PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Rice going to Seattle

pooh
10-18-2004, 09:27 PM
According to ESPNews ticker. The Raiders agreed to send Rice to Seattle.

IcemanCometh
10-18-2004, 09:29 PM
old news fartknocker

pooh
10-18-2004, 09:36 PM
Whatever...it's not posted on here so bite me.

IcemanCometh
10-18-2004, 09:38 PM
yes it is dicklicker

Duff McCartney
10-18-2004, 09:40 PM
Jerry Rice...what a fall from grace he has taken.....don't think he'll do much in Seattle either.

PeterBurns
10-19-2004, 09:39 AM
Disagree.

Koren Robinson can not catch a pass. (Don't let that 150 yds fool you)
He should have had 200+.

Darrell Jackson has struggled also with his hands.

Rice will play. He is brought in for more leadership than anything, but look for him and Hassleback to hook up. Rice wants to prove that he can still catch in the league.

ducks
10-19-2004, 10:04 AM
for a conditonal 7 round draft pick I would do it to

ducks
10-19-2004, 10:05 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-raiders-rice&prov=ap&type=lgns

Rice will get fresh start with Seahawks
By JANIE McCAULEY, AP Sports Writer
October 19, 2004

Photo
AP - Oct 19, 1:14 am EDT
More Photos
ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) -- Jerry Rice is leaving the Bay Area, where he quickly developed into the greatest receiver in NFL history with a relentless work ethic that still defines him today.

Disgruntled for weeks at a lack of playing time for the struggling Oakland Raiders, Rice got his wish Monday when they traded him to a contender: the Seattle Seahawks. The move reunites him with Seattle coach Mike Holmgren, Rice's former offensive coordinator in San Francisco.

The trade will be finalized after Rice undergoes a physical and the league gives its approval. An NFL source, speaking to The AP on the condition of anonymity, said the Raiders expected to receive a conditional seventh-round draft pick in return for Rice but the final details were still being worked out between the teams.

The Seahawks, who had not made any announcement Monday night, will owe Rice the remainder of his $1.35 million base salary this season.

The 42-year-old Rice, in his 20th NFL season, said goodbye to his teammates Monday, even signing autographs for some before leaving. A trophy and his belongings remained in his locker.

``Yeah, we knew,'' fullback Zack Crockett, one of Rice's longtime friends, told The AP in a phone interview. ``Right now, everything is so fresh. This is a real sad day. You lose a lot of close friends as well. We'll definitely miss him.''

In one dramatic day, the last of the Oakland's old guard was swept away. Earlier, injured quarterback Rich Gannon announced he won't return to the field for the Raiders this season because of a broken vertebra in his neck.

ADVERTISEMENT
Gannon acknowledged that with longtime receiver Tim Brown already gone and Rice virtually out the door -- and his own football future uncertain -- this could mark the end of a special era for the Silver and Black.

``You could look at it that way,'' Gannon said. ``Obviously, when you hire a new coach there are some changes. I want to think of it as a beginning of an era.''

Rice asked last week to be traded before Tuesday's deadline because he knew his role the rest of the season would continue to be minimal in new coach Norv Turner's offense. Earlier Monday, Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren said the team was looking into a possible deal.

``I would think it would give any team a boost, but really it's up to the Raiders,'' Holmgren said. ``It's really their call.''

Holmgren was Rice's offensive coordinator from 1989-91 with the 49ers, and Holmgren was San Francisco's quarterbacks coach starting in Rice's second season with the team in 1986.

Seattle was a logical destination for Rice because he knows Holmgren's offense and Seahawks could use some help at receiver.

Rice wanted to play for a team that will give him a greater role, and Holmgren has agreed to provide him with a fresh start. Rice has gone without a catch in three of five games this season, including Sunday's 31-3 loss to Denver when he didn't even get a pass thrown his way. His record receptions streak ended at 274 in Week 2 against Buffalo.

Rice seemed incredibly conflicted after Sunday's game, alternately talking in the past, present and future tenses about his three-plus seasons with the Raiders. He spoke about what he could do to help turn around Oakland's 2-4 start, but also expressed his appreciation for 20 years of support from Bay Area fans.

Photo
AP - Oct 19, 12:27 am EDT
More Photos
Rice realizes the Raiders are focused on developing their young receivers: Jerry Porter, Ronald Curry, Doug Gabriel and Alvis Whitted.

But Rice still believes he can be productive.

``They know each other, and Mike was interested in Jerry before he signed with the Raiders,'' Rice's agent, Jim Steiner, said Monday afternoon. ``He will know the offense if that's where he ends up, and he'll fit right in.''

Rice is the NFL's career leader in catches and touchdowns and the only receiver ever to play after age 40. He has only five receptions for 67 yards and no touchdowns this year. Last season, he led the Raiders in catches (63) and yards receiving (869).

He claimed the Raiders never told him to expect a diminished role, and he would embrace the chance to play elsewhere because he ``can't go out this way.'' He said earlier this year that this would be his last season, but backtracked later.

Rice left the Raiders' facility early Monday afternoon to handle family responsibilities.

``Nothing,'' Rice said of any developments. ``My day is done. I'm going home to take care of some kids.''

rameshbabu
10-19-2004, 12:31 PM
Dude needs to retire...right now, hes embarrassing himself and tarnishing his own legacy...

jalbre6
10-19-2004, 01:03 PM
I dunno if I agree with that or not. When you're the greatest player to ever play your position, you can leave whenever the hell you feel like it. Just because you and me think he's washed up doesn't mean that Jerry Rice thinks he's washed up. He's still better than the third or fourth options on most teams, and with the Seahawks, he'll get lots of PT. He caught 90+ balls at age forty, and sixty-something last year. He probably thinks he has enough left in the tank to help a contender, and that's exactly what he's doing.

rameshbabu
10-19-2004, 02:31 PM
^You are correct its his perogative to continue to play, no one is disputing that...I am aware of the fact that he can make moves in his career without obtaining mass approval..

However, if his total of 5 receptions, 67 yards for first five games is an indicator of his current playing level, he is best served to retire...As far as him being better than the 3rd or 4th option on most teams...Wow...that is great...he wont make Seattle any better of a team..Sadly, it appears this guy will keep playing until the day he gets taken off the field by a stretcher, sporting a neck brace...And he will probably attempt to comeback from it...again.

He's already got Superbowl rings, MVP's, money, fame and is in good health..But if he wants to keep his health, he needs to walk away.

samikeyp
10-20-2004, 10:09 AM
Class move by Largent. One of my all-time favorite players.

KIRKLAND - Number 80 is back for the Seahawks. Jerry Rice has worn #80 throughout his NFL career, and in an extraordinary move he will continue to do so with the Seahawks. Rice spoke with Steve Largent seeking permission to wear Largent's retired #80, and Largent gave his immediate approval.

"He just told me, ‘Jerry, if you want to wear the #80, you have my blessing'," said Rice at his press conference Tuesday. "When he said that it sent chills through my body, because I know what he has done for this city, and when you think about the Seattle Seahawks you think about Steve Largent. For him to just say that without any hesitation, that I could wear his jersey, that meant the world to me.” Jerry Rice press conference

Rice is in his 20th NFL season, and while he may be 42 in age, he says he doesn't feel a day over 28. What's his secret?

"I think it has a lot to do with my work ethic and my approach to the game, just the pride," says Rice. "I still enjoy what I do, during the off-season the way I sacrifice, the way I work hard, the way I prepare myself. Once the season starts I am in tip-top shape and I still believe I can run that 9-route and I can run by these young guys and catch that deep ball, I just haven’t had that many opportunities this year. I think you guys are going to see some good football and a lot of effort out there on the football field.” Career stats

Adding a veteran with such a great winning track record means a lot to a young team, and while Rice may be looked upon for leadership and as a role model, Mike Holmgren says Rice is on the Seahawks roster for one reason.

"We did this to make our football team better," said Holmgren at the press conference. "Any good lessons or role modeling that takes place, in my opinion, is secondary. Jerry came in here to catch passes, to help us win, and that’s his number-one job. I think if some of our guys are mature about it and smart about it they’ll kind of watch how he does stuff. But understand, that’s really not why we brought him in, I brought him in to help us win.”

pooh
10-20-2004, 02:44 PM
I would've told Rice...no. What would happen if Tom Brady got traded to Dallas and he says, I want number #12. You think Staubach will say "sure kid, take it." The fans here would lynch him. Just retire Jerry please, the fact that you're not getting the ball should be an indication to you that it's over.

samikeyp
10-20-2004, 03:45 PM
Actually if Roger gave his blessing, I think the fans would be ok with it. If the player raised a fuss about it and the team gave in, that would be different. Then I would have a problem with it...if it was ok with Roger, it would be ok with me. Besides, technically the Cowboys do not retire numbers.

pooh
10-20-2004, 04:04 PM
True, they technically don't retire numbers but #12 is kind of an "off-limits" one.

samikeyp
10-20-2004, 04:20 PM
I agree. I am sure we will never see 22 or 8 again either. I thought Dorsett would have been one of those too, but Nathan Jones wears 33 now. Hell, I remember the uproar when Emmitt got Bob Hayes' 22 and Irvin got Drew Pearson's 88. Irvin apparently gave his blessing to Bryant to wear 88 at the time. I remember when I was younger being pissed when I saw someone with Randy White's 54. He was my favorite Cowboy at the time.

pooh
10-20-2004, 04:31 PM
Yeah I don't think you'll see anyone get 8 or 22 again. Gotta remember, someone else had the number 22 in between Emmitt and Bob Hayes, so there wasn't that much of an uproar as it would be now.

There have been two famous 54's in Cowboys lore. Have you forgotten Chuck Howley? The only person ever to be named Super Bowl MVP from a losing squad?

Don't forget that Elvis "toast" Patterson wore #43 (Cliff Harris' old number)

samikeyp
10-20-2004, 04:48 PM
no I knew about Chuck Howley. That trivia question won me free stuff at a bar once. I remember Elvis. oy. Recently, I think Erik Bickerstaff was wearing 43. He is not on the team anymore though.

pooh
10-20-2004, 04:51 PM
Wasn't number 22 worn by Victor Scott before Emmitt?

samikeyp
10-20-2004, 04:56 PM
I don't think so...I think he was 25.

samikeyp
10-20-2004, 05:00 PM
I stand corrected...you are right....I went to dallascowboysfanclub.com they have rosters from back then.

pooh
10-20-2004, 05:01 PM
Paul Palmer was #26 right?

samikeyp
10-20-2004, 05:06 PM
yes

pooh
10-20-2004, 05:24 PM
Did you know that on the ring of honor at Texas Stadium there are two numbers that are up there that have two members each on it?

#54 Chuck Howley and Randy White
#43 Don Perkins and Cliff Harris

(Soon: #22 Emmitt Smith and Bob Hayes)

samikeyp
10-20-2004, 06:01 PM
yes I did.