PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent: Trevor Ariza

timvp
07-06-2006, 01:33 AM
Smith also is trying to re-sign free-agent forward Trevor Ariza, and that's becoming more difficult than the Magic imagined. At least six teams have expressed interest.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/14974127.htm

This guy makes a whole lot of sense for the Spurs. He's a 6-foot-8 small forward with long arms who can really rebound the ball. He can't shoot yet but then again, he just turned 21. The Spurs need rebounders and this guy is one of the best perimeter rebounders plus he fills a need as a young swingman.

He's a restricted free agent but the Magic don't want to spend a lot of money keeping him because they are trying to move under the cap in upcoming seasons. Along with players like Reggie Evans and Jackie Butler, this should be a guy the Spurs are really trying get.

Leetonidas
07-06-2006, 01:34 AM
I like Ariza. I hope the Spurs can get him if he's available.

loveforthegame
07-06-2006, 01:40 AM
How much would it take to get him? I like him over Jeffries and he would be a cheaper option.

TDMVPDPOY
07-06-2006, 01:43 AM
who would u rather spend MLE on ? arizor or jeffries?

timvp
07-06-2006, 01:43 AM
Ariza is off the charts when it comes to defense and rebounding.

With Orlando, he averaged 11.2 rebounds per 40 minutes. His rebounding rate of 17.2 is that of a center in the league (just below that of Mohammed and Duncan). He's a good player to use at power forward in a small ball lineup because he can get out on the perimeter and defend and still come in and rebound the ball.

Speaking of defense, that is where Ariza shines. Everywhere he's been, teams have been drastically better defensively with him on the court. With Orlando, the Magic gave up 5.7 less points per 100 possessions with Ariza on the court. In the first half of the season with the Knicks, it was 5 less points. In 2004-05 with the Knicks, New York's defense was also 5 points better per 100 possessions.

If the Spurs can get this guy he'd help in the rebounding department and then would eventually become the Bruce Bowen replacement.

timvp
07-06-2006, 01:47 AM
How much would it take to get him? I like him over Jeffries and he would be a cheaper option.

Tough to know how much it'd cost to get him. He's a restricted free agent, so that automatically lowers his stock. If you offer him a multi-year deal starting between $2M and $3M, you may have a shot at stealing him.

It's a longshot, though. The Spurs have never gotten a restricted free agent in franchise history.

Perhaps an easier route would be a sign and trade but I don't know what the Magic would want. Perhaps Scola, a re-signed Melvin Sanders and cash?

Please_dont_ban_me
07-06-2006, 01:48 AM
Haven't seen enough of him, so I would prefer Jeffries.

Especially if this guys shot is as poor as advertised.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-06-2006, 01:48 AM
Then again

You guys remember Malik's jumper when he came to the Spurs? If that could be fixed/taught then I guess anything is possible.

timvp
07-06-2006, 01:49 AM
Haven't seen enough of him, so I would prefer Jeffries.

Especially if this guys shot is as poor as advertised.

His shot isn't as bad as Jeffries.

Leetonidas
07-06-2006, 01:52 AM
His shot isn't as bad as Jeffries.

Maybe not, but Jeffries is bigger. I think I'd rather have Ariza though, because he's a good defender, long, and very young. He can be taught a whole lot.

BTW, check your PM box, timvp. ;)

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-06-2006, 01:53 AM
Nice call LJ, sign him up. :D

If we could prise away Ariza and Jackie Butler for half the MLE each, then trade assets for a third PG (or sign one for the vet min), I'd call that a successful offseason. We'd have our big banger, our long defensive 3 and our veteran point.

Leetonidas
07-06-2006, 01:55 AM
Is Jackie Butler a free agent, restricted, or what? He's 21, big, and looks strong. I like that.

RogerIsEatingASandwich
07-06-2006, 01:55 AM
it sure would be nice if the Spurs could get him. Dude can rebound and defend....that's all we need....for now

timvp
07-06-2006, 01:57 AM
Is Jackie Butler a free agent, restricted, or what? He's 21, big, and looks strong. I like that.

Restricted free agent like Ariza. The Knicks could let Butler walk since they have 14 players under contract already.

whottt
07-06-2006, 01:57 AM
Nice call LJ, sign him up. :D

If we could prise away Ariza and Jackie Butler for half the MLE each, then trade assets for a third PG (or sign one for the vet min), I'd call that a successful offseason. We'd have our big banger, our long defensive 3 and our veteran point.

Well technically...if we do what you just said, we still have Barry...which makes him our 3rd PG.

whottt
07-06-2006, 01:58 AM
By the way...good idea TimVP. :smokin

And don't forget...Ariza can slam dunk like a mofo.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-06-2006, 02:04 AM
Yeah, I'm not opposed to keeping Barry either.

TP/Beno/Barry
Manu/Finley/Barry
Bowen/Williams/Ariza
Duncan/Bonner/Horry
Butler/Javtokas/Oberto

Man, that looks like a very good squad to me. :D

Wonder if it's realistic?

Leetonidas
07-06-2006, 02:08 AM
Offer 3 million to Ariza, 2 million to Butler, and I think it's very realistic.

shaggy17
07-06-2006, 02:12 AM
:rolleyes I can see our front office passing up on all these long 3's and pop trying to beg Spree to join the Spurs for half or most of the MLE. Id be shocked if the Front office actually brought in a young long 3 rather then a 36 year old short 3 who needs to feed his family :blah :drunk

whottt
07-06-2006, 02:19 AM
I'm not entirely sure Jackie Butler deserves to be making 2 million per...the guy is definitely still a project.

Leetonidas
07-06-2006, 02:21 AM
I'm not entirely sure Jackie Butler deserves to be making 2 million per...the guy is definitely still a project.

I don't think Oberto deserves 2.5 million either, but hey, if it gets him here...

Mr. Body
07-06-2006, 02:51 AM
I watched him play a lot in New York and some in Orlando. He has good talent, hustles, and would be a great bench player. He's inconsistent, disappears, and makes boneheaded plays sometimes. I'm also not sure if he's cocky and thinks he's better than he is. Nevertheless, he'd be great off the bench for any team. I don't think he'll get much better than that.

How expensive is it to get a bench player? I'd be for it.

ChumpDumper
07-06-2006, 03:00 AM
His shot isn't as bad as Jeffries.I don't know how anyone could say that when Trevor has only made four of eighteen three pointers in his two-year career.

Forty of one hundred and thirty-seven in four years seems like it's better to me, but I'm so drunk I'm having trouble typing this sentence. Draw your own conclusion. I can't be trusted.

FYI - I do like Ariza. I'm just asking a question about 3pt shooting.

Mr. Body
07-06-2006, 03:01 AM
Ariza doesn't have a good jumpshot. He can slash to the basket. That's it.

whottt
07-06-2006, 03:03 AM
How many 3 pointers did we take against the Mavs this year?

2?

Team has shooting...

We aren't going to get an All Star for 2 million per season...and Ariza is just barely 21 years old anyway.

Mr. Body
07-06-2006, 03:05 AM
People are simply pointing out he doesn't hit jumpshots that well.

ChumpDumper
07-06-2006, 03:10 AM
Hey, 4-18 in two years.

Is this good?

Just wondering. I'll almost take anyone at this point so I don't have to keep merging/locking topics.

timvp
07-06-2006, 03:20 AM
On jumpers, Ariza is about 30% for his career while Jeffries is under 25%. Ariza's not a sharpshooter but Jeffries can only dunk it or sometimes he'll knock in a three.

timvp
07-06-2006, 03:23 AM
Ariza reminds me a little bit of a young Sean Elliott. Elliott had one career three pointer before his 22nd birthday.

Mr. Body
07-06-2006, 03:23 AM
They're both trash from outside.

I'd take Ariza over Jeffries.

ChumpDumper
07-06-2006, 03:25 AM
That's a good stat LJ. I'm just wondering where guys will be lining up in a Spurs offense. The three point line comes to mind, but that's me.

Ultimately I'd take either one.

timvp
07-06-2006, 03:58 AM
Random thought:

Since Orlando is looking to trim cap space in the coming years, how about Eric Williams and cash (perhaps Scola) for Keyon Dooling or Carlos Arroyo and a sign-and-traded Trevor Ariza.

I don't know why the Magic would want three point guards and both Dooling and Arroyo have pretty bad contracts (2-years ~$8M) for a team looking to shed salary.

Mr. Body
07-06-2006, 04:04 AM
Why is Orlando trimming cap space? Grant Hill comes off the books next summer to the tune of $17M and they're still well under the luxury cap this year.

Arroyo seems to be the backup to Nelson they want.

Dooling-- why would the Spurs want him, especially at that contract? Simply to get Ariza? That would make Ariza tremendously expensive.

timvp
07-06-2006, 04:06 AM
Dooling would be a pretty good point guard for the Spurs. He has size and can play defense.

BTW, the Magic are trimming salary to get way under the cap to go after a couple max free agents.

ChumpDumper
07-06-2006, 04:06 AM
I hate to bring it up, but the "worst" contract they have is Hedo, and giving them Barry for Hedo allowing them to re-sign Ariza to a relatively short deal without giving a shit about Stevenson would almost be a perfect trade.

Mr. Body
07-06-2006, 04:14 AM
The knock on Dooling is extremely bad decision making. He's not a good point guard. Do you really see the Spurs paying this guy $7M/2 yrs after the penny pinching they've demonstrated lately?

Mr. Body
07-06-2006, 04:15 AM
Orlando would not be well served with a couple of max free agents, if that is their desire. With Howard needing touches and possibly Milicic, too, they should beware of cluttering their roster with would-be stars.

whottt
07-06-2006, 04:39 AM
I think the Magic would be interested in Barry more than any of our other bench players...they have zero shooting and not much experience at the guard spots.

Let Barry mentor Reddick for a couple of years and then his contract is up(the same year a bunch of their contracts are set to be up).

Barry could definitely help the Magic make a playoff run this year.

And contrary to what many Spursfans might think...Barry never gets left open by other teams, not even in the playoffs. He'll help keep the paint clear for Howard quite a bit...

whottt
07-06-2006, 04:40 AM
I wonder how pissed Big Otis still is at the Rockets trading him in 94-95...something like that might weigh in how much he is willing to help us.

timvp
07-06-2006, 04:43 AM
Wrong Otis.

ChumpDumper
07-06-2006, 04:45 AM
Ah, it's late/early.

whottt
07-06-2006, 04:45 AM
That's a good stat LJ. I'm just wondering where guys will be lining up in a Spurs offense. The three point line comes to mind, but that's me.

Ultimately I'd take either one.

If he's being used primarily as a PF in a small ball line up he's not necessarily going to be lining up at the 3...

And even if he does...driving from the 3 line is the absolute best part of his game.

Pop doesn't really like the Spurs doing nothing but standing out there taking threes, he never has, but he really doesn't like it now...go take a look at the Mavs series.

Things have changed...the offense is not built around Duncan liked it used to be and Pop has shown quite a bit of flexibility on offense. This isn't the same big man surrounded a by a bunch of spot up shooters team that is used to be...

Because me believe me...we had shooters coming out the wazoo this season...the best shooter squad we have ever had.

whottt
07-06-2006, 04:48 AM
Wrong Otis.

LMAO...I've been sitting here thinking Otis Thorpe every time I read Otis Smith since the day he became the full GM.

ChumpDumper
07-06-2006, 04:49 AM
That didn't convince me either way.

I'll take one of them and be happy.

whottt
07-06-2006, 04:58 AM
Point is...shooting isn't what it used to be on this team, and it's understandable why. Notice who it is saying this to you...

Looking at the teams that are going to be challenging us for the next couple of years, lack of a strong perimeter shot should not deter us from going after a dude that is a potential stud in every other aspect of the game...be it Jeffries or Ariza.

AJ snuffs our 3 shooting and Phoenix has a such a soft inside why would you want to try to outshoot them?

And I think Ariza is both better(physically) and more easily attained than Jeffries.

Mr. Body
07-06-2006, 05:03 AM
Ariza dunk (with Knicks):

[link removed]

timvp
07-06-2006, 05:04 AM
LMAO...I've been sitting here thinking Otis Thorpe every time I read Otis Smith since the day he became the full GM.

That must have been freaky.

If Otis Thorpe was a GM, he's not a guy you'd want to argue with. Bro was fierce in his prime.

TDMVPDPOY
07-06-2006, 05:09 AM
And even if he does...driving from the 3 line is the absolute best part of his game.

hey does this count as 3pts, a person say bowen drives/takesoff at 3pt line, and when his about to land, lands on duncan and td piggy him to the ring and scores the basket...... :fro

MaNu4Tres
07-06-2006, 05:10 AM
LOL...good question

ace3g
07-06-2006, 05:24 AM
technically as long as a player jumps from behind the 3 point arc and releases the ball before landing it would be a 3 pointer

ace3g
07-06-2006, 05:35 AM
[link removed]

some more Ariza highlights

ace3g
07-06-2006, 08:19 AM
Wizards Closing In On DeShawn Stevenson

Orlando Sentinel - The Washington Wizards have emerged among three suitors as perhaps the front-runner for shooting guard DeShawn Stevenson, according to the Orlando Sentinel.

Rob Pelinka, Stevenson's agent, told the Sentinel on Wednesday that three teams other than the Magic are in the hunt, and two have made offers.

The Stevenson camp expects a third offer later this week.

The offers for Stevenson from the other clubs apparently are better than anything the Magic have brought to the table so far.

Link (http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/41336/20060706/wizards_closing_in_on_deshawn_stevenson/)

this sort of relates to Ariza and the spurs because if the magic dont resign Stevenson they will have more money to offer Ariza

Mr. Body
07-06-2006, 08:40 AM
Orlando has indicated they want to keep either Ariza or Stevenson, having room for only one. Interest in Stevenson indicates they're keeping Ariza.

Which is too bad. He's a nice player. And I think I'll stop reading the boards, since all they do is get your hopes up.

whottt
07-06-2006, 08:46 AM
They've said all along they are not going to give up cap space to keep him.

I am not sure I get the logic here...whether or not they get Deshawn Stephenson has nothing to do with what they are willing to pay Ariza...

They are over the cap...losing Deshawn Stephenson doesn't automatically make Ariza worth an extra million dollar per year...the two are unrelated. The point is that the Magic aren't wanting to pay any money right now.

And guess what...Stephenson and Ariza are not interchangeable...Stephenson is a pure 2 guard and Ariza is not a back court player of any kind.

Losing Stephenson makes them have a huge hole at the 2 guard spot with only a rookie to fill it, and no back up.

They've got two Small Forwards under contract in Hedo and Grant Hill.

When you lose a SG, it does not auatomatically give you more money to sign a PG with. It increases the need for a 2guard...not money to spend on a PG. Ditto 2 guard and SF.

The two are not interchangeable and neither are Ariza and Stephenson.

Solid D
07-06-2006, 08:46 AM
Great instincts and sonar-like ability to get to the ball. Throw a ball across the living room or den and Trevor would beat your dog to the ball and bring it back to you.

Would need extra work with Chip Engelland.

Larry Brown soured on him so who knows what Larry would tell Pop and RC about him? Spurs have little to no luck with RFAs. They may have to over-pay on Trevor to get him.

Also not sure how long it would take Trevor to learn the defensive rotational scheme of the Spurs. It doesn't come easily for everybody, as we have come to find out.

Mr. Body
07-06-2006, 09:19 AM
The point is Orlando thinks they can keep only one of these two players. Losing both is not what they want. Keeping both is not what they want.

Solid D- did Larry Brown really sour on him? It was more a factor of trying to find a rotation that worked - didn't they set a record for different starting fives in a year? No doubt he's a young and bull-headed player sometimes, but he seems somewhat coachable. He certainly loves to play. And then Isiah got rid of him in the Francis trade...

ducks
07-06-2006, 09:25 AM
The Washington Wizards have emerged among three suitors as perhaps the front-runner for shooting guard DeShawn Stevenson, who started all 82 games for the Orlando Magic last season.

Rob Pelinka, Stevenson's agent, told the Sentinel on Wednesday that three teams other than the Magic are in the hunt, and two have made offers.

The Stevenson camp expects a third offer later this week. Pelinka said he could not divulge the interested teams, but an Eastern Conference executive told the Sentinel that the Wizards are one of the clubs. Pelinka had no further comment.

The offers for Stevenson from the other clubs apparently are better than anything the Magic have brought to the table so far. Teams can sign free agents starting next Wednesday. A key sticking point for Stevenson is the number of years in the offer.

Stevenson was to make $3 million next season, the final year of his contract, but exercised an option in his deal to become an unrestricted free agent. Magic General Manager Otis Smith reiterated Wednesday that the Magic want to bring back Stevenson at a "reasonable" number, which is about $3 million to $3.5 million for perhaps three years.

Pelinka wants Stevenson to make at least $4.5 million to start and a longer deal, perhaps five years. Asked if there was wiggle room, Smith said, "Not much wiggle."

Smith also is trying to re-sign free-agent forward Trevor Ariza, and that's becoming more difficult than the Magic imagined. At least six teams have expressed interest.

Last week, Orlando drafted shooting guard J.J. Redick with the No. 11 pick. Redick said he had a herniated disk in his back about two weeks ago, but Smith said he expects Redick to play in the five-day summer league. He will sign his rookie contract and take a physical before participating in the games, starting Friday at RDV Sportsplex.

The games, which aren't open to the public, will feature rookies and free agents from the Magic, Miami Heat, Chicago Bulls, New Jersey Nets, Indiana Pacers and Charlotte Bobcats. The Magic roster includes Magic guard Travis Diener, ex-Gator Matt Walsh and eight-year NBA vet Darvin Ham. Meanwhile, Orlando hired Tom Smith, an Atlanta Hawks assistant trainer, as head trainer.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...ports-headlines

Mr. Body
07-06-2006, 09:27 AM
Six teams? He'll get paid more than he's worth at this point.

That means the Spurs will back off.

Solid D
07-06-2006, 09:36 AM
The point is Orlando thinks they can keep only one of these two players. Losing both is not what they want. Keeping both is not what they want.

Solid D- did Larry Brown really sour on him? It was more a factor of trying to find a rotation that worked - didn't they set a record for different starting fives in a year? No doubt he's a young and bull-headed player sometimes, but he seems somewhat coachable. He certainly loves to play. And then Isiah got rid of him in the Francis trade...

Ariza was given his opportunities early-on by Larry Brown, with Larry cherishing the teachable moments with the piece of clay. Then he buried Ariza on the bench after a period of time.

I don't know or remember all the circumstances surrounding Brown and Ariza but I found an article that gives a flavor of it.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/story/379740p-322445c.html

Mr. Body
07-06-2006, 09:57 AM
Sounds like he fell victim to Brown's famous irritation with rookies and younger players. Ariza was anything but consistent. Still isn't, so I'm not surprised he got pushed down the rotation.