PDA

View Full Version : Why is everyone so low on Eric Williams?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-05-2006, 08:46 PM
I just don't get this at all.

We have him for one year while we look for our Bruce Bowen replacement for the future, which is a perfect situation given that we don't want to rush that process, and who knows what we might find during the next year.

Williams is a community guy who provides plenty of hustle, energy and size (6'8, 220), and who can defend. He'll give us 15-20 quality minutes off the bench and be our new SF-version of Malik (without the poor shot selection). We can throw him at all sorts of different players defensively.

Seems that he is a perfect one-year fit for us, but no-one is talking about it. I don't get it.

Give E Williams and the front office some props for this, please. It was a good move.

NorCal510
07-05-2006, 08:49 PM
15-20 quality minutes off the bench
are u serious? hes like 45!

Marc Cuban
07-05-2006, 08:51 PM
You guys signed Eric Williams!?! I didn't know he was still playing. Man he was awesome until he gained all that weight, I still remember all those fierce battles he had with Reggie White.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-05-2006, 08:56 PM
He's a nice player.

Don't expect too much and you'll be pleasantly surprised having him come off the bench.

Sense
07-05-2006, 08:57 PM
I've seen him play... and I think he's a scrub.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-05-2006, 08:57 PM
He brings a little more physicality than a Bowen/Manu/Finley does on the perimeter players.

I guess kind of like a Devin Brown.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-05-2006, 08:58 PM
You guys signed Eric Williams!?! I didn't know he was still playing. Man he was awesome until he gained all that weight, I still remember all those fierce battles he had with Reggie White.

:elephant

furry_spurry
07-05-2006, 08:58 PM
Malcontent- big time.

Quadzilla99
07-05-2006, 09:01 PM
^^Really that's not going to fly well when you can barely play, if he was Kobe alright, but for a scrub to get attitude is not smart.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-05-2006, 09:18 PM
Um, this is INSANE.

Williams is the OPPOSITE of a malcontent - he's a quality community guy.

He is 30, not at all over the hill. He will certainly be good for 15-20 mins if Pop wants him for that.

He is not a scrub, he is a quality role player.

He is a hustle/energy guy who can defend, just what we need off the bench.

This just confirms my opinion that a lot of people don't have a clue unless the player being discussed is a star.

WE ALREADY HAVE 3 STARS.
WE NEED QUALITY COMPLIMENTARY PIECES.
ERIC IS SUCH A PIECE (for a year at least).

I'm out.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-05-2006, 09:20 PM
I am completely indifferent about williams. I'll wait until I see his ass in a spurs uni.

Kori Ellis
07-05-2006, 09:22 PM
Um, this is INSANE.

Williams is the OPPOSITE of a malcontent - he's a quality community guy.

He is 30, not at all over the hill. He will certainly be good for 15-20 mins if Pop wants him for that.

He'll be 34 in a couple weeks.

ObiwanGinobili
07-05-2006, 09:28 PM
I am completely indifferent about williams. I'll wait until I see his ass in a spurs uni.

:tu
exactly.

I defer judgement untill godness or suckines has been proven on court.
but I'm not about to get all happy in my pants about him, pre-season.

JGrice02
07-05-2006, 09:31 PM
Haven't we been looking for a replacement for Bruce for two years now? I think it is a little naive to think we will just up and replace one of the best defenders in the NBA in no time. Ideally we would have started grooming his replacement last season. We have been fortunate that Bowen is NEVER injured. That fortune could quickly change. If anything, this offseason should tell you how hard it is to find quality guys through free agency and via trades. It is no guarantee that we will find a Bowen-replacement next season. In fact I think that will be very, very difficult given that they can't even answer the simple problems in this offseason.

The Spurs have some serious questions that need to be answered and they have failed to do so this offseason (to date). Why? They seem hung up on not giving free agents 5 years because Duncan's contract is up in 4 years. I have a probem with that being a "deal breaker". Look at the Rasho situation. You can always trade a player for expiring contracts if you are worried about the cap in future years. I would like to think the Spurs had a good plan, but that plan didn't come to fruition (at least not yet).

When grades come out after this offseason the Spurs will grade out very poorly if they stand pat. Even the Mavs, who are in a much worse position with regards to the salary cap, have made a couple of great moves.

I'm not sure why people are so down on Mike James. I would love to have that guy backing up Parker and Ginobili! And he would probably be our best defender against quicker player like Terry. Now we have to find guys to guard Harris, Terry and James? That won't be easy. But hey. At least we have Bonner and Williams to shut down Dirk now. Right?

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. They have until the trade deadline to improve the roster and they will certainly need that time to make some changes. As long as Duncan, Parker and Ginobili stay healthy the Spurs will be a top 5 team. But they need a few more SOLID role players to make another title run. Here's hoping they get them...

Cant_Be_Faded
07-05-2006, 09:32 PM
Wow--well he is kind of old, but he can still contribute if he huthles.

Kori Ellis
07-05-2006, 09:33 PM
Whatever Eric Williams (or Bonner) bring to the table is a bonus. They are here only because they were a way to get rid of Rasho's contract.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-05-2006, 09:33 PM
Hell, I looked up his stats and I was sure it said 30. My mistake.

Anyway, he could play in 2004-05 when he was with Jersey, and I doubt he's slipped overly since then. And he gives us a year of serviceable bench work to find the guy we need.

Kori - what do you think will happen to Williams? Think he'll go in a trade or play this season, and if so how much?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-05-2006, 09:35 PM
Remeber also that this FA year is very poor, next year is one of the best ever - that means that the lower end of the market will probably get squeezed as teams spend all their money on top teir guys.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-05-2006, 09:35 PM
Whatever Eric Williams (or Bonner) bring to the table is a bonus. They are here only because they were a way to get rid of Rasho's contract.

You really think that's all?

Wasn't his contract 6 mill a year, aren't these two's like 4.5 mill a year? I hope we're not paying them 4.5 mill just to save 1.5 mill...and call it a day. Bonner better hit some 3's, Williams better body up on some perimeter players.

Kori Ellis
07-05-2006, 09:37 PM
Hell, I looked up his stats and I was sure it said 30. My mistake.

Anyway, he could play in 2004-05 when he was with Jersey, and I doubt he's slipped overly since then. And he gives us a year of serviceable bench work to find the guy we need.

Kori - what do you think will happen to Williams? Think he'll go in a trade or play this season, and if so how much?

They'll probably keep him around and see if he brings anything to the table. His numbers with NJ were good in 04-05. I'm not sure why he didn't get time in Toronto ... was it the youth movement or something else?

I think they'll work him out if they think he can be a good guy down the bench, they'll keep him. If not, he's a useful expiring contract that they can trade.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-05-2006, 09:38 PM
Nice post Grice.

You ought to cut and paste that into the "Now what" thread.

We will make moves to improve by the trade deadline. Management knows we have to improve, they are just not forcing it right now by signing average players to bad contracts.

strangeweather
07-05-2006, 09:39 PM

Wasn't his contract 6 mill a year, aren't these two's like 4.5 mill a year? I hope we're not paying them 4.5 mill just to save 1.5 mill...and call it a day. Bonner better hit some 3's, Williams better body up on some perimeter players.
Williams is an expiring contract. Even if he has nothing left, he's either cap relief for next summer or a midseason trade to a team seeking cap relief.

Kori Ellis
07-05-2006, 09:40 PM

Rasho had 23M left on his contract. These two have 6M combined. That's why they are here.

They would have traded Rasho for anything to get rid of his contract.

Bonner will probably be useful. But they tried to trade Rasho for Abdul-Wahad ... they would have taken anything back.

ducks
07-05-2006, 09:40 PM
hope grice knows how to copy and paste

Obstructed_View
07-05-2006, 09:41 PM
He'll be 34 in a couple weeks.
And he'll be younger than Bruce forever. (I just wanted to throw that in)

ytg3721
07-05-2006, 09:46 PM
age is serious problem

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-05-2006, 09:47 PM
He played well at 32, why not at 34? We shall see.

Man, Rasho for Abdul-Wahad??????? Isn't he playing in Israel now?

They were desperate to get rid of him!

strangeweather said "Williams is an expiring contract. Even if he has nothing left, he's either cap relief for next summer or a midseason trade to a team seeking cap relief."

Exactly. I think he'll contribute, but we can also dump him pretty easily at any time, and who knows, we could get a young SF back in return for the expiring contract. ;)

Please_dont_ban_me
07-05-2006, 09:49 PM
age is serious problem

Why?

It's not like we're looking for the next Manu. We just need a non-stiff off the bench.

Sense
07-05-2006, 10:29 PM
The guy reminds me of a less enthusiastic Malik Rose.....

So :td

SPARKY
07-05-2006, 10:37 PM
So he shows up in the playoffs?

Please_dont_ban_me
07-05-2006, 10:42 PM
So he shows up in the playoffs?

I think "playoffs" will be a new concept for him.

I think he was on that Boston team with Walker/Pierce/Battie that went to the semi-finals if I remember right.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-05-2006, 10:55 PM
How can you say he's "less enthusiastic" than Malik, you haven't even seen him play yet!

Forget about his Toronto stint - he was sent there in a trade he hated because he knew he'd be buried on the bench. More than that, he was sent away from his home and a team that had prospects, namely Jersey.

I really think he will surprise people, assuming he is not simply trade bait.

wildbill2u
07-05-2006, 11:14 PM
age is serious problem

Yep. The following players will be 30 or more next year: Bowen, Finley, Barry, Oberto, Horry, Duncan, Williams. :depressed

I think Pop is retooling.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-05-2006, 11:18 PM
Yep. The following players will be 30 or more next year: Bowen, Finley, Barry, Oberto, Horry, Duncan, Williams. :depressed

I think Pop is retooling.

Maybe we should model our roster after the Hawks.