PDA

View Full Version : Trading For A Center

timvp
07-09-2006, 08:31 PM
The Spurs went after Joel Przybilla and Alonzo Mourning, but both decided to stay home. Now the Spurs still have to fill their hole in the middle. Free agency has some decent prospects headlined by Jackie Butler, Melvin Ely and Reggie Evans. However, with so few centers available, the price for the remaining bigs will most likely be inflated.

The other option is for the Spurs to trade for a starting center. Brent Barry, Fabricio Oberto, Beno Udrih, Eric Williams and the rights to Luis Scola would be the main assets the Spurs would use. Here are some trade scenarios the Spurs may look at.

Jeff Foster for Brent Barry -- Foster is a San Antonio native who can really rebound the ball. His hustle at the center position would be a nice fit for the Spurs.

Chris Mihm + Filler for Brent Barry -- Mihm is another name San Antonio knows well. He's in the final year of his contract and with the signing of Vladimir Radmanovic and the emergence of Kwame Brown, Mihm could be the odd man out.

Jamaal Magloire for Brent Barry and Fabricio Oberto -- Magloire is on the trade blocks because the Bucks want to put Andrew Bogut at center. Magloire, a former all-star, would fill the center position nicely.

Brendan Haywood for Brent Barry -- Wizards' coach Eddie Jordan lost confidence with Haywood at times last season. Haywood would be a big body in the middle with decent touch around the basket.

Stromile Swift for Brent Barry -- Memphis will look to move Swift after they complete the transaction with the Rockets on July 12th. Swift is an outstanding athlete, but hasn't been able to put it together yet.

Brian Skinner for Brent Barry -- Skinner is a good athlete who the Spurs have gone after before. Injury concerns could be a problem.

Donyell Marshall for Brent Barry -- The Spurs have gone on record as saying they like Marshall but after struggling last season, Marshall might not be worth his contract at this point.

Jake Tsakalidis for Fabricio Oberto -- Tsakalikis hadn't done much in his NBA career until the end of last season. After a good couple months, the Spurs may see if he's available.

Steven Hunter for Fabricio Oberto + Filler -- Hunter is a very good athlete who is still young and learning the game.

Tony Battie for Brent Barry + Filler -- Battie is a solid big in the NBA, but his salary may be too large for the Spurs to take on.

Samuel Dalembert for Brent Barry and Eric Williams -- Talking about large salaries, Dalembert has a gigantic contract that the Sixers would like to get rid of. While still having potential, it's doubtful the Spurs would want that contract.

Kurt Thomas for Brent Barry and Fabricio Oberto -- The chances aren't high that the Suns and the Spurs trade with each other.

Marc Jackson for Brent Barry -- There is even less of a chance that Jackson could play the type of defense the Spurs would need.

Quadzilla99
07-09-2006, 08:33 PM
I would like Foster but I think it would take more than Barry to get him.

ChumpDumper
07-09-2006, 08:33 PM
Jackson and Skinner look doable for what that's worth.

timvp
07-09-2006, 08:34 PM
Jackson and Skinner look doable for what that's worth.

What do you think about Jackson?

I like his midrange jumper.

But he sucks at pretty much everything else.

violentkitten
07-09-2006, 08:35 PM
donyell marshall come on down

ChumpDumper
07-09-2006, 08:36 PM
Yeah, I'd rather have Skinner. Jackson will never block a shot and I'm not sure he could rotate effectively on D.

timvp
07-09-2006, 08:40 PM
donyell marshall come on down

Marshall's ability to shoot threes, rebound and block shots make him a pretty good option for the Spurs. Three years left on his contract, so it's shouldn't effect 2010-11 or whatever.

Last year in the regular season he wasn't too good but he hit some big shots in the playoffs.

CavsFan89
07-09-2006, 08:52 PM
The Cavs wont trade him....maybe Damon Jones....

CavsFan89
07-09-2006, 08:53 PM
Also Yell isnt a Center.

kris
07-09-2006, 08:56 PM
Marc Jackson can rebound but he's about as unathletic as they come. He'd be virtually useless against the Mavs. Donyell Marshall's age keeps going up while his playing ability goes down. I don't think he would be very good at the C position anyway.

One option I find intriguing is Dalembert. Yes, he's drastically over paid, but he can do pretty much everything the Spurs need and does it well. I don't really know how good he's played since getting his contract - he may have called it a career, but if not this guy is the Spurs best bet for the present and future.

PROS

young, blocks shots, great athleticism, can finish, room for improvement, true center

CONS

huge ass contract

I think Spurs could make him worth his contract.

Kori Ellis
07-09-2006, 08:58 PM
I don't think it matters if the Spurs get a power forward or a center, as long as they can play next to Duncan.

Of this list, I wouldn't mind Foster or Haywood.

If we are being risky and just grabbing some young players to see how they'll pan out here, I'd do the Stromile Swift deal (yes, I know he's an idiot) and also the Steven Hunter deal.

clubalien
07-09-2006, 08:59 PM
The best option I think is moving Timmy to center and pulling the trade off for the power forward KG. Manu isn't getting any younger and he could get hurt. Sure he is a great emotional player and sa fans might not love it, but with KG here I think most would say it was worth the trade. Tony is still an allstar guard so you have enough around tim and KG to win. Just makes the most since to me.

METALMiKE
07-09-2006, 08:59 PM
Foster,Mihm,Haywood,Swift :tu
others, maybe...

ChumpDumper
07-09-2006, 09:00 PM
You need to add "Beat out by Steven Hunter" to his CON list.

jaffies
07-09-2006, 09:01 PM
Fabulous Fabricio + filler *for* Steven Hunter

or

Fabulous Fabricio *for* Fabulous ....yeah...the rapper

Manu20
07-09-2006, 09:11 PM
Steven Hunter :tu

tsb2000
07-09-2006, 10:38 PM
Hunter can run like a gazelle- he used to play in Phx for D'Antoni. I'd take him in a second. He's a great athlete and can block shots.

Either that, or Holt and RC need to nut up and make a real offer for Magloire.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-09-2006, 10:43 PM
If we're talking trade, we also need to look at Seattle. They've got like
10 centers on their roster right now.

Put me down for a deal that could get us Petro in return.

Mr. Body
07-09-2006, 10:45 PM
The centers of the near future for Seattle are Petro and Swift. They'll either trade Saer Sene or leave him overseas for a while. Maybe both.

baseline bum
07-09-2006, 10:48 PM
My choices:

1. Foster
2. Magloire
3. Swift
4. Bitch-ass soft Euro

timvp
07-09-2006, 10:54 PM
The centers of the near future for Seattle are Petro and Swift. They'll either trade Saer Sene or leave him overseas for a while. Maybe both.

Negative.

Sene is playing for Seattle this year and the coaches love him. If they make a trade, it'll be Swift or Petro.

Mr. Body
07-09-2006, 10:59 PM
Jesus, really? Sene doesn't look anywhere near ready.

Kori Ellis
07-09-2006, 11:07 PM
Jesus, really? Sene doesn't look anywhere near ready.

They are signing him on the 12th, the deal is already in place. They plan on getting him 10+mpg this season.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-09-2006, 11:09 PM
One of my buddies that lives up in Seattle says that on the news they have talked about Petro being available for the right price.

Mr. Body
07-09-2006, 11:09 PM
Then that's the case. If anyone, the Sonics would trade Swift of their young centers. They like Petro, who seems more like the new model center.

Kori Ellis
07-09-2006, 11:11 PM
Then that's the case. If anyone, the Sonics would trade Swift of their young centers. They like Petro, who seems more like the new model center.

They might be using Petro more at PF. But yeah I think they'll have to move one of Swift/Petro combo.

timvp
07-09-2006, 11:12 PM
Petro and Swift are both good prospects but they aren't good enough yet to start at center for the Spurs. For next season, even a place holder like Jarron Collins is a better option.

If you get one of those two, you'd stash him as a 11th or 12th man and hope they're ready in a couple seasons.

Kori Ellis
07-09-2006, 11:14 PM
One of my buddies that lives up in Seattle says that on the news they have talked about Petro being available for the right price.

That's true. They are considering any trade possibilities of any combo of Fortson, Swift, Petro, Lewis, Ridnour, Wilkins, Collison. So in other words, pretty much anyone is available for the right price

leemajors
07-09-2006, 11:19 PM
That's true. They are considering any trade possibilities of any combo of Fortson, Swift, Petro, Lewis, Ridnour, Wilkins, Collison. So in other words, pretty much anyone is available for the right price

collison is good, but i don't think he's good enough on defense.

Nbadan
07-10-2006, 12:22 AM
I don't think Indiana would trade Foster for just Barry either, but I do think Mihm is the odd man out and is probably available. That said, of those deals, the Spurs would likely seek the Tsakalidis deal, but I don't know how much real interest there would be for Oberto. I also noticed that you didn't list Robert Horry as a possible trade candidate. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Spurs dangling both Horry and Oberto for a big man with size that can slow down Shaq and Yao in the middle. Horry's low contract could add some enticement for the right team.

timvp
07-10-2006, 12:23 AM
I don't think Indiana would trade Foster for just Barry either, but I do think Mihm is the odd man out and is probably available. That said, of those deals, the Spurs would likely seek the Tsakalidis deal, but I don't know how much real interest there would be for Oberto.

Remember that when Oberto signed with the Spurs last summer, he turned down a higher offer from the Grizzlies.

So who knows.

johngateswhiteley
07-10-2006, 12:24 AM
i think Foster would be the best option. the guy would be outstanding on the Spurs...alas i don't see indiana trading him. maybe scola and barry....maybe.

Beer is Good
07-10-2006, 12:36 AM
I think at this point the Spurs need to find someone serviceable that is cheap just to eat minutes, then start looking next spring for teams that are completely out of it and that are looking to unload big men. I think that's the best chance this team will find someone they really like and need. Don't want to spend all of your FA money in July. That's how Rasho's get paid, and we don't want that shit happening again.

Nbadan
07-10-2006, 01:17 AM
Remember that when Oberto signed with the Spurs last summer, he turned down a higher offer from the Grizzlies.

So who knows.

Yeah, but Oberto didn't show much in the few minutes he got. Still, neither has Tsakalidis. Besides he's on his last year of his contract, but so is Eddie Jones, so the Grizz could have lots of money to spend on a big-man with potential. Maybe even enough to spend on Scola.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-10-2006, 02:49 AM
Steven Hunter would be great! Can you imagine Hunter and Javtokas just tear-arsing around the court swatting shots and hassling the hell out of people? Two big guys who can really move.

Mihm wouldn't be bad - he has an all-round game.

Hell, I'd swing the trade for Dalembert except that he showed his stripes last year, so forget that.

Foster for cheap is a maybe, but I'd rather see us develop some youth, and he gets injured a lot.

The rest are too old, too slow, or don't fit our need (shot blocking, rebounding)

intlspurshk
07-10-2006, 03:57 AM
If anyone think B Barry can be traded for any big that listed, then he is even worse than the new coach of NY.

Bruno
07-10-2006, 04:46 AM
I like : Foster, Haywood, Swift, Skinner, Hunter but there are too other solutions I like (Troy Murphy, Al Harrington...)

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-10-2006, 06:51 AM
Murphy's a terrible defender with a big contract and Harrington will get at least 8mil a year... we can only dream about the latter, and the former would be a mistake methinks (hell, want another outside shooting 4, let's give KVH a vet minimum contract! :lol ).