PDA

View Full Version : Paul Pierce close to contract extension in Boston-Boston Herald reports

Quadzilla99
07-08-2006, 07:01 AM
From the Boston Herald, there is a link below.

Boston Herald Sports Reporter

Saturday, July 8, 2006 - Updated: 01:23 AM EST

LAS VEGAS - The Celtics are apparently on the proper path to an agreement on a contract extension with Paul Pierce.

Director of basketball operations Danny Ainge cautioned that nothing is yet complete, but he has been working with Pierce and the player’s agent, Jeff Schwartz, on a pact that would keep the captain a Celtic through the 2011-12 season.

“I think we’re going to get something resolved,” Ainge said yesterday. “I’ve been talking to Paul and Jeff since July 1. There are still some things to talk about, but I’m confident that we’ll get a deal done.”

There is a certain amount of pressure on the Celtics to do the extension this summer, in that Pierce has the option to terminate his contract after the coming season. He is on the books for $15,101,625 this year, but could pass up the $16,360,094 for 2007-08 and become an unrestricted free agent.

The Celts are clearly hoping to avoid that possibility.

Under the NBA’s current collective bargaining agreement, the most players now can have on their contracts is five years. If he stays, Pierce will get a three-year extension that will take him through the summer of 2011. He’ll be 33 at that time, still able to move to a championship contender if the Celtics haven’t yet reached that level.

While early-outs and other contractual perks are likely being discussed, in terms of money, the best the Celts can do is $59,387,127 for three years, an average of $19,795,709. The most he can get elsewhere beginning next summer is five years at $91,968,890, an average of $18,393,778.

To make the latter work perfectly for Pierce, he would need to find a contending team far enough under the cap or have the Celts work out a sign-and-trade deal.

Ainge has been caught a bit off guard by speculation that Pierce will try to move on to another club.

“I don’t know why this is such a big deal,” he said of the potential of a new contract. “Paul’s said from the beginning that he’s interested in getting something done with us.”

When it was mentioned that Pierce has talked often about the importance of playing for a championship and that such an opportunity might be further away with the Celtics, Ainge said, “I just believe what Paul tells me; not what he tells anybody else. I believe what he says.

“I’m in constant contact with Paul and Jeff. I’ve been talking to Jeff just about every other day. I believe Paul wants to be in Boston, and we want Paul in Boston. That’s why I’m confident we can get a deal done. Both sides want it. That’s my opinion.”

On the subject of both Ainge and Pierce stating the need to add a veteran to the Celtics, the former interrupted the query.

“No,” Ainge said, “I want to get another good, quality veteran. Not just a veteran. There’s a difference.”

http://celtics.bostonherald.com/celtics/view.bg?articleid=147404