PDA

View Full Version : Rumors of Lebron to Chicago in 2007

Please_dont_ban_me
07-06-2006, 01:39 AM
I keep hearing people mention it on other forums.

Supposedly Nike offered him $200 mill up front if he goes to Chicago? Sounds ridiculous and I don't know where they would fit him under the cap...but thought I'd bring it up.

If I were him I'd stay in Cleveland. But 200 mill is a lot of money. If he feels like the Cavs aren't doing him right talent wise around him, then I could see him bolting.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-06-2006, 01:40 AM
Wait, this is 2007...so 2008? Next year is what I meant.

JMarkJohns
07-06-2006, 01:47 AM
200 million? upfront? that is A-Rod Money sucka.

has to be a red neck rumor

I believe the rumor stems from the clause that his shoe contract will double in payment (up to 200 million) if he goes to a LA, Chicago or greater New York market.

TDMVPDPOY
07-06-2006, 01:50 AM
if i was him, would he accept max with cavs and suck like KG if they are not doin anything to build around him.

is he worth 200mill deal? NO, besides america, does anyone else wear lebron shoes or buy lebrons merchandise?

jman3000
07-06-2006, 01:56 AM
It's a lame incentive to have in a contract because it basically rewards him for leaving the city. How the Hell do you think ... Clevelandites? ... feel about buying merchandise from a company that is trying to lure him away to a bigger city? Seems like a shitty thing to do IMO.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-06-2006, 02:04 AM
if i was him, would he accept max with cavs and suck like KG if they are not doin anything to build around him.

is he worth 200mill deal? NO, besides america, does anyone else wear lebron shoes or buy lebrons merchandise?

In Jordan's first few years people didn't wear his merchandise world wide either.

Sidenote: I have some pimp Lebron's. White with red trim. :elephant

Burn531
07-06-2006, 02:06 AM
The suicide rate in Cleveland would be threw the roof.

JMarkJohns
07-06-2006, 09:49 AM
At this point, LeBron has two options if he's wants to leave. Pitch a fit next year and force a sign-n-trade. Cleveland might not great one and WILL match any offer sheet made to him. If Cleveland doesn't budge on a sign-n-trade, then James will have to take the qualifying offer and become an unrestricted FA in 2008.

Once in 2008 he could sign with a big market club for three years at the MLE money. Meanwhile, his shoe deal doubles to make up the difference and then in three years, said team will own his Bird rights and will be able to sign him to the MAX.

For LeBron it's almost the difference of staying put in Cleveland and making close to 200 million from Nike and the NBA contracts in the first 10 years of his career or heading to a major market in 2008 and making closer to 350 million in the first 10 years of his career.

A team like New Jersey (soon to be Brooklyn), the LaLas or Chicago would all be ideal since they can compete as well as give him the give money. The Knicks can really only offer the big money.

On a side note, it would be interesting if his contract clause was extended to include Miami. Sure, it's a smaller market, but it's a very wealthy and very fashion aware market. It's pure glamour and with Wade alongside, you'd have to think the team could win Titles, thus bolster their image as winners and create a HUGE buzz that would be as beneficial to the shoe deal as a larger market city such as New York, Chicago or Los Angeles. If Wade was with Nike, this would be a no-brainer...

NBA Junkie
07-06-2006, 10:39 AM
I love conspiracy theories like these only because they'll get put to rest in the next couple of months.

Just something ridiculous to talk about since he hasn't signed-YET!

JMarkJohns
07-06-2006, 10:47 AM
I love conspiracy theories like these only because they'll get put to rest in the next couple of months.

Just something ridiculous to talk about since he hasn't signed-YET!

They are a bit outlandish, but they are certainly not without a base. The clause is there and the rules do permit the scenerio I laid out above.

It can be done, which is why the rumors...

Still, I'm of the line of thought that is shouldn't happen and that it most likely won't. Still, Carmelo stayed, Wade stayed, Bosh is rumored to be staying...

What's he waiting for?

NBA Junkie
07-06-2006, 10:53 AM
They are a bit outlandish, but they are certainly not without a base. The clause is there and the rules do permit the scenerio I laid out above.

It can be done, which is why the rumors...

Still, I'm of the line of thought that is shouldn't happen and that it most likely won't. Still, Carmelo stayed, Wade stayed, Bosh is rumored to be staying...

What's he waiting for?

Why rush?

It's not like the season starts tomorrow. He probably wants to stay away from the business side of basketball and prepare for next season.

I predict he signs just prior to training camp.

JMarkJohns
07-06-2006, 11:20 AM
lebron and howard together would destroy, ruin, kill, destroy the league for the next 15 years with rings and final's appearances.

I'd actually say the same for Wade and LeBron. True, they wouldn't have a big man, but if the above scenerio took place, after all this role players contracts expire (along with Shaq's massive one), then with Wade signed for the MLE for three years, the Heat would have significant enough CAP space to offer a big a MAX deal, then turn around a few years later with both Wade and the big locked up, offer James a MAX deal to boot.

NBA Junkie... You're probably right. A lot of times the players are on a month-long vacation come this time of year and those under contract don't feel the rush to sign immediately.

He can get the same money next season if he wanted, so it's not a HUGE issue.

CavsFan89
07-06-2006, 11:21 AM
Its all a lie...It doesnt double.

DirkAB
07-06-2006, 11:23 AM

I don't know if it doubles, but I know that there is a clause that increases his Nike deal considerably for going to L.A., NYC, or Chicago.

BTW, I could see him ending up with the Clippers.

Obstructed_View
07-06-2006, 11:33 AM
I don't know if it doubles, but I know that there is a clause that increases his Nike deal considerably for going to L.A., NYC, or Chicago.
Somebody will challenge contracts like that at some point and make them illegal. It's basically tampering. If the Cavs aren't allowed to match an endorsement contract that encourages a top draft pick to leave, then it'll kill professional sports.

atxrocker
07-06-2006, 01:19 PM
fuck bron

DirkAB
07-06-2006, 01:41 PM
fuck bron

How anybody could hate on LeBron or Wade is beyond me. They are the Anti-Kobes.

JMarkJohns
07-06-2006, 01:46 PM

Cleveland Plains Dealer confirmed the clause...

SportingNews is discussing it in print and on their blog pages.

It's real.

Kenneth Lay
07-06-2006, 01:46 PM
“It's been very interesting. We've seen a lot of interesting testimony. We've seen a lot of interesting people, a lot of allegations, a lot of lies, a lot of misinformation and some truth.”

Please_dont_ban_me
07-06-2006, 02:03 PM
“It's been very interesting. We've seen a lot of interesting testimony. We've seen a lot of interesting people, a lot of allegations, a lot of lies, a lot of misinformation and some truth.”

Didn't you pass away a few days ago?

Please_dont_ban_me
07-06-2006, 02:06 PM
Why rush?

It's not like the season starts tomorrow. He probably wants to stay away from the business side of basketball and prepare for next season.

I predict he signs just prior to training camp.

The rush is, other players signings depend on him signing his extension.

The Cavs have openly said they're putting off Gooden's signing until they finalize Lebron's deal. I'm sure it's the same way with other players considering going there. Him taking his time is hurting the team he so desperately wants to improve so they an deep in the playoffs.

CavsSuperFan
07-06-2006, 03:28 PM
Everyone Needs To Relax... (http://swerbsblurbs.com/article_detail.php?id=549) :smokin

LeBron James isn't going anywhere...

Quadzilla99
07-06-2006, 03:33 PM
Talk about not being afraid to have pressure put on you, damn that's like choosing to replace Babe Ruth. What number should he wear in Chicago if he goes there? I'd like 32 for "The Chosen One".

atxrocker
07-06-2006, 03:34 PM
Everyone Needs To Relax... (http://swerbsblurbs.com/article_detail.php?id=549) :smokin

that article makes me wanna fucking puke. he is making bron out to be an angel, when he has no idea what he does behind closed doors. what fucking propoganda. sounds more like another lebron advertisement than news article.. the writer should be shot.

DirkAB
07-06-2006, 03:35 PM

If LeBron doesn't accept the extension then that writer is going to look like a total jerk off. What a dipshit, why would anybody be so overconfident about this? The people in Clevland should be on pins and needles until he resigns.

DirkAB
07-06-2006, 03:37 PM
that article makes me wanna fucking puke. he is making bron out to be an angel, when he has no idea what he does behind closed doors. what fucking propoganda. sounds more like another lebron advertisement than news article.. the writer should be shot.

Why do you hate LeBron? Seriously, how is this possible? I don't see anything in his persona that is worthy of hate.

atxrocker
07-06-2006, 03:44 PM
Why do you hate LeBron? Seriously, how is this possible? I don't see anything in his persona that is worthy of hate.

It's very possible. His arrogance, conceit and general attitude that he deserves to be given eveything on a silver platter make it quite easy for me. Guys like Amare, Dwayne, Dwight, Gilbert and others are likeable and classy enough that any grudges against them would be unjustified. Everybody thinks LeBron is the second fucking coming and well.. uh, he's not. He is talented, don't get me wrong. I don't take anything away from his game, he is a very skilled athlete. I just fucking hate the guy. Furthermore, I am still of the opinion that he will never win SHIT.

CavsSuperFan
07-06-2006, 03:53 PM
http://www.schwartzbooks.com/mas_assets/full/0312349920.jpg

King James: Believe the Hype, The LeBron James Story... :smokin

kingsfan
07-06-2006, 04:03 PM
I can't stand him either. There's probably more of us haters than you think.

CavsSuperFan
07-06-2006, 04:04 PM
http://www.deadspin.com/sports/thelebrons.jpg

You think you know LeBron? You Don’t!!! Meet the Lebrons....

SA Gunslinger
07-06-2006, 04:12 PM
I remember something Lebron said after game seven in the post conference interview that stood out in my mind. Before Lebron sat with the media, Mike Brown made it a point that Lebron ran out of gas at the end of game seven.

When a reporter told Lebron Mike Brown thought he ran out of gas, Lebron said no, that was not the case or something along those lines.

I thought it was an interesting answer by LBJ.

ChumpDumper
07-06-2006, 04:19 PM

LeBron James isn't going anywhere...I don't know how much faith I would put in this "sportswriter" -- he thought a six-year vet was a restricted free agent this summer.

Quadzilla99
07-06-2006, 04:22 PM
I like Lebron but everyone acts like he has the potential or a chance to be better than MJ like its 50/50-there will never be another Michael. Did you know he won a DPOY award? Just think about that...that's amazing with all the offensive numbers and statistics he put up he was still considered the best defensive player in the league one year. Jerry West said he was the best defensive player in the NBA over and over during his career. I'll be dating Jessica Biel before Lebron wins DPOY.

leemajors
07-06-2006, 04:24 PM
lebron can pop-lock, i can respect that.

BillsCarnage
07-06-2006, 04:37 PM
For LeBron it's almost the difference of staying put in Cleveland and making close to 200 million from Nike and the NBA contracts in the first 10 years of his career or heading to a major market in 2008 and making closer to 350 million in the first 10 years of his career.

I've also heard that Tim Thomas was recently hired on as his PR/Financial advisor.

picnroll
07-06-2006, 04:52 PM
It'd be nice if NBA fans, in fact sports fans in general, would boycott Nike if they try to manipulate sports leagues like this.

CavsSuperFan
07-06-2006, 04:59 PM
No way would Lebron go to a team like the Bulls...He will stay in Cleveland (where he will remain King James)....Or MAYBE sign with a team like the Lakers, where the fans just come to the games for the entertainment value and don’t put any pressure on the players to win.... :lol

Please_dont_ban_me
07-06-2006, 05:10 PM
I like Lebron but everyone acts like he has the potential or a chance to be better than MJ like its 50/50-there will never be another Michael. Did you know he won a DPOY award? Just think about that...that's amazing with all the offensive numbers and statistics he put up he was still considered the best defensive player in the league one year. Jerry West said he was the best defensive player in the NBA over and over during his career. I'll be dating Jessica Biel before Lebron wins DPOY.

Wade is a better defender.

Maybe an overall better player.

Probably a better comparison to Jordan as well playing style wise. (Yes, I realize I'm not the first person to say that...but I thought I'd repeat it).

DirkAB
07-06-2006, 05:19 PM
It's very possible. His arrogance, conceit and general attitude that he deserves to be given eveything on a silver platter make it quite easy for me. Guys like Amare, Dwayne, Dwight, Gilbert and others are likeable and classy enough that any grudges against them would be unjustified. Everybody thinks LeBron is the second fucking coming and well.. uh, he's not. He is talented, don't get me wrong. I don't take anything away from his game, he is a very skilled athlete. I just fucking hate the guy. Furthermore, I am still of the opinion that he will never win SHIT.

I think that in a nutshell you hate the hype that surrounds him, which translates into you hating him. Because if you are basing it on arrogance and conceit then you would hate the NBA in general, because the league is full of it. Do you hate Kobe? Easily the most hatable player in the league.

Obstructed_View
07-06-2006, 05:28 PM
Lebron James is awesome. Anyone that thinks otherwise knows nothing about basketball. Nike and the media hype machine are disgusting. Anyone that thinks otherwise is probably profiting from it. Absolute power corrupts absolutely, yet Lebron is still a pretty likeable dude.

And the city of Cleveland should be scared shitless right now. The motherfucker has a phone. If he hasn't said anything yet, it means something.

atxrocker
07-06-2006, 05:36 PM
Lebron James is awesome. Anyone that thinks otherwise knows nothing about basketball. Nike and the media hype machine are disgusting. Anyone that thinks otherwise is probably profiting from it. Absolute power corrupts absolutely, yet Lebron is still a pretty likeable dude.

And the city of Cleveland should be scared shitless right now. The motherfucker has a phone. If he hasn't said anything yet, it means something.

Lebron james game is awesome. one does not have to be of the opinion that the guy himself is awesome to "know anything about basketball". His personality and character only factor into his likeability, not his skill on the court. I acknowledge that he is an exceptionally gifted athlete, and have always admitted as much. I choose not to like him for reasons outside of his game. Though it should be noted there are still areas he has to develop to perfect his game. Still, my issues with Lebron have nothing to do with his ability to be effective on the court. While I agree Nike and the media play a big role in his over-exposure, I still can't help but think that LBJ is a piece of shit. I don't like the guy and it has nothing to do with basketball acumen as it does judgment of character.

Quadzilla99
07-06-2006, 05:47 PM
I like Lebron a lot just not when they compare him to MJ. The only thing those two got in common is they're both black. MJ won a DPOY award. For a perimeter to do all the things he does on offense and still have the energy to run all over the court and get steals and blocks (Jordan holds the record for most blocks in a season, most blocks per game in a season, and most blocks in a career by a guard) combined with all the offensive numbers and records he put up, that is one of the most amazing things in all of sports to me. A big guy can win a DPOY award by working in a small area in the paint. A perimeter guy has to expend of ton of energy running all over the court shutting down players, getting steals, and blocking shots. He played defense like Bruce Bowen and Michael Cooper and was the best offensive player maybe ever that's just ridiculous.

Lebron is at best an average defensive player. However I do like him a lot: him and Wade just seem like really good guys. They both seem like they have a good head on their shoulders. I really couldn't imagine them giving their coaches problems or getting in trouble off the court. I mean how could you not like Lebron or Wade? Especially considered they haven't really gone to battle with the Spurs. (Once or if they play the Spurs in the playoffs I'll probably start hating them just human nature.)

Obstructed_View
07-06-2006, 06:07 PM
Lebron james game is awesome. one does not have to be of the opinion that the guy himself is awesome to "know anything about basketball".

Typically when I say someone is awesome, I mean their game is awesome. I wouldn't think to judge someone I've never met, and it never occurred to me that you would understand my statement to mean that. He lacks a lot of things that Jordan had, but if he plays ten more seasons and never improves a lick, he's in the hall of fame. You cannot say that you are a basketball fan and not enjoy watching the kid play, even if you root against him.

SequNets
07-06-2006, 06:11 PM
Cleveland blows.

NBA Junkie
07-06-2006, 09:00 PM
The rush is, other players signings depend on him signing his extension.

The Cavs have openly said they're putting off Gooden's signing until they finalize Lebron's deal. I'm sure it's the same way with other players considering going there. Him taking his time is hurting the team he so desperately wants to improve so they an deep in the playoffs.

I don't see it that way. If Drew Gooden was such an important part of the team, why would it matter whether or not Lebron signs his extension?

Lebron isn't going anywhere. Now that this whole thing is out, do you guys honestly think that he's going to let this distraction hang over his head for the next two seasons as his career and the Cavs future is on the rise? Me thinks not. On and off the court, this guy has proven that he is mature beyond his years. That ain't gonna change. His future is in Cleveland.

This whole thing is much ado about nothing.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-06-2006, 09:02 PM
I don't see it that way. If Drew Gooden was such an important part of the team, why would it matter whether or not Lebron signs his extension?

Lebron isn't going anywhere. Now that this whole thing is out, do you guys honestly think that he's going to let this distraction hang over his head for the next two seasons as his career and the Cavs future is on the rise? Me thinks not. On and off the court, this guy has proven that he is mature beyond his years. That ain't gonna change. His future is Cleveland.

This whole thing is much ado about nothing.

It's now how you or I see it...I'm just saying what the sources have said. :D

That's your opinion. He might very well stay. But don't play it like he has no incentive to leave...he does. Willl he? He knows...I don't read minds.

NBA Junkie
07-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Sure the incentive is there. That's not the issue.

I think he's smart enough to know that risking such a move would damage his career and tarnish his reputation in the eyes of the fans.

Even if he wanted to go to Chicago, New York, or LA, all of those teams would be well over the cap by that time. A sign and trade could be possible, but what pieces could possibly be offered in exchange for Lebron? More importantly, why would the Cavs want to do a sign-and-trade with a division rival?

DirkAB
07-06-2006, 09:15 PM
Lebron james game is awesome. one does not have to be of the opinion that the guy himself is awesome to "know anything about basketball". His personality and character only factor into his likeability, not his skill on the court. I acknowledge that he is an exceptionally gifted athlete, and have always admitted as much. I choose not to like him for reasons outside of his game. Though it should be noted there are still areas he has to develop to perfect his game. Still, my issues with Lebron have nothing to do with his ability to be effective on the court. While I agree Nike and the media play a big role in his over-exposure, I still can't help but think that LBJ is a piece of shit. I don't like the guy and it has nothing to do with basketball acumen as it does judgment of character.

What the hell has LeBron done to warrant the character assissination? A piece of shit? I can see maybe disliking him, some people just rub you the wrong way, but to be that extreme about it I find strange. He's a good kid, there is nothing that indicates otherwise.

atxrocker
07-06-2006, 09:28 PM
What the hell has LeBron done to warrant the character assissination? A piece of shit? I can see maybe disliking him, some people just rub you the wrong way, but to be that extreme about it I find strange. He's a good kid, there is nothing that indicates otherwise.

Look man, I guess we will have to agree to disagree then. You think he is a decent guy, I don't. You like him, I don't. I suppose he is good for the league in that some bandwagon fans follow the NBA soley because of him, but he does rub me the wrong way and for that I have no apologies.

Quadzilla99
07-06-2006, 09:59 PM
You think he is a decent guy, I don't.

It's alright for you to not like him but to act like he is a bad guy or a prick when you can't name one incident or report that he has been an asshole is ridiculous.

DirkAB
07-06-2006, 10:22 PM
Look man, I guess we will have to agree to disagree then. You think he is a decent guy, I don't. You like him, I don't. I suppose he is good for the league in that some bandwagon fans follow the NBA soley because of him, but he does rub me the wrong way and for that I have no apologies.

I'm not looking for an apoligie, I'm looking for an explanation. You obviously have a very strong opinion about him, I would really like to know how you came to that opinion.

Obstructed_View
07-07-2006, 09:40 AM
I'm not looking for an apoligie, I'm looking for an explanation. You obviously have a very strong opinion about him, I would really like to know how you came to that opinion.
Black man with money.

Sportcamper
07-11-2006, 10:51 AM
James agrees to extension with Cavaliers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AuAZnZ5Rkf5aY7kEq7mNify8vLYF?slug=ap-cavaliers-james&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Did anyone see this coming? I was certain that Lebron really wanted to play in Sacramento..... :smokin

Spurologist
07-11-2006, 12:38 PM
Has he already wasted the 100 mil he got from NIKE before even entering the league