PDA

View Full Version : Jeffries suitors down to 2 says Washington paper

Quadzilla99
07-08-2006, 05:36 AM
From the Washington Times. There is a link below. enjoy.

THE WASHINGTON TIMES
While the Washington Wizards have broken off talks with forward Jared Jeffries, it isn't as if the team doesn't hold a trump card or two of its own.
Jeffries, a 6-foot-11 restricted free agent, is believed to be looking for a four- to five-year deal that would pay him more than $5 million annually. The Wizards are allowed to match whatever offer Jeffries receives from potential suitors. The biggest problem for Jeffries is that with all the signings that have taken place, the number of teams with available cap room has pretty much dwindled to just two -- Toronto and Atlanta. Charlotte also has cap space but is not believed to be interested in Jeffries.
Because most teams are over the cap, the only cash most can offer Jeffries would be the mid-level exception over five seasons.
Jeffries' best option to get more money out of the Wizards at this point is to hope that the salary cap takes a nice jump when it is announced next week from the $49.5?million mark at the conclusion of the 2005-06 season. The new cap is expected to be in the neighborhood of between $52 million and $53 million.
Jeffries might even consider signing the team's qualifying offer of approximately $2.8?million. If he opts to go that route then he would become an unrestricted free agent next summer.
-- John N. Mitchell
http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20060707-114012-8115r.htm

Kori Ellis
07-08-2006, 05:41 AM
Well Atlanta can't sign players for contracts over 1 year. So I guess it's narrowed down to Toronto :lol

TDMVPDPOY
07-08-2006, 06:53 AM
why would toronto sign him for, they couldve just kept CV who was earnin on a rookie contract, where they couldve just use mle to sign speedy claxton or go after a PG. i dont think toronto is interested in signin him.

2Cleva
07-08-2006, 07:32 AM
Jeffries would be a great defender on that squad and they need depth on the perimeter. I could see it.

texbound
07-08-2006, 07:37 AM
Well Atlanta can't sign players for contracts over 1 year. So I guess it's narrowed down to Toronto

Doesn't even surpise me that the Times didn't do their research to figure this out. What kills me even more is that the ruling came from a judge in their own backyard (Mont. County, MD)

ro_50
07-08-2006, 08:07 AM
Doesn't even surpise me that the Times didn't do their research to figure this out. What kills me even more is that the ruling came from a judge in their own backyard (Mont. County, MD)

It's the Washington Times, go figure. My ex works for them and let me tell you its a nuthouse over there.

jaffies
07-08-2006, 09:29 AM
Jeffries narrows it down to two teams
Jaffies narrows it down to Chachos or Whataburger

exstatic
07-08-2006, 09:32 AM
Chachos. Definitely Chachos.

Mr. Body
07-08-2006, 10:47 AM

The decision might not have come out when the article was being written.

SenorSpur
07-08-2006, 01:08 PM
Another rumor about a potential suitor for Jeffries, though since deemed unfounded:

Arizona Republic - The Jared Jeffries to Phoenix via a sign and trade rumors which appeared in the Washington Times are unfounded, league sources have told the Arizona Republic.

The Wizards and the 6-foot-11 Jefferies, who played all five positions at different times last season, are at an impasse in contract negotiations. He averaged 6.9 points and 4.3 rebounds in 77 games last season

clubalien
07-08-2006, 01:14 PM
he played all 5 poistions?

of there you go rc WANTS "FLEXIBILITY" and there is your starting center and backup point guard and backup 3 in one siging. ofcourse you know we will only offer the vet min for 4 years so ofcourse it won't ever sign and have washigton match

SenorSpur
07-08-2006, 01:19 PM
he played all 5 poistions?

of there you go rc WANTS "FLEXIBILITY" and there is your starting center and backup point guard and backup 3 in one siging. ofcourse you know we will only offer the vet min for 4 years so ofcourse it won't ever sign and have washigton match

Exactly. I'm scratching my head on this one too. Jeffries seems to fit the mold exactly of the type of guy Pop stated he wanted to acquire this offseason. In his own words, a "Derrick McKey-type" player. Long, lanky, athletic, can run and defend multiple positions. Talk about flexibility - this guy has it and then some. Also, he should come a bit cheaper than most.

Perhaps we won't know what the Spurs will do until the official announcement about the salary cap hike on 7/12.

El_Mago
07-08-2006, 01:56 PM
Yeah, everyday it seems more like the Spurs are just going to wait to see what the cap number is.....therefore, kick up the feet, relax, and open up a snickers because its gonna be a while....

exstatic
07-08-2006, 04:16 PM
SA has to find out the cap number. Then they need to find trading partners. My guess is that ATL will be collecting ending contracts and draft picks as a third party this summer because of their 1 year signing restrictions.