PDA

View Full Version : Computer question

angel_luv
07-06-2006, 03:16 PM
When I started up my computer, I get this Windows xp blue screen telling me that I need to do a disk drive check.

It lets me skip it and finish loading... but what is that?

Kenneth Lay
07-06-2006, 03:23 PM
you probably set up the computer or some other software to run a disk check its no biggie and takes a few minutes it just check that theres no damages to the hard drive, maybe there was a power outagge or someone unplugged the computer.

FRITO BANDITO
07-06-2006, 03:24 PM
It means you are to give me your fritos and a kiss!!!!!!

Marklar MM
07-06-2006, 03:28 PM
I believe you just probably didn't turn off the computer properly, and it is just making sure everything is in proper order.

angel_luv
07-06-2006, 03:30 PM
you probably set up the computer or some other software to run a disk check its no biggie and takes a few minutes it just check that theres no damages to the hard drive, maybe there was a power outagge or someone unplugged the computer.

Last time I tried running it, about an hour ago, it went through steps 1-3 and then froze.

But I was in the middle of loading my new Norton's so that may be why.

When I finish with the Norton's should I shut down and restart my computer to see if the prompt comes back up ?

Thanks for the help.

:)

leemajors
07-06-2006, 03:53 PM
if the computer boots, you can also use norton's disk doctor utility and the windows doctor, they work ok. should be able to find and diagnose your problem and are easy to get to.

SoCalSpursFan
07-06-2006, 05:03 PM
When I started up my computer, I get this Windows xp blue screen telling me that I need to do a disk drive check.

It lets me skip it and finish loading... but what is that?

A) If you have questions about windows, don't forget to go to Microsoft's Help page, it's pretty detailed....since windows has so many problems... :rolleyes

B) Get a Mac. :elephant

SequSpur
07-06-2006, 05:05 PM
user error.

strangeweather
07-06-2006, 05:22 PM
B) Get a Mac. :elephant
After all, the HDDs that Apple uses are magically immune to bad blocks.

PM5K
07-06-2006, 09:34 PM
What version of Windows are you using?

angel_luv
07-06-2006, 09:45 PM
It is Windows XP
Presario 6000

lilmads
07-06-2006, 10:30 PM
You probably had a program problem.. Should be fine the next time you start up.

PM5K
07-06-2006, 10:41 PM
It is Windows XP
Presario 6000

Good luck with that hun, XP doesn't do that very often and usually not unless there is a problem.

phyzik
07-06-2006, 10:55 PM
you have a few options....

If you can load into Windows properly, do it. Once in, double click on your "my computer" icon and then right-click on your hard-drive and select "properties" at the bottom of the list. In the properties window click on the "tools" tab at the top and where it says "error checking" click on the "check now" button. On the next little window that pops up, put a check on BOTH boxes and click OK. It will tell you to restart, do it and walk away. leave the computer alone for at least a few hours (it can take a while sometimes). If you notice its not moving AFTER giving it some time then go to the next step.

no, we are not going to reformat or anything like that, grab your XP CD-ROM and put it in the drive, restart the computer and let it boot off the CD. Its going to load up some memory-resident files it needs so give it a minute. Once its loaded there will be an option you can select (I think its the "c" key) to get to the command console. Anyway, once you get to the command console you will be at a black DOS looking screen. You will probably need your admin password if you have one, if you dont have to log into Windows when you start up just press enter without putting anything. Once you are at the prompt type "chkdsk /r" and hit enter. Let THAT run. If after that finishes or it locks up again you either have a bad harddrive or you need to reformat to get rid of the problem.

Nbadan
07-07-2006, 01:36 AM
Resident programs on your computer needed to be turned off when the computer did disk check, so it scheduled this disk check after the next restart, before it started these programs. I wouldn't be too concerned unless it keeps happening.

leemajors
07-07-2006, 09:13 AM
After all, the HDDs that Apple uses are magically immune to bad blocks.

and you never have to reboot them either! even though i end up rebooting my emac at work several times a week and my pc once every few months...