PDA

View Full Version : Pirates of the Caribbean 2

J.T.
07-07-2006, 03:22 AM
Awesome movie. The ending will surprise you, but...

God damn mother fucking cliffhanger :madrun :pctoss :hang :flipoff :bang

Pirates 3 next summer...

RogerIsEatingASandwich
07-07-2006, 03:24 AM
damn, can't wait to see it... :)

Silver21_Black20
07-07-2006, 03:33 AM
Kick Ass!!! :)

Can't wait to see it.

boutons_
07-07-2006, 04:11 AM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/07/07/arts/07pira.1.650.jpg

July 7, 2006
MOVIE REVIEW
'Pirates of the Caribbean': Eat My Jetsam, Davy Jones
By A. O. SCOTT

AT first glance, it seems like a pretty good deal. You put down your money — still less than $10 in most cities — and in return you get two and a half hours of spirited swashbuckling, with an all-star three-way battle of the cheekbones (Orlando Bloom vs. Keira Knightley vs. Johnny Depp) and some extra-slimy computer-generated imagery thrown in at no additional cost.

But there's a catch, as there usually is. "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" is not just a movie. It's a glistening, sushi-grade chunk of franchise entertainment, which means that maximal enjoyment of it comes with certain obligations. It is the second episode in what will be at least a trilogy — the third installment is scheduled for release next summer — and full appreciation of its whirligig plot will depend on thorough acquaintance with the first "Pirates of the Caribbean" picture, conveniently available for purchase on DVD. And since "Dead Man's Chest" brazenly dispenses with the convention of an ending — it's pretty much all middle — you will, by virtue of buying that ticket, have committed yourself to buying another one a year from now if you're the least bit curious about how the whole thing turns out. By then, chances are good that you will have forgotten most of what happened in "Dead Man's Chest," so you'll have another disc to add to the shopping cart.

The question is: Is it worth it? The same thought probably crosses the minds of Disney theme-park vacationers as they endure endless lines for the ride on which the movies are based, but the notion is quickly banished because nobody likes to feel like a sucker. By a rational calculation of time and money — yours and the untold millions invested by Disney, the producer Jerry Bruckheimer and others — the answer is probably no. But hey, this isn't about that, right? It's about fun. You're there to have fun. Fun for the family. Fun for the kids. Fun for everyone. So shut up and have fun.

And you probably will, even if it's hard to shake the feeling that you've been bullied into it. Gore Verbinski, the director, has an appropriate sense of mischief, as a well as a gift, nearly equaling those of Peter Jackson and Steven Spielberg, for integrating CGI seamlessly into his cinematic compositions. What is curious about the recent crop of high-tech blockbusters is how seriously they take themselves, and unlike, say, "Superman Returns," "Dead Man's Chest" cannot be called pretentious. It makes no claims to being about good and evil, the difficulty of saving the world in the modern era, or the inner lives of any of its characters.

Instead, it sends Elizabeth Swann (Ms. Knightley) and Will Turner (Mr. Bloom), their wedding day ruined in an opening sequence that seems to pay tribute to the old Guns N' Roses "November Rain" video, on a search for the pirate captain Jack Sparrow (Mr. Depp). Jack, as usual, finds himself in all kinds of trouble, pursued not only by agents of the British crown, but also by an undead, squid-faced mariner, the famous Davy Jones, who commands a ghoulish crew of half-human, half-aquatic creatures. These sailors are like the cast of "SpongeBob SquarePants" — or the menu at a seafood restaurant —come to life: Night of the Living Bouillabaisse.

One of them, played by Stellan Skarsgard with a starfish embedded in his face, is Will's long-lost father, a development that adds a gelatinous morsel of father-son pathos to the stew of plots and subplots cooked up by the screenwriters, Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio. Davy Jones himself, meanwhile, speaks in the sinister whisper of Bill Nighy, though it is his swaying mass of facial tentacles that most viewers will remember.

And there are other memorable bits and pieces, visual highlights of a movie with no particular interest in coherence, economy or feeling. Ms. Knightley is, once again, a vision of imperial British pluckiness, with an intriguing dash of romantic recklessness that surfaces toward the end. Mr. Bloom, as is his custom, leaps about, trying to overcome his incurable blandness, and is upstaged by special effects, musical cues, octopus tentacles and pieces of wood. Naomie Harris turns up for a few scenes of hammy voodoo, and Mackenzie Crook and David Bailie contribute some proletarian slapstick. Most of the other members of the first movie's cast show up again, sometimes in surprising circumstances.

The franchise, of course, belongs to Jack Sparrow, and to Mr. Depp. Because this is a sequel, the role is no longer the splendid surprise it was in 2003, when "The Curse of the Black Pearl" charmed audiences and disarmed critics on its way to the third-best domestic box-office gross of the year. But the best parts of "Dead Man's Chest" confirm Jack Sparrow as the most viable Disney cartoon character in quite some time, though his anarchic insouciance has more in common with the work of Chuck Jones or Tex Avery. Mr. Verbinski, for his part, grasps the kinship between today's computer-assisted filmmaking and the hand-drawn animation of old, which lies in the freedom to revise the laws of physics at will. Two sequences in particular stand out, and would stand alone nicely as shorts: I will always think of them as "Fruit Kebab" and "Runaway Hamster Wheel."

But the easy delight that such flights of visual fancy inspires is crowded and blocked by all the other stuff going on in this long, ungainly movie, which for all its busy, buzzing parts, is incapable of standing on its own. It batters you with novelty and works so hard to top itself that exhaustion sets in long before the second hour is over. By next summer, I suppose, we'll all be rested and ready for more.

"Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" is rated PG-13 (Parents strongly cautioned). It has some violent action scenes, and a few moments of gruesome creepy-crawly movie horror.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

Opens today nationwide

Directed by Gore Verbinski; written by Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio, based on characters created by Mr. Elliott, Mr. Rossio, Stuart Beattie and Jay Wolpert from Walt Disney's "Pirates of the Caribbean"; director of photography, Dariusz Wolski; edited by Craig Wood and Stephen Rivkin; music by Hans Zimmer; production designer, Rick Heinrichs; produced by Jerry Bruckheimer; released by Walt Disney Pictures. Running time: 145 minutes.

WITH: Johnny Depp (Jack Sparrow), Orlando Bloom (Will Turner), Keira Knightley (Elizabeth Swann), Stellan Skarsgard (Bootstrap Bill), Bill Nighy (Davy Jones), Jack Davenport (Norrington), Kevin R. McNally (Gibbs), Jonathan Pryce (Gov. Weatherby Swann), Naomie Harris (Tia Dalma), Tom Hollander (Cutler Beckett), Lee Arenberg (Pintel), Mackenzie Crook (Ragetti), David Bailie (Cotton), David Schofield (Mercer) and Martin Klebba (Marty).

J.T.
07-07-2006, 04:29 AM
Also, if you have the DVD of Pirates of the Caribbean 1, you should definitely watch it before you go see Pirates 2. It makes the movie a lot better, and there are some jokes in the second movie that are based on the events in the first movie.

ObiwanGinobili
07-07-2006, 08:59 AM
but the notion is quickly banished because nobody likes to feel like a sucker

how can you feel like a sucker for owning something you really like and enjoy.

this guy really wants to hate it but he can;t cause it;s too good.
maybe he just doesn't like Series?

Fabbs
07-07-2006, 09:43 AM
One out of 4 stars.

boutons_
07-07-2006, 10:18 AM
It will probably do OK in $$$, but it sure sounds like it's mostly a special effects movie, the surprise of Depp/Sparrow's character is gone, the story is weak, and won't be completed until POC/III, if anyone cares by then.

I'll wait for it on cable in a few months.

tlongII
07-07-2006, 10:19 AM
I will go see it. Depp is the bomb.

leemajors
07-07-2006, 10:43 AM
blech.

CubanMustGo
07-07-2006, 11:28 AM
Come up to McKinney and watch it for $2.50. Sure, the theatre's old, but the AC's cold.

phyzik
07-07-2006, 06:38 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/07/06/ew.mov.pirates/index.html

EW review: 'Pirates' a Bermuda Triangle of bad
Arrrgh! Sequel a wild ride that leads nowhere
By Lisa Schwarzbaum
Entertainment Weekly

Thursday, July 6, 2006; Posted: 2:22 p.m. EDT (18:22 GMT)

(Entertainment Weekly) -- I was wrong to be so harsh on "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl" when it steamed into port three years ago.

The original is a thing of balletic grace, theatrical richness of character, and self-effacing economy of action when compared with the shapeless, weightless, endless "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest." The sequel is a version 2.0 that, in its final minutes, portends a future 3.0 of such necessarily staggering, ostentatious extravagance as to bankrupt all but the most iron-walleted of Hollywood producers.

Yes indeed, "Pirates" 2.0 is a theme ride, if by ride you mean a hellish contraption into which a ticket holder is strapped, overstimulated but unsatisfied, and unable to disengage until the operator releases the restraining harness.

The barely intelligible plot hardly matters, except insofar as young sweethearts Will Turner (Orlando Bloom) and Elizabeth Swann (Keira Knightley) are once again thwarted from, as they say in classic pirate movies, getting it on. This time what stands between the two photogenic romantic leads is bluster from a new villainous British prig-in-a-wig, some twitty adult who demands that Will do some impossible thing or another to earn his freedom.

Meanwhile, Jack (the louche weirdness now ratcheted up by the one-of-a-kind Mr. Depp so that jumpin' Jack is an exotic "Cage aux Folles" bird of even fancier lip twitches, wrist curls, and rouged feathers) owes a debt to the underworldly lord of the waterlogged, Davy Jones (Bill Nighy). And Jones commands a ship of dead fools disfigured with pulsating, curling, slimy goiters and squid-like protuberances.

This army of the deep suggests the very picture of ick by teen standards, conjured through the very fanciest of special effects; the clattering skeletons of the original "Pirates" look positively minimalist by comparison.

Anyway, as Jack, Will, and Elizabeth work cooperatively, the makers of "Dead Man's Chest" hurl obstacles in the trio's way with the tenacity -- and undifferentiated agitation -- of shipboard monkeys. Clash after calamity after jokey mishap ensues, with time enough for many of the original secondary players to cash their own paychecks.

But this is where the cheat between sensation and satisfaction comes in, a substitution only likely to become more commonplace as the "Pirates" franchise becomes the very model of modern studio brand extension.

Without character, where's the consequence? Without consequence, where's the joy? Without an artistic stake in eliciting joy (or sadness, or concern, or something other than a glazed giggle at Depp's finery), there's nothing to keep producer Jerry Bruckheimer, director Gore Verbinski, and their screenwriting galleymates from piling on another big false ending, and another, and another, "Caribbean" without end, until a pummeled audience begs for a toilet break and, for mercy's sake, a real conclusion.

Discounting adrenaline rush, fright, nausea, and relief as evidence of dramatic effect, there are no consequences in a theme-park ride: You get on, you get jiggled, you get off. Maybe you even ask for another go-round, because it feels so good when the jiggling stops.

The difference is, a ride runs a few minutes, while "Dead Man's Chest" cranks for what feels like an infernal eternity.

EW Grade: D+

angel_luv
07-07-2006, 06:54 PM
I saw the film today. :elephant

:tu :tu way, way up.

I could go see it again while it is in theaters, which rarely is the case for me.

Smooth Operator
07-07-2006, 07:06 PM
I saw the film today. :elephant

:tu :tu way, way up.

I could go see it again while it is in theaters, which rarely is the case for me.

I didn't know that angels could fly so low!

Would you like to go see a movie with me?

07-07-2006, 07:15 PM
What holds the towel up when she gets out of the shower?

http://img336.imageshack.us/img336/7195/keira108or.jpg

Buddy Holly
07-07-2006, 07:59 PM
It's projected to make 115 million over the three day weekend.

RogerIsEatingASandwich
07-07-2006, 08:40 PM
I just got back from seeing it. It was really good :)

ZStomp
07-07-2006, 08:48 PM
Ehhhhhhhhh

Cant_Be_Faded
07-07-2006, 09:10 PM
Gat damn, Keira is hot. Just say her name out loud. "Keira" Just rolls off the tongue. Sssexxy.

Normally anorexic chicks are disgusting to me, but I dont care if she weighed 10 pounds. She's one fine british peice of arse.

I could gawk at that skinny body all day.

Phenomanul
07-07-2006, 09:30 PM
I guess the pictures don't come any bigger than that....

jman3000
07-07-2006, 09:31 PM
Her face is gorgeous ... it's just that it looks like if there was a strong wind gust she'd be sent flying.

What's the opposite of a butterface?

Cant_Be_Faded
07-07-2006, 09:59 PM
Who cares? She's the hottest youngest chick, and has held that title for like 2 or 3 years now.

I think that is a record, for my lifetime.

Solid D
07-07-2006, 10:05 PM
The mates on the Flying Dutchman are pretty slimy. Not really a date movie or something you would want to see before/after eating a spaghetti dinner. :lol

jman3000
07-07-2006, 10:05 PM
I prefer Scarlett Johansen and her curves.

missmyzte
07-07-2006, 10:45 PM
Any movie with Johnny Depp is worth seeing, I'll definitely go see this. I am disappointed with the idea of a cliff-hanger until next summer, that sucks.

angel_luv
07-07-2006, 10:57 PM
The mates on the Flying Dutchman are pretty slimy. Not really a date movie or something you would want to see before/after eating a spaghetti dinner. :lol

Well said and very true! :)

Some of the scenes in the movie were quite disgusting... I loved it! :fro :lol

Silver21_Black20
07-07-2006, 11:01 PM
Aww...I have to wait until Monday to see it. :madrun

Trainwreck2100
07-07-2006, 11:42 PM
The score wasn't as good as the first one, but I totally marked out at the ending

DirkAB
07-08-2006, 12:00 AM
Ehhhhhhhhh

Way better than Superman. The ending was very unique, liked it a lot.

leemajors
07-08-2006, 12:31 AM
johnny depp could cover lick it up by kiss and it would go platinum.

DirkAB
07-08-2006, 12:41 AM
johnny depp could cover lick it up by kiss and it would go platinum.

I don't know, I don't think that The Libertine did very well, at all.

Silver21_Black20
07-08-2006, 01:16 AM
I don't know, I don't think that The Libertine did very well, at all.

True. I never heard of that movie until I saw the commercial for the DVD. Depp is an exceptional actor though. I love how he does roles he wants and how he really gets into character. And how he isn't an attention whore like Tom Cruise.

TheTruth
07-08-2006, 01:19 AM
Saw it. Liked it. Ending pissed me off.

Carie
07-08-2006, 07:02 AM
Great movie. Not as good as the first, of course. Did anyone else have a hard time understanding some of the dialogue because of the accents?

And I think there was more excitement in the theater when they showed the Transformers' trailer than when the movie started :)

J.T.
07-08-2006, 09:38 AM
Michael Bay isn't the right director for Transformers. It's just going to be two hours of blowing shit up.

SequNets
07-08-2006, 09:39 AM
Pretty cool movie, but not as good/funny as the first one.

Mark in Austin
07-08-2006, 12:30 PM
The review from Ain't It Cool News (http://www.aintitcool.com). I think he liked it.

Harry loves PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MAN'S CHEST.

Mateys and scalawags – drink up, PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MAN’S CHEST is 20,000 leagues more badbum than the original. This film is just frecking swaggeringly cool from beginning to end.

Seriously. Johnny Depp was recently quoted as saying he’d love to do as many PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN flicks as Disney can produce great scripts for. For me… I couldn’t be happier.

The first film was wonderful for Depp’s Captain Jack Sparrow, the Black Pearl’s Cursed Captain and Crew and Monkey… but honestly – I wasn’t solidly behind Orlando Bloom’s character – and Keira… while lovely – just never was as feisty or fun as say Maureen O’Hara in BLACK SWAN or Olivia DeHavilland in CAPTAIN BLOOD. The gals in these films are awesome when they’re “good girls” that just want to drop the petticoat and be ravished by that dirty, evil, undeniably charismatic pirate. Instead – they paired her up with “the Ronald Reagan” character. Now sure, Reagan was never in any of Flynn’s Pirate flicks – but he was in SANTE FE TRAIL – and he’s just so (Uma draw the outline) SQUARE. Orlando was SQUARE. I mean… his dad was a pirate? That makes him wrong? Hardly. And meanwhile – you have Johnny Depp creating the best bloody “where the Hades did that character come from” character in forever.

Seriously – Johnny just magically pulled Jack Sparrow out of some bizarre corner of quirk in his soul. Genius.

This time. This time, this is OFFICIALLY – a Jack Sparrow film. Sure the other characters are there. Orlando has his “motivation” and “arc.” As does Keira’s Elizabeth… but both are truly supporting characters to the star of this show, which is clearly Jack Sparrow… excuse me, CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow.

Everything in the film. Every character is a satellite of Jack Sparrow. The world revolves around him. Why are Will and Elizabeth jockeying around the Caribbean? Captain Jack Sparrow. Why is the “Man” buggering with Will, Elizabeth and anyone standing around? Captain Jack Sparrow. Why is Davy Jones so swab the decks pissed? Captain Jack Sparrow. Guano man, even when he beaches his beloved Pearl aboard a Cannibal Island… Jack is declared their God. Everyone, everywhere has a story about Jack. A reaction to his name. A tale that was passed with a bottle of rum. Drink up of both, I say!

In this film – we begin to find out more about Sparrow’s “utility belt.” Seriously – Like Batman – this bloke has wonderful toys on his person that just doesn’t make a bit of sense… until it’s shown to be... BLIMEY MAGIC! And I’m not just talking about the mystical sense of the word. I’m talking about magic in the sense of… WOW – That’s Magic! How it’s just motorscooter perfect.

Like that dagburn compass of his. First film, I looked at it… and through the whole bleeding film I had utterly no concept of what it was doing. Why was it so precious? I knew it pointed the way to the Aztec Gold – but really… what’s the big whup? Actually… what that compass can do – is flat out MAGIC. It’s possibly the most useful device for adventure and happiness that you could ever wish for. I won’t spoil it, but it is magic. And every time something magic is revealed about a piece of Jack’s character – I couldn’t help, but be delighted beyond words.

I know he’s like some crazed Dean Martin character that never swaggered upon screen before – there’s some Chaplin in there, some Errol Flynn – and a lot of pure Johnny Depp. There’s a part of me that thinks the direction of this film by Gore Verbinski is all at once the easiest and hardest job ever. Johnny has his lines – and I know he’s delivering what’s on the page, but you get the idea – that Johnny is so alive in the character and the scene, that there’s a plethora of distractions he explores. As if he’s aware the camera is on him. And he doesn’t want whoever is watching him to know what he’s doing. And frankly – we really don’t know what he’s up to half the time, but due to focusing on his character this time out – we do know, basically, what he’s aiming for, but not necessarily to what ends. Sure – there’s the initial “get out of hock with Davy Jones,” but I suspect Capt Jack is far more mischievous than that.

Now – I mentioned briefly Davy Jones. For at least 3 centuries now, folk have been referring to Davy Jones. In 1751, Tobias Smollett in his book, THE ADVENTURES OF PEREGRINE PICKLE stated the following about Davy Jones:

“This same Davy Jones, according to the mythology of sailors, is the fiend that presides over all the evil spirits of the deep, and is often seen in various shapes, perching among the rigging on the eve of hurricanes, ship-wrecks, and other disasters to which sea-faring life is exposed, warning the devoted wretch of death and woe.”

Well, after this film… You’ll never forget Davy Jones. Like Andy Serkis’ GOLLUM, Bill Nighy puts soul into Davy Jones. I love how Kevin McNally’s Gibbs is a chronicler and tale-teller of the legends of the sea, including those of his own captain. As Davy is described, his tale – we’re set up for the character’s pathos. But when you know that you’re gonna be looking at a squid head creature from the dark unwritten corner of H.P. Lovecraft… are you really thinking of associating with him, feeling sorry for him… fearing him? Yes, but how is he going to emote?

Well – ILM has finally answered the call that came from New Zealand 5 years ago. This is, without a moment’s hesitation – the best CG character work I’ve seen.

GOLLUM!

Gollum is the better character, in that we saw such an enormous amount of character work – but Davy Jones is less humanoid… he’s even further removed from humanity – and yet it comes through. People may go gaga over the Kraken or the enormity of the work being done on the crew… but when John Knoll takes the microphone at next year’s Academy Awards for his first Oscar for Best Special Fx… it is this character that is being honored. It’s the nuance of the performance, the way he absolutely is alive in these scenes without being overtly showy. Like… Watch how he grabs the dice cup, when he plays Will Turner in their betting game. It’s a tiny flourish that just took my breath away. A John Han-wee-wee, so to speak. It’s so cool. Now as awesome as he is playing his pipe organ all James Mason, 20,000 LEAGUES BENEATH THE SEA fashion… I prefer the simple look on his tired face as he looks at that locket, which we can only assume is the ache that cut his heart from within.

That said – this is finally a film that Crash designed, where the actual screen images look far better than his already stunning work. This stuff is inventive in a way that you just don’t see in films often.

I love the casting of this series. And specifically – I love how every character that they give time to in this film… they’re just much better than they were in the first film… and yet there’s room for so many extra characters, without ever selling the “stars” short. It’s just a complete actualized universe.

Oh – did I mention… as a fan of the original ride, how fucking happy I was at the lightning bugs inclusion, when they go up river to seek out Tia Dalma? Cuz, I am. The mist, the lightning bugs… I almost felt the water rocking my seat on the ride. Just fantastic.

Now – how are the Problem Children from the first film?

Well, Keira finally has a couple of scenes where you just want the film to suddenly turn into PIRATES OF THE REAR-END: NO MAN’S CHEST. Absolutely smoldering and sexy. While still retaining her hesitance to go further than “she should.” I love how at one point she’s so frustrated, because she really wants to get “married” – which in the way she and everyone else refers to it – it seems to denote, getting laid. And there is definitely that, “I need to copulate” thing going on with her. Any viewer will pick up on it, and it’s very tastefully handled. It’s there for the adults to see, and for the kids to blissfully look past.

Ok – I’m gonna wrap this up, as I don’t want to be a spoiler-bum with the review. The less you know – the more breathtaking this film will be. I do want to address the “cliff-hanger” ending that allegedly has audiences in a tizzy somewhere in this idiotic world.

This isn’t a cliffhanger like… Thelma And Louise drive off a cliff and suddenly letters come up blazing across the screen, “THELMA AND LOUISE 2: THE DEVIL’S RIDE!”

Rather – this is a fantastic and natural ending for the second chapter of what will soon be an on-going cinematic tale What it does, is leave you wanting to see the next one. And if they bollocks up WORLD’S END – I’m gonna be perturbed in a really unrelenting way. Cuz I absolutely love love love this “chapter” in the Captain Jack Sparrow Chronicles.

This series is the single most inventive and vibrant franchise moving forward today. Let us hope they continue to be as inspired from this film forward.

leemajors
07-08-2006, 12:33 PM
i still don't understand why people pay attention to harry.

TheSanityAnnex
07-08-2006, 01:40 PM
The review from Ain't It Cool News (http://www.aintitcool.com). I think he liked it.

Harry loves PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MAN'S CHEST.

Mateys and scalawags – drink up, PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MAN’S CHEST is 20,000 leagues more badbum than the original. This film is just frecking swaggeringly cool from beginning to end.

Seriously. Johnny Depp was recently quoted as saying he’d love to do as many PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN flicks as Disney can produce great scripts for. For me… I couldn’t be happier.

The first film was wonderful for Depp’s Captain Jack Sparrow, the Black Pearl’s Cursed Captain and Crew and Monkey… but honestly – I wasn’t solidly behind Orlando Bloom’s character – and Keira… while lovely – just never was as feisty or fun as say Maureen O’Hara in BLACK SWAN or Olivia DeHavilland in CAPTAIN BLOOD. The gals in these films are awesome when they’re “good girls” that just want to drop the petticoat and be ravished by that dirty, evil, undeniably charismatic pirate. Instead – they paired her up with “the Ronald Reagan” character. Now sure, Reagan was never in any of Flynn’s Pirate flicks – but he was in SANTE FE TRAIL – and he’s just so (Uma draw the outline) SQUARE. Orlando was SQUARE. I mean… his dad was a pirate? That makes him wrong? Hardly. And meanwhile – you have Johnny Depp creating the best bloody “where the Hades did that character come from” character in forever.

Seriously – Johnny just magically pulled Jack Sparrow out of some bizarre corner of quirk in his soul. Genius.

This time. This time, this is OFFICIALLY – a Jack Sparrow film. Sure the other characters are there. Orlando has his “motivation” and “arc.” As does Keira’s Elizabeth… but both are truly supporting characters to the star of this show, which is clearly Jack Sparrow… excuse me, CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow.

Everything in the film. Every character is a satellite of Jack Sparrow. The world revolves around him. Why are Will and Elizabeth jockeying around the Caribbean? Captain Jack Sparrow. Why is the “Man” buggering with Will, Elizabeth and anyone standing around? Captain Jack Sparrow. Why is Davy Jones so swab the decks pissed? Captain Jack Sparrow. Guano man, even when he beaches his beloved Pearl aboard a Cannibal Island… Jack is declared their God. Everyone, everywhere has a story about Jack. A reaction to his name. A tale that was passed with a bottle of rum. Drink up of both, I say!

In this film – we begin to find out more about Sparrow’s “utility belt.” Seriously – Like Batman – this bloke has wonderful toys on his person that just doesn’t make a bit of sense… until it’s shown to be... BLIMEY MAGIC! And I’m not just talking about the mystical sense of the word. I’m talking about magic in the sense of… WOW – That’s Magic! How it’s just motorscooter perfect.

Like that dagburn compass of his. First film, I looked at it… and through the whole bleeding film I had utterly no concept of what it was doing. Why was it so precious? I knew it pointed the way to the Aztec Gold – but really… what’s the big whup? Actually… what that compass can do – is flat out MAGIC. It’s possibly the most useful device for adventure and happiness that you could ever wish for. I won’t spoil it, but it is magic. And every time something magic is revealed about a piece of Jack’s character – I couldn’t help, but be delighted beyond words.

I know he’s like some crazed Dean Martin character that never swaggered upon screen before – there’s some Chaplin in there, some Errol Flynn – and a lot of pure Johnny Depp. There’s a part of me that thinks the direction of this film by Gore Verbinski is all at once the easiest and hardest job ever. Johnny has his lines – and I know he’s delivering what’s on the page, but you get the idea – that Johnny is so alive in the character and the scene, that there’s a plethora of distractions he explores. As if he’s aware the camera is on him. And he doesn’t want whoever is watching him to know what he’s doing. And frankly – we really don’t know what he’s up to half the time, but due to focusing on his character this time out – we do know, basically, what he’s aiming for, but not necessarily to what ends. Sure – there’s the initial “get out of hock with Davy Jones,” but I suspect Capt Jack is far more mischievous than that.

Now – I mentioned briefly Davy Jones. For at least 3 centuries now, folk have been referring to Davy Jones. In 1751, Tobias Smollett in his book, THE ADVENTURES OF PEREGRINE PICKLE stated the following about Davy Jones:

“This same Davy Jones, according to the mythology of sailors, is the fiend that presides over all the evil spirits of the deep, and is often seen in various shapes, perching among the rigging on the eve of hurricanes, ship-wrecks, and other disasters to which sea-faring life is exposed, warning the devoted wretch of death and woe.”

Well, after this film… You’ll never forget Davy Jones. Like Andy Serkis’ GOLLUM, Bill Nighy puts soul into Davy Jones. I love how Kevin McNally’s Gibbs is a chronicler and tale-teller of the legends of the sea, including those of his own captain. As Davy is described, his tale – we’re set up for the character’s pathos. But when you know that you’re gonna be looking at a squid head creature from the dark unwritten corner of H.P. Lovecraft… are you really thinking of associating with him, feeling sorry for him… fearing him? Yes, but how is he going to emote?

Well – ILM has finally answered the call that came from New Zealand 5 years ago. This is, without a moment’s hesitation – the best CG character work I’ve seen.

GOLLUM!

Gollum is the better character, in that we saw such an enormous amount of character work – but Davy Jones is less humanoid… he’s even further removed from humanity – and yet it comes through. People may go gaga over the Kraken or the enormity of the work being done on the crew… but when John Knoll takes the microphone at next year’s Academy Awards for his first Oscar for Best Special Fx… it is this character that is being honored. It’s the nuance of the performance, the way he absolutely is alive in these scenes without being overtly showy. Like… Watch how he grabs the dice cup, when he plays Will Turner in their betting game. It’s a tiny flourish that just took my breath away. A John Han-wee-wee, so to speak. It’s so cool. Now as awesome as he is playing his pipe organ all James Mason, 20,000 LEAGUES BENEATH THE SEA fashion… I prefer the simple look on his tired face as he looks at that locket, which we can only assume is the ache that cut his heart from within.

That said – this is finally a film that Crash designed, where the actual screen images look far better than his already stunning work. This stuff is inventive in a way that you just don’t see in films often.

I love the casting of this series. And specifically – I love how every character that they give time to in this film… they’re just much better than they were in the first film… and yet there’s room for so many extra characters, without ever selling the “stars” short. It’s just a complete actualized universe.

Oh – did I mention… as a fan of the original ride, how fucking happy I was at the lightning bugs inclusion, when they go up river to seek out Tia Dalma? Cuz, I am. The mist, the lightning bugs… I almost felt the water rocking my seat on the ride. Just fantastic.

Now – how are the Problem Children from the first film?

Well, Keira finally has a couple of scenes where you just want the film to suddenly turn into PIRATES OF THE REAR-END: NO MAN’S CHEST. Absolutely smoldering and sexy. While still retaining her hesitance to go further than “she should.” I love how at one point she’s so frustrated, because she really wants to get “married” – which in the way she and everyone else refers to it – it seems to denote, getting laid. And there is definitely that, “I need to copulate” thing going on with her. Any viewer will pick up on it, and it’s very tastefully handled. It’s there for the adults to see, and for the kids to blissfully look past.

Ok – I’m gonna wrap this up, as I don’t want to be a spoiler-bum with the review. The less you know – the more breathtaking this film will be. I do want to address the “cliff-hanger” ending that allegedly has audiences in a tizzy somewhere in this idiotic world.

This isn’t a cliffhanger like… Thelma And Louise drive off a cliff and suddenly letters come up blazing across the screen, “THELMA AND LOUISE 2: THE DEVIL’S RIDE!”

Rather – this is a fantastic and natural ending for the second chapter of what will soon be an on-going cinematic tale What it does, is leave you wanting to see the next one. And if they bollocks up WORLD’S END – I’m gonna be perturbed in a really unrelenting way. Cuz I absolutely love love love this “chapter” in the Captain Jack Sparrow Chronicles.

This series is the single most inventive and vibrant franchise moving forward today. Let us hope they continue to be as inspired from this film forward.

I can't help but think this guy had a boner throughout the entire film.

Saw the movie last night. Enjoyed it. Have to wait another year to see the ending which kind of sucks.

leemajors
07-08-2006, 02:32 PM
i forget which studio is putting out ghost house, but they rented out the alamo south lamar for 24 hours for harry to screen it. that was his demand, and they did it.

Silver21_Black20
07-08-2006, 05:12 PM
I feel like I'm the only one who hasn't seen it. :madrun

jman3000
07-08-2006, 05:22 PM

I haven't seen it either ... but I'll probably see it before you!

sucker.

Silver21_Black20
07-08-2006, 05:29 PM
I haven't seen it either ... but I'll probably see it before you!

sucker.

:pctoss

jman3000
07-08-2006, 05:31 PM
:pctoss
That brings joy to my heart.

ZStomp
07-08-2006, 05:32 PM

I haven't and its ok with me.

No rush.

So if you want to see it so bad- why dn't you just go?

Silver21_Black20
07-08-2006, 05:55 PM
I haven't and its ok with me.

No rush.

So if you want to see it so bad- why don't you just go?

I'm taking my niece and she had plans today and I have a softball game tomorrow so I'm taking her on Monday.

spurs=bling
07-08-2006, 08:07 PM
you aren't alone i loved the first one. i really want to go and see it.but as you know i won't be able to anytime soon.

Silver21_Black20
07-08-2006, 08:13 PM
you aren't alone i loved the first one. i really want to go and see it.but as you know i won't be able to anytime soon.

Yea...that sucks.

If you lived in SA, I'd take you too to go see it. :)

spurs=bling
07-08-2006, 08:22 PM
Yea...that sucks.

If you lived in SA, I'd take you too to go see it. :)
you are too kind.

Solid D
07-08-2006, 08:38 PM
I'm taking my niece and she had plans today and I have a softball game tomorrow so I'm taking her on Monday.

I hope your niece is old enough not to get nightmares. Just for what it's worth.

Silver21_Black20
07-08-2006, 08:41 PM
I hope your niece is old enough not to get nightmares. Just for what it's worth.

She's 13 and she loved the first one.

Thanks though.

scott
07-08-2006, 09:00 PM
My one word review of Pirates 2:

Meh.

Solid D
07-08-2006, 09:14 PM
She's 13 and she loved the first one.

Thanks though.

Yeah, that's plenty old enough.

angel_luv
07-08-2006, 09:40 PM
Yeah, that's plenty old enough.

The movie would have kept me up at 13, but I have always been sensitive that way.

Silver21_Black20
07-08-2006, 09:54 PM
The movie would have kept me up at 13, but I have always been sensitive that way.

My niece is a tough cookie. :lol

Solid D
07-08-2006, 10:01 PM
My wife was grossed-out. :lol

Zombie
07-08-2006, 11:44 PM
My wife was grossed-out. :lol
You shouldn't have married your 13 year old niece! :lol

Silver21_Black20
07-08-2006, 11:45 PM
'Pirates' $55M estimated haul sets record
By GREG RISLING, Associated Press Writer

Move over Darth Vader. Captain Jack Sparrow is king for a day. Preliminary estimates released by Disney show that "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" earned $55.5 million on Friday, which would set the record for the largest one-day take at the box office.

The previous record was set last year by "Star Wars: Episode III — Revenge of the Sith," which grossed about $50 million.

The movie was shown on 4,133 screens, beginning at midnight Friday. Only 2004's "Shrek 2" and "Spider-Man 2" debuted on more screens.

Disney also received reports of continuous sellouts and requests to add more screens at multiplexes.

"We're obviously thrilled beyond belief. Anytime you break an industry record ... the word ecstatic comes to mind," said Chuck Viane, head of distribution at Disney.

The swashbuckling sequel is on pace to eclipse the three-day, box-office record held by "Spider-Man" in 2002 with $114.8 million.

"This goes a long way of dispelling the notion that people don't want to go to movies anymore," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-officer tracker Exhibitor Relations. "People aren't waiting for the DVD on this one. They are going out to see it."

Hollywood has been mired in a filmmaking slump. Last year audiences stayed away from such offerings as the action bombs "Stealth" and "The Island," and the remakes "House of Wax" and "The Bad News Bears."

Revenues this year to date are at $4.6 billion, 5 percent ahead of last year's disappointing take, though factoring in higher ticket prices, attendance is up just 1.7 percent.

At the current pace, 2006 ticket sales would come in slightly below Hollywood's average of 1.46 billion a year over the last decade.

But Dergarabedian said those fortunes could change with "Pirates."

"It's on track to make $120 million or more this weekend," he said. "It's a monumental number. It's a great place for the industry to be right now."

Preliminary three-day box-office estimates were to be released Sunday, with final figures expected Monday.

Solid D
07-08-2006, 11:56 PM
You shouldn't have married your 13 year old niece! :lol

Excellent deductive reasoning there Zombie. (Does someone want to tell him?)

katyon6th
07-09-2006, 12:19 AM
Saw it and thought it was great.

Johnny Depp can do no wrong in my eyes.

kobe_bryant
07-09-2006, 01:45 AM
If I was in the movie, I think it could have taken over 75 million on the first day

Winnipeg_Spur
07-09-2006, 03:20 AM
Pretty bad. I'd have to rewatch the original, but I swear Orlando Bloom was even worse in this one (and he was pretty fucking wooden in the first). Depp was still good, but you can't expect a man to carry an entire trilogy on his back.

Sense
07-09-2006, 03:23 AM
omg go here for a PRO one...
review that is
http://www.askaninja.com/node/1175

Trainwreck2100
07-09-2006, 11:16 AM
the "end of the world" is fucking China

http://i75.imagethrust.com/i/486524/skypotc3sign.jpg

PeterBurns
07-09-2006, 05:37 PM
Crappy Movie.
Liked the 1st one, but this one had a plot that never came together, and you could hardly understand a word they said.

Cool effects but not enough to carry the movie
Report Card. C-

Fabbs
07-10-2006, 01:02 AM
Saw it and thought it was great.

I am in no way, shape or form wanting to rain on or alter in any way your view of the movie or your Johny Depp picnic.
Serious question for you and all other female or gay viewers who loved it for the same Depp reason:

If Johny Depp farted on your face for over 20 seconds, would you object?

Cant_Be_Faded
07-10-2006, 01:06 AM
Part 1 was better, Depp didn't play the part of sparrow that well this time.

leemajors
07-10-2006, 08:15 AM

a 300 pound man with queso running through his veins begs to differ.

Silver21_Black20
07-11-2006, 12:07 AM
Boxoffice treasures galore for record-setting "Pirates"
Mon Jul 10,10:41 PM ET

Johnny Depp and his cast of beautiful mates pillaged the North American boxoffice and took with them a slew of boxoffice records with this weekend's opening of "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest."

The Buena Vista Pictures release earned $135.6 million in its first three days at the boxoffice, surpassing the record held by the 2002 release of "Spider-Man." Also, "Dead Man's Chest" broke "Star Wars: Episode III -- Revenge of the Sith's" opening-day record of $50 million with its enormous opening-day figure of $55.5 million. Bowing in 4,133 theaters, the film had a phenomenal per-theater average of $32,817.

The Jerry Bruckheimer-produced, Gore Verbinski-directed bonanza can also add top three-day non-holiday opener to its list of records, in addition to being the first film to break the $100 million barrier in 48 hours.

The film did much to boost the North American boxoffice, with a 46 percent gain over the same weekend last year. It also marked the eighth consecutive up weekend for the summer, raising the overall boxoffice an estimated 6.8 percent compared with last year. The boxoffice remains down an estimated 4 percent compared with the same period in 2004.

Much of "Dead Man's Chest's" allure can be attributed to audiences' interest in the continued story of Captain Jack coupled with Depp's broad appeal, especially among women. In fact, according to CinemaScore, the audience was 57 percent women -- obviously attracted to Depp sporting eyeliner and a Keith Richards swagger.

CinemaScore also indicated that the audience was practically evenly split between the under-25 and over-25 demographics. The pollster company reported that 91 percent of audiences gave the movie a positive grade, which is much more favorable than how the critics rated the film. According to Web review compilation site RottenTomatoes.com, "Dead Man's Chest" was rated favorably by only 53 percent of critics.

Silver21_Black20
07-11-2006, 12:08 AM
I saw it today and enjoyed it very much.

angel_luv
07-11-2006, 08:42 AM

I did kind of miss his Sparrow antics.

Fabbs
07-11-2006, 10:24 AM
Boxoffice treasures galore for record-setting "Pirates"
Mon Jul 10,10:41 PM ET

Much of "Dead Man's Chest's" allure can be attributed to audiences' interest in the continued story of Captain Jack coupled with Depp's broad appeal, especially among women. In fact, according to CinemaScore, the audience was 57 percent women -- obviously attracted to Depp sporting eyeliner and a Keith Richards swagger.

CinemaScore also indicated that the audience was practically evenly split between the under-25 and over-25 demographics. The pollster company reported that 91 percent of audiences gave the movie a positive grade, which is much more favorable than how the critics rated the film. According to Web review compilation site RottenTomatoes.com, "Dead Man's Chest" was rated favorably by only 53 percent of critics.

Interesting. I wonder what they meant by "positive grade"? Like on a scale of 100 if one said "meh i give it a 51" would that be positive while their boyfriend gave it a "meh 49" would that be a neg?
CinemaScores scoring a related audience is their giving "A Walk to Remember" with Mandy Moore 2002 an A
Quote "Teen females rallied behind the high school romance A Walk to Remember and powered it to the largest opening among the weekend's five new films with a Friday-to-Sunday gross of $12.2M. Playing in 2,411 theaters, the Mandy Moore-Shane West drama averaged an adoring $5,051 per classroom. Audiences reacted positively as moviegoers polled by CinemaScore gave the $10M film an A grade with the target demo of young females honoring it with an A+." -end article.

Typical real life responses amoung female audience members are:
"They (Bloom and Depp)could be speaking a different lanuage and I could watch them for hours on end!"
"I could sit and watch Johnny and Orlando read the paper for 2 hours!"

Myself I would like to see a poll of hetero males who are neither pussy whipped nor in the presense of S.O. when giving a Pirates2 rating.

I am not raining on your Pirates picnic SB2120, nor do i expect you to give a hoot what I think about the movie. But it is interesting to break down demigraphics and group choices. Lets see how Pirates leggs are.
BTW, for you: Johny or Orlando?

leemajors
07-11-2006, 10:58 AM
movie legs don't last long these days, especially with it showing on so many screens. the last pirates movie had legs and lots of repeat viewings.

Fabbs
07-11-2006, 11:20 AM
movie legs don't last long these days, especially with it showing on so many screens. the last pirates movie had legs and lots of repeat viewings.

I dunno the # of chicks who would pay to see Bloom and Depp watch paint dry is vast.....I think it will depend upon what other competing blockbusters will coming out in the next month. I don't think there are any?

Silver21_Black20
07-11-2006, 02:16 PM
Interesting. I wonder what they meant by "positive grade"? Like on a scale of 100 if one said "meh i give it a 51" would that be positive while their boyfriend gave it a "meh 49" would that be a neg?
CinemaScores scoring a related audience is their giving "A Walk to Remember" with Mandy Moore 2002 an A
Quote "Teen females rallied behind the high school romance A Walk to Remember and powered it to the largest opening among the weekend's five new films with a Friday-to-Sunday gross of $12.2M. Playing in 2,411 theaters, the Mandy Moore-Shane West drama averaged an adoring $5,051 per classroom. Audiences reacted positively as moviegoers polled by CinemaScore gave the $10M film an A grade with the target demo of young females honoring it with an A+." -end article.

Typical real life responses amoung female audience members are:
"They (Bloom and Depp)could be speaking a different lanuage and I could watch them for hours on end!"
"I could sit and watch Johnny and Orlando read the paper for 2 hours!"

Myself I would like to see a poll of hetero males who are neither pussy whipped nor in the presense of S.O. when giving a Pirates2 rating.

I am not raining on your Pirates picnic SB2120, nor do i expect you to give a hoot what I think about the movie. But it is interesting to break down demigraphics and group choices. Lets see how Pirates leggs are.
BTW, for you: Johny or Orlando?

I understand where you are coming from but usually I don't rely on movie critics or "CinemaScores" when it comes to me wanting to watch a movie. The first Pirates was really good that I wanted to see the second one and next summer I'll see the third one. For a movie like Pirates, I'd expect the demographics to be evenly split between males and females. I'd also expect it to have another big weekend than begin to taper off as all movies tend to do.

And for me it's Johnny Depp but this stems from me loving movies like "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" and "Blow." Like I said before, he is an exceptional actor.

Jimcs50
07-11-2006, 02:29 PM

What if he stuck a fork in them?

:spin

Jimcs50
07-11-2006, 02:30 PM
Crappy Movie.
Liked the 1st one, but this one had a plot that never came together, and you could hardly understand a word they said.

Cool effects but not enough to carry the movie
Report Card. C-

Juuuust great....we are going to see it tonight, now I am not that excited about it at all. Thanks a lot.

PM5K
07-11-2006, 03:02 PM
What a horrible movie...

Way too long....

Basically a preview for the third...

First was good, this was pathetic...

angel_luv
07-11-2006, 03:06 PM
Juuuust great....we are going to see it tonight, now I am not that excited about it at all. Thanks a lot.

I think you will like it. :)

angel_luv
07-11-2006, 05:29 PM
Haha. I am going to see Pirates again tonight. A friend just called and wants to go.

PM5K
07-11-2006, 05:32 PM
Haha. I am going to see Pirates again tonight. A friend just called and wants to go.

Haha, get a life...

CuckingFunt
07-11-2006, 09:45 PM
Haha, get a life...
Wouldn't going to the movies with a friend count as having a life?

Marklar MM
07-11-2006, 09:55 PM
My life consists of downloading movies and watching them with popcorn. That is how I go to the movies.

leemajors
07-11-2006, 10:53 PM
My life consists of downloading movies and watching them with popcorn. That is how I go to the movies.

amen, especially with how much it costs to go to the movies and have popcorn. ticket, popcorn, drink - $16 if you are lucky to see some remake.

Pablo Escobar
07-11-2006, 11:37 PM
i liked it but some fuckhead thought he was the only one at the movie and wanted to answer his phone and talk all loud and shit fuck i hate that shit

J.T.
07-12-2006, 12:04 AM
i liked it but some fuckhead thought he was the only one at the movie and wanted to answer his phone and talk all loud and shit fuck i hate that shit

That's nothing, when I saw Batman Begins some shithead was shining a laser pen at the screen for like the whole damn movie. And the entire theater was telling him to fuck off but he kept doing it. I had to go see the movie again because it was such a distraction.

But we got free passes from the manager for it so it wasn't all bad.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-12-2006, 12:20 AM
Jack Sparrow was not as funny or good as in part one. I don't know if ti was depp's fault or the writers, but something wasn't the same.

The humor of the movie, adn sparrow's humor seemed a little too forced.

The fight scenes were entertaining, but incredibly fake, but then again that made them a little more entertaining. Bloom was such a chode. Keira was insanely hot, but it was lame how she's an expert swordswoman now.

The humor was just all too forced

Jimcs50
07-12-2006, 10:53 AM
I liked it.

:smokin

J.T.
07-12-2006, 11:28 AM
Bloom was such a chode. Keira was insanely hot, but it was lame how she's an expert swordswoman now.

Did you hear the line she said when Will taught her to use a sword.

The humor was just all too forced

Yeah like that waste of time on the island with the native tribe that thought he was their god and that stupid 30 minute fight on the wheel...movie could have done without that.

angel_luv
07-12-2006, 11:57 AM
I liked it.

I'm glad. :)

I wouldn't call the film a classic by any means, but for the middle movie of a trilogy, it was good.

Fabbs
07-12-2006, 02:52 PM
I understand where you are coming from but usually I don't rely on movie critics or "CinemaScores" when it comes to me wanting to watch a movie. The first Pirates was really good that I wanted to see the second one and next summer I'll see the third one. For a movie like Pirates, I'd expect the demographics to be evenly split between males and females. I'd also expect it to have another big weekend than begin to taper off as all movies tend to do.

And for me it's Johnny Depp but this stems from me loving movies like "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" and "Blow." Like I said before, he is an exceptional actor.

Female viewers definitely liked P2 better then males.

First Pirates >> 2nd to a lot of viewers.
Males to Females I absolutely think the demigraphics on P2 is that the women at a 90% clip think it was fantastic, due mostly to Depp and Bloom as eye candy, you girls in general couldn't give a hoot about the script. Males some found it great, majority thought it was average-okay and a small but good sized small portion of us thought it sucked, nothing more then a Pirates of the Proffiteering.

Blow i also liked that movie very much. I thought that was a much better acting job by Depp then any of his "out there" characters in his other movies.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-12-2006, 05:46 PM
Did you hear the line she said when Will taught her to use a sword.

duh, but it's still stupid, she was able to fight double handed against other people who have been pirates their whole adult lives?

i know its for kids, but geesh

spurs=bling
07-12-2006, 05:52 PM
damn it i still haven't seen it

Fabbs
07-13-2006, 12:24 PM
damn it i still haven't seen it
what's the holdup?

spurs=bling
07-13-2006, 05:11 PM
what's the holdup?
i've been busy and i just got back from Austin yesterday. but i saw it today it was alright.

Fabbs
07-13-2006, 07:49 PM
i've been busy and i just got back from Austin yesterday. but i saw it today it was alright.
:wow You're not googoo gagaa over Capn Jack and/or Will Turner Jr?

spurs=bling
07-13-2006, 10:46 PM
:wow You're not googoo gagaa over Capn Jack and/or Will Turner Jr?

of course. Orlando Bloom and Johnny Depp are hot :smokin

Silver21_Black20
07-13-2006, 10:49 PM
Johnny Depp >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Orlando Bloom

spurs=bling
07-13-2006, 10:51 PM
Orlando>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Johnny

angel_luv
07-13-2006, 10:52 PM
Johnny Depp >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Orlando Bloom

Johnny Depp is cute to me as Jack Sparrow but not in real life.

Orlando Bloom is kind of cute but not really my type.

jman3000
07-13-2006, 10:55 PM
Rasho>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Everyone

angel_luv
07-13-2006, 11:00 PM
:tu :elephant

Best quote ever J. :)

Silver21_Black20
07-13-2006, 11:01 PM
Johnny Depp is cute to me as Jack Sparrow but not in real life.

Blasphemy!!!!!

I am deeply hurt, angel :depressed

spurs=bling
07-13-2006, 11:02 PM
Blasphemy!!!!!

I am deeply hurt, angel :depressed

its okay, you can have Depp and i'll take Orlando

angel_luv
07-13-2006, 11:14 PM
Blingy has the right idea.

Depp for you and Bloom for her.

Besides it isn't like I could beat you out for Depp anyway. :)

Kori Ellis
07-13-2006, 11:21 PM
This movie (and the first one) is the style of movie I would never watch.

But I'm glad (some of) you enjoyed it. :)

jman3000
07-13-2006, 11:25 PM
This movie (and the first one) is the style of movie I would never watch.

But I'm glad (some of) you enjoyed it. :)

Rasho sucks

angel_luv
07-13-2006, 11:30 PM
Rasho rocks!

jman3000
07-13-2006, 11:31 PM
If rasho rocks = rasho sucks, then yes, rasho does indeed rock.

angel_luv
07-13-2006, 11:34 PM
If rasho rocks = jman rocks, then yes, rasho does indeed rock.

Can't argue with that, can ya?

jman3000
07-13-2006, 11:35 PM
:lol
youre good :fro

angel_luv
07-15-2006, 06:58 PM
Pirates 1 about to come on the Usa Channel... 31 here. :)

spurs=bling
07-15-2006, 07:01 PM
i went to Eagle Pass today and saw it again. the theater in the mall is awesome.

Silver21_Black20
07-15-2006, 07:02 PM
Pirates 1 about to come on the Usa Channel... 31 here. :)

Oooo...I'll watch.

Thanks V!

angel_luv
07-15-2006, 07:21 PM
YW

I am watching it too. I like it. :)

Silver21_Black20
07-15-2006, 07:22 PM
I like the first scene with Captain Jack Sparrow. When he is standing at the top of the "ship" but it is really a little boat. Hahahaha

spurs=bling
07-15-2006, 07:23 PM
I like the first scene with Captain Jack Sparrow. When he is standing at the top of the "ship" but it is really a little boat. Hahahaha

from the second one i like the "where is the thump thump?" part

angel_luv
07-15-2006, 07:46 PM
Commodor: " You're without a doubt the worst pirate I have ever heard of"
Jack Sparrow: "But you have heard of me."

And

" You cheated" Will when Jack pulls out a gun during their sword fight.

The code is more what you would call guidelines than actual rules.

I love how Jack is so determined to maintain possesion of his "effects"

J.T.
07-15-2006, 10:36 PM
from the second one i like the "where is the thump thump?" part

Yeah right after he is chanting "I've got a jar of dirt, I've got a jar of dirt!"

And when he also says "I love those moments, I like to wave at them as they pass by."

Jack is :lol

Silver21_Black20
07-15-2006, 10:44 PM
I love how Jack is so determined to maintain possesion of his "effects"

I love how Jack is so hot!! :spin

spurs=bling
07-15-2006, 10:53 PM
Yeah right after he is chanting "I've got a jar of dirt, I've got a jar of dirt!"

And when he also says "I love those moments, I like to wave at them as they pass by."

Jack is :lol

the " i've got a jar of dirt" part is funny.

Burn531
07-16-2006, 03:03 AM
I went and saw it on Friday night. Very disappointing. I didn't like it enough to recommend it. Just a few of my gripes with it:

-The length of the film. 2hrs. and 30 min. There was no need for that native part with Jack about to be eaten. They could of just cut that out maybe added something to shorten it up. After that you got like a 2hr. and 10-15 min. movie. There were other parts that weren't needed either.

-The over use of the action scenes. I thought they would never end! Don't get me wrong I love action/adventure movies but this was a little much.

-It wasn't very funny compared to the 1st film. Jack wasn't funny (falling down a step while talking is not funny anymore) and he had no good funny parts like in the 1st one.

-The dialogue between the Pirates, the black lady in the hut, and Davey Jones. I couldn't understand what they were saying. I was completely lost when they were talking and then set off to sail where ever they went. The final scene of the film when "that guy" shows up I forget what was said and why he's gonna help them and how. I couldn't understand any of it! If anyone could PM me the jist of it that would be great. We wouldn't want to spoil it for anybody who hasn't seen it yet.

Just 1 more thing:

- Keira Knightley(Elizabeth Swann) in the scene where Jack, Will, and her old finance were sword fighting in the sand on that island. :drunk :drunk :pctoss :bang

Just my 2 cents on this film. :spin

alamo50
07-16-2006, 03:50 AM
Damn, now I realy thought the sequel might be better than the original one and they fooled me yet again!

A too high Disney character this one had for me.

Still llooking forward to next summer though.

P.S.
This review has been brough to you by the original Flying Dutchman.
Harr, harrrrr!

missmyzte
07-18-2006, 12:27 AM
I just got home from seeing it and I was amused but a little disappointed. The parts mentioned ('Where is my thump thump?' etc.) are funny but yes, it did seem to drag on forever. I think they had too many storylines going on at one time, you have too many people with their own story lines and objectives - Will, Elizabeth, Elizabeth's father, the Commador, the idiot guy that takes over everything, Jack Sparrow, the Cragen (or whatever that beast was) and Davey Jones. Way too much! Twists and turns are one thing, but 50 storylines is too much.

All in all, I'm glad I saw it but probably won't buy it.

And, for the record, Johnny Depp is absolutely gorgeous - always.

spurs=bling
07-18-2006, 12:44 AM
I just got home from seeing it and I was amused but a little disappointed. The parts mentioned ('Where is my thump thump?' etc.) are funny but yes, it did seem to drag on forever. I think they had too many storylines going on at one time, you have too many people with their own story lines and objectives - Will, Elizabeth, Elizabeth's father, the Commador, the idiot guy that takes over everything, Jack Sparrow, the Cragen (or whatever that beast was) and Davey Jones. Way too much! Twists and turns are one thing, but 50 storylines is too much.

funny. the story lines didn't bother me at all. i can't wait for may 2007 PC3 :elephant

Cant_Be_Faded
07-18-2006, 12:49 AM
wtf

blingy goes to eagle pass more than mookie

it's kraken

angel_luv
07-18-2006, 12:50 AM
I may have been just really in the mood for the movie when I saw it because I was captivated by the whole thing.

I saw it twice in one week and it kept my attention throughout both times.

spurs=bling
07-18-2006, 12:50 AM
wtf

blingy goes to eagle pass more than mookie

not really.

jman3000
07-18-2006, 12:52 AM
pirates

spurs=bling
07-18-2006, 12:52 AM
'Pirates' Loots Box Office, Grosses $258M
Sunday July 16 5:42 PM ET

"Pirates of the Caribbean" is looking more like "Treasure Island." Already a record-shattering blockbuster, Johnny Depp's sequel "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" dug up $62.2 million in its second weekend, raising its 10-day total to $258.2 million, according to studio estimates Sunday.

The movie has quickly become the year's top-grossing film, rocketing past "X-Men: The Last Stand," which has taken in $232 million in eight weeks. The "Pirates" sequel has grossed an additional $125 million overseas.

"It's really fun when you're riding a comet like this," said Chuck Viane, head of distribution for Disney, which based the "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies on its theme park attraction. "This thing is just unbelievable. It creates its own wake."

ADVERTISEMENT

Sony's "Little Man," the Wayans brothers' slapstick farce about a pint-size thief masquerading as a baby, opened as the No. 2 movie with $21.7 million. The tale stars Shawn and Marlon Wayans, who co-wrote it with brother Keenen Ivory Wayans, the director.

Universal's comedy "You, Me and Dupree," starring Owen Wilson as a houseguest causing chaos for a buddy and his new bride (Matt Dillon and Kate Hudson), debuted at No. 3 with $21.3 million.

Hollywood's business dipped for the first time in two months. After eight straight weekends of rising revenues, overall receipts totaled $156 million, down 5 percent from the same weekend last year, when Depp also was at the top of the box office with "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory."

Still, the second weekend gross for "Dead Man's Chest" topped the debut of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," which opened with $56.2 million. "Dead Man's Chest" had the third-best second weekend ever, behind "Shrek 2" ($72.2 million) and "Spider-Man" ($71.4 million).

By next weekend, "Dead Man's Chest" should climb past the $305 million domestic total rung up by its predecessor, 2003's "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl," Disney's Viane said.

"Dead Man's Chest" debuted with $135.6 million over the opening weekend, beating the previous record of $114.8 million set by "Spider-Man" in 2002.

Ending with a cliffhanger, "Dead Man's Chest" will be closely followed by a third "Pirates" movie due out next May, with Orlando Bloom, Keira Knightley and other co-stars on a voyage to rescue Depp's rakish pirate Capt. Jack Sparrow.

"Huge expectations. 'Pirates 2' is maybe the toughest act in box-office history to follow," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Exhibitor Relations. "'Pirates 3' is the definition of a predestined blockbuster."
After a strong start in narrow release the previous weekend, Warner Independent's sci-fi drug-addiction tale "A Scanner Darkly" expanded to more theaters and broke into the top 10 with $1.2 million. The movie, featuring Keanu Reeves, Winona Ryder and Robert Downey Jr., was shot in live action then painted over with digital animation.

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Exhibitor Relations Co. Inc. Final figures will be released Monday.

1. "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest," $62.2 million.

2. "Little Man," $21.7 million.

3. "You, Me and Dupree," $21.3 million.

4. "Superman Returns," $11.6 million.

5. "The Devil Wears Prada," $10.45 million.

6. "Cars," $7.5 million.

7. "Click," $7 million.

8. "The Lake House," $1.6 million.

9. "Nacho Libre," $1.5 million.

10. "A Scanner Darkly," $1.2 million.

angel_luv
07-18-2006, 12:59 AM
3. "You, Me and Dupree," $21.3 million.

4. "Superman Returns," $11.6 million.

That surprises me. I would have expected Superman to at least beat out Dupree.

jman3000
07-18-2006, 01:13 AM
super man has been out a while.. dupree is new.. just the surge of people buying tickets isa ll