PDA

View Full Version : one more trade for hornets and one more fa signing..

ducks
07-06-2006, 09:34 AM
Team sending Brown, Smith to Bulls

By Darnell Mayberry
PJ Brown’s dream came true, and with it the Hornets were delivered their center of the future.

Carlson: Shinn showing his unsparing side
Hornets sign draft picks, waive Norris

Two and a half months after Brown expressed his desires to play for a championship contender, the Hornets on Wednesday agreed to trade the 13-year veteran to the Chicago Bulls, along with embattled guard J.R. Smith in exchange for 23-year-old center Tyson Chandler.

Under NBA rules, the trade can’t be finalized until July 12, the first day that teams can officially complete free-agent signings and trades, but Brown’s agent, Mark Bartelstein, said it’s a done deal.

“I think the trade’s going to happen,” Bartelstein said. “We’ve been thinking the last couple of years about making a move and trying to get to a team where they were really in a position to try to compete for a championship. And I think (Brown’s) got that opportunity right now with Chicago.”

The swap of Brown and Chandler, the primary players in the trade, has been on the table since before the June 28 draft. But Chicago wanted to reach an agreement with free-agent center Ben Wallace before pulling the trigger. As soon as Wallace accepted Chicago’s reported four-year, $60 million offer Monday night, Chandler became expendable.

The Bulls took two extra days before finalizing the agreement with the Hornets, as they were believed to be making one final attempt to round up a better offer, possibly for Minnesota’s Kevin Garnett. Instead, they settled on an exchange that would equally benefit both teams.

Chicago agreed to the deal mainly because Brown has an expiring contract that will pay him $8 million next season. With Chandler set to make $54 million over the next five years, the Bulls couldn’t afford to pay him and Wallace.

The Hornets meanwhile jumped at the chance to acquire Chandler, who immediately provides the Hornets with the young, agile, shot-blocking center they need to blend in with their up-tempo style. Adding Chandler, a five-year veteran, prevents the Hornets from having to rely on recently drafted big men Hilton Armstrong and Cedric Simmons to contribute much right away.

Chandler’s addition completes a one-week Hornets makeover that has suddenly turned them into a playoff contender.

After drafting Armstrong and Simmons last Wednesday, the Hornets reached an agreement with sharp-shooting forward Peja Stojakovic on Saturday, then added reserve point guard Bobby Jackson on Sunday.

With Chandler replacing Brown as the team’s starting center and Stojakovic taking over at shooting guard, the Hornets starting lineup is now complete. David West will return as the power forward, Desmond Mason will stay at small forward and Chris Paul will play point guard.

Team insiders have said that the Hornets are working on one last trade that involves disgruntled guard as well as one last free-agent signing. Both moves are expected to be completed by next week.

“It’s a great basketball opportunity to play with a bunch of young, up-and-coming guys,” Chandler told The Chicago Tribune. “That’s the thing I’m excited about. They’re moving the team in a direction that fits me well. I can help a team make the playoffs. I’ll get a chance to play with a great, young point guard.”

The Hornets also don’t lose much by adding Chandler, who has career averages of 7.1 points, 7.7 rebounds and 1.4 blocks. They’ll lose the veteran leadership of Brown, who turns 37 in October, and have quickly lost any salary cap flexibility. But Smith, the 20-year-old guard who butted heads with coach Byron Scott last year, was more potential than production.

NBA rules prohibit the Hornets from discussing potential free-agent signings and trades until July 12, so Hornets general manager Jeff Bower and Scott cannot comment on Chandler’s acquisition. Scott, however, did say that he likes how his team’s roster is shaping up for next season.

“I like the direction we’re going in,” Scott said from Las Vegas, where the Hornets will begin summer league today through July 14. “I like the things that have happened for us.

“On paper, I look at it as a much better basketball team. It seems like the guys on our team are excited about it. But paper don’t mean nothing. It’s a matter of us getting out there and competing every night.”

http://newsok.com/article/1883420/?print=1

JMarkJohns
07-06-2006, 09:41 AM
Peja a SG? I imagine only on offense. I figure Mason will guard whichever is the quickest amongst opposing SGs or SFs...

They should resign Butler or make a push for Jeffries if possible.

velik_m
07-06-2006, 09:52 AM
disgruntled guard? Macas.

furry_spurry
07-06-2006, 11:16 AM
I had read Macijauskas wants to go back to Europe.

NBA Junkie
07-06-2006, 11:19 AM
Desmond Mason will probably be moved now that Peja is on board.

I know the Hornets are very high on Kirk Snyder.

Solid D
07-06-2006, 12:03 PM
"Team insiders have said that the Hornets are working on one last trade that involves disgruntled guard Arvydas Macijauskas as well as one last free-agent signing. Both moves are expected to be completed by next week." The Oklahoman