PDA

View Full Version : 'Newborn' Stoudemire ready to play again

Quadzilla99
07-06-2006, 03:22 PM
Article from Phoenix. Mostly Stoudamire talking about the upcoming season and his knee. There is a link below.
__________________________________________________ ____
'Newborn' Stoudemire ready to play again
By Jerry Brown, Tribune
July 6, 2006
Before Wednesday’s first rookie league workout began at US Airways Center, Suns assistant coach Phil Weber took Amaré Stoudemire aside to form a game plan on how they would approach the first of two practices.

Related Links
Sports

“We started out saying, ‘Let’s go as hard as you can for two minutes or three minutes. We’ll use that as a jumping-off point,' ” Weber said.

It sounded good until Stoudemire took the ball on the break, spun around his man and flew toward the rim for a slam. Suns officials in the closed practice were nodding and beaming.

“It was one of those plays where you said, ‘Whoa, there’s Amaré,’ ” Weber said. “He made a few plays that stood out like that. So I think it’s OK to step things up a little.”

That’s fine with Stoudemire, who said he felt great and is looking forward to his first game in the Vegas Summer League on Friday afternoon. He’s taking part in two-a-day workouts with the other hopefuls and hopes to play in four or all five games, even going back-to-back on Friday and Saturday.

Unlike his ill-fated comeback in March, Stoudemire now feels two strong knees beneath him and is eager to show doubters that he’s ready to fly.

“Today was a great day for me. My explosiveness is coming back,” Stoudemire said. “I made some strong moves with the left and right hand, left and right leg, so everything is coming along. “I want to play as much as I can in as many (rookie) games as I can. I have no concerns about re-injury; it’s just about cardio and muscle endurance and living in the weight room.

“I never thought microfracture would be this serious before I had my surgery. I did a little research . . . but it’s all strictly work from top to bottom. I have another two to three months to go, but you can see the end in sight.”

Stoudemire feels at home in a 2006 rookie camp. If he had played four years of college ball, he would have been drafted last week. Instead, he’s already earned All-NBA third-team honors and is mentioned in the first breaths of the league’s elite. But after missing all but three games this past season while enduring major (left knee) and minor (right knee) surgery, the need to prove himself is as strong as any of the other 16 rookies and free agents wearing Suns colors Wednesday.

“I feel like a newborn,” he said. “Finally getting out there and starting to do things you forgot you could do . . . it’s coming back. When I see the ball on the rim, I go and get it.

“You still have that mental state where you say ‘should I jump over these three guys or should I take one more dribble and go around them?’ Certain thoughts are there, but over time, they will go away.”

Stoudemire restated his goals of becoming a better and more consistent defensive player and leading the Suns to a championship he feels they missed out on last year.

“With the team we have and the players we have . . . it’s championship time,” he said. “It would have been ours if I wouldn’t have gone down. Now that I’m back, it’s a no-brainer.”

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=69129

RON ARTEST
07-06-2006, 03:26 PM
if amare was healthy this year he would have kicked the heats ass for sure.

atxrocker
07-06-2006, 03:35 PM
Amare is a fucking beast. If he is truly healthy and ready to play 100% then he should become dominant like he was before the injury. I like the guy and hope to see him succeed. Thanks for the article.

Quadzilla99
07-06-2006, 03:47 PM
I was looking up things about this Microfracture knee injury a couple of months ago and it's looking to me at least like it's doubtful that he will ever will be 100% again.

Look at the people who have had it the injury and same surgery: Penny Hardaway, Allan Houston, Jason Kidd, Jamal Mashburn, Kenyon Martin, Chris Webber among others. Webber in particular lost almost all of his athleticism right after the surgery. He now runs with a limp and gets up and down the court like Arvydas Sabonis whereas he used to be pretty athletic. Most of their players decline was because of knee problems and athleticism issues.

atxrocker
07-06-2006, 03:55 PM
I was looking up things about this Microfracture knee injury a couple of months ago and it's looking to me at least like it's doubtful that he will ever will be 100% again.

Look at the people who have had it the injury and same surgery: Penny Hardaway, Allan Houston, Jason Kidd, Jamal Mashburn, Kenyon Martin, Chris Webber among others. Webber in particular lost almost all of his athleticism right after the surgery. He now runs with a limp and gets up and down the court like Arvydas Sabonis whereas he used to be an pretty athletic. Most of their players decline was because of knee problems and athleticism issues.

thats true.. and i do question whether he will ever be at 100%. still, it should be noted most of the players you mention were much older than Amare. with his youth and strength on his side, hopefully he can make a speedy recovery. regardless, i would still say an amare at 85-90% would still pretty goddamn effective.

Quadzilla99
07-06-2006, 04:06 PM
thats true.. and i do question whether he will ever be at 100%. still, it should be noted most of the players you mention were much older than Amare. with his youth and strength on his side, hopefully he can make a speedy recovery. regardless, i would still say an amare at 85-90% would still pretty goddamn effective.

Yeah I would expect him to still be good but I was shocked when I read that back then and they started listing all the names. I was like Damn...

mabber
07-06-2006, 04:27 PM

Yeah, he might be the one that comes back at close to 100% because of his youth and maybe they're getting better at that type of surgery. Either way, I agree, 85-90% of the old Amare would be really good.

kris
07-06-2006, 04:47 PM
I hope he comes back 100% because he is the future of the league. I have my doubts that he will ever be the same.

JMarkJohns
07-06-2006, 06:20 PM
He'll never have 100% of the pre-injury athleticism.

What he needs to work towards is getting to the point where, with whatever he has left, he can play at 100% and be the instinctual scorer around the basket and perimeter.

His mind needs to be whole before he plays. Otherwise he'll drive, then stop, or pump fake and stumble or pump fake and pump fake over and over close to the basket.

There simply cannot be any indecision. That will be what determines Amare's success. Not his athleticism. I figure the procedure will eliminate him simply elevating over everyone and dunking on them. He should have plenty enough to run the floor, rebound and challenge shots. Plenty enough to dunk when it's there.

Again, the procedure was a minor one and was in a non-load-bearing part of the cartilage.

peskypesky
07-06-2006, 08:18 PM
I loved watching Amare play, even though I'm a Spurs fan....and i was crushed when i heard about his injury...

i wish him all the best and a 100% recovery, but i really sadly doubt he will ever be the Amare we knew...

from my readins about micro-fracture surgery, it would be a miracle for this guy to be what he used to be...and on top of that, instead of seeing him bang for another 15-20 years, i think we'll be lucky to see him for another 5....

and that makes me really sad....cause he was one of the bright hopes of the NBA....

but let's all hope i'm wrong....

Amare_32
07-07-2006, 09:01 PM
I really hope he comes back at 100%. It would be a shame for someone so young to be a shell of himself so early in his career. From what I have heard he is making good progress.
________
Silver Surfer Vaporizer (http://www.vaporshop.com/silver-surfer-vaporizer.html)
________
Medical marijuana dispensaries manteca. ca (http://www.dispensaries.org/)

Buddy Holly
07-07-2006, 09:02 PM
Amare is te next CWebb.