PDA

View Full Version : kmart

dbestpro
07-06-2006, 09:20 PM
Kenyon Martin Spotted in San Antonio
Wire Reports
Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Yes, several Spurs fans reported that Kenyon Martin was seen in San Antonio during the Fourth of July holiday break and that's all it took to get the rumor machine cranking. Especially since earlier, the Blazers announced that free-agent Joel Przybilla is staying in Portland. The Spurs had been interested in acquiring Przybilla via free agency.

When we last heard about Martin, he was nowhere to be seen. Things had gotten ugly in Denver between him and coach George Karl.

All summer, there were rumors that the high priced forward would be shipped off to, well, anyone who might take him. Martin still has five years left on the seven-year, $93 million deal he signed before Karl joined the Nuggets.

But now, we get word out of Denver that enough time has passed since the confrontation and that Karl is ready to mend the relationship.

The Denver Nuggets head coach suspended Martin for the final three playoff games against the Los Angeles Clippers last spring for insubordination and hasn't spoken to him since. Karl said he wanted things to cool off before they spoke.

However, Karl is hoping their paths soon cross.

"Hopefully we'll be able to work it out," said Karl, who was watching the Nuggets' summer-league team practice Sunday at the Pepsi Center. "There's a high likelihood that he could be part of the team come October. He's got to be ready for that, and I've got to be ready for that."*

Carmelo Anthony has even agreed to play the role of mediator, should his services be needed.

When told of that, Karl just smiled.

"That's fine," Karl said.

Martin, who played a career-low 56 games last season thanks to microfracture surgery on his left knee, was irritated over playing limited minutes in the playoffs.

Soon after the outburst, Karl suspended him.

So Karl and Martin have to find a way to work together. Karl thinks some type of understanding can be reached.

"I'm just trying to coach my team and Kenyon's a part of the team," Karl said.

So why are many in San Antonio thinking the Spurs might be exploring a trade to bring him to South Texas?

Was Martin's visit to river city a simple one to visit with friends? Was he there to get a pre-trade physical? Is the speculation further fueled by memories of a report in 2004 that Kenyon might want to join the Spurs?

Martin is no longer the player he used to be, especially after the microfracture surgery. The deficiencies in his game have become even more obvious since the operation. Would the Spurs' front office really consider his services- especially at that price?

When Williams can move a trade of Williams and Barry will work salary wise.

hmmmmm.

Mr. Body
07-06-2006, 09:22 PM
Only in Bizarro Spurs World.

Horry For 3!
07-06-2006, 09:24 PM
Kenyon Martin :vomit:

Bob Lanier
07-06-2006, 09:25 PM
http://www.photoeditinc.com/Pix/REC/001/REC001JG_017_001_T.JPG

atxrocker
07-06-2006, 09:26 PM
fuck a kenyon martin. boy, denver is probably having a killer time moving this guy. the mental image of him in san antonio is somewhat amusing though.

Leetonidas
07-06-2006, 09:26 PM
That would be hilarious.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-06-2006, 09:28 PM
Omg

YES. Sign this fucker. Please. He is exactly what we need. Tough. Blocks shots. Doesn't need the ball in his hands. Can hit the free throw line jumper. Plays with heart. Stop messing with my emotions. I hope this isn't a tease.

Btw

There's no other reason he would be in San Antonio...let's not get it twisted. It's not like he wanted to see the Alamo.

Leetonidas
07-06-2006, 09:29 PM
It would only be fitting though...where's that picture of Kenyon crying with the "Property of Spurs" tatoo on him? :lol

Leetonidas
07-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Omg

YES. Sign this fucker. Please. He is exactly what we need. Tough. Blocks shots. Doesn't need the ball in his hands. Can hit the free throw line jumper. Plays with heart. Stop messing with my emotions. I hope this isn't a tease.

Btw

There's no other reason he would be in San Antonio...let's not get it twisted. It's not like he wante to see the Alamo.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

ducks
07-06-2006, 09:30 PM
only if denver cut him
and spurs uses the vet min on him and that would be to much

Please_dont_ban_me
07-06-2006, 09:32 PM
only if denver cut him

Denver isn't New York.

They're not going to cut a guy if they owe him 40 mill, much less 73 million dollars.

Leetonidas
07-06-2006, 09:33 PM
Kenyon Martin

$11,818,182

$13,000,000

$14,181,818

$15,363,636

$16,545,454

That's what he's owed. Not worth it.

exstatic
07-06-2006, 09:35 PM
There's no other reason he would be in San Antonio...let's not get it twisted. It's not like he wanted to see the Alamo.
You've got it all wrong. It's part of his therapy. He is to return to places where he has failed miserably to cleanse the memories.

Kenyon has a shit attitude, one knee, and no brain.

Leetonidas
07-06-2006, 09:37 PM
I dunno though. Kenyon next to Tim wouldn't be so bad. He wouldn't have to do much but rebound and score occasionaly, which he can do. He has a good 15 foot jumper. He's just too expensive.

SenorSpur
Don't even think about it.

FromWayDowntown
If the contract weren't in issue, I think you could make an argument that Martin is capable of providing some of the things that the Spurs were missing in these most recent playoffs. You'd have to temper that with the truth that he's become a bit of a china doll and he's decidedly not always interested in what's best for the team. He's also not the athlete he once was.

And then there's that contract; and the luxury tax; and the Spurs' austerity.

It would be a bold move by the Spurs, even if it wasn't a wise one.

Leetonidas
07-06-2006, 09:40 PM
I don't think Kenyon would be a bad aquisition, he just is not worth 53 million.

horrorshow
07-06-2006, 09:42 PM
Martin is definately not the player he once was... and I won't waste my time on saleries to make a trade possible. But he's still a big improvement over Horry (long on the tooth... sorry Big Shot), Oberto, or the stiffs we got from Toronto. If you compare him to what's on our roster and not to the Dirk's of the world... he would be an improvement.

jman3000
07-06-2006, 09:47 PM
He would have that juicy expiring contract that we might be able to make a sizable trade with 4 years down the line. Timmy's and Manu's contracts are gonna be expiring and we'll be looking to re-up them that same year.

Anyways.. no chance in hell... although it is interesting he would spend a holiday weekend down here just for the hell of it. I doubt anything is up... but it does make it interesting.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-06-2006, 09:50 PM
Omg

Btw

Dude, I hope you are kidding, otherwise I have totally lost any respect I ever had for your opinion.

ChumpDumper
07-06-2006, 09:54 PM
There's no other reason he would be in San Antonio.Maybe he was just down here for the tournament.

exstatic
07-06-2006, 10:01 PM
Kenyon Martin has ONE FUCKING LEG. There are several reasons that they want to get rid of him and NONE of them are that he still has gas left in the tank and is a good team guy.

itzsoweezee
07-06-2006, 10:15 PM
he's done. if the spurs are willing to spend that much money, they should spend on someone who's not a cripple.

THE SIXTH MAN
07-06-2006, 10:28 PM
Pass.

Kori Ellis
07-06-2006, 11:14 PM
If he were going to get traded here, he wouldn't come visit. It's not like he chooses where he's getting traded to, right?

Leetonidas
07-06-2006, 11:14 PM
If he were going to get traded here, he wouldn't come visit. It's not like he chooses where he's getting traded to, right?

Maybe the Nuggets told him...

Kori Ellis
07-06-2006, 11:15 PM
Maybe the Nuggets told him...

So who are we shipping out? Manu? :rolleyes

Leetonidas
07-06-2006, 11:16 PM
I dunno. I doubt a trade will happen, but Williams and Barry could work I think after August 21st.

Kori Ellis
07-06-2006, 11:17 PM
I dunno. I doubt a trade will happen, but Williams and Barry could work I think after August 21st.

I don't know if that's enough. KMart makes almost 12M. I guess it's close to enough salary-wise, but I think the Nuggets could get more than that.

rwb
07-06-2006, 11:18 PM
Martin is one of those players I just can't stand to even watch. His chest beating is as annoying as Mtumbo's finger waving. I just hate that attitude crap. I'd enjoy seeing him sent to the Knicks.

Leetonidas
07-06-2006, 11:19 PM
I thought they were shopping him a lot but not finding any takers? I just find it odd that he's here for no reason.

timvp
07-06-2006, 11:23 PM
There's no way the Spurs are dumb enough to trade for KMart. His contract is horrible and he has a game to match. For the MLE I'd go for a healthy KMart. And injured one with a bloated contract?

Hell no.

This would be like the Charles Smith trade to the 20th power. And trust me, the Spurs will never make such a mistake again. Pop still has nightmares about that one.

Slinkyman
07-06-2006, 11:24 PM
Martin's overpaid and his knee may never be the same but i don't understand why so many spurs fans hate him so much. what has he done that was so wrong?

Quadzilla99
07-06-2006, 11:25 PM
He cursed out his coach at halftime of a playoff game in front of the whole team.

Slinkyman
07-06-2006, 11:26 PM
He cursed out his coach at halftime of a playoff game in front of the whole team.

Stephen fucking jackson ran into the stand and attacked fans and people here want that son of bitch back

Quadzilla99
07-06-2006, 11:28 PM
I would rather have him than Jackson (I fucking hate "S-Jax") but I don't want either of them personally.

Kori Ellis
07-06-2006, 11:28 PM
The only way I see any sane team wanting him is if he gets waived and someone can pick him up cheap.

That being said, wasn't there reports this weekend that the Mavs were interested in him?

jman3000
07-06-2006, 11:30 PM
The only way I see any sane team wanting him is if he gets waived and someone can pick him up cheap.

That being said, wasn't there reports this weekend that the Mavs were interested in him?
weren't those reports shot down as being shots in the dark by a reporter?

jman3000
07-06-2006, 11:31 PM
stupid thought now that i think about it..

wildbill2u
07-06-2006, 11:31 PM
Stephen fucking jackson ran into the stand and attacked fans and people here want that son of bitch back

Omigawd, the inevitable reference to Jax will bring forth a chorus of how we'd be invincible if we'd only kept him with side bar comments on how Pop could reform KMart just like he did with Jax.

Pop is supposed to have some magic on straightening out bad attitudes. From what I see (Devin Brown and Jax) his magic method consists of letting them find another team and wishing them well when they leave.

Leetonidas
07-06-2006, 11:33 PM

Is it possible to waive him?

milkyway21
07-06-2006, 11:44 PM
i thought KMart's going to Minnesota and join KG?

Please_dont_ban_me
07-06-2006, 11:59 PM
His contract is unreasonable.

But if we get him like we got Finley, where the other team pays part of his salary and we pay the rest...I'd be more then glad to get him at 5-6 mill. He's much better than a Prycilla or a Nazr. Though Nazr did pwned him in that series...Kmart didn't have Duncan next to him then.

NBA Junkie
07-07-2006, 12:08 AM
i thought KMart's going to Minnesota and join KG?

Oh, god no!

Tigole Bitties
07-07-2006, 12:16 AM
Someone refresh my memory -- how did we acquire Glenn Robinson a couple years back? How much did we pay him?

Would be interesting if the Spurs did sign K-Mart... another #1 pick to the bench. Might as well try and pickup former #1 Olowakandi while we're at it.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-07-2006, 12:16 AM
K will be gone for an exp contract. We all know Isiah is the only one dumb enough to take him on. I hope the Nuggets dont hold out for more than that. They just need to get him out of there

Nene will be starting at PF, thank goodness

Please_dont_ban_me
07-07-2006, 12:19 AM
TP
Manu
Bowen
Duncan
Kmart

That sounds lovely. Between Kmart and Javtokas you won't even need to watch the games. Just turn on Sportscenter.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-07-2006, 12:20 AM
Btw, George...everybody sees through your "hoping to see him in camp" act.

You're not going to inflate his value by making people think you're willing to take him back if the right deal isn't on the table.

Kori Ellis
07-07-2006, 12:22 AM
His contract is unreasonable.

But if we get him like we got Finley, where the other team pays part of his salary and we pay the rest...I'd be more then glad to get him at 5-6 mill. He's much better than a Prycilla or a Nazr. Though Nazr did pwned him in that series...Kmart didn't have Duncan next to him then.

Yeah but the amnesty clause was a one time only deal last summer.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-07-2006, 12:23 AM
Yeah but the amnesty clause was a one time only deal last summer.

Son of a b...

Please_dont_ban_me
07-07-2006, 12:24 AM
What I meant to say is:

+ I don't think we have any assets we're willing to give up for him, that they want.
+ We can't afford that contract.
+ I doubt they cut him and let him walk with 73 mill. That would be utterly stupid.

SA Gunslinger
07-07-2006, 12:29 AM
I didn't know K-Mart had the microfracture surgery. Has anyone made a decent comeback from that procedure?

The current core players have at least one championship left in it. Gambling on K-mart could cost us that one championship. But if it works out, it could bring San Antonio more than one.

He was a beast as a Net.

T Park
07-07-2006, 12:31 AM
and if they don't trade for him, they will be considered cheap.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-07-2006, 12:34 AM
They wont cut him. The way i see it, only 1 of 3 things will likely happen

1.) He gets traded for an exp contract and nothing else

2.) He suddenly wakes up and gets it together with GK and the team, gets healthier during the offseason and plays with a chip on his shoulder. A highly unlikely scenario but maybe he will get inline

3.) Things get worse, he warms the bench for the season or ends up like Artest and gets suspended indefinately by the team until they can find a team who suddenly decides to trade their crap for him :lol

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-07-2006, 12:36 AM
someone will wind up unhappy in Denver, so it may as well continue to be Kmart. He will be backing up Nene and he better suck it up.

Its too bad Melo cant play SG coz an experiment could be a Dre/Melo/K/Nene/Camby lineup. The Nuggets would of course still be one of the worst shooting team in the NBA if that happened :lol

Quadzilla99
07-07-2006, 12:38 AM
I didn't know K-Mart had the microfracture surgery. Has anyone made a decent comeback from that procedure?

The current core players have at least one championship left in it. Gambling on K-mart could cost us that one championship. But if it works out, it could bring San Antonio more than one.

He was a beast as a Net.

Jason Kidd somewhat, although he's not what he used to be athletically. I did a bunch of research on that a couple of months ago. That injury/surgery ends or fucks up careers-C-Webb, Allan Houston, Penny, Mashburn, all had it and were never the same. Amare will be lucky to be 85% of what he used to be. If he does come back 100% he will be the first person ever to do that, most guys lose a lot and a lot have chronic knee problems afterwards.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-07-2006, 01:57 AM
Okay, let's get this straight, Martin (I refuse to use any familiar names with this wanker) is a shadow of his former self. Even when he was supposedly a moster back in 2003, we showed him up for the fraud he is.

All bark, no bite.

Back to the Karl doghouse for you, overpaid wretch! :nope

milkyway21
07-07-2006, 03:36 AM
Oh, god no!HE:D HE:D

I will become a Kings fan if the Spurs sign Kenyon Martin. He is my least favorite player in the league besides Juwan Howard. :lol

:wakeup

GrandeDavid
07-07-2006, 06:50 AM
Its utterly tragic the turn Kenyon's image has turned since college. What a disaster. Textbook career image suicide. He went from national player of the year, humble origins, super hard working college superstar to a downward spiraling negative, selfish, mean spirited NBA baller. Terrific.

And he and I share the same alma mater. Now if I crack him hard, you can imagine everyone else!

Having said that, I do know for a fact that Kenyon is a big fan of Tim Duncan. I actually think that given the chance he'd probably behave (at least for some time) in San Antonio and would be a surprise. However, I think he's burned too many bridges around the league and his image is just in the toilet. Plus, salary issues, contract etc. Ain't happenin.

AMOS7
07-07-2006, 07:20 AM
kmart in SA would be a great thing. I'm not a fan of him either, but I know he does have talent. He would be the best option at this time.

Unproven euros are not what they need to start the season. Bring them off the bench, Kmart can tear it up when he wants. He just needs to be a fourth offensive option.

Parker, Ginobili, Bowen, Duncan, KMart

That is a sick lineup. You know what you hear all about "swagger"? Spurs didn't have it this year, perhaps Kmart can bring that. This team doesn't have a lot of time left to compete for a ring so they need to get a proven all-star calibur player to help out.

Streakyshooter08
07-07-2006, 07:24 AM
Well, the only thing I see is that Denver needs shooting... Barry can provide that, along with Williams you have a nice package (I don't know if that is enough)...

There are a lot of reasons why I don' want him here but I could IMAGINE that the Spurs migh be interested in him if he is HEALTHY (which I doubt). He brings thoughness, rebounding and some offensive skills if he is 100%... He would help them, no question but health and money might be the issue here... I highly doubt it will happen...

TDMVPDPOY
07-07-2006, 07:29 AM
he probaly be good if it didnt cost us brent or beno, cose his game relys on lobs, and tp is not a guy that pass first or give alleys.

MrChug
07-07-2006, 07:30 AM
only if denver cut him

Ducks, you normally make me laugh and usually you make sense, but to say that the vet min is excessive for a player of his caliber is well, excessive. He'd never come for that little, he'd be a fool to. With that said, we should be able to offer more, because he'd deserve it.

venitian navigator
07-07-2006, 10:01 AM
I'm scared at the idea of having the "bad guy" Martin for the "good guy" Barry...
However, if a trade happens, it will be after august 21...when willams (and bonner) can be trade in a package.
Possibility are : barry, williams and bonner/oberto for him.-

Mr. Body
07-07-2006, 10:05 AM
The Spurs simply cannot carry four large contracts with Duncan (~$20M), Parker (~$11M), Ginobili (~$10M) plus Kenyon Martin.

Those contracts together get you around $50M alone.

nkdlunch
07-07-2006, 10:30 AM
Ain't nobody think we can get no Kmart but not us

bdictjames
07-07-2006, 10:34 AM
Yeah, we spend $50 million on the guy.. and he limps every game in the season. Great.

Obstructed_View
07-07-2006, 10:42 AM
La-hew. Za-hur.

Pass.

dbestpro
07-07-2006, 12:45 PM
Denver would be very happy to do a Barry, Williams for KMart as a salary dump. They really don't have options.

Mr. Body
07-07-2006, 12:54 PM
They'd be exstatic. They'd get a shooter and dump an unbelievable contract for a player who may not be worth a third of it.

MajorMike
07-07-2006, 12:57 PM
They could easily ship us some money if they are eager to get rid of him, like in the Raptor/Bucks trade.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-07-2006, 01:03 PM
I say pick him up. You don't get a stat line like 3-23 if you're some sissy who's scared to shoot the ball. We need a guy with some guts on the front line! We finally got rid of out two "soft" centers so this guy is the perfect fit for the new look Spurs.

aaronstampler
07-07-2006, 02:47 PM
Over my dead body.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-07-2006, 03:00 PM
Maybe the Spurs could get Corliss Williamson and Kenny Thomas too. They could then pick Malik back up and we'd have the "All-Tweener Team" to compliment the team's new commitment to small ball.

spursmode
07-07-2006, 03:50 PM
Maybe the Spurs could get Corliss Williamson and Kenny Thomas too. They could then pick Malik back up and we'd have the "All-Tweener Team" to compliment the team's new commitment to small ball.

Hello McFly. We are not going to truly get where we want to be until we bring back the all time best shooting guard with the spurs. Alfrederick Hughes. :elephant :elephant :elephant