PDA

View Full Version : Thomas feels the team is good enough as constituted to make the playoffs.

ducks
07-07-2006, 09:39 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks...rc_be rman.htm

July 7, 2006 -- LAS VEGAS - Isiah Thomas is expending more energy on the basketball court coaching the Knicks than on the phone lines during July's free-agency period.

In a giant departure, Thomas is being passive with free agents while teams including Chicago and Toronto make bold moves. The whole thing reeks of James Dolan finally putting a cap on Thomas' NBA-high payroll.

Thomas feels the team is good enough as constituted to make the playoffs. Kenyon Martin is still being shopped as fervently as ever by the Nuggets, but the Knicks are more lukewarm than ever because of his massive contract. Thomas isn't sure he'll use his $5 million mid-level exception, a telltale sign Dolan isn't keen on adding to the payroll.

"We have our eyes on a couple of situations," Thomas said. "We're not chasing anything. I'm pretty comfortable with what we have. It's definitely going to be tough. Everyone's getting better. We have to develop and get better from within."

Thomas has to decide whether to re-sign his two free agents, Jackie Butler and Qyntel Woods. Thomas can choose only one because both signings would put the team at 16 guaranteed contracts, one over the league maximum. Re-signing Butler is the priority, as Jerome James insurance.

strangeweather
07-07-2006, 10:39 AM
After all, when you upgrade your coaching from Larry Brown to Isiah Thomas, you're a lock for the playoffs really. :lol

BTW, why do they need "Jerome James insurance" anyway? Isn't he their third center after Curry and Frye? Is one of them playing PF now?

nkdlunch
07-07-2006, 11:03 AM
It's obvious Knicks want a big part of next years BIG draft. So they are not making many changes for this season which should put them in good lottery contention.

stewart
07-07-2006, 11:10 AM
poor isaiah too close from the big apple to see the worm inside

Obstructed_View
07-07-2006, 11:13 AM
Doesn't Chicago have New York's unprotected first pick next year? They've got to be loving this.

NBA Junkie
07-07-2006, 11:19 AM
It's obvious Knicks want a big part of next years BIG draft. So they are not making many changes for this season which should put them in good lottery contention.

But, why would Isiah want to tank next season when he was basically given an ultimatum by James Dolan to turn the team around or else...?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Chicago own the rights to New York's #1 pick in 2007?

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-07-2006, 11:20 AM
Boy, they're screwed. Isiah is TOTALLY fired.

Obstructed_View
07-07-2006, 11:22 AM
Maybe it's a ploy to get Lebron in New York. Perhaps Nike has already called Zeke and told him what to do.

Axl Van Dam
07-07-2006, 08:00 PM
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol YEAH RIGHT!!!!! :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

baseline bum
07-07-2006, 08:28 PM
I can see them winning 15 next year. That roster is one of the worst trainwrecks I've ever seen. Three of their four points are me-first chuckers, the 4th is a midget, all their PFs except Frye are way past their primes, their centers under contract are lazy bums with huge contracts, their draft was pathetic, and almost all of their contracts are untradeable. They have nowhere to go but down.

Quadzilla99
07-07-2006, 08:48 PM
I'm so glad for League Pass I am really going to enjoy watching that trainwreck next year.

TDMVPDPOY
07-07-2006, 09:31 PM
playoffs for lottery

jman3000
07-07-2006, 10:17 PM
They basically have their backs against the walls big time... they have so much to lose and not a whole lot to gain. If they are horrible this year they have the possiblity of losing their draft pick (which would obviously be quite high) for next year + Isiah will be fired. They will be even worse than they are now and it would take a few years to recover.

Horrible time to be a Knicks fan.

exstatic
07-07-2006, 11:31 PM
New York can't get out of this trainwreck for at least 5 years. I believe that Chicago has the option to switch picks next summer, which puts things right where they were this summer: Chicago drafting early, and the NYK drafting late in the first round.

Isaiah should just never work in this league again. Never. As great a HOF player as he was, he's that BAD of an executive. Everything he touches, business-wise, turns to SHIT. If I were an owner, and anyone in the front office even suggested that he be hired, that person would be fired on the spot.