PDA

View Full Version : Bonzi Wells: Nuggets Interested

ducks
07-09-2006, 04:15 PM
Bonzi Wells: Nuggets Interested

RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com
Sunday, July 9, 2006
Update: Wells' agent met Saturday with Nuggets director of player personnel Mark Warkentien at the Vegas Summer League, the Rocky Mountain News reports.

Recommendation: The Nuggets are interested in Wells, but can't offer more than a five-year, $30 million deal. The Kings have offered him a five-year deal worth about $36 million, but Wells is said to be seeking more.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=rotowire-onziellsuggetsnteres&prov=rotowire&type=lgns

ChumpDumper
07-09-2006, 04:16 PM
I don't see his getting any more than the King's offer.

Slinkyman
07-09-2006, 04:19 PM
Are the Kings stupid? 5/36 for wells is a joke, the guy made 8 millon last year and played his ass off for that team, reward the guy that became one of your leaders. You can't expect a guy to take that deal when Brad Miller is making 10 mil and Bibby is making 12.5 and neither showed up in the playoffs.

ducks
07-09-2006, 04:20 PM
I wonder if pistons are ticked they spent the mle on nazr now
they would have a shot at wells....

exstatic
07-09-2006, 04:34 PM
Two words, Bonzi: Latrell Sprewell. He turned down an offer very much like this one (shorter duration) the year before his FA. He was eventually reduced to vet min offers.

Obstructed_View
07-09-2006, 04:35 PM
Bonzi played 52 games for the Kings and only showed up for the final 6.

ducks
07-09-2006, 04:35 PM
I guess hawks could offer wells a big one year deal....

ducks
07-09-2006, 04:36 PM
and prove it was not a fluke

Bruno
07-09-2006, 04:37 PM
I wonder if pistons are ticked they spent the mle on nazr now
they would have a shot at wells....

Don't think so. They needed more a bigman than swingman.
They will maybe regret to have sign Nazr instead of Pryz.

ChumpDumper
07-09-2006, 04:38 PM
Are the Kings stupid? 5/36 for wells is a joke, the guy made 8 millon last year and played his ass off for that team, reward the guy that became one of your leaders. You can't expect a guy to take that deal when Brad Miller is making 10 mil and Bibby is making 12.5 and neither showed up in the playoffs.Who is going to pay him more?

Bob Lanier
07-09-2006, 04:40 PM
A post-up swingman without a consistent jumpshot - didn't they just give Anthony a max contract to fill that role?

DerMarr Johnson would be a better choice than Bonzi for that team.

exstatic
07-09-2006, 04:40 PM
What they are offering is enought for a fat, moody SF.

Slinkyman
07-09-2006, 04:44 PM
Bonzi played 52 games for the Kings and only showed up for the final 6.

He was playing well before he got hurt last year, even then 13.6/7.7 for a SG is pretty damn good. Either way he showed up big time when it counted the most.

Slinkyman
07-09-2006, 04:45 PM
What they are offering is enought for a fat, moody SF.

a 6-5 guy that weighs 210 is fat? ok.

Obstructed_View
07-09-2006, 04:45 PM
Either way he showed up big time when he thought he could get paid. He's done it before and someone was dumb enough to pay him.
Fixed it for ya.

ChumpDumper
07-09-2006, 04:48 PM
There is no way in hell he weighs 210.

Enygmatic
07-09-2006, 04:53 PM
I dont know about Wells but NBA.com just posted an article saying that Iverson may be the Nuggets Answer..check it out

exstatic
07-09-2006, 04:54 PM
He's 240-245 if he's a pound.

I agree that he didn't just show up for the playoffs, but I am VERY suspicious when a player's numbers spike like that in a contract year. He had never rebounded more than 6 a game before and his career number is a pedestrian 4.7. I would expect that to be his number next year, regardless of pay amount.

Slinkyman
07-09-2006, 04:54 PM

you act like he's Jackie Butler, maybe not 210 but he's not fat. Being fat doesn't get you rebounds, being big and strong does.

Anyway I'd say Bonzi is worth around 5/45 when softies like Nene get 6/60, i know he's not a big and bigs get overpaid but kings should just give him what he's worth. They have the jack, do the right thing and pay up.

ChumpDumper
07-09-2006, 04:59 PM
you act like he's Jackie ButlerI act like he weighs more than 210. RIF.
Anyway I'd say Bonzi is worth around 5/45 when softies like Nene get 6/60, i know he's not a big and bigs get overpaid but kings should just give him what he's worth. They have the jack, do the right thing and pay up.Again, who else is going to pay even that much?

exstatic
07-09-2006, 04:59 PM
you act like he's Jackie Butler, maybe not 210 but he's not fat. Being fat doesn't get you rebounds, being big and strong does.

Anyway I'd say Bonzi is worth around 5/45 when softies like Nene get 6/60, i know he's not a big and bigs get overpaid but kings should just give him what he's worth. They have the jack, do the right thing and pay up.

Because he's fooled a team before with this act. After year 4 when he got 6.0 boards per contest, he got paid, and his rebounding numbers were as follows:

02-03 5.3
03-04 3.6 (2 teams)
04-05 3.3
05-06 7.7

Are any alarm bells ringing for you? They are for me if I'm the Sacto GM. He only plays hard in contract years.

Slinkyman
07-09-2006, 05:13 PM
Because he's fooled a team before with this act. After year 4 when he got 6.0 boards per contest, he got paid, and his rebounding numbers were as follows:

02-03 5.3
03-04 3.6 (2 teams)
04-05 3.3
05-06 7.7

Are any alarm bells ringing for you? They are for me if I'm the Sacto GM. He only plays hard in contract years.

he also went from a starter to bench player at memphis, less minutes = less rebounds.

exstatic
07-09-2006, 05:21 PM

01-02 6.0 31.7
02-03 5.3 31.9
03-04 3.6 (2 teams) 26.0
04-05 3.3 21.6
05-06 7.7 32.4

I took the liberty of adding his last contract year, and his minutes in red. Only in 04-05 did the minutes see an appreciable dip. From 03-04 to 05-06 his minutes went up from 26 to 32, six whole minutes, and his fucking rebounding more than doubled!!! That's playing for a contract.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-09-2006, 05:23 PM
they wont get Bonzi and hopefully dont even want him, unless its cheap.

I hope they are setting all sights on AI :fro

Slinkyman
07-09-2006, 05:23 PM
I took the liberty of adding his last contract year, and his minutes in red. Only in 04-05 did the minutes see an appreciable dip. From 03-04 to 05-06 his minutes went up from 26 to 32, six whole minutes, and his fucking rebounding more than doubled!!! That's playing for a contract.

I don't doubt he played harder in a contract year, every player does or at least they should it only makes sense. If you take out those 2 season with memphis his numbers are pretty consistant, i think memphis failed to use Bonzi to the best of his ability and i don't think he was that motivated there either. He should have started over Mike Miller but West has a hard on for Miller. Wouldn't you be pissed if Mike Miller was starting over you? :lol

Bruno
07-09-2006, 05:28 PM
From 03-04 to 05-06 his minutes went up from 26 to 32, six whole minutes, and his fucking rebounding more than doubled!!! That's playing for a contract.

He was too in a new team with new teamates and a new coach.
Don't what factor was the most important : contract year or new team.

exstatic
07-09-2006, 05:36 PM
His numbers had already started to slip before he left Portland, so I'd say it was the Benjamins.

Nothing wrong with a little extra effort in a contract year, but when your numbers spike sharply, and last time you got paid they took a 3 year slide, caution is advised.

Obstructed_View
07-09-2006, 05:40 PM
I don't doubt he played harder in a contract year, every player does or at least they should it only makes sense.Name a guy on the Spurs who has done it. If you looked at Parker's numbers for his career to figure out when he signed his deal, you'd think he was free this year.

ShoogarBear
07-09-2006, 05:43 PM
If Bonzi wants to live, he'll resign with the Kings.

ducks
07-09-2006, 05:53 PM
wells signs with nuggets and gets trade with miller for ai

Slinkyman
07-09-2006, 05:57 PM
Name a guy on the Spurs who has done it. If you looked at Parker's numbers for his career to figure out when he signed his deal, you'd think he was free this year.

Derek anderson

Obstructed_View
07-09-2006, 06:02 PM
He's shown a history of improving in contract years, but not a history of improving when he changes teams.

Derek anderson
There are plenty of guys who have done it who left. I meant someone who stayed. You bring up an excellent example, though. DA was a contract year type player. Do you want him on your team?

ShoogarBear
07-09-2006, 06:59 PM
wells signs with nuggets and gets trade with miller for ai
I think if he signs with them he can't be traded for several months.

shaggy17
07-09-2006, 07:57 PM
Why would the nuggets want him tho? He is the same type of player in ways that Melo. However if they can deal Kenyans bloated contract for him then pull the trigger

Slinkyman
07-09-2006, 10:31 PM
He's shown a history of improving in contract years, but not a history of improving when he changes teams.

There are plenty of guys who have done it who left. I meant someone who stayed. You bring up an excellent example, though. DA was a contract year type player. Do you want him on your team?

I can name a bunch of free agents that signed with the spurs after having great seasons then turned to crap, rasho and barry are two that come to mind. Would i want DA? no, but i'd wand Bonzi. Look at Jason Terry, his numbers went up from last year and he played very well in the playoffs and dallas gave him a good deal. I just think Sac should up the offer a little for a guy who actually showed up in the playoffs unlike other kings such as Peja, Bibby, Miller, Webber, etc.

ChumpDumper
07-10-2006, 02:49 AM
Again, who would pay more than Sacto is offerring?

spurs_love_dyck
07-10-2006, 03:44 AM
The nuggets are crap, there's no need to talk about them. They're made out of shit.

Obstructed_View
07-10-2006, 06:15 PM
I can name a bunch of free agents that signed with the spurs after having great seasons then turned to crap, rasho and barry are two that come to mind. Would i want DA? no, but i'd wand Bonzi. Look at Jason Terry, his numbers went up from last year and he played very well in the playoffs and dallas gave him a good deal. I just think Sac should up the offer a little for a guy who actually showed up in the playoffs unlike other kings such as Peja, Bibby, Miller, Webber, etc.
Good points, but one could argue that Rasho and Barry never stopped giving effort. I'd put Malik on that list before Rasho and Barry, and Malik didn't stop trying either, but his numbers probably dropped further. If the Kings are rewarding Bonzi for the six games last season, that's one thing. They have every reason to be gunshy of just paying him for his potential. We all know he's got a load of talent. I'd love to see him prove all the doubters wrong, but I predict he won't.

NugzFan
07-11-2006, 01:33 AM

nene soft? lol.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-11-2006, 01:37 AM
you'll have to 4give some spurs fans, they dont even know what a physical player is. Its been a while since they have had one on their team :smokin

Obstructed_View
07-12-2006, 09:09 AM
you'll have to 4give some spurs fans, they dont even know what a physical player is. Its been a while since they have had one on their team :smokin
I guess a physical player is one who gets two other guys together to throw forearms at a player who is dominating them, just like a good fan is one who throws coins at the opposing team when they don't get the calls they want. :rolleyes