PDA

View Full Version : James close to signing with the Rockets.

Quadzilla99
07-06-2006, 09:05 PM
According to the Toronto Sun. Link below. Also reported on ESPN.com rumor central.

http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Basketball/2006/07/06/1670676-sun.html

Leetonidas
07-06-2006, 09:07 PM
:lol

DirkAB
07-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Should have never traded him in the first place.

Solid D
07-06-2006, 09:29 PM
:lol This duplicate thread is a joke, right?

NBA Junkie
07-06-2006, 09:32 PM
Couldn't be anymore of a joke than all of the "Mike James to Dallas" threads I've seen floating around the forum.

Leetonidas
07-06-2006, 09:35 PM
If it's not a joke, Shank is going to have a nice outburst.

Quadzilla99
07-06-2006, 09:37 PM
:lol This duplicate thread is a joke, right?

There is no other thread I see with this report. Maybe you can point it out or put a link. Unless "Mike James to Dallas" is the same as "James close to signing with the Rockets".

Solid D
07-06-2006, 09:43 PM
There is no other thread I see with this report. Maybe you can point it out or put a link. Unless "Mike James to Dallas" is the same as "James close to signing with the Rockets".

Sorry I laughed but it is posted in the "Mike James to Dallas" thread starting on the 2nd page and also in the "Mavs: Daniels for Croshere, MJames agrees to terms" thread both posted by SenorSpur. Shank went off...and some of us fanned the flame. Enjoy...

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1086407#post1086407

ChumpDumper
07-06-2006, 09:46 PM
:smchode:

[/Shank]

Quadzilla99
07-06-2006, 09:54 PM
Oh ok I didnt see that. Sorry.

Shank
07-06-2006, 10:06 PM
I went off? I seemed to have missed that part.

Glad to see you're all so concerned with my well-being.

DirkAB
07-06-2006, 10:37 PM
Why would Dallas want him anyway? They already have 2 point guards, makes no sense.

Quadzilla99
07-06-2006, 10:43 PM
Why would Dallas want him anyway? They already have 2 point guards, makes no sense.
Exactly doesnt make sense. When they play a team like the Lakers 2 of them would be riding the pine. Unless you're planning to have 1 of them guard a 6'8 Kobe or 6'10 Lamar Odom.

Mavs_man_41
07-06-2006, 10:47 PM
Exactly doesnt make sense. When they play a team like the Lakers 2 of them would be riding the pine. Unless you're planning to have 1 of them guard a 6'8 Kobe or 6'10 Lamar Odom.

First of all, Kobe is 6'6. Second of all, the mavs want to start harris at the 1 and move terry to the 2, with james coming off the bench to play both spots.

DirkAB
07-06-2006, 10:54 PM
First of all, Kobe is 6'6. Second of all, the mavs want to start harris at the 1 and move terry to the 2, with james coming off the bench to play both spots.

So, you obviously would be confident in Terry and James taking turns guarding Kobe then.

Quadzilla99
07-06-2006, 11:04 PM
You're right. Kobe is listed at 6'6 on ESPN.com didn't he used to be listed at 6'8? Still too tall for a group of point guards that tops out at 6'3.

strangeweather
07-06-2006, 11:20 PM
You're right. Kobe is listed at 6'6 on ESPN.com didn't he used to be listed at 6'8? Still too tall for a group of point guards that tops out at 6'3.
I guess you put Howard on Kobe and put Terry on... Odom? Mihm? Kwame?

OK, maybe not.

Mavs_man_41
07-06-2006, 11:54 PM
I guess you put Howard on Kobe and put Terry on... Odom? Mihm? Kwame?

OK, maybe not.

No, this line up wouldn't work against every team. That's why the mavs should really think about resigning adrian griffin.

DirkAB
07-07-2006, 12:02 AM
No, this line up wouldn't work against every team. That's why the mavs should really think about resigning adrian griffin.

Oh so you would sick Adrian Griffin on Kobe, I see. If management feels anything like you do, Kobe might make another run at 81.

Marc Cuban
07-07-2006, 03:21 AM
Actually Kobe had 62 in 3 quarters against us so he was on pace for 83. But the refs gave it all to him at the free throw line just like with Wade and every player who scores a single point against us.

boutons_
07-07-2006, 04:14 AM
"Why would Dallas want him anyway?"

For the same reason the Spurs are looking for a 3rd PG: injuries.

Kori Ellis
07-07-2006, 05:43 AM
There was action in the stands as well as on the floor at UNLV's Cox Pavilion, where Toronto's Mike James -- one of the top three unrestricted free agents left on the market along with Al Harrington and Bonzi Wells -- was conducting face-to-face negotiations with the three teams chasing him: Houston, Dallas and Minnesota.

After a meeting with Rockets officials, James could be seen in a far corner of the gym, engaged in an animated discussion with Mavericks owner (and fellow Pittsburgh native) Mark Cuban.

"We're a lot alike," Cuban said with a smile, declining to reveal any more about the conversation.

James eventually made his way to the opposite baseline for a meeting to set up dinner with Timberwolves vice president of basketball operations Kevin McHale.

"That's really the three right now," James said of the Rockets, Mavs and Wolves. "Those are the three teams that have shown the most interest in me. But everything, it's basically just talk right now."

James, 31, is seeking a five-year deal after a breakout season for the Raptors in which he averaged 20.3 points and 5.8 assists. The Mavs and Rockets are offering three-year deals starting at the $5 million mid-level exception. Minnesota, which also has its exception available, has been trying to land James via sign-and-trade but the Wolves, according to NBA front-office sources, haven't been able to tempt the Raptors with a package featuring swingman Trenton Hassell.

The Rockets, meanwhile, are trying to bring James back to Houston after dealing him to the Raptors for Rafer Alston last October on the first day of training camp.

Asked if he feels redeemed by Houston's interest now, which included Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy on the doorstep of his Houston home at the first permissible minute of free agency, James said: "I understand people have to make business decisions. [But] I think they realize now that you really don't know what you have sometimes until it's gone. I think the Rockets have a better understanding of me as a person, and I think Jeff has a better understanding of me as a player and a person."

James is staying in Las Vegas through the weekend to continue talks with his suitors and insists that none of the three teams has emerged as a favorite. But he admits that he's getting antsy.

"I'm just ready to get this over with and get with my new team," he said.

Shank
07-07-2006, 08:31 AM
While we'd like what he can do here in Dallas, it wouldn't hurt me at all if they passed to let someone else be stupid enough to give him the 5 years. Who is he kidding? He must think the teams are thinking of the other James. Jerome.

boutons_
07-07-2006, 08:44 AM
< "We're a lot alike," Cuban said >

yeah, they both like to coach, when that's not their job :lol

mabber
07-07-2006, 09:36 AM
< "We're a lot alike," Cuban said >

yeah, they both like to coach, when that's not their job :lol

I know I shouldn't get into this with Spurs fans, but when has Cuban EVER tried to coach (or even wanted to coach)? The guy is not even involved (nor wants to be) in player evaluations, etc.. I'm just trying to set you straight on where to attack Cuban cuz there are so many different ways that are well-deserving, but wanting to or liking to coach is not even close to being one of them :lol

Obstructed_View
07-07-2006, 09:39 AM
LeBron James, Tmac and Yao? What a front line.

LEONARD
07-07-2006, 12:01 PM
Yea, why would the Mavs want a veteran guard that shot 44% on 3's, avg'd 20 ppg, and 6 rpg... :lol

5 yr contract? No. But if he'll do 3 I'd take him. He's a warrior...

And for those trying to figure out how the Mavs would stop Kobe, how does anybody stop Kobe? :rolleyes

strangeweather
07-07-2006, 12:39 PM
And for those trying to figure out how the Mavs would stop Kobe, how does anybody stop Kobe? :rolleyes
It's not generally a question of stopping him, but you do need to try to contain him.

Unless, you know, you want him to drop 60+ on you in 3 quarters. :lol

mardigan
07-07-2006, 12:43 PM
So the other thread that James signed with Dallas was bullshit?

LEONARD
07-07-2006, 01:46 PM
It's not generally a question of stopping him, but you do need to try to contain him.

Unless, you know, you want him to drop 60+ on you in 3 quarters. :lol

Laughing about 1 regular season game is funny to me, considering the Mavs beat the Spurs on their court in the playoffs...

That'd be like me ripping on the Heat for them letting somebody go off on them in December... :lol

I still don't see how getting Mike James is going to hurt the Mavs as far as containing Kobe goes...