PDA

View Full Version : Gallup: 2 In 3 Americans Favor Iraq 'Cut and Run'

Nbadan
07-08-2006, 03:36 PM
Gallup: Almost Two-Thirds Want Iraq Withdrawal
By E&P Staff
Published: July 07, 2006 11:25 AM ET

NEW YORK - A new Gallup poll finds that roughly 2 in 3 Americans urge a U.S. withdrawal from Iraq, with 31% wanting this to start immediately.

Gallup's director, Frank Newport, sums up the results today: "Taken together, it is perhaps fair to say that a significant majority of Americans would like the United States to either withdraw troops from Iraq or make specific plans to do so, although there is no majority demand that troops be withdrawn immediately."

The poll was unusual in that rather than give respondents a list of options, it allowed them to respond in their own words. Gallup then grouped the varied responses and labelled them with a common theme.

Results showed that almost 1 in 3 want to "pull the troops out and come home," as soon as possible. About the same number seem to wish for a gradual pullout. The remaining one-third back the present course or want to "finish what we started."

Editor and Publisher (http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002801550)

Even Democratic war-hawks like Hillary, Biden and Lieberman are being challenged and hopefully, eventually marginalized. I am happy to see that there are anti-war protesters where ever Hillary speaks. That is quite a change from her first run for the Senate. The war-hawks ignore not just what Democrats are saying but what the American people are saying to their own political peril.

ChumpDumper
07-08-2006, 03:42 PM
Results showed that almost 1 in 3 want to "pull the troops out and come home," as soon as possible. About the same number seem to wish for a gradual pullout. The remaining one-third back the present course or want to "finish what we started."So only 1/3 favors cut and run.

Count me among the remaining 1/3 described above.

Nbadan
07-08-2006, 03:48 PM
Gradual pullout is cut and run. It's not like any poltician, even John Murtha, want a immediate complete withdrawal.

ChumpDumper
07-08-2006, 03:56 PM
I suppose it depends on what is meant by "gradual", but they'll start coming home by October, so i don't know what we're on about.

MannyIsGod
07-08-2006, 03:59 PM
[
Even Democratic war-hawks like Hillary, Biden and Lieberman are being challenged and hopefully, eventually marginalized. I am happy to see that there are anti-war protesters where ever Hillary speaks. That is quite a change from her first run for the Senate. The war-hawks ignore not just what Democrats are saying but what the American people are saying to their own political peril.Liberman is going down. :tu

exstatic
07-08-2006, 05:04 PM
Liberman is going down. :tu
But he's determined to give the GOP the seat by running independant. As if his war stance didn't already brand him as a GOP collaborator.

"Cut and run", according to Bushco, is anyone with any desire to pull our troops out any time, so yes 2/3 do favor "Cut and run".

jochhejaam
07-08-2006, 06:12 PM
[B]Gallup: Almost Two-Thirds Want Iraq Withdrawal
By E&P Staff
Published: July 07, 2006 11:25 AM ET

Editor and Publisher (http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002801550)

Even Democratic war-hawks like Hillary, Biden and Lieberman are being challenged and hopefully, eventually marginalized. I am happy to see that there are anti-war protesters where ever Hillary speaks. That is quite a change from her first run for the Senate. The war-hawks ignore not just what Democrats are saying but what the American people are saying to their own political peril.

Nce spin by Editor and Publisher

Taken from wikipedia:

Editor and Publisher Magazine

E&P was purchased in 1999 by BPI Communications, a division of VNU Business Media. VNU Media also publishes the following media-related magazines: Adweek, Mediaweek, Brandweek, Sales & Marketing Management, and DNonline.com. E&P switched from weekly to monthly publication in January 2004.

While generally maintaining journalistic objectivity when covering the newspaper industry, E&P has been considered to represent the viewpoints and biases of newspaper owners, from private owners of single nwspapers to public corporations which own large chains of newspapers.
<sigh>

Gradual pullout means cut and run? Okay dan, if you and E & P say so. :lol

exstatic
07-08-2006, 10:11 PM
Every plan involves a timetable, including any hypothetical one to withdraw from Iraq. If you have no timetable, it's not a plan, it's a concept or an idea. Since anyone who proposes a timetable is a "cut and runner", the Bush Administration either wants to ALSO withdraw without a plan (since they refuse any talk of a timetable, and well, they attacked that way), or never withdraw at all.

Nancy Pelosi
07-09-2006, 09:22 AM
Gradual pullout is cut and run. It's not like any poltician, even John Murtha, want a immediate complete withdrawal.

Don't you believe that for a minute. Us Democrats want out of their
NOW! 100 percent. And don't you ever forget it.

01Snake
07-09-2006, 10:25 AM
Don't you believe that for a minute. Us Democrats want out of their
NOW! 100 percent. And don't you ever forget it.

Nancy makes me want to puke!

Clandestino
07-09-2006, 11:50 AM
i have never seen a group of people more obsessed with polls

ChumpDumper
07-09-2006, 01:24 PM
i have never seen a group of people more obsessed with pollsThe only folks more obsessed with polls than the Bush administration are the Democrats running against it.

Nbadan
07-09-2006, 01:40 PM
Despite the rhetoric, the WH doesn't wipe its ass unless the polls say it's OK.

Clandestino
07-09-2006, 03:13 PM
both of you are full of shit.. bush is one of the few presidents who doesn't base his decisions on polls

ChumpDumper
07-09-2006, 03:16 PM
LMFAO.

You crack me up.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-09-2006, 03:22 PM

And obviously Clinton never governed his decisions by polls either.

exstatic
07-09-2006, 04:07 PM
And obviously Clinton never governed his decisions by polls either.
All politicians, without exception, and whatever else they may say, base their actions on the polls. That would include both Clinton AND Bush.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-09-2006, 04:08 PM
I never said it didn't include ex, just calling Dan on his typical Bush is the only one that does it crap.

exstatic
07-09-2006, 04:49 PM
My response wasn't necessarily to you alone, AHF, it was to those tools who think that Bush ignores the polls because that's what he says he does.

When you are confronted with bad poll numbers, you have three choices:
1) ignore it. political suicide, for you and your party.
2) change your position.
3) spin it and get the public to change theirs.

Bushco has been pretty effective with number 3 for most of their tenure, but if they think they can wrap the Iraq dog turd in frosting and serve it at a wedding, they and the rest of the GOP are going to get their heads snapped back in November.

Nbadan
07-09-2006, 05:07 PM
1) ignore it. political suicide, for you and your party.

It's political suicide unless your buddies own the e-vote. This is why we must insure that our elections are even more secure and reliable than the vote in Mexico, which they are currently not.

01Snake
07-09-2006, 05:12 PM
It's political suicide unless your buddies own the e-vote. This is why we must insure that our elections are even more secure and reliable than the vote in Mexico, which they are currently not.\

GOD..you are a fucking IDIOT!

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-09-2006, 05:17 PM
It's political suicide unless your buddies own the e-vote. This is why we must insure that our elections are even more secure and reliable than the vote in Mexico, which they are currently not.

I'm surprised you even still get internet service with all those black helicopters flying overhead.

Nbadan
07-09-2006, 11:35 PM
I'm surprised you even still get internet service with all those black helicopters flying overhead.

GAO Report (http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d05956.pdf)

Nbadan
07-10-2006, 12:48 AM
Yeah, as in California's case, another good start would be not letting precinct bosses take their e-voting machines home with them the night before the election. Exit Polls have always been really accurate; I don't care what the resident wing bats say. If the election differs greatly from the exit polls you can be assured there were probably some shenanigans going on in the election.

Nbadan
07-10-2006, 12:50 AM
even victoria keeps paper copies

Or in Larado's case, you keep paper ballots locked in a bank until you need them. South Texas has no credibility to stand on in this issue.

jochhejaam
07-11-2006, 08:51 PM
One more thing regarding this twisted joke of a poll.
The first example they give as an indication that the American people want to cut and run in Iraq is; "wanting to pull the troops out of Iraq as soon as possible". That's ridiculous. I too want the troops home from Iraq as soon as possible but I'm certainly not with the "cut and run" crowd.

If they wanted a clear picture of how many Americans want to cut & run in Iraq (clue, they didn't) they could have worded the poll;

Do you support an immediate withdrawal from Iraq.
Yes
No

But that would have made it extremely difficult (if not impossible) to twist and that would not have served their purpose.

mookie2001
07-11-2006, 08:57 PM
really jochhhecejajaam?

I think saying immediate would make it even more unclear and twistable

whats immediate?
a day?
as soon as possible?

jochhejaam
07-11-2006, 09:59 PM
really jochhhecejajaam?

I think saying immediate would make it even more unclear and twistable

whats immediate?
a day?
as soon as possible?

If I told you to get out of my face immediately would that be unclear to you?

Most people wouldn't have a problem understanding what an immediate withdrawal from Iraq meant.

jochhejaam
07-11-2006, 11:36 PM
A more accurate poll regarding "cut and run".

Iraq

Views are divided on setting a timetable for U.S. troops to leave Iraq, though overall Americans want troops to stay and finish the job.

On the key issue of setting a timetable, 44 percent think it does more harm than good because it tells the enemy when it can take over, while 38 percent say it does more good because it makes Iraq get prepared to stand on its own.

A majority says they want U.S. troops to “stay in Iraq and finish the job” (55 percent) rather than “come home now” (38 percent). These results are essentially unchanged from last fall: 55 percent “finish the job” and 36 percent “come home” (November 2005).

Fully 83 percent of Republicans want troops to stay and finish the job; 62 percent of Democrats feel the opposite and want troops to come home now.

Majorities of Republicans (54 percent) and Democrats (61 percent) agree that the Republican position on Iraq can be characterized as “stay and pay.” There is more disagreement on how the Democratic position is being characterized, as most Republicans (70 percent) think it can be called “cut and run,” but most Democrats (68 percent) dispute that label.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,201573,00.html

Nbadan
07-12-2006, 12:14 AM
Blah, Joch is trying to say that those who want a timetable to withdrawal aren't with the 'cut and run' crowd that want an immidiate withdrawal, but thats simply not true. The administration favors no set time-table and the Neocon pundits like Insannity and O'Lilley make it clear everday what group the 'time-table people' are a part of.

jochhejaam
07-12-2006, 06:28 AM
Joch, <are you> trying to say that those who want a timetable to withdraw aren't with the 'cut and run' crowd?
Yes dan, that's exactly what I'm saying, thanks for asking.

mookie2001
07-12-2006, 06:37 PM
If I told you to get out of my face immediately would that be unclear to you?

I would do so as soon as possible

jochhejaam
07-13-2006, 06:55 AM
I would do so as soon as possible
As long as, "as soon as possible" means immediately then you would be okay. :fro

jochhejaam
07-13-2006, 07:01 AM
so joch confirms that he agrees with what dan disagrees with...
Dan and I are at an impasse. Never the twain shall meet. We have irreconciliable differences, we are at odds, diametrically opposed and that without remedy.
Other than that we see eye to eye on the poll.

Crookshanks
07-13-2006, 12:35 PM
Regarding President Bush and polls - I heard part of his interview (I think it was with Larry King) and he was asked about his legacy. This is what President Bush replied:

When history looks back on my Presidency, I would rather be judged right than popular.

That doesn't sound like he cares too much about the polls.

clambake
07-13-2006, 12:44 PM
or his legacy

Oh, Gee!!
07-13-2006, 01:04 PM
I support cutting, but not running. I guess that makes me a moderate.

xrayzebra
07-13-2006, 03:19 PM
Blah, Joch is trying to say that those who want a timetable to withdrawal aren't with the 'cut and run' crowd that want an immidiate withdrawal, but thats simply not true. The administration favors no set time-table and the Neocon pundits like Insannity and O'Lilley make it clear everday what group the 'time-table people' are a part of.

So we are saying, let sit a timetable so everyone knows when we get out
Dodge. Now that really makes sense, doesn't it. Like Not!

Sit timetables, in no way should we sit a time table. Our time table should
be when we win or stabilize the area.

Think about a little something. The war in Europe started in 1939, we entered
in 1942 or thereabouts, we are still there.

The war in the Pacific started about the same time, and we are still
in Japan.

The war in Korea started in 1950, we are still there.

The war in the Balkans started in the 90's and we are still there.

For goodness sake, how come we have to have a time table for Iraq
and not for all the other places? Other than it sounds so good.

Get used to the fact we are in the ME for the rest of your lifetime and
most definitely mine and more than likely your kids. Unless, we lose then
we will be occupied for the same time period. Oh, maybe, they will
sit a time table.

Oh, Gee!!
07-13-2006, 03:24 PM
I say we leave the troops there forever. Will that satisfy your bloodlust, Xray?

xrayzebra
07-13-2006, 03:30 PM
I say we leave the troops there forever. Will that satisfy your bloodlust, Xray?

It's not bloodlust. I told you my reasons for not sitting a time table.

Are you saying we leave on a certain date, win, lose or draw? That really
makes sense, doesn't it?

Oh, Gee!!
07-13-2006, 03:31 PM
It's not bloodlust. I told you my reasons for not sitting a time table.

Are you saying we leave on a certain date, win, lose or draw? That really
makes sense, doesn't it?

you don't make sense, Xray!!

xrayzebra
07-13-2006, 03:37 PM
you don't make sense, Xray!!

Why, you don't understand the language? Or is it you just don't like what
I say.

But no difference, I only express my opinion. So whatever rings you bell.
It is only a forum and a place to express mine or your opinion. No one has
to agree with it.
:rolleyes

Oh, Gee!!
07-13-2006, 03:40 PM
Get used to the fact we are in the ME for the rest of your lifetime and most definitely mine and more than likely your kids. Unless, we lose then we will be occupied for the same time period. Oh, maybe, they will sit a time table.

So if we don't win in Iraq, we will be occupied by a ME country? What kind of paranoid, delusional stuff runs through that feeble brain of yours?

Oh, Gee!!
07-13-2006, 03:41 PM
Why, you don't understand the language? Or is it you just don't like what
I say.

But no difference, I only express my opinion. So whatever rings you bell.
It is only a forum and a place to express mine or your opinion. No one has
to agree with it.
:rolleyes

I don't understand your language.

ChumpDumper
07-13-2006, 04:04 PM
Regarding President Bush and polls - I heard part of his interview (I think it was with Larry King) and he was asked about his legacy. This is what President Bush replied:

When history looks back on my Presidency, I would rather be judged right than popular.

That doesn't sound like he cares too much about the polls.
:lmao

What would anyone expect him to say? Especially in the take-no -prisoners pressure cooker that is the Larry King interview.