PDA

View Full Version : ESPN radio: Players don't want to play in SA

Lakerfan
07-09-2006, 05:46 PM
If anyone heard it please confirm, but one of the Radio hosts talked to players and they said they have a hard time coming to SA, thats why SA can't get a center to come to play for them cause its not a bright spot although i was shocked i thought SA was a beautiful place to live at.

Obstructed_View
07-09-2006, 05:49 PM
Never heard that one before.

thispego
07-09-2006, 05:49 PM
yeah, most players dont like winning championships

exstatic
07-09-2006, 05:50 PM
How many ESPN radio Spur bashing threads are you going to start, Lakertrash?

Lakerfan
07-09-2006, 05:51 PM
yeah, most players dont like winning championships

I thought the same aswell.

Slinkyman
07-09-2006, 05:54 PM
If anyone heard it please confirm, but one of the Radio hosts talked to players and they said they have a hard time coming to SA, thats why SA can't get a center to come to play for them cause its not a bright spot although i was shocked i thought SA was a beautiful place to live at.

SA is only beautiful compared to LA :lol

Obstructed_View
07-09-2006, 05:55 PM
The city has helped the team keep their own players, so that's probably more important anyway.

Bruno
07-09-2006, 05:55 PM
I trust what you heard on ESPN radio :
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1081740#post1081740

Lakerfan
07-09-2006, 05:56 PM
I did not make this up if anyone heard the ESPN radio around 2:25PM you would've heard it.

Big P
07-09-2006, 06:00 PM
The NBA just polled alot of NBA players a few weeks ago & said the #1 place they would like to play is SA...who cares what some BSPN radio host said?

ChumpDumper
07-09-2006, 06:01 PM
Duncan demands trade.

Russ
07-09-2006, 06:03 PM
East Coast urban guys generally do not like SA, it's too small with no urban street community. Others players like it -- it depends on background and what you're comfortable with.

wildbill2u
07-09-2006, 06:04 PM
It really doesn't matter except for free agents--and there aren't any that we want right now.

If some players are so used to urban ghettos that they can't see how San Antonio has lionized its players and adopted them into the community so that many many players choose to remain here after their playing days for the Spurs are over, we probably shouldn't sign them.

Obstructed_View
07-09-2006, 06:09 PM
I just heard on ESPN radio that the Lakers are terrible.

ChumpDumper
07-09-2006, 06:10 PM
This guy is actually an effective troll.

Kori Ellis
07-09-2006, 06:11 PM
Exactly the opposite is true.

According to a poll of NBA players, San Antonio is the team most want to play for.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42936&highlight=destination

Read it and weep.

ZStomp
07-09-2006, 06:23 PM

According to a poll of NBA players, San Antonio is the team most want to play for.

Read it and weep.

Kori Owns again. :tu

:lol

Big P
07-09-2006, 06:25 PM
Thanks Kori..I couldn't find the link

THE SIXTH MAN
07-09-2006, 06:25 PM
I trust what you heard on ESPN radio :
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1081740#post1081740
:clap :tu

LakerHater
07-09-2006, 06:49 PM
The NBA just polled alot of NBA players a few weeks ago & said the #1 place they would like to play is SA...who cares what some BSPN radio host said? Thread closed!!!

furry_spurry
07-09-2006, 07:07 PM
SA came in at #1 but that was still only with 13% of the vote. That tells you this one small group most wants to go to SA, but that does not relate specifically to what the rest think. I don't think that SA is seen as desirable by players as it once was. I use the examples of Rasho and Nazr. Rasho, who has a reputation for being too nice and too selfless of a teammate, was not particularly happy here, and Nazr was by all reports glad to be gone. When you have two guys who have reputations like they do and their not being all that thrilled with their time here, it sends a message, especially to other centers, who watched them both sit during the play-offs.

TheSanityAnnex
07-09-2006, 07:12 PM

Read it and weep.Holy shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A whopping 19 out of 248 players polled wanted to play in San Antonio!!!!!!!

That is just down right fucking amazing.

Kori Ellis
07-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Holy shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A whopping 19 out of 248 players polled wanted to play in San Antonio!!!!!!!

That is just down right fucking amazing.

:lol 13% of 248 would be 32 players. And it's not amazing at all, however it's the opposite of what this troll thread starter is trying to say. Click on his name and read his other threads and you'll understand why we are busting his balls.

Tek_XX
07-09-2006, 07:51 PM
I'm thinking other reasons are factors for the reason we're not landing the free agents we want right now. Players that want to improve and have a chance to win a championship see SA as a place that can help them reach that. But there's definitly players that are in it for the money and don't want to come here and work on their defense.

violentkitten
07-09-2006, 07:56 PM
nobody wants to play here and theyve won 3 titles. works for me.

cherylsteele
07-09-2006, 08:33 PM
My guess is.....if it is actually true.....is that it is because now we have little money compared to other teams under our cap to spend.

It is all about the money it seems the vast majority of the time

furry_spurry
07-09-2006, 09:01 PM
FA's took less money to come here- like Brent and Rasho- and then they promptly became scapegoats and trade bait.

Thanks so much.

ChumpDumper
07-09-2006, 09:02 PM
Thanks for overachieving.

GrandeDavid
07-09-2006, 09:33 PM
I wish we knew the names of those 32 players!

Beer is Good
07-09-2006, 09:52 PM
You know what team players want to play for - the dead presidents team. They tend to gravitate to that.

THE SIXTH MAN
07-09-2006, 10:12 PM
When money talks people listen. Name another top tier team that has had FA's flocking to them. The Spurs aren't in need of "big named" free agents, we need some decent role players. A lot is being made of this off season which isn't even very attractive talent wise.

TheSanityAnnex
07-10-2006, 06:33 PM
:lol 13% of 248 would be 32 players. And it's not amazing at all, however it's the opposite of what this troll thread starter is trying to say. Click on his name and read his other threads and you'll understand why we are busting his balls.
I was never good at division in my head. Next time, before I talk shit, I'll definitely use a calculator.

RobinsontoDuncan
07-10-2006, 11:44 PM
I really dont think this guy is trolling, I think he was suprised to hear that, look at what he said about the championships.

People need to look at the content of posts, not the handle it came from.

Kori Ellis
07-10-2006, 11:46 PM
I really dont think this guy is trolling, I think he was suprised to hear that, look at what he said about the championships.

People need to look at the content of posts, not the handle it came from.

He was trolling. It's all he does. He was being sarcastic about SA being a beautiful place to live.

Slinkyman
07-10-2006, 11:50 PM
I think the key to that survey was that SA was the place they'd most want to play for for those 32 players, not that those 32 would want to play here. The reason the spurs haven't had any luck with free agents is because 100% of free agents want to get paid.

MajorMike
07-11-2006, 09:56 AM
I did not make this up if anyone heard the ESPN radio around 2:25PM you would've heard it.

Tell that to Horry, Barry, Bowen, Finley and Van Exel who ALL took less money to come here. Might also want to ask TiMVP, Parker and Manu who have all tested the free-agent waters and stayed.

Recently we have only lost Nazr, Speedy and SJax of players that were HERE and left. SJax was a mistake (IMO only), Speedy left to be a starter, but has proven he's a bench playerand will back that up this year in Atl, and (also IMO only) we let Nazr go. None of these guys are going to cost us a Ring (2 have been proven, 1 will soon be).

Stick that in your triangle zen pipe and smoke it; Phil would. 'Course there isn't much he won't smoke.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-11-2006, 02:12 PM
It's been like that for a long time.

Until the recent surge of the Horry's, Finleys and Nick Van Exel's deciding to come here we have always had a tough time bringing in talent. I'm sure it will be that way once TD leaves too.

mabber
07-11-2006, 03:44 PM
It's been like that for a long time.

Until the recent surge of the Horry's, Finleys and Nick Van Exel's deciding to come here we have always had a tough time bringing in talent. I'm sure it will be that way once TD leaves too.

I think it comes down to where a player is in his career. Veterans that have made a lot of money already and don't mind coming off the bench to have a chance at a title would prefer to play for a team like San Antonio or Miami. If you're a young player (free agent that has started elsewhere and not good enough to crack the Spurs lineup) then why would you want to go there? I really don't think it has to do with the city for the most part...but more to do with how good of chance is there to win a title and are you willing to play less & take less money (except Finley...he didn't need any money :lol ) to have that chance.

AdmiralMVP
07-11-2006, 05:20 PM

Well, I am certain it doesn't have the draw of say Miama, LA, or NY. It probably doesn't help, either, that the Spurs play in a smaller television market than many other teams.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-11-2006, 06:37 PM
I think it comes down to where a player is in his career. Veterans that have made a lot of money already and don't mind coming off the bench to have a chance at a title would prefer to play for a team like San Antonio or Miami. If you're a young player (free agent that has started elsewhere and not good enough to crack the Spurs lineup) then why would you want to go there? I really don't think it has to do with the city for the most part...but more to do with how good of chance is there to win a title and are you willing to play less & take less money (except Finley...he didn't need any money :lol ) to have that chance.

That's mostly true.

But I think the city plays a big part too. San Antonio just isn't that attractive to the young players in the league. Would type more but gtg to gym. :D peace