PDA

View Full Version : Car Question

1Parker1
07-07-2006, 09:16 AM
So, is it considered bad when your car starts shuddering and your check engine light comes on?? What exactly does that mean?

I already checked my oil and I have enough...:depressed

ObiwanGinobili
07-07-2006, 09:18 AM
if the light came on by itself.... no big deal.
sometimes they just do that for no dumb reason, or because it is time for your schedualed maintenance.. or because you had the schedualed maintrenace but the shop did not have the computer thingy (yes I said thingy) to communicate wioth your car that it had been done.

but if your engine is shuddering AND the light is on.

yes honey that is a bad thing. And no, it;s not the oil.

1Parker1
07-07-2006, 09:22 AM
Well, I am due for an inspection, but I don't think it's that. I read the manual (yes, I'm a girl and so I had to) and it said sometimes your check engine light can come on if your gas tank thingy isn't tightened enough...so I tightened it. But it definitely isn't that...

FUCK FUCK and FUCK!!! I so do not need this crap right now. Now I don't know if I can or should drive it to the mechanics are not. :pctoss

ObiwanGinobili
07-07-2006, 09:28 AM
you should be able to drive it to the shop.
is it burning black smoke, giving off funny sounds? if not it;s most likely safe to drive to the shop.

shuddering can be alot of different things, so I'm not going to attempt to internet diagnois your car problems. Just take it to the shop.

leemajors
07-07-2006, 09:32 AM
it can be a couple things, but usually fuel system related. you could need a new fuel filter because your current one is clogged (cheap), it could be your fuel pump (more expensive) or it could be that your injectors are clogged (cheap to very expensive depending on how clogged they are). you could go to jiffy lube, midas or some other shop and get their fuel injector cleaner service, which runs for about $70 here. or you could just dump some fuel injector cleaner bottle for a few bucks in there and that may get you by. things like that can be avoided for the most part by making sure you don't let your gas tank run down to empty all the time, sometimes the fuel pump can get messed up by doing that - impurities that settle in the tank can be taken up into the fuel system and wreak havok. for reference, my gf's dad has helped me replace my fuel filter a few times - the part costs less than $20 but they can charge you $30 and up for it at the shop - a fuel pump is more expensive, and can cost up to $400 to be installed because they have to drop the gas tank to get to it. i got new injectors once and it was over twice that - but fuel injectors don't need to be replaced too often. my fiancee's dad kicks ass, he has saved me thousands in repair charges.

1Parker1
07-07-2006, 09:32 AM
It's kind of making a sound..but luckily there's no smoke or anything (knocks wood), it shudders especially when I break and then hit the accelerator like at a red light or something. And the shop is like 15 minutes away :depressed

1Parker1
07-07-2006, 09:34 AM
it can be a couple things, but usually fuel system related. you could need a new fuel filter because your current one is clogged (cheap), it could be your fuel pump (more expensive) or it could be that your injectors are clogged (cheap to very expensive depending on how clogged they are). you could go to jiffy lube, midas or some other shop and get their fuel injector cleaner service, which runs for about $70 here. or you could just dump some fuel injector cleaner bottle for a few bucks in there and that may get you by. things like that can be avoided for the most part by making sure you don't let your gas tank run down to empty all the time, sometimes the fuel pump can get messed up by doing that - impurities that settle in the tank can be taken up into the fuel system and wreak havok.

No, I usually fill up the tank when it reaches half empty! :lol
Hopefully it's that first option u siad. But do you think it'll make it to the shop??

SpursWoman
07-07-2006, 09:35 AM
My last car had both a Service Vehicle Soon and a Check Engine light ... so I'm assuming they aren't the same thing. My Service Vehicle Soon light came on about a week before my headlight went out, and when I replaced it it went off.

If it's your Engine light and it's doing the shaking thing, I'd definitely get it checked out. A lot of times if you go to a little oil change place they'll plug in the diagnostic thing to find out what error codes are triggering it. They don't charge a lot, if anything, to do that for you if you use all of that feminine charm. http://www.boomspeed.com/sweetc/yflirt.gif

1Parker1
07-07-2006, 09:38 AM
My last car had both a Service Vehicle Soon and a Check Engine light ... so I'm assuming they aren't the same thing. My Service Vehicle Soon light came on about a week before my headlight went out, and when I replaced it it went off.

If it's your Engine light and it's doing the shaking thing, I'd definitely get it checked out. A lot of times if you go to a little oil change place they'll plug in the diagnostic thing to find out what error codes are triggering it. They don't charge a lot, if anything, to do that for you if you use all of that feminine charm. http://www.boomspeed.com/sweetc/yflirt.gif

:lol I already use that feminine charm on my mechanic who I've been going to for a year. He's actually so great about it...he usually comes to my house and PICKS UP the car to take to the garage. Unfortunately, I'll be at work today so he won't be able to pick it up. He said to drive it down and that if it breaks downs to call him and he'll come and get me and the car.

I just hope it's nothing too expensive. I just spent like $280 on it a few months ago for crap :pctoss

ShoogarBear
07-07-2006, 09:50 AM
:lmao @ a car conversation with three women.

It's like three guys discussing today's broadcast of The View.

"Sometimes the light just goes on" . . . ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ShoogarBear
07-07-2006, 09:53 AM
Oh, and your mechanic is trying to negotiate alternative forms of payment, in case you haven't figured that out.

SpursWoman
07-07-2006, 09:54 AM
I'm not completely ignorant about cars ... I've replaced 2 window regulators, headlights, oil, tires ... and a few other things on my own. Which is actually more than a lot of men I know have ever done.

leemajors
07-07-2006, 09:56 AM
No, I usually fill up the tank when it reaches half empty! :lol
Hopefully it's that first option u siad. But do you think it'll make it to the shop??

i edited my post with how much i have paid for those services. i have had pretty much the exact same problems you have had before, it may help you know what to expect. :spin

SpursWoman
07-07-2006, 09:57 AM
Oh, and your mechanic is trying to negotiate alternative forms of payment, in case you haven't figured that out.

If it meant not having to pay $3,000 for a new engine I'm sure even you'd consider it. :spin

ShoogarBear
07-07-2006, 10:07 AM
I'm not completely ignorant about cars ... I've replaced 2 window regulators, headlights, oil, tires ... and a few other things on my own. Which is actually more than a lot of men I know have ever done.

:tu

I wasn't trying to imply ignorance. Just the words being used were different that what dudes would say.

If it meant not having to pay $3,000 for a new engine I'm sure even you'd consider it. :spin

Either way I'd be getting screwed.

tlongII
07-07-2006, 10:11 AM
Take your car to the shop 1P1! Either that or ask SW to fix it.

1Parker1
07-07-2006, 10:11 AM

:lol :flipoff

CosmicCowboy
07-07-2006, 10:12 AM
Assuming your car is late model with electronic ignition my internet guess would be that you have a bad coil pack and are not firing on all cylinders causing the shudder/miss. A good mechanic will track down the one that is bad and relace it. A bad mechanic will try to talk you into replacing all of them.

1Parker1
07-07-2006, 10:13 AM

:oops He is kinda hot. :lol

1Parker1
07-07-2006, 10:14 AM
i edited my post with how much i have paid for those services. i have had pretty much the exact same problems you have had before, it may help you know what to expect. :spin

Thanks Leemajors. Actually, this guy at work just told me the exact same thing you said....I'll let you know if you were right. I'm heading down during my lunch hour.

Sportcamper
07-07-2006, 10:29 AM
SW- knows how to replace window regulators...Does anyone know what a pain in the neck that is....I can never even figure out how to get the door knobs off the remove the door panels.... :lol

1Parker1
07-07-2006, 10:32 AM
I don't even know what the hell a window regulator is...I'm your typical clueless girl when it comes to cars. I know I should learn more about it for my own sake, but I just can't bring myself to be interested...I'm more interested in keeping my car nice and clean :oops :lol

ObiwanGinobili
07-07-2006, 10:43 AM
:lol the window regulator is the magic box that makes your window go up and down when you push the button.

I've replced several starters, spark plugs, a flywheel, tires, oil and oil filters, brakes, and a belt.

but your right Shoog - i don't speak the car language like a dude. :lol

SpursWoman
07-07-2006, 10:52 AM
I don't even know what the hell a window regulator is...I'm your typical clueless girl when it comes to cars. I know I should learn more about it for my own sake, but I just can't bring myself to be interested...I'm more interested in keeping my car nice and clean :oops :lol

I actually found on the internet in some obscure auto-help website where someone actually took the time to completely detail -- WITH PICTURES -- how to replace the regulator for my exact car...making it pretty much a piece of cake.

The mechanic wanted almost $400 per window to fix them ($800!) ... I got both parts on ebay (after-market) for <$150 and installed them myself, thanks to someone's help on that forum.

So the $600+ I saved could buy a complete Dooney & Bourke set. :tu :smokin

That was pretty interesting. :lol

Sportcamper
07-07-2006, 10:54 AM
A flywheel ? :wow
Dang Girl! How Much Can You Bench Press?

pache100
07-07-2006, 11:01 AM

:madrun :wtf :nope

I just hate generalizations about women.

Me, too. My boss asked me awhile back what I would do if I had a flat tire out in the country...I looked at him incredulously and said, "Get out and change the damned thing. What would YOU do?" He'd known me for 12 years, I couldn't believe he'd ask me such a stupid question. My Mom marvels every time my sister and/or I get out our toolboxes to fix something on one of our vehicles or drag out our jumper cables and start somebody's car for them; she always says she knows a lot of men (like my brother) who would not know how to do some of the things we do. My Dad made sure we knew how to do all that stuff...and he bought us tools and toolboxes as gifts, too, so we are pretty well prepared. We hitch up the trailer to my truck and haul stuff around for people (men) all the time, too. Mom just shakes her head.

The only reason I don't change my own oil is the disposal issue. It's worth what an oil change costs to me to know that the oil drained out of my truck is not screwing up the environment.

ObiwanGinobili
07-07-2006, 11:03 AM
A flywheel ? :wow
Dang Girl! How Much Can You Bench Press?

:lol

well I had the help of one of those swingset looking things with the pulley and the chain, and a hydralic lift.
oh and Emo would come by after work to hand me tools and do the heavy parts.
even with a manual, diagrams and a mechanic on the phone it took 5 days.
I was mostly handheld thru it.

I felt honorbound to do it myself sicne i had cracked the darn thing when I hit a telephone pole.

ETA: at the time I was benching 15lbs over my bodyweight... :fro :lol

CosmicCowboy
07-07-2006, 11:04 AM
I had one of the old (big style) Jeep Grand Wagoneers that had this funky window regulator setup with plastic gears that were always stripping...I was tearing the doors apart on a regulator basis replacing the damn plastic track/gear...that was a great car to drive, heavy as a tank, but a total piece of shit mechanically...I was always working on it...I had a drunk rear end me one time in a Lincoln Mark 4 and total his car and it just bent my rear bumper a little...

ShoogarBear
07-07-2006, 11:09 AM
SW should change her title to "Window Regulator Regulator"

ObiwanGinobili
07-07-2006, 11:10 AM

:tu

SpursWoman
07-07-2006, 11:11 AM

I hate paying for shit like that ... I try to do whatever I can possibly do on my own without having to.

I probably wouldn't fuck with the brakes or anything like that, though. :wow

ShoogarBear
07-07-2006, 11:14 AM
I just hate generalizations about women.

Yeah, women are like that.

I think I sufficiently backtracked on that one, though.

Twenty years ago i tried to do as much as I could myself: oil changes, brake changes, etc. I just sort of lost interest and time along the way. Plus, living in the northeast, I just don't put as many miles on the car as I used to anyway.

travis2
07-07-2006, 11:15 AM

I hate paying for shit like that ... I try to do whatever I can possibly do on my own without having to.

I probably wouldn't fuck with the brakes or anything like that, though. :wow

Disc brakes aren't bad...but I have yet to summon the courage to change the pads on a drum brake set...

pache100
07-07-2006, 11:19 AM

:lmao

tlongII
07-07-2006, 11:20 AM
I am pretty much clueless when it comes to working on cars. I try to keep this a secret as it makes me unattractive to women though.

SpursWoman
07-07-2006, 11:21 AM

And I was very proud of myself for fixing it on my own, BTW. :lol

leemajors
07-07-2006, 11:21 AM
Disc brakes aren't bad...but I have yet to summon the courage to change the pads on a drum brake set...

it's not hard at all, and only takes a few hours. the worst park is packing the bearings in grease, it is pretty messy. i changed my drums and pads a couple months ago, drums and pads cost less than $200 and i had them switched out in 2 hours. got the high quality wagner drums and pads too.

travis2
07-07-2006, 11:22 AM
With all the springs and clips and crap, I'm just afraid I'll end up with "extra parts"...:lol

SpursWoman
07-07-2006, 11:25 AM
With all the springs and clips and crap, I'm just afraid I'll end up with "extra parts"...:lol

I'm just afraid I wouldn't be able to stop. :lol

Taco
07-07-2006, 11:26 AM

AutoZone will do it for free

ShoogarBear
07-07-2006, 11:27 AM
And I was very proud of myself for fixing it on my own, BTW. :lol

Do you do stick shifts?

Taco
07-07-2006, 11:28 AM
AutoZone will do it for free

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?UseCase=S001&UserAction=viewSimpleDiagInfo&Parameters=info

katyon6th
07-07-2006, 11:29 AM
I can't even change a flat tire. You ladies kick my ass!

ShoogarBear
07-07-2006, 11:29 AM

Does anybody else besides me have this as a recurrent dream? I always end up having to do the Fred Flintstone to get it to stop.

pache100
07-07-2006, 11:30 AM
Do you do stick shifts?

:eyebrows

I helped my Dad put a clutch in a Datsun once...does that count? :lol

ShoogarBear
07-07-2006, 11:32 AM
Ewwwww, with your Dad? :lol

pache100
07-07-2006, 11:33 AM
Ewwwww, with your Dad? :lol

Just kidding. But I did help with the clutch. And for the record, I have been driving for 40 years and the vehicle I drive right now is the first ever to have an automatic transmission...not a stick shift... :angel

travis2
07-07-2006, 11:33 AM

Well, assuming you don't need to pull the bearings (not all cars require you to), disc brakes are really easy.

About the only thing that could go wrong (assuming you don't round off a bolt head or something) is putting the pads in backwards (some models have free-standing pads...no clips...)

Oh...and no you may NOT ask...:flipoff

SpursWoman
07-07-2006, 12:03 PM
Do you do stick shifts?

You mean do I know how to drive one? Yes, I do. :lol

pache100
07-07-2006, 12:09 PM

Taco
07-07-2006, 12:13 PM

OOOHHHH watch out for the Double Clutching :lol

ObiwanGinobili
07-07-2006, 12:18 PM
yeah I prefer a stick shift :eyebrows

mostly because they are easier and cheaper to fix if they break down.
No way would I ever mess with an automatic trani.... not ot mention have you ever found a transmission shop that can fix it right the 1st time???

I have a stick now and I really don;t plan on buying anythign else unless I have to.... liek if I ever get a mini-van - i don;t thin kthey come in 5 spd.

ObiwanGinobili
07-07-2006, 12:20 PM
it's not hard at all, and only takes a few hours. the worst park is packing the bearings in grease, it is pretty messy. i changed my drums and pads a couple months ago, drums and pads cost less than $200 and i had them switched out in 2 hours. got the high quality wagner drums and pads too.

so about as time consuming and messy as re-building a carbuerator?

1Parker1
07-07-2006, 01:14 PM
:lol the window regulator is the magic box that makes your window go up and down when you push the button.

I've replced several starters, spark plugs, a flywheel, tires, oil and oil filters, brakes, and a belt.

but your right Shoog - i don't speak the car language like a dude. :lol

Oh shit! That's a window regulator?! I need one then too....my back window doesn't open, but I figured it wasn't worth spending the money to fix it.

SW, You'll have to teach me how to do it on my own :smokin

1Parker1
07-07-2006, 01:17 PM
I am pretty much clueless when it comes to working on cars. I try to keep this a secret as it makes me unattractive to women though.

That's a smart thing, Tlong. I personally LOVE guys who are "good with their hands" and know how to fix cars and build crap. :lol

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-07-2006, 01:19 PM
That's a smart thing, Tlong. I personally LOVE guys who are "good with their hands" and know how to fix cars and build crap. :lol

1Parker1, have I ever told you that I'm a master craftsman???

1Parker1
07-07-2006, 01:20 PM
Oh and by the way....I took it to my mechanic.......and guess what he said the problem was??

I need a freakin tune-up! That's all....apparantly I haven't gotten one in a while and it messed up one of the receivers to my engine or something, he said I can still drive it around just make sure I put it on neutral when I'm stopped for really long red light or whatever.

ANyways, the grand total, including getting my brakes done will come to about $275 :pctoss

1Parker1
07-07-2006, 01:21 PM

In that case, How YOU doin'? :makeout

SpursWoman
07-07-2006, 01:31 PM
I need a freakin tune-up!

I was going to ask what your mileage was ... and suggest that. :lol

SpursWoman
07-07-2006, 01:32 PM
my back window doesn't open, but I figured it wasn't worth spending the money to fix it.

I thought the same thing ... until it started falling down and wouldn't stay up. :lol

1Parker1
07-07-2006, 01:42 PM
I was going to ask what your mileage was ... and suggest that. :lol

Too late! I couldn't believe that's all it was...

1Parker1
07-07-2006, 01:43 PM
I thought the same thing ... until it started falling down and wouldn't stay up. :lol

:lmao Mines hasn't done that yet...but when it does I'll send you a PM and can email me the website where you learned how to become a window regulator from :eyebrows

ShoogarBear
07-07-2006, 02:21 PM

I believe the crafty part.

ShoogarBear
07-07-2006, 02:25 PM
I need a freakin tune-up!

A good package offering also includes check of lubricant levels with a dipstick.

ShoogarBear
07-07-2006, 02:27 PM

That's know as the "LifeCall" window.

RickyBobby
07-07-2006, 02:32 PM
Thank God for my pit crew!!!

CosmicCowboy
07-07-2006, 02:48 PM
Oh and by the way....I took it to my mechanic.......and guess what he said the problem was??

I need a freakin tune-up! That's all....apparantly I haven't gotten one in a while and it messed up one of the receivers to my engine or something, he said I can still drive it around just make sure I put it on neutral when I'm stopped for really long red light or whatever.

ANyways, the grand total, including getting my brakes done will come to about $275 :pctoss

Damn I'm good.

Assuming your car is late model with electronic ignition my internet guess would be that you have a bad coil pack and are not firing on all cylinders causing the shudder/miss. A good mechanic will track down the one that is bad and relace it. A bad mechanic will try to talk you into replacing all of them.

tlongII
07-07-2006, 02:55 PM

I'm good with my hands, just not on cars. :smokin

1Parker1
07-07-2006, 03:04 PM
Damn I'm good.

:tu Yea, you did call it...and he did say that normally he'd just find the one that needs a replacement, but since I haven't had a tuneup in a while...they're all probably need to be checked and replaced since my car is kinda old.

Smart man CC, I'll come to u first with my car troubles from now on :)

cherylsteele
07-07-2006, 03:26 PM
So, is it considered bad when your car starts shuddering and your check engine light comes on?? What exactly does that mean?

I already checked my oil and I have enough...:depressed
I had a similar problem awhile backe...it turned out to be bad spark plug wires. New plugs and tune stopped it.

You could also take it to Autozone and they can hook up their diagnostic thingy for free and tell why thr engine light came on. that is what I did and it told me cylinder 4 wasn't firing. I took it to my mechanic and he fixed it for $60-70 or or so.

cherylsteele
07-07-2006, 03:27 PM

I just saw this after my previous post.....oh well.

1Parker1
07-07-2006, 03:55 PM
I had a similar problem awhile backe...it turned out to be bad spark plug wires. New plugs and tune stopped it.

You could also take it to Autozone and they can hook up their diagnostic thingy for free and tell why thr engine light came on. that is what I did and it told me cylinder 4 wasn't firing. I took it to my mechanic and he fixed it for $60-70 or or so.

:lol Well at least u were right. My mechanic is a friend of my Boyfriend's so he's pretty cool. He didn't charge me for the computer hook-up thingy either...

SpursWoman
07-07-2006, 03:57 PM
My mechanic is a friend of my Boyfriend's so he's pretty cool.

I wouldn't recommend flirting in this case. :lol

1Parker1
07-07-2006, 04:01 PM
I wouldn't recommend flirting in this case. :lol

:lol It's not flirting so much as using the "helpless girl" routine....

Besides, he was my mechanic BEFORE I met my boyfriend...:lol