving as indivuals, and I think it is about them improving as a team. As a Pistons fan you should be the first to realize the possibility of a team being greater than the sum of its parts.

BTW, LeBron doesn't play defense? He's a good defender and will only get better next year. Z is a stiff, but he is still one of the only legit centers in the league. Varejao is a nice hustle player, how can you hate on that guy? It's not like he is expected to carry any kind of load.

ESPN isn't itching to declare Clevland a future dynasty, all they are saying is that LeBron is the probably already the best player in the league and will be for a long time. They don't want to declare Clevland shit, why would they when LeBron might not even be there after next year.

atxrocker
07-05-2006, 02:45 PM
BTW, LeBron doesn't play defense? He's a good defender and will only get better next year.

ESPN isn't itching to declare Clevland a future dynasty, all they are saying is that LeBron is the probably already the best player in the league and will be for a long time.

actually, despite my intense dislike of LeBron, I could unbiasely say that is definitely one of the guys weaknessess. He is a poor defender and has poor shot selection. He may get better as his career develops but right now he is not exactly known for his defensive abilities.

in regards to LeBron being the best player in the league.. well that could definitely be argued. i think dwayne wade would have something to say about that.

DirkAB
07-05-2006, 03:14 PM
actually, despite my intense dislike of LeBron, I could unbiasely say that is definitely one of the guys weaknessess. He is a poor defender and has poor shot selection. He may get better as his career develops but right now he is not exactly known for his defensive abilities.

in regards to LeBron being the best player in the league.. well that could definitely be argued. i think dwayne wade would have something to say about that.

He is an above average defender, maybe he doesn't bring he same defensive effort night in and night out, but he isn't a "poor" defender.

I'm not going to argue about who is better between Wade and LeBron because I would accept either being called the best player in the game. But there is no doubt in my mind that LeBron has more potential than Wade, but it is neck and neck right now.

E20
07-05-2006, 03:16 PM
Top 5 West teams:

1.Mavs
2.Suns
3.Spurs
4.Clippers
5.Denver

awmyplace
07-05-2006, 03:34 PM
OK that's settles it she's faking it.

:rolleyes

awmyplace
07-05-2006, 03:36 PM
Here are mine top 5 East teams:

1.Heat
2.Pistons
3.Nets
4.Cavs
5.Bulls

1Parker1
07-05-2006, 03:37 PM
1 Heat
2 Bulls
3 Cavs
4 Nets
5 Pistons

Heard it on SportsCenter. I know there is some debates in those rankings.

:wtf I'd agree to that. I can see maybe switching the Nets and Cavs, but after watching the Cavs take the Pistons to 7 this season and watching the Nets get man-handled by the Heat in 5...I'd have to agree with Greg Anthony's rankings :tu

Quadzilla99
07-05-2006, 03:45 PM
1.Heat
2.Bulls
3.Cavs
4.Nets
5.Pacers

(If they get Harrington I flop the Pacers and Nets. Pistons might really surprise though but that's my best guess for a top 5.)

1Parker1
07-05-2006, 03:48 PM
People have had the Pacers as championship contenders every season for the past 3 years...yet they have never lived up to the hype despite any major trade they've done. I'm not buying it this season. Pacers will end up exactly as they have been for the past 3 seasons. An average NBA team, outsted in the 1st or 2nd round.

Quadzilla99
07-05-2006, 03:55 PM
^^I have them as a fourth or fifth seed. Nobody here has them as a championship contender. I guess you're talking about people not here at SpursTalk.

1Parker1
07-05-2006, 03:57 PM
^^I have them as a fourth or fifth seed. Nobody here has them as a championship contender. I guess you're talking about people not here at SpursTalk.

Fourth or fifth seeds are generally considered pretty good teams who have at least a SHOT at winning the championship aren't they?

Quadzilla99
07-05-2006, 04:06 PM
Fourth or fifth seeds are generally considered pretty good teams who have at least a SHOT at winning the championship aren't they?

They have a shot, but the only seed lower than 3 I can think of is Houston in 95. I don't think Indiana will make it past the 2nd round.

mabber
07-05-2006, 04:11 PM
He is an above average defender, maybe he doesn't bring he same defensive effort night in and night out, but he isn't a "poor" defender.

I'm not going to argue about who is better between Wade and LeBron because I would accept either being called the best player in the game. But there is no doubt in my mind that LeBron has more potential than Wade, but it is neck and neck right now.

Yep, it's more about effort on the defensive end with LeBron at this point. And I also agree that LeBron has more potential than Wade but they're very close right now.

NBA Junkie
07-06-2006, 10:23 PM
People have had the Pacers as championship contenders every season for the past 3 years...yet they have never lived up to the hype despite any major trade they've done. I'm not buying it this season. Pacers will end up exactly as they have been for the past 3 seasons. An average NBA team, outsted in the 1st or 2nd round.

Has there been any other team in the NBA that has suffered more bad breaks than this one?

The Pacers would have and should have been contenders if not for the unfortunate incident in Detroit surrounding Artest and the numerous injuries that have beset players such as Jamaal Tinsley and Jermaine O'Neal the last couple seasons, not to mention the suspensions that caused O'Neal and Stephen Jackson to miss time in '05.

I'm also a believer that they would have taken out Jersey in the 1st round last season if not for Peja's untimely injury. Keep in mind that the Pacers were 0-4 in the four games he missed in that series and 2-0 when he played.

That said, I expect them to be in the playoffs next season, but are a borderline team now that Peja is gone and the question marks surrounding S-Jax and the SF position.

NBA Junkie
07-06-2006, 10:26 PM
Here's my top five. I'm basing this on the NBA's current seeding policy (a ridiculous one) where division winners get the top three seeds.

1.Cavaliers
2.Heat
3.Nets
4.Bulls
5.Wizards (barely edge out Pistons)

DirkAB
07-06-2006, 10:31 PM
Here's my top five. I'm basing this on the NBA's current seeding policy (a ridiculous one) where division winners get the top three seeds.

1.Cavaliers
2.Heat
3.Nets
4.Bulls
5.Wizards (barely edge out Pistons)

They changed that policy.

NBA Junkie
07-06-2006, 10:37 PM
They changed that policy.

Have they? I must have missed it.

Do you have a link or can you explain how it now works?

If what you're saying is true, this is a welcome change after numerous holes were shot in the seedings from this past year.

DirkAB
07-06-2006, 10:40 PM
Have they? I must have missed it.

Do you have a link or can you explain how it now works?

If what you're saying is true, this is a welcome change after numerous holes were shot in the seedings from this past year.

I was just looking for a link and couldn't find one, maybe they didn't change it. I could have swore that right before the playoffs started this year they announced that they seeding system would be changed for the 2007 playoffs. I'll keep looking.

DirkAB
07-06-2006, 10:51 PM
I guess I was wrong because it doesn't sound official yet, but I'm pretty sure that is the way that they are going for 2007. Here is a quote and a link to the article that discusses the proposed structure.

Under the new proposal, the top four seeds would be slotted by record among the three division winners and the team with the next-best record. Had that been in place this season, the Spurs still would have been No. 1, but the Mavericks would have been No. 2. And they couldn't have met until the conference finals.

The team with the better record -- regardless of seed -- would also have home-court advantage in a series under the new system.

Stern said it was important to keep rewarding division winners in the new system, which still must be approved by the league's competition committee.

"I think if you're going to have a division structure, then give some credibility to that fact," Stern said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2006/news/story?id=2446425

FreshPrince22
07-06-2006, 10:56 PM
Pistons will definately suprise people at the end of the season. I don't think we'll fly out of the gates, but Flip absolutely has to develop the bench, and considering the way Ben played in the playoffs this past year, Nazr couldn't do much worse. Also add in the fact that Sheed and Rip were hurt in the playoffs yet we still made it to the ECF and lost to the eventual champs... I think we have a shot.

NBA Junkie
07-06-2006, 11:12 PM
The Pistons #1 priority this offseason was re-signing Ben and #2 was replenishing an already weak bench.

Since Ben is gone and the entire MLE was used to sign Nazr Mohammed, the Pistons failed on both counts. There's no way Bonzi goes there now. They have no choice but to use the bench they already have. Carlos Delfino will play a more defined role, but Tony Delk and Mo Evans are gone and their frontcourt reserves ( Davis, Cato) don't figure to be in the teams long range plans. Their only hope is to find an inexpensive diamond in the rough that will improve their bench.

They'll still be a solid 50 win club. A #1 seed? No way.

It will be a familiar pattern as it is with all Flip Saunders coached clubs. He'll overplay his starters in the regular season and then they'll have nothing left in the tank come playoff time.

If they don't have homecourt in the 1st round next season, they'll be one and done.

Pistons < Spurs
07-06-2006, 11:49 PM
It's still early to really get a handle on who the top 5 may be. With that being said, I'll attempt to project and make a few assumptions. My picks may be a little out side the box to some, but I think they're more realistic than the 'media darlings' (Miami, Cleveland and Chicago) that we are currently reading and hearing about.

End of season standings based on win/loss records:

Detroit 56-58 wins--laugh if you want, but they still have more pieces and experience than anyone else ... not to mention something to prove
Jersey 54-56 wins--Jersey got the steal in the draft in Williams. He can immediatly step in as a backup to Kidd ... something that has really held this team back for awhile. Boone also will be a contributor (starter at 4 with Kristic at 5?) giving them the rebound help long needed.
Milwaukee 53-55 winsThe Bucks became legit IMO with the pickup of Villanueva. Paired w/ Bogut, they will be as solid as anyone under the basket. Redd, Simmons, Williams and Bell make for a very nice and effective backcourt.
Boston 52-54 wins--This is based upon the belief that Iverson becomes a Celtic. If he doesn't, the Celts are back to .500 basketball and fall off my list, with the Cavs being in my 5 spot.
Miami 50-52 wins / Orlando 50-52 wins (tied)Miami will start out slow. Wade may get all the free throws he wants, but Shaq will be an overweight elephant. Will they still have Zo? GP? They'll be a contender at the end of the year, but I don't expect them to run through the league in the regular season.
Orlando was one of the strongest and biggest suprise teams at the end of last year w/ wins vs Miami, the Spurs, Pistons, the Mavs and Cavs. Darko and Howard will be solid w/ rotational help from Battie. Reddick, while I don't like him, will be a nice addition. He and Jameer Nelson may strullgle defensively, but they'll funnel their assignments into the 'twin towers'.

The sexy picks of Cleveland and Chicago are more fluff than substance to me. Both teams will get close to the 50 win level, but will each struggle.

Cleveland has an aging Big Z who will be 32 yrs old. His numbers took a slight dip this year and I expect that to be more noticable next year. Eric Snow is what 33? Damon Jones is what? Oh yeah, a scrub! Their draft pick, Brown from MSU may get some play ... but not much. He's not the best ball handler, nor would you call him a playmaker. Gooden will be nothing more than a role player. Bron' will definetly win you some games. He took a step forward as the year went on, putting the team on his shoulders at the end of games ... even if needs a blind ref and a 'travel' to get to the hole. This was one area of his game that was lacking. Will be become even more of a 3 point shooter this year? or will he take what the officials appear to be giving ... freedom for athletic wing players that can penetrate. Expect him to battle Wade for most free throws taken this year. They'll be a good team. They'll be in the playoffs, and maybe even advance, but Bron' still needs help, and the Cavs didn't get him much in the offseason (notice he hasn't re-signed yet!)

Chicago will be an improved team ... but remember they only won 41 games last year. The addition of Ben can get them 10 more wins. They still have Hinrich and Gordon along w/ Nocioni and Deng. Nice pieces no doubt. They will be awesome defensively. But their problem will be scoring. As much as Ben wants the ball, he will not help in this regard. He also doesn't have a Rasheed Wallace playing along side him. PJ Brown (too old ... 37 yrs old?)and Tyrus Thomas (too young) are not the answer. They will struggle early and often to find their groove and chemistry. But once they all figure out how to play together, they'll be a tough team in the playoffs. I also expect nearly every team to utilize a Hack-a-Ben next year. Chicago was ranked 17th in FG% ... and they just got worse! Also, how will Ben deal with the big market scrutiny? The city will be expecting 60 million worth of impact. They will be a fun team to watch next year. I want to see hoe Skiles and Ben get along ... But I think they're still a year off from really making serious noise.

NBA Junkie
07-07-2006, 12:05 AM
You definitely get points for being bold!

Pistons < Spurs
07-07-2006, 12:32 AM
You definitely get points for being bold!
:spin :spin

Pistons < Spurs
07-07-2006, 10:21 PM
I still can't believe so many of you really think the Cavs and Bulls will be a top 5 team...

JealousOnesNV
07-07-2006, 10:41 PM
I still can't believe so many of you really think the Cavs and Bulls will be a top 5 team...
Why do you find that so hard? The east blows. This past season it was Detroit,Miami,Jersey,Clevland,and Washington. You cant see Chicago jumping over the Wiz? Now what I do find funny is how everybody thinks the Pistons are just gonna fall apart.

Pistons < Spurs
07-07-2006, 10:56 PM
Why do you find that so hard? The east blows. This past season it was Detroit,Miami,Jersey,Clevland,and Washington. You cant see Chicago jumping over the Wiz? Now what I do find funny is how everybody thinks the Pistons are just gonna fall apart.

You're right, of course. I guess it's not that I can't, see them in the the top 5 ... but being THE top of the 5. I just can't see either one of them being top 3, and yet most people seem to have at least one of them in the top 3.

As for everyone thinking the Pistons are just going to dissapear, I love it. Let them keep thinking that. The Pistons thrive on that stuff!

jman3000
07-07-2006, 11:16 PM
Has there been any other team in the NBA that has suffered more bad breaks than this one?

You could make a case that the T'wolves have had more:

Sealy, Joe Smith fuck up, Terrel Brandon injury, rags to riches to rags story ... etc etc.

NBA Junkie
07-08-2006, 05:09 AM
You could make a case that the T'wolves have had more:

Sealy, Joe Smith fuck up, Terrel Brandon injury, rags to riches to rags story ... etc etc.

Don't forget the Marbury trade in 1999 where he forced his way out of Minnesota when it looked as though he and KG were on the verge of becoming a great duo. Of course, looking at Marbury's track record in hindsight, I shouldn't have been surprised at the time.

The Terrell Brandon injury was actually a blessing in disguise. We were able to get Sprewell in return and despite the bad ending, it finally got the Wolves to the WCF in 2004. As solid a point guard as he was, Brandon never took an NBA team out of the 1st round of the playoffs in his career. He got to the ECF with Cleveland in 1992, but was backing-up Mark Price at the time. In addition to Minnesota he also failed to get Cleveland and Milwaukee to the second round as a starter.

What's really pathetic about Brandon is that he actually had more trade value as an injured player than he did when he was healthy.