PDA

View Full Version : Carl Crawford's steal of home!!!

Solid D
07-05-2006, 11:27 PM
:wow :wow :wow :wow :wow

Did anyone see that on Sportscenter Top Plays? Tampa Bay's Carl Crawford is on third base and he attempts to steal home on the Red Sox pitcher.

Crawford takes off for home with the pitcher still peering in over his glove and by the time the pitch leaves the pitcher's hand, Crawford is beginning his slide! As the ball crosses the plate, Crawford's entire lower body is already in the batter's box. As the ball hits the catcher's mit, Crawford's lead foot is less than 12 inches from the plate and he slides in safely as the catcher is completing the process of catching the ball.

In all my years of watching baseball, that may be the best jump of stealing home I've seen. I'm not sure of the rules on it, but technically the D-Rays had two players in the batter's box at the same time, prior to the pitch crossing the plate.

In fact, in a group of 10 of the weaker Top Plays ESPN has had in a while, this play ironically was #3. Incredible indeed!

Horry For 3!
07-05-2006, 11:32 PM
Yeah, it was pretty funny

Solid D
07-05-2006, 11:37 PM
Devil Rays 5, Red Sox 2

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) - Carl Crawford started plotting his strategy the night before, hoping for an opportunity to catch Boston off guard and steal home.

''It's the first time at any level,'' the speedy Tampa Bay outfielder said Wednesday night after stealing three bases, including home, in a 5-2 victory, the Devil Rays' third straight over the Red Sox. ''Nobody ever went to the windup with me on third base.''

That is until Curt Schilling did it Tuesday. When Jason Johnson did the same Wednesday, Crawford set his plan in motion without tipping off his manager, third base coach or even the batter at the plate, Jorge Cantu.

''I said it's going to be do or die. I'm going to take this chance right here,'' Crawford said. ''If I'm out, I'm out. If I'm safe, everybody will be happy about it.''

Crawford, who's not headed to the AL All-Star game even though he's batting .325 and leads the league with 32 steals, singled twice and drove in two runs.

In addition to stealing home in the fourth, he stole third base in the second inning and second in the fourth to become the eighth player in major league history with 200 steals before age 25.

''He's so fast, it's unbelievable,'' Boston third baseman Mike Lowell said. ''Yesterday he stole third from a standstill with both hands on his knees. Most guys, they try to get momentum behind them. He's going from a standstill.''

With Cantu batting, Crawford bolted for home when Johnson went into his windup for an 0-1 pitch. With the crowd of 15,001 rising to its feet, he made it easily, sliding into the plate before Varitek could get into position for a tag.

''He gambled and won,'' Varitek said.

''It's just a tough thing to watch,'' added Boston manager Terry Francona.

Crawford thought about trying to swipe home Tuesday, when Schilling went into a windup with the two-time AL stolen base champion on third. Tampa Bay manager Joe Maddon gave him the green light to try it if Johnson did the same.

''I timed it one time,'' Crawford said of Johnson's first pitch to Cantu. ''The second time I took off.''

Johnson allowed five runs in the first two innings of a loss to Florida in his Red Sox debut last Friday. He gave up four runs in the first two innings this time and five runs and seven hits overall in four innings.

''At the time, I felt comfortable throwing out of the windup,'' Johnson said. ''I thought about going from the stretch. ... Obviously I chose the wrong thing.''

SA Gunslinger
07-06-2006, 01:32 AM
He ain't no Jackie Robinson. J/K

That was an awesome play.

Rip-Hamilton32
07-10-2006, 12:15 AM
i beleive he stole every base to get home didn't he?