PDA

View Full Version : Marbury Exstatic Brown is gone-NY Times

Quadzilla99
07-10-2006, 02:11 AM
Marbury all but asks Thomas to marry him in this love letter. From the New York Times there is a link below but you must register to read it, takes about 2 minutes.

By HOWARD BECK
Published: July 10, 2006
LAS VEGAS, July 8 — Stephon Marbury is happy. Very, very happy. Over-the-top, up-with-people, puppies-and-butterflies kind of happy.

The brooding, sour expression, worn so long it appeared permanently chiseled into Marbury's mug, is gone, replaced by sunny optimism and a full display of incisors, canines and molars.

"They couldn't surgically take the smile off my face," Marbury chirped late Saturday night.

This striking new look is not the result of a face-lift, but of a coaching transplant.

Larry Brown, Marbury's greatest tormentor, is gone. Isiah Thomas, Marbury's greatest advocate, is now presiding over the Knicks.

Little wonder, then, that the smile never drooped one centimeter for the 15 minutes that Marbury spoke with New York reporters attending a Knicks summer-league game at Cox Pavilion.

Marbury came to show his support for his young teammates and for Thomas. It would be reasonable to assume that he was beaming so brightly — gloating, even — over Brown's dismissal. But Marbury insisted that his glee had little to do with Brown and everything to do with Thomas.

"I'm talking about Isiah being the coach," said Marbury, who has been close to Thomas, who also is the team president, since Thomas acquired him from Phoenix in January 2004. "I wanted him to be the coach before all of this. I used to beg him, 'Why don't you coach? Why don't you coach?' Because I know that he knows how to coach. I've seen him coach."

Thomas had coached the Indiana Pacers for three years before assuming control of the Knicks. But Marbury said Thomas's response was always the same: "I can't help you down there."

That changed last month when James L. Dolan, the Madison Square Garden chairman, fired Brown and ordered Thomas to coach the team. Now Thomas is operating on a one-year ultimatum, with his employment at stake.

Now it is Marbury, Steve Francis and Eddy Curry who will determine how long Thomas remains with the Knicks.

"I've got one thing to say to that: We make love to pressure," Marbury said.

That curious bit of imagery was accompanied by several equally creative ways of avoiding any direct shots at Brown.

The two feuded so ferociously last season that a divorce seemed inevitable.

Indeed, during the final weeks of the Knicks' 23-59 season, Marbury sounded oddly upbeat, as if he were sure that Brown would be fired two months before it actually happened.

Yet in his first public comments since Brown's demise, Marbury refused to criticize him. There was no such restraint in March, when Brown and Marbury spent a week trading shots through the news media.

"I'm a man now; the times that I fired, I wasn't being a man," Marbury said. "I don't have any of those thoughts in my mind anymore. Those thoughts are gone. I wish him the best."

Brown's poor one-on-one communication with players — and his public swipes at them — caused an irreparable rift with most of them. He also used an N.B.A.-record 42 starting lineups. That was the only area Marbury directly addressed.

"It's kind of like when you put white clothes and yellow clothes and blue clothes and all of them different type clothes together when you're supposed to wash them separately," he said. "When the white clothes came out, you were like, 'Why did I do that? That was a mistake.' "

Marbury said Knicks players were not so much welcoming the coaching change as "welcoming wins."

"I think everything was under strain at the end of the year," he said. "This year, we'll have a different togetherness."

Thomas has said he will use a consistent 9- or 10-man rotation. Marbury also looks forward to starting alongside Francis in what he called "a devastating backcourt" — if the two guards can strike a balance in controlling the offense.

Although Thomas has played down their close relationship, Marbury called Thomas a "father figure" and said their bond would help communication on the court.

"With Isiah, being that I understand what he likes and what he wants and what he doesn't want you to do on a basketball court, it's a lot easier for me," Marbury said. He also said he trusted that Thomas, unlike Brown, would keep his critiques private. In declining to talk much about Brown, Marbury seemed to be doing the same.

"This is the last conversation about this," he said. "And after this, there's no more about last year, because last year is history."

For now, at least, so is Marbury's infamous sour expression.

"People ask me, 'Why don't you ever smile?' I say, 'Because I never was happy,' " Marbury said. "When you're losing, it's not fun. When you win, you all see me, right? I'm screaming, I've got the ball in my hand, they're showing me on the back page smiling."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/10/sports/basketball/10knicks.html?_r=1

Lebowski Brickowski
07-10-2006, 09:34 AM
Hasn't won jack diddly yet. I'll be laughing hysterically when marbury starts being a whiny loser again.

JamStone
07-10-2006, 09:38 AM
Hasn't won jack diddly yet. I'll be laughing hysterically when marbury starts being a whiny loser again.

Fucking Marbury's. Nothing changes.

NBA Junkie
07-10-2006, 10:24 AM
Idiot should of stayed in Minnesota where he was in the best situation of his career. Him and KG could have been something great.

JamStone
07-10-2006, 10:30 AM
Kevin Garnett would have gotten worse playing with Stephon Marbury for much longer.

1Parker1
07-10-2006, 10:34 AM
"I've got one thing to say to that: We make love to pressure," Marbury said

:lmao

"People ask me, 'Why don't you ever smile?' I say, 'Because I never was happy,' " Marbury said. "When you're losing, it's not fun. When you win, you all see me, right? I'm screaming, I've got the ball in my hand, they're showing me on the back page smiling."

:lol Someone needs to tell Starbury that he's been "losing" for quite a few years now...last season wasn't just an anomaly. Whatever team he's been playing for has been on the losing side for quite a few seasons now.

DirkAB
07-10-2006, 12:00 PM
In other news, water is wet.

RON ARTEST
07-10-2006, 01:41 PM
didnt this idiot just say a few weeks ago that he didnt have a problem with larry being the coach? what a fucking idiot.

SpurForLife
07-10-2006, 02:13 PM
"I've got one thing to say to that: We make love to pressure," Marbury said.

:lol

That cracked me up too. Only thing I can say is that Stephon and co. better have plently of energy for this upcoming season and get all the sleep they can so they can engage in a lot of extracurricular activities :spin

E20
07-10-2006, 02:55 PM
I feel his excitement.
http://www.goknicks.net/media/suns/gm4_marbury_screams.jpg

1Parker1
07-10-2006, 03:30 PM
:lol Funny pic

jacobdrj
07-10-2006, 04:03 PM
Idiot should of stayed in Minnesota where he was in the best situation of his career. Him and KG could have been something great.
Not really. After seeing what he did after he left, it is pretty obveous he just would have dragged KG down further than he already is right now. :elephant

jacobdrj
07-10-2006, 04:06 PM
didnt this idiot just say a few weeks ago that he didnt have a problem with larry being the coach? what a fucking idiot.
I don't mean to be rude, but have you ever been employed professionally? There is certain etiquette you follow towards superiors and guys who signs the checks. Even if you are right, and they are wrong...
What was he SUPPOSED to say? If Larry is gonna be your CO, and you are both under guaranteed contracts, you need to make nice while you are both there (if possible) at least until one leaves/gets fired.

RON ARTEST
07-10-2006, 04:11 PM
I don't mean to be rude, but have you ever been employed professionally? There is certain etiquette you follow towards superiors and guys who signs the checks. Even if you are right, and they are wrong...
What was he SUPPOSED to say? If Larry is gonna be your CO, and you are both under guaranteed contracts, you need to make nice while you are both there (if possible) at least until one leaves/gets fired.
thats not the point i was making, he shouldnt be saying how happy he is that larry is gone because it makes him look like an immature dumbass.

NBA Junkie
07-11-2006, 09:45 AM
Not really. After seeing what he did after he left, it is pretty obveous he just would have dragged KG down further than he already is right now. :elephant

I don't think so. Marbury and Garnett clicked as teammates during his two-and-a-half season tenure in Minnesota. The record didn't look great (97-85), but you gotta remember that these were two young players with little experience. I saw gradual improvement and it looked as though this duo looked like the next Stockton-Malone tandem this league would have seen. Heck, they nearly took out the Sonics in the 1st round of the 1998 playoffs before succumbing in five games. Unfortunately, Marbury's petty jealousy got the better of him and he couldn't handle the fact that he would be playing second banana to Garnett in terms of notoriety in the eyes of Minnesota fans and those who followed the NBA outside of this area. Because of this, he forced the Wolves to trade him in March of 1999 or the team would have lost him to free agency without getting compensation in return. Don't believe the crap he gave the media about wanting to play closer to home. This was the real reason he wanted out of Minny.

The Wolves did enjoy a few successful seasons after Marbury left, but I never saw them as a legitimate NBA contender. Marbury's replacement, Terrell Brandon was a solid PG, but was notorious for never getting his teams past the 1st round of the playoffs. Not only did he fail in Minnesota, but also during his stints in Cleveland and Milwaukee.

I understand the NBA fans belief of Marbury dragging Garnett down in Minnesota. I also understand that this belief is based on 20/20 hindsight due to his track record over the past seven seasons. I think you had to be a close observer of the Timberwolves to know that Marbury was good for Garnett and vice versa as neither have really had that second superstar that could compliment the others game. Marbury never achieved success due to his attitude and Garnett, because his salary was so large, made it impossible for the Wolves to get that second player that could help him succeed.

As it is, Marbury got exactly what he wanted ( being a teams #1 option) and got exactly what he deserved. As a Wolves fan who saw tons of potential when these two played together, I can't help but wonder what might have been.