PDA

View Full Version : The NBA's Best Center

lotr1trekkie
07-06-2006, 10:37 AM
IMO Tim Duncan will be playing most of his 38 minutes at center from here on out. Why? Tim will not have to chase 4's shooting 3's. He is our best rebounder and shot blocker. Finally, Tim creates problems for the other teams centers. He will be the league's best center next year!
:elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant
The Dallas series exposed our weakness if any team forces Tim outside and then can create bad matchups for us[ Bonzi!]. I believe that the Spurs front office knows this and that is why they let Rasho and Nazr go. IMO they are looking for a body that can give Tim 12 minutes rest a game underneath the basket. That shouldn't be too hard to find for a lot less money than a Magloire or Dalenbaert.
We have lost 2 centers who couldn't get on the court against Dallas because they couldn't cover outside. The Spurs are looking for players who can so that we don't play roullette with Tim's time.
I also seem to recall that we were one non-call [on Tim] from advancing to the finals again. We won 63 games. I believe we have the best winning percentage in the league over Tim's career. I think we should have enough confidence in a management team that has produced 3 championships.
Finally, I think that the additions of Williams and Bonner will make us better next year and that the Spurs will make another correct move so that we are again Western Conference champs and in the hunt for another title next year.

MoSpur
07-06-2006, 10:38 AM
He doesn't want to play center.

SAGambler
07-06-2006, 10:49 AM

If you are paying a guy 15 million a year to play ball, he plays where ever the fuck you tell him to play.

There's a lot of guys in the NFL that "didn't want to play" on the defensive side of the ball, but that's where they ended up playing.

MoSpur
07-06-2006, 11:06 AM
If you are paying a guy 15 million a year to play ball, he plays where ever the fuck you tell him to play.

There's a lot of guys in the NFL that "didn't want to play" on the defensive side of the ball, but that's where they ended up playing.

Fine.

waly.mg
07-06-2006, 11:09 AM

TD is a Franchise player, but heīs not stupid

The better thing for the Team is, if he play center

Manu isnīt the Franchise player, but heīs one of the Best players of the team, 2š or 3š, and he doesnīt want to play from the Bench, but when the team need it, he play from the bench, thatīs a Team player

ChumpDumper
07-06-2006, 11:13 AM
How exactly will Tim's game change if we start calling him a center?

MoSpur
07-06-2006, 11:13 AM
Then why do they keep looking for a center to start?

MoSpur
07-06-2006, 11:14 AM
Tim will move to the Center position at times, but that doesn't make him a center.

Solid D
07-06-2006, 11:17 AM
Answer: What rule says you have to list someone as Center, if people are all caught up in titles?

More teams have gone to a 3-guard lineup and they are listed that way in Box Scores. Why not revise the listings and present a 3-guard, 2-Forward lineup?

Box Score
F Tim Duncan
F Robert Horry
G Bruce Bowen
G Manu Ginobili
G Tony Parker

waly.mg
07-06-2006, 11:17 AM
The Only problem moving TD to Center, is he will never be Starter in the ASG, because the Chinesse are billions, but this isnīt a problem for the Team, is a Tim Problem

Mr. Body
07-06-2006, 11:18 AM
Box Score
F Tim Duncan
F Robert Horry
F Bruce Bowen
G Manu Ginobili
G Tony Parker

Is more like it.

furry_spurry
07-06-2006, 11:19 AM
I think that the additions of Williams and Bonner will make us better next year.
:lol

furry_spurry
07-06-2006, 11:20 AM
The Only problem moving TD to Center, is he will never be Starter in the ASG, because the Chinesse are billions, but this isnīt a problem for the Team, is a Tim Problem
He will still be called the PF. He played center almost all season this past year and Rasho should have been more correctly called the PF.

Solid D
07-06-2006, 11:21 AM
Box Score
F Tim Duncan
F Robert Horry
F Bruce Bowen
G Manu Ginobili
G Tony Parker

Is more like it.

There you go trying to categorize again. Bruce plays both G and F wing spots, as do Brent, Michael, and Ginobili. They are interchangeable in the Spurs system (as are 4s and 5s).

I'm trying to think fresh!

Obstructed_View
07-06-2006, 11:26 AM
Let's make Tim the second string point guard, but he can still start, and we'll have him cover post players and seven footers and let him post up. Two problems solved.

Darrin
07-06-2006, 11:38 AM

...And then he demands a trade out of town. He makes 15 million dollars and makes the franchise 5x that amount.

angel_luv
07-06-2006, 11:39 AM

He plays Center but calls himself a Power Forward. CIA Timmy. :lol

pache100
07-06-2006, 12:29 PM

Get a clue.

If Timmy ain't happy, ain't nobody winning a championship. He's paid his dues, in triplicate. If he wants to move to center, fine. If he doesn't, he shouldn't have to.

REDLION#22
07-06-2006, 06:52 PM
Even at the age of 34 at the twilightof his prime the NBA's best center IMO is shaquille rashaun o'neal.more than hs stats,he still has more acomplishments than any other person in the NBA.even at 34 when the shaq attack steps into the floor the entire game plan changers completeley.not to mentin:if they have to foul him all the time it means they cant stop him;)

jman3000
07-06-2006, 06:59 PM
twilight of his prime?

twilight of his career is more like it.

Quadzilla99
07-06-2006, 07:02 PM

He'll be guarded by centers all game and not just when Horry comes in. Whenever Mohammed and Rasho played he was guarded by pfs. What kind of effect this will have on our record and performance remains to be seen. Also we'll probably only have 1 shot blocker on the floor at a time then depending who we play at pf. Does that answer your question (if it was a question).

REDLION#22
07-06-2006, 07:03 PM
gary payton is at the twilight of his career,he only has 1 more year left in him.shaq still has 3 or 4(if im not mistaken) more years left in him.he just reserves himself for critical situations.

jman3000
07-06-2006, 07:04 PM
It sounded rhetorical. I think he was just stating that it is just a title and that Tim's game is not in any way connected to the title.

furry_spurry
07-06-2006, 07:32 PM
Whenever Mohammed and Rasho played he was guarded by pfs.
Not true, I saw many a game where the opponent put their center on Tim for the same reason we put Rasho on other team's PFs- eg, Olowokandi covered Tim-- not KG. And Rasho covered KG- not Tim.

Quadzilla99
07-06-2006, 07:34 PM
Not true, I saw many a game where the opponent put their center on Tim for the same reason we put Rasho on other team's PFs- eg, Olowokandi covered Tim-- not KG. And Rasho covered KG- not Tim.

You're right not always. Sometimes he was guarded by Cs when Mohammed and Rasho were in the game but most of the time pfs guarded him.

RC's Boss
07-06-2006, 08:58 PM
If Tim Plays cenetr next year, Shaq will be the 2nd best center, if not the 3rd if Yao stays healthy and plays like he did towards the end of the season.

REDLION#22
07-06-2006, 09:25 PM
are you kidding me???shaq will be the leagues best center till he retires,dont get me wrong duncan is a lso a top 3 player in the league but tim does not change the entire game plan(offensive and defensive)when he steps to the court and shaq's acomplishments are slightly better than tim's.but hold it a second yao ming?????? :lol has he ever reached the semis??? :lol

Leetonidas
07-06-2006, 09:31 PM
are you kidding me???shaq will be the leagues best center till he retires,dont get me wrong duncan is a lso a top 3 player in the league but tim does not change the entire game plan(offensive and defensive)when he steps to the court and shaq's acomplishments are slightly better than tim's.but hold it a second yao ming?????? :lol has he ever reached the semis??? :lol

Shaq is totally useless now. If Tim was listed as a center, he would easily be the best center in the NBA. Then Yao, then Dwight Howard, then Shaq. I know you're going to get mad because I said that, but if it makes you feel better, Dwayne Wade is a better SG than anyone, well, maybe even Kobe.

REDLION#22
07-06-2006, 09:45 PM
Shaq is totally useless now.

-is this the same guy that said he had what it takes to provide good info to the table...

:lmao

-dude so much shit and you are no better than me.shaq useless :lol :lol :lol

If Tim was listed as a center, he would easily be the best center in the NBA. Then Yao, then Dwight Howard, then Shaq.

^^^^^^^^^

ITS OFFICIAL,YOU ARE EVEN MORE SUBJECTIVE THAN I AM!!!!!!!!

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao!!!!!

smdanss
07-06-2006, 09:49 PM

You are not a true Spurs fan, aren't you?

Quadzilla99
07-06-2006, 10:16 PM

^^^^^^^^^

You convinced me. You know what did it? The extra exclamation points and question marks at the end of your sentences. With just one at the end of each sentence you might not have emphasized your points enough. Good job :tu.

REDLION#22
07-06-2006, 10:20 PM
AHAHAAH....no

wildbill2u
07-06-2006, 11:21 PM
Even at the age of 34 at the twilightof his prime the NBA's best center IMO is shaquille rashaun o'neal.more than hs stats,he still has more acomplishments than any other person in the NBA.even at 34 when the shaq attack steps into the floor the entire game plan changers completeley.not to mentin:if they have to foul him all the time it means they cant stop him;)

If the refs continue to let him camp in the lane and bull through and shove all defenders out of the way, then Shaq will remain the dominant center.

At some point in time, the powers that be will decide he's past his prime-- I mean his prime PR value--and he'll start getting so many calls for offensive fouls that it will take him out of his game.

meanwhile he remains the hugely powerful man-child with the infectious grin and the darling of the NBA front office.

conqueso
07-06-2006, 11:22 PM
Maybe this will help us get back on topic. It's from wikipedia, which is the only place I could find definitions of these terms:

Centers:
In many cases, the center's primary role is simply to be very large, and to use his size to score and defend from a position close to the basket. A center who possesses size along with athleticism and skill constitutes an unparalleled asset for a team.

Power forwards:
Play a role similar to that of center in what is called the "post" or "low blocks". They play offensively with their back to the basket on offense and position themselves defensively under the basket in a zone defense or against the opposing power forward on defense in man-to-man defense...Today, with the emergence of skilled power forwards...the power forward is asked to shoulder more of a scoring role and somewhat less of a defensive role than the center.

Based on those descriptions, Duncan sounds more like a classical power forward. What might be confusing the issue is that so many of the players listed as PFs today don't fit that classical mold, so we think that Duncan is the one playing out of position, when really it's the rest of the league that's playing out of position. That article goes on:

"There has been occasional controversy over what constitutes a 'true center.'...Some would say that Tim Duncan, although listed throughout his career as a power forward, is actually a center, because of his size and style of play. It is believed that when Duncan entered the NBA, he played power forward in order to keep San Antonio Spurs teammate David Robinson playing as center and have two dominant big men on the floor. However, Duncan has continued to play mainly as a power forward even after Robinson's retirement, though he plays center on occasions."

So there you go. I've always been a strong advocate of the theory that Duncan was a de facto center, but I'm convinced I was wrong. While his defense is amazing, he is not an "anchor" like Russell or Wilt or Kareem or Shaq. Duncan is and inside threat for sure, but he's not the immovable object. He's more finesse and fundamentals than that, and that makes him more of a classical power forward.

Leetonidas
07-06-2006, 11:37 PM
^^^^^^^^^

http://schwillz.com/stuff/total/pics/owl3isee.jpg

waly.mg
07-07-2006, 10:58 AM
Tom Orsborn
Express-News Staff Writer

So you want a job that keeps you connected, in some way, to sports?

To make the really big bucks, you had better land one playing or coaching in the NBA or one of the other major pro leagues. Or you might consider working as the head of a non-profit organization or as the sports anchor of a TV newscast.

Take Tim Duncan — and for an eight-figure check, you can.

The Spurs center collected a tidy $15.85 million for the 2005-06 season. Gregg Popovich, who led the Spurs to a franchise-record 63 regular-season victories, earned $6 million.