PDA

View Full Version : when's oberto's contract up?

zocool16
07-06-2006, 11:36 AM
He's kind of been a disappointment... i mean he's a fighter and all but he can't do much, reminds me of ben wallace without the hops, the great defense, and with that great stroke

thispego
07-06-2006, 11:38 AM
how could oberto have been a dissapointment? Every time he came in he was instant rebounding. but pop hardly played him.

Solid D
07-06-2006, 11:46 AM
Remember when Oberto first joined the Spurs? He was doing dribble-handoffs, or what was supposed to be a dribble-handoff, by bounce passing between his legs and setting the screen at the same time! :lol Then he stopped doing that. I often wondered if Pop stopped that or if Oberto just got more structured in trying to please Pop.

Oberto gets $2.5 Meg this year and gets $2.5M next year on a Player Option.

Mr. Body
07-06-2006, 11:50 AM
Oberto's passing ability is just not being utilized. Back cuts would be awesome with Oberto in the lineup. When he has the ball in the post, the first place he's looking is back under the basket. Hmm... just like the Argentina National Team, where they kill people with baseline cuts. Those would be totally unexpected in the NBA.

But, no. We don't do that with the Spurs. Pop will continually pound round pegs into square holes, wherever he finds them.

thispego
07-06-2006, 11:52 AM
pops smotherin the guy! let oberto get extended minutes during the regular season POP!

Please_dont_ban_me
07-06-2006, 03:21 PM
Lmao.

I didn't realize Oberto had a fan club. The guy has been a stiff which is why he doesn't get minutes. Why would Pop not play somebody who can help the team? Maybe because he wasn't helping the team.

Solid D
07-06-2006, 03:37 PM
Lmao.

I didn't realize Oberto had a fan club. The guy has been a stiff which is why he doesn't get minutes. Why would Pop not play somebody who can help the team? Maybe because he wasn't helping the team.

He is a third center and he is paid like one. He had his moments, including a regular season game versus Dallas, where he helped the Spurs significantly. I wish Pop would have played him more versus Dallas, as I think back at how poorly Horry contributed offensively and defensively.

E20
07-06-2006, 03:45 PM
Who woud you put your money on if these players played a 1-on-1 tournament.

Rasho
Nazr
Oberto

Solid D
07-06-2006, 03:55 PM

Rasho
Nazr
Oberto

The one that hustles the most. None of them are big scorers.

E20
07-06-2006, 04:04 PM
The one that hustles the most. None of them are big scorers.
Well given they're current skill set who would you pick? I mean they have to score in order to win this one. I don't see them making TO's, I mean they're pro's in a friendly game of 1-on-1 I'd expect whoever gets the ball first should end up with a big lead.

cheguevara
07-06-2006, 04:06 PM
Oberto haters guess what?? Oberto is gonna be our starting center :lol

Mr. Body
07-06-2006, 04:07 PM

Yes, he is. :smokin

Please_dont_ban_me
07-06-2006, 04:34 PM

Rasho
Nazr
Oberto

Not Rasho for sure.

Probably a toss-up between Nazr and Oberto. I'll give Nazr the edge...but I bet Obert starts pulling up for free throw line jumeprs...that little scunt.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-06-2006, 04:34 PM

:(

ducks
07-06-2006, 05:23 PM
he should have played more against mavs
oen regular season game he went off against dallas

METALMiKE
07-06-2006, 07:18 PM
He is a third center and he is paid like one. He had his moments, including a regular season game versus Dallas, where he helped the Spurs significantly. I wish Pop would have played him more versus Dallas, as I think back at how poorly Horry contributed offensively and defensively.

:tu I was at that game,Oberto was all over the boards when he was in,I think he got like 6 rebounds in about 2 min.
:fro

Please_dont_ban_me
07-06-2006, 07:30 PM
he should have played more against mavs
oen regular season game he went off against dallas

Went off?

I've got to see this. Which game are you talking about?

gospursgojas
07-06-2006, 07:30 PM
:tu I was at that game,Oberto was all over the boards when he was in,I think he got like 6 rebounds in about 2 min.
:fro

It was probally one of those games where Diaw had to play center :spin

Holgfx
07-06-2006, 09:33 PM
I do remember several games that Tarz' O'Bertie play very well in spot minutes. He was doing very well until he sprain his ankle, I was like oh man not again!

Despot
07-06-2006, 10:28 PM
Yeah, what a bust. That rookie 5th string big man struggled to get minutes and stats on a title contending team.

midgetonadonkey
07-06-2006, 11:31 PM
Next season Oberto will drop 40pts 18 rbs 9 blocks in a game.

Quadzilla99
07-06-2006, 11:35 PM
Oberto was "kind of a disappointment" to Spurs fans, like New Coke was "kind of a disappointment" to the Coca Cola organization. He gave us nothing. He might be better next year but right now he looks like dead weight.

Despot
07-07-2006, 12:17 AM
He was only a disapointment because the media and alot of Spurs fans expected him to be starting at center within the first 5 games of the season.
Check out his stat averages per game, not much, but then compare his stats to Nazr and Rasho, and keep in mind that Oberto averaged 8 minutes per game, while Nazr got 18 and Rasho got 17.

I'm not one of his supporters, but the expectations people had for him were pretty unfair. Everyone thought that he would be the next Ginobili.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-07-2006, 12:22 AM
The guy grabs rebounds I'll give him that.

BUt he's just...I don't know. Seems to look to others too much, like he either can't make up his mind or needs to be told what to do. Hopefully this year he will settle in. In Argentine he knew his role and was one of the best players on that team.

Here, he's a deer caught in the headlights.

midgetonadonkey
07-07-2006, 12:58 AM
All jesting aside, he is going to have a bigger role this season simply because of the lack of bigs and he will be more comfortable with the NBA game. I think he will be as good as Nazr or Rasho. Maybe not better but just as good.

T Park
07-07-2006, 01:09 AM
Look back at the minutes he got V Dallas in game, ?

He played good D on Dirk, got some boards, and set some good picks for Ginobili and Parker and got them back in the game, and helped grab a lead.

Never saw the light of day again.

Now THATS a questionable move by Pop IMO.

IMO with more minutes, Oberto can be usefull and good.

Shotblocking? No hes not that agile, but hes a solid back to Javtokas this year.

TDMVPDPOY
07-07-2006, 07:56 AM
Next season Oberto will drop 40pts 18 rbs 9 blocks in a game.

thats impossible on nbalive

waly.mg
07-07-2006, 10:26 AM
I found this Boxscore when Oberto played versus Javtokas one year ago

(03/25/05)
http://www.euroleague.net/ulebcup/noticia.jsp?temporada=E04&jornada=16&id=739

Oberto 8 Points, 5 Rebouns, 1 Blk, 3/7 FG
Javtokas: 5 Points, 1 RB, 0 Blk, 2/4 FG

(03/22/05)
http://www.euroleague.net/ulebcup/noticia.jsp?temporada=E04&jornada=15&id=705

Oberto 8 Points(3/8), 5 RB and 2 Blk
Javtokas 0 Points (0/0 FG), 3 RB and 1 Blk

Stats in the Tournament

http://www.euroleague.net/ulebcup/noticia.jsp?temporada=E03&jornada=31&id=885&id2=966&id3=1006