PDA

View Full Version : Hollinger Chat - Spurs To Stay Under Luxury Tax?

Slinkyman
07-07-2006, 11:31 AM
Jim (SA) : John, Why don't the Spurs go after Butler and Ariza? Don't those two fit the needs the Spurs have? What about Harrington to the Spurs?

SportsNation John Hollinger: (12:29 PM ET ) Not sure if you're talking about Jackie or Rasual Butler, but either way they're out of SA's price range. One thing to remember is San Anto is very close to the luxury tax line right now -- we won't know how close til we see the new tax level on the 12th and learn how much Javtokas is costing them, but I'm guessing it's close enough that they can only do minimum deals from here on out.

spursmode
07-07-2006, 11:35 AM
That Sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slinkyman
07-07-2006, 11:36 AM
Dan (Israel): How about a question from Israel - there are 5 Maccabi Tel-Aviv players associated with NBA rumors: Anthony Parker, Nikola Vujcic, Maceo Baston, Will Solomon, and Yotam Halperin (drafted this year) - does any of them have a legitimate chance of playing in the NBA next year? Thanks.

SportsNation John Hollinger: (12:34 PM ET ) Four of the five could be quality pros. Parker is supposedly talking with Toronto and could have a deal soon. Vujcic has long been one of the best players in Europe, but he's so soft that pro teams have shied away. As for Baston, I've always felt he belongedi n the NBA -- his #s in Europe have been huge and he played very well in limited trials here before he crossed the pond, but I haven't heard any noise about his coming here. Halperin will be a pro player, probably a reserve, but I don't think he's coming over right away. As for Solomon, y'all can keep him.

Kori Ellis
07-07-2006, 11:36 AM
I just posted it in the Jackie Butler thread.

I'm not sure how much Hollinger knows about the Spurs situation, but he's right that they are probably very close to the luxury tax threshhold.

Mr. Body
07-07-2006, 11:41 AM
I can't see the Spurs not going over the luxury cap some this year. The evidence is already there that they expected it. Did they offer Przybilla a $5M/yr contract as a joke?

tempest186
07-07-2006, 11:45 AM
Correct but in all likelihood they would be willing to go over for certain players if they think they are worth it. Depending on how close they are to the threshold thi smay also have factored into the Scola situation.

violentkitten
07-07-2006, 11:46 AM
fucking unreal. pay the fucking luxury tax and stop wasting years of tim duncan's career.

JGrice02
07-07-2006, 11:46 AM
He makes it sound like the Spurs refuse to approach the luxury tax and use their MLE. If that is the case then we really are done in FA but I don't see how that can be true. They were willing to offer Pryz the full MLE. I guess they are only willing to pay the tax if the player they sign is worth being taxed.

The luxury tax threshold could be as high as $63 million so if the Spurs sign Javtokas to a contract starting around $1.7 million (LLE) they will only have another $1.3 million to spend on FAs. That is only if the tax threshold is on the high end. And if that money goes to a spare center making the vet minimum then we will have filled out the roster wihtout using any of the MLE. I hope that is NOT what the Spurs are planning to do. They have bigger needs to fill than the vet min can acquire for us.

Again, you have to believe they were willing to pay the luxury tax given that they tried to sign Pryz. But are there any FAs on the market worth paying a tax for outside of Pryz? Unless they get someone like Jeffries to sign a contract for the MLE that Washington doesn't match, I'm thinking the Spurs are pretty much done signing valuable FAs after Javtokas.

Kori Ellis
07-07-2006, 11:47 AM
This is just Hollinger's opinion.

Like people said already in this thread, they offered Przybilla the MLE and that would have put them over the luxury tax threshhold. So obviously they are willing to do it for a particular player.

T Park
07-07-2006, 12:21 PM
pay the fucking luxury tax

Of course, cause Holt is Cuban.

Very easy to say from your easy chair scarfng doritos.

mabber
07-07-2006, 12:55 PM

Very easy to spend someone elses money. What is Holt worth? It's much easier for Cuban to pay some luxury tax cuz the dude is worth almost $2 billion. He could lose $100million and not realize it. I'm actually surprised that Cuban has decided to try to get at or under the cap. I guess he's so damned competitive that he wants to try to win on a somewhat level playing field.

Quadzilla99
07-07-2006, 02:33 PM
If that Vujcic really has a lot of skills but is too soft to play in the NBA somebody needs to slap that bitch and tell him to man up. He looks big enough physically in the pictures to be able to handle himself in the NBA. If that's true what a pussy. If Rasho can stick in the NBA and this guy's too soft then it must be scary how soft he is.

baseline bum
07-07-2006, 02:43 PM
Very easy to spend someone elses money. What is Holt worth? It's much easier for Cuban to pay some luxury tax cuz the dude is worth almost $2 billion. He could lose $100million and not realize it. I'm actually surprised that Cuban has decided to try to get at or under the cap. I guess he's so damned competitive that he wants to try to win on a somewhat level playing field.

:lmao

violentkitten
07-07-2006, 03:36 PM

theres no easy chair in the office, cornbread

Quadzilla99
07-07-2006, 03:49 PM
Btw I like Hollinger but I don't think his PER will catch on and he should stop pimping it so much.

SAGambler
07-07-2006, 03:56 PM
If that Vujcic really has a lot of skills but is too soft to play in the NBA somebody needs to slap that bitch and tell him to man up. He looks big enough physically in the pictures to be able to handle himself in the NBA. If that's true what a pussy. If Rasho can stick in the NBA and this guy's too soft then it must be scary how soft he is.

No shit! They don't make em much softer than Rasho, do they?

Nikos
07-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Btw I like Hollinger but I don't think his PER will catch on and he should stop pimping it so much.

It's a very nice stat. Much superior to NBA efficiency or just PPG or FG%.

timvp
07-07-2006, 06:37 PM
Hollinger usually knows what he is talking about. I'm really starting to believe that the Spurs just aren't going to go into the luxury tax area.

Let's do some math:

$63,000,000 = Estimated Luxury Tax Threshold
$59,965,471 = 2006-07 Spurs' Salaries
$1,740,000 = Robertas Javtokas' 2006-07 Estimated Salary
-----------
$1,250,000 = Available Room Under Luxury Tax Threshold

So the Spurs have just over $1M to spend on a starting center, a backup swingman and a third point guard.

Uh oh.

exstatic
07-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Hollinger usually knows what he is talking about. I'm really starting to believe that the Spurs just aren't going to go into the luxury tax area.

Let's do some math:

$63,000,000 = Estimated Luxury Tax Threshold
$59,965,471 = 2006-07 Spurs' Salaries
$1,740,000 = Robertas Javtokas' 2006-07 Estimated Salary
-----------
$1,250,000 = Available Room Under Luxury Tax Threshold

So the Spurs have just over $1M to spend on a starting center, a backup swingman and a third point guard.

Uh oh.

They do have the tradeable asset of William's $4.xM contract to obtain some of that. If they work the phones correctly, they can probably fill two of those positions for that salary slot. That will, however, mean that not fucking much will happen until 21 August, when he can be moved. The shower rods will certainly be creaking loudly by them...:rolleyes

Oh, and there's that $4.7M tied up in our 3rd string SG, unless they intend to use Barry as the backup PG, in which case they ony have 2 positions to fill.

dbestpro
07-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Free agent signings won't get it done. Barry and Williams at a combined 9.4 mil will in the early fall.

timvp
07-07-2006, 07:05 PM
What kind of players are you going to get back for Barry and Williams? Most likely they'd be bad contracts that the Spurs wouldn't want to take on.

Hopefully the Spurs can pull off some sort of trade miracle because free agency isn't the answer at this point with $1M available to spend.

Buddy Holly
07-07-2006, 07:12 PM
fucking unreal. pay the fucking luxury tax and stop wasting years of tim duncan's career.

When you run an NBA team, you can do whatever you want. Deal?

dbestpro
07-07-2006, 07:14 PM
There are as many options as there are threads. I think the likelyhood would be bringing back 2 players whose contracts might be slightly longer. Haywood, Hunter, Gooden and many others are all options.

Buddy Holly
07-07-2006, 07:15 PM
I just don't understand why DUNCAN CAN'T JUST PLAY CENTER!???

We act like that's not what he's been doing for the last couple of seasons.

He's a back to the basket player and his jumpshot is getting worse and worse each passing season.

ducks
07-07-2006, 07:16 PM
cuban cut mike
I guess he is cheap he did not want to pay the tax

ducks
07-07-2006, 07:17 PM

We act like that's not what he's been doing for the last couple of seasons.

He's a back to the basket player and his jumpshot is getting worse and worse each passing season.

when you run the team you can make him deal?

Buddy Holly
07-07-2006, 07:21 PM
when you run the team you can make him deal?

Am I demanding him play it or bashing him or the Spurs for not playing center? No.

I simply asked a question.

Don't you have some anti-Lebron James threads to start?

Buddy Holly
07-07-2006, 07:22 PM
BTW, your plot to brain wash the Queen of England into killing Lebron James during her visit to Cleveland and subsequent visit to a Cavs game doesn't sound like too good of an idea.

ducks
07-07-2006, 07:23 PM
I do not start those threads. I have more imporant stuff to do then bash james

did you see what mj was doing when he was 22?

Streakyshooter08
07-07-2006, 07:23 PM

Well, he could but who starts at the 4 then? Bonner, Horry, Oberto?... probably not... They still need one quality big man if they want to play for the championship. Somebody who rebounds and plays good defense...

ducks
07-07-2006, 07:24 PM
BTW, your plot to brain wash the Queen of England into killing Lebron James during her visit to Cleveland and subsequent visit to a Cavs game doesn't sound like too good of an idea.

why would nike sue me?

Buddy Holly
07-07-2006, 07:25 PM
did you see what mj was doing when he was 22?

Playing doctor with some of your relatives?

Buddy Holly
07-07-2006, 07:26 PM
why would nike sue me?

No, because its the plot to Naked Gun. The police would be all over it.

ducks
07-07-2006, 07:43 PM
Playing doctor with some of your relatives?

go to the nba forum and see they moved my thread to that about mj

Solid D
07-08-2006, 12:11 AM
Dan (Israel): How about a question from Israel - there are 5 Maccabi Tel-Aviv players associated with NBA rumors: Anthony Parker, Nikola Vujcic, Maceo Baston, Will Solomon, and Yotam Halperin (drafted this year) - does any of them have a legitimate chance of playing in the NBA next year? Thanks.

SportsNation John Hollinger: (12:34 PM ET ) Four of the five could be quality pros. Parker is supposedly talking with Toronto and could have a deal soon. Vujcic has long been one of the best players in Europe, but he's so soft that pro teams have shied away. As for Baston, I've always felt he belonged in the NBA -- his #s in Europe have been huge and he played very well in limited trials here before he crossed the pond, but I haven't heard any noise about his coming here.

this is how the roster stands so far as are team in the utah summer league.
donta smith 6-7 213 sf/sg
frans steyn 7-2 290 c
maceo baston 6-10 230 pf
kennedy winston 6-6 230 sg/sf
taquan dean 6-3 185 pg/sg
charles lee 6-3 210 sg/sf
c.j. watson 6-2 176 pg
thomas gardner 6-5 213 sg
melvin sanders 6-5 190 sg/sf
ian mahinmi 6-11 230 pf/c
viktor sanikidze 6-8 185 sf
sergi karalov 7-1 250 c
will conroy 6-2 195 pg

Solid D
07-08-2006, 12:25 AM
http://www.euroleague.net/fotos/jugadores/E05/BMP.jpg

People have posted info about Baston before, but he can get up off the floor, block shots, play D...went to H.S. in Dallas. He's really probably 6'9".

I've seen him play on NBAtv for Maccabi 2 or 3 times over the past couple of years. He also played for Toronto in '03. He might be an interesting option for the Spurs.

shaggy17
07-08-2006, 03:34 AM
:pctoss And so it begins the end of an era for the Spurs. Fuck you pieces of shit working in the front office you can burn in hell!!God fucking pissing Duncans prime away...unreal :rolleyes

whottt
07-08-2006, 03:39 AM
I give fuck all about the lux tax.

GoSpurs21
07-08-2006, 04:15 AM
im so sick of the lame ass...oh were under over the luxury tax

fuck you ass holes...how long has it ben under the so called Holt Cat spending.
get used to it jackasses

please dont be an embassassment to the league like the cry baby mavs fans

Taking it to the Hole
07-08-2006, 01:10 PM
Well, he could but who starts at the 4 then? Bonner, Horry, Oberto?... probably not... They still need one quality big man if they want to play for the championship. Somebody who rebounds and plays good defense...

Well, at this point it may easier for the Spurs to find a starter at PF, rather than a starter at C, so it looks to me that unless the Spurs make an offer to Collins in Utah, which I really hope they don't, then we are out of the running for everyone else. I think we need to focus on signing a solid PF and have Tim at C for at least the first half of the season. If it turns out that Javtokas and Oberto play better than expected in reserve minutes, then we can always move Tim back to the 4 and still have a reliable back-up available if need be. Right now, I seriously think this is their best option. Keep Barry at back-up point, and just keep Beno for the time being to have more depth. We might need to "bite the bullet" and realize that we are not going to get that coveted long 3 and starting center. I say we make the best with what we have and look to next year when we will have more options available to us.

SenorSpur
07-08-2006, 01:14 PM
http://www.euroleague.net/fotos/jugadores/E05/BMP.jpg

People have posted info about Baston before, but he can get up off the floor, block shots, play D...went to H.S. in Dallas. He's really probably 6'9".

I've seen him play on NBAtv for Maccabi 2 or 3 times over the past couple of years. He also played for Toronto in '03. He might be an interesting option for the Spurs.

If nothing else he would be cheap. Always an attractive option for the Spurs. I thought he was committed to playing for the Spurs summer league team.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2006, 01:39 PM
The cheapness of the team's ownership in the prime of Tim Duncan's career is a fucking joke.

clubalien
07-08-2006, 01:48 PM
Small ball, because small is cheaper then big ----- Spurs policy 2006

SenorSpur
07-08-2006, 02:22 PM
The cheapness of the team's ownership in the prime of Tim Duncan's career is a fucking joke.

Totally agree. If there was any time to incur a luxury tax, it would be during the Tim Duncan era.

Of course, I'm not saying the Spurs should be frivolous or stupid with their personnel decisions. Yet, everyone knows that the single most important cog in these 3 championship runs has been Duncan. He's truly been a once-in-a-lifetime player. Once he's gone, there are no guarantees that this organization will ever "sniff" championship-level contention again.

The Spurs have been very fortunate in that they've had two once-in-a-lifetime players in Duncan and Robinson. Look how the organization wasted the first 8 years of D-Rob's hall-of-fame career.

That said, let's be greedy. Put the freakin', necessary pieces around Duncan and let's grab a couple of more trophies before he hangs 'em up.

johngateswhiteley
07-08-2006, 02:28 PM

exactly. besides its not like we are talking about a lot of money over the luxury line....and yes, i can judge it b/c i know a bunch of the owners.

clubalien
07-08-2006, 02:49 PM
however, the more playoff games you are in the more money you make

so if we go over the tax a little and win the nba champ we are in a better position then being under and not making playoffs

johngateswhiteley
07-08-2006, 02:52 PM
however, the more playoff games you are in the more money you make

so if we go over the tax a little and win the nba champ we are in a better position then being under and not making playoffs

....the main thing is, i am not talking, nor is anybody, about becoming the knicks....were just talking a little over the cap so duncan's best years do not go wanting. we are never going to get a player like him again...

...and i am not saying go out and get players, just anybody, but if the situation arises...get the guy.

Spurs Dynasty 21
07-08-2006, 02:54 PM

exactly, once Duncan retires, no more titles

Scrooge McHolt
07-08-2006, 03:43 PM
Hey, everyone needs to realize it's hard to get by only making 15 million a year off my basketball team. Going three million a year over the cap is a hard thing to cope with.

ChumpDumper
07-08-2006, 03:44 PM
This guy is no mouse.

Holt's Cat
07-08-2006, 03:49 PM

Even Aggies get it.

shaggy17
07-08-2006, 04:17 PM
If I am Tim Duncan I start making threats to the front office to quit pissing my prime years away trying to build for the fucking stupid ass future!!! This is such a disgrace :madrun

Mr. Body
07-08-2006, 04:20 PM
I'm surprised everyone wants to throw money away. That would guarantee more losses down the road.

Which player that we missed out on really would have improved us that much? 1) improved us much at any reasonable price; 2) wasn't hyped beyond his value (Ben Wallace, who we weren't getting anyway).

Everyone calm down. The Spurs have done very well so far for not pissing money away on marginal and crappy players.

Slinkyman
07-08-2006, 04:54 PM
I'm surprised everyone wants to throw money away. since when do most people want the spurs to keep Brent Barry?

IcemanCometh
07-08-2006, 05:25 PM
the spurs are a fucking nickle and dime organization

Buddy Holly
07-08-2006, 05:26 PM

Show me what team wants to be over the lux. tax??

:lol :lol

The successful Knicks?

Slinkyman
07-08-2006, 05:37 PM

The spurs are playing the game smart, they just need to dump the dead weight. Rasho should've been just the first step, barry should be next.

SenorSpur
07-08-2006, 06:17 PM
If I am Tim Duncan I start making threats to the front office to quit pissing my prime years away trying to build for the fucking stupid ass future!!! This is such a disgrace :madrun

The Spurs don't even have enough of a young core of talent (sans Parker) on the team now to truly say they're building for the future.

As for the international talent stash, no one knows how the talents of Mahmimi, Jaktovas and others will fare at the NBA level.