PDA

View Full Version : Best Lunch Buffet

LONJAS
07-06-2006, 09:52 PM
Alrighty people... i know a few but i want more places to try... post your favorite lunch buffet locations..... in fact... any buffets will do. i want to know all of them.

midgetonadonkey
07-06-2006, 11:33 PM
Fuck buffets. The food is infested with bacteria and snot.

TheDavinciCode
07-06-2006, 11:49 PM
always use a clean plate when you go back to buffet

Please_dont_ban_me
07-07-2006, 12:15 AM
India Palace
281 & Thousand Oaks

$8 or so

Please_dont_ban_me
07-07-2006, 12:15 AM
always use a clean plate when you go back to buffet

I never got that...

What does your plate have to do with the food that's in the dish? Unless your ladle thing your using to put the food in your plate touches your plate, then you put the same ladle back into the buffet tray.

GrandeDavid
07-07-2006, 06:58 AM
And never take the top plate. Always take the one just below it. Oh, and always scoop up the food toward the bottom of the dishes.

ididnotnothat
07-07-2006, 07:27 AM
Take all you want, eat all you take.

Or you may be asked to leave.

ObiwanGinobili
07-07-2006, 07:57 AM
Buffet King I10 @ DeZavala

pache100
07-07-2006, 08:57 AM
I like the Golden Corral in Universal City. Can't beat all you can eat salad, hot dishes (veggies and meats), bread, desserts, and drinks for $9. We go there at least twice a month on Saturday after we do yard work all morning, so we are really starving and thirsty. We always get our money's worth! And the waitresses are so nice.

Clayton Bigsby
07-07-2006, 08:59 AM
buffet king is pretty damn good just no crab legs that upsets me....

but panchos dude kicks ass lol j/k

ObiwanGinobili
07-07-2006, 09:01 AM
I like the Golden Corral in Universal City. Can't beat all you can eat salad, hot dishes (veggies and meats), bread, desserts, and drinks for $9. We go there at least twice a month on Saturday after we do yard work all morning, so we are really starving and thirsty. We always get our money's worth! And the waitresses are so nice.

i like the Golden Corral in Killeen and the one in Victoria. :tu
you're right - they are excelelnt after a hard days work.

Notorious H.O.P.
07-07-2006, 10:04 AM
Spice Market Buffet at the Aladdin.

Wait, sorry, I was just at a Vegas board before coming over here.

I do Fire Mountain or Coyote Canyon. If I had to choose one, I'd go with CC after a couple of bad experiences with the steaks at FM. Not that I got sick but the quality keeps dropping, they keep overcooking them and not it seems they've stopped spicing them also.

Basically there are no really good buffet options in town as far as I'm concerned. I'm not a fan of Golden Corral but I heard that they recently got better in terms of food quality so maybe I'm due for a return visit.

I used to be all about options but now, I just want to focus on what I want the most. Once I figure that out, I go to the restaurant that I think does the best job in making that particular item.

IMO, there are too many restaurants with good atmosphere and better food (with many inexpensive options) to warrant anything other than a very infrequent trip to a buffet.

pache100
07-07-2006, 10:10 AM
I'm not a fan of Golden Corral but I heard that they recently got better in terms of food quality so maybe I'm due for a return visit.

I don't think the quality of the food at the one in UC ever deteriorated, although I have eaten at some GCs that were not as good as others; I like the one in Hillsboro, too, but I never liked the one in New Braunfels as much - I think that's where the Fire Mountain is now, and I have not eaten there. But, the best Golden Corral I ever saw was in Montrose, Colorado; there's a very good one in Colorado Springs, too . They have cut down on the variety of dishes available on a given day at the one in UC recently, though, we did notice that. They told us, when we asked about it, that certain dishes were "seasonal", but we can't seem to find any rhyme or reason to the seasons they choose to offer them. Example: Why is country fried steak only a "winter" item now? They had it last summer, but not this summer.

IMO, there are too many restaurants with good atmosphere and better food (with many inexpensive options) to warrant anything other than a very infrequent trip to a buffet.

We go to a lot of different types/price ranges of restaurants, and twice a month is not overkill. We like GC because everyone can get what they want - all of anything they want - there's no hassle, it's cheap, and they will give us all the iced tea we need. It's ridiculous how many restaurants there are where it takes an act of Congress to get a tea-refill; the waiters/waitresses act like it's some big inconvenience to refill your glass or that they are having to pay for the refills out of their own pocket. Give me a break. We just stopped going to these places...as you pointed out, there are too many options to be disatisfied. At our Golden Corral, they bring us our own pitcher of tea.

I guess it just all depends on what your priorities are and what you like as to where you like to eat. It takes all kinds to make a world, that's why there are lots of choices.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-07-2006, 10:29 AM
Hometown Buffet-rotating menu, lots of friendly senior citizens

Gold Phoenix-The only "Chinese" restaurant I've ever seen with a sushi selection.

Pancho's- Raise the flag!

Notorious H.O.P.
07-07-2006, 11:33 AM
Example: Why is country fried steak only a "winter" item now? They had it last summer, but not this summer.

Wait a minute. Hold the phone. CFS is a seasonal item? That is a primary staple of my diet and one of my four basic food groups (steak, nachos, CFS and beer). No wonder I haven't gone there in a while.

I used to be a guy who was big on buffets (and getting bigger as a result) but between my new outlook on eating and the fact that my woman doesn't eat too much, I don't get out there very much any more. When I go, it's because my parents or relatives want to go there which brings me to my other point.

Buffets are great for families because of the variety of food they offer. Arm everyone with a plate and let them loose. No discussions about what kind of food to eat and no waiting for people to make up their minds as they endlessly stare at the menu. Everyone is sure to find something they like and no one walks away hungry.

Hometown Buffet-rotating menu, lots of friendly senior citizens

I thought this place closed a while back.

pache100
07-07-2006, 11:41 AM
I thought this place closed a while back.

SFIE is in Houston. The one on Austin Highway in San Antonio is closed. That is the site for the new Earl Abel's restaurant.

Stephen A. Smith
07-07-2006, 11:47 AM
Quite frankly, Pizza Hut's!

Taco
07-07-2006, 11:48 AM
buffet king is pretty damn good just no crab legs that upsets me....

but panchos dude kicks ass lol j/k

MAN I LOVE CRAB LEGS!!!!!!

Notorious H.O.P.
07-07-2006, 11:54 AM
SFIE is in Houston. The one on Austin Highway in San Antonio is closed. That is the site for the new Earl Abel's restaurant.

Gotcha. And the Hometown I was thinking of was over near Bandera and 410. I was thinking that the chain shut down but obviously I was wrong.

SFIE. I'm going to Houston next weekend so maybe you can cut me off on the highway so we can be properly introduced. :lol

The buffet I will do once a month or so is Pizza Hut. I love that place. And I do the Cici's Buffet. May not be the best quality in the world but it does the trick.

pache100
07-07-2006, 12:06 PM
The buffet I will do once a month or so is Pizza Hut. I love that place. And I do the Cici's Buffet. May not be the best quality in the world but it does the trick.

We do Pizza Hut occasionally, but I will only go to the buffet in Converse or on Nacogdoches Rd. I don't care for the others (mostly a service-oriented thing...and they have weird tea at most PHs...these two have normal iced tea). We go to CiCi's, too. It's not bad for the price (and I LOVE that spinach pizza!). The only argument I have against CiCi's is that too many people come in there and turn their kids loose and let them run around like wild Indians. I can do without that, and will whenever possible. I don't mind being around kids as long as they are well-behaved, and I don't really hold it against the kids when they are not...it's the parents that are to blame...you can't expect kids to behave when the parents won't.

If you find yourself in the Universal City/Schertz/Cibolo area on a Wednesday night, try the all-you-can-eat buffet at Catalano's in downtown Cibolo. It's excellent. It's a little pricey, but the difference in the quality of the pizza is worth it.

davi78239
07-07-2006, 12:33 PM
Luby's buffet on Walzem Rd. That's some goood shit right there! Also, high props to Golden Coral in UC.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-07-2006, 12:36 PM
Spice Market Buffet at the Aladdin.

That's actually a great buffet. I agree with the HOP.

Besides, no one said this was limited to SA area buffets.

SpursWoman
07-07-2006, 12:37 PM
Gold Phoenix-The only "Chinese" restaurant I've ever seen with a sushi selection.

I was a Golden Phoenix loyalist until they opened China Sea ... we still go there, but China Sea has a bigger variety. I'm not a sushi fan, but the selection looks better there, too.

jman3000
07-07-2006, 12:48 PM
I hate this thread.

davi78239
07-07-2006, 12:53 PM
I hate this thread.

Why, cause you're getting hungry?

jman3000
07-07-2006, 12:56 PM
Why, cause you're getting hungry?
I swore off buffets a couple of years ago when I gained like 40 lbs in a summer because a chinese buffet was across the street from where I work. I'm still trying to lose some of the extra weight .... but I do miss them so :depressed

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-07-2006, 12:58 PM
I can't do the Asian buffets anymore after my "same tray on a different day" experiment proved that some of them put the same food out on multiple days.

Dutch13
07-07-2006, 05:59 PM
Asian Buffet on Austin Highway

RealEstateDude
07-08-2006, 01:24 AM
they all suk

ChumpDumper
07-08-2006, 01:29 AM
Spice Market Buffet at the Aladdin.That was pretty good, but brunch at The Steakhouse in Circus Circus still has it beat IMO because of the made-to-order steaks that are, well, steakhouse quality.

RogerIsEatingASandwich
07-08-2006, 05:59 AM
Luby's Buffet and Pizza Hut's buffet are pretty good. From time to time i'll also eat at a Golden Coral. Not big with the Asian buffets. Not to big with buffets in general.

I can't stand Cici's Pizza....it just sucks.

Buddy Holly
07-10-2006, 03:03 AM
China Harbor off 281 near 1604 is pretty badass. And their sushi selection is pretty good.

Any one ever been to Buffet King off of Sonterra Place and 1604.

It's a 12.000 sq. ft. chinese buffet.

LONJAS
07-10-2006, 11:10 AM
I just want to thank everyone for the input. I have a week of vacation coming to me and i think i will be making a tour of all the places you have mentioned. if people are interested maybe we can all go in a group.

JoeChalupa
07-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Also, high props to Golden Coral in UC.

I concur.