PDA

View Full Version : FIBA World Championship 2006

Pages : [1] 2 3

waly.mg
07-10-2006, 10:38 AM
Here is another Summer League, the Real World Championship in 40 days and counting

http://www.fiba.com/pages/en/events/blockbusters/world_champ_men_06/World_Champ_Men.asp?RoundID=3507

Japan (Sapporo, Sendai, Hamamatsu, Hiroshima, Saitama)
19 August - 3 September 2006

Japan will be the host for the most important basketball event on the globe. It’s the first time that the country of the rising sun is hosting a championship of this magnitude.

The number of teams has been increased from 16 to 24. With this decision, FIBA reacted to the improved level of play on a global level and the fact that basketball is the most widespread indoor team sport around the world.

Most countries have qualified through the 5 continental championships in summer 2005, but 4 countries had received a wild card from FIBA.

For one team, there will be a special task: after the disappointing sixth place in Indianapolis, and a bronze medal at the 2004 Athens Olympics, the USA will try everything the regain the position as the dominating basketball power over the past 5 decades. But it needs their best to fulfill that mission….

FIBA World Championship - One World - One Title: Event Outline

The FIBA World Championship is played every 4 years and determines the best basketball nation of the world. The first World Championship was played in 1950 in Argentina and has since then been organised 14 times.

The 2006 edition will be played in Japan from 19th August until 3rd September in five different cities.

The following 24 teams will compete in the event:

Angola
Argentina
Australia
Brazil
China
France
Germany
Greece
Italy
Japan
Lebanon
Lithuania
New Zealand
Nigeria
Panama
Puerto Rico
Qatar
Senegal
Serbia & Montenegro
Slovenia
Spain
Turkey
Venezuela
USA

The teams will play against each other in the preliminary phase in four groups of 6 teams. The 4 top teams from each group will then qualify directly for the Eighth-Finals, Quarter-Finals, Semi-Finals and Finals.

All the games from the Eighth-Finals to the Finals will be played on a one-game elimination basis.

waly.mg
07-10-2006, 10:40 AM
News:

USA - Fitness concerns for Team USA's Redick

::WIN a trip to the FIBA World Championship Finals weekend ::

ORLANDO (FIBA World Championship) - JJ Redick's availability for the FIBA World Championship is in doubt after the Orlando Magic announced they will keep their first-round draft pick out of summer-league action.

The Orlando Sentinel reports the Magic are still concerned about a herniated disc suffered by the former Duke All-American selection a week before the draft, and will hold Redick out as a precaution.

Redick, who was the 11th overall pick by the Magic, was one of two then-college players selected in Team USA's 23-man provisional squad earlier this year.

Gonzaga's Adam Morrison - drafted by the Charlotte Bobcats - was the other.

Redick played for Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski at Duke.

waly.mg
07-10-2006, 10:48 AM
Other News

* NBA duo Nenad Krstic and Aleksandar Pavlovic will not play for Serbia & Montenegro at the FIBA World Championship, but coach Dragan Sakota insists his team remains in good shape ahead of the tournament.

* Emerging Spanish star Sergio Rodriguez is full of optimism ahead of the FIBA World Championship in Japan.

The 20-year-old, who was recently picked in the first round of the NBA draft and will play for Portland next season, is already preparing for his rookie season in the United States but on July 10 will link up with the national team.

* USA Basketball finalized its 2006 Men's Senior National Team pre-World Championship training schedule and announced it would train and play two exhibition games in Guangzhou, China, from Aug. 6-8, including a historic game versus China in China.

The USA will train in Guangzhou on Aug. 6, then take part in the 2006 China Basketball Challenge and play games against China on Aug. 7 and Brazil on Aug. 8.

* France coach Claude Bergeaud is backing the youthful exuberance of NBA stars Ronny Turiaf and Johan Petro to boost his side's chances at the FIBA World Championship in Japan.

Petro and Turiaf's inclusion in the France squad increases the number of NBA players to five after Mickael Pietrus (Golden State Warriors), Boris Diaw (Phoenix Suns) and San Antonio Spurs' star Tony Parker.

Petro, a Seattle SuperSonics center, has also made a good impression on the French boss who selected him ahead of Ian Mahinmi.

"He (Ian Mahinmi) did good things with the 'A' team but Turiaf and Petro are largely above him in terms of level," said Bergeaud.

"Ian needs to work harder before applying to the national team."

coz
07-10-2006, 10:49 AM
FIBA sucks

waly.mg
07-10-2006, 10:52 AM
Sucks since the USA don´t won the Championship since Sydney 2000

That´s Basketball, NBA is a Business

boutons_
07-10-2006, 10:53 AM
France seems to have a good squad, but it will be up to Tony to get results.
Tony was terrible in the Olympic qualifying a couple year ago, as France failed to qualify.

coz
07-10-2006, 11:16 AM
the FIBA refs suck.

the FIBA rules suck.

the FIBA anti-US bias sucks

and if you are under the impression that FIBA isn't big business, you suck.

angel_luv
07-10-2006, 11:23 AM
Whoosh! Go Slovenia. :D

Good luck to Argentina, Turkey, France, and Bruce.

furry_spurry
07-10-2006, 11:33 AM
France seems to have a good squad, but it will be up to Tony to get results.
Tony was terrible in the Olympic qualifying a couple year ago, as France failed to qualify.
Tony was unbelievably awful last summer in the EC!! Don't know what the deal was.

Did people gloss over this:
"He (Ian Mahinmi) did good things with the 'A' team but Turiaf and Petro are largely above him in terms of level," said Bergeaud.

Go Slovenia.
Good luck to Argentina, Turkey, France, and Bruce.
I'm confused. You wish good luck to the TEAMS that have players that have been Spurs- but then only to Bruce and not to the USA team?

velik_m
07-10-2006, 11:38 AM
I posted this some 2 weeks ago:

i saw this on FIBA website:

Every week FIBA World Basketball spectators and fiba.com users can participate in the FIBA World Basketball Competition Draw to have a chance to win fantastic FIBA prizes and to be included in the Grand Draw which will offer an all expenses paid trip for two to the Final days of the FIBA World Championship in Japan.

The Grand Draw will take place few weeks before the tip off of the FIBA World Championship. All participant will be informed by email.

more here (http://www.fiba.com/pages/en/fan/fiba_worl_bask/fan_zone_fiba_worl_bask_main.asp?an_id=601&pn_id=178&)
it may interest some people here.

angel_luv
07-10-2006, 01:27 PM
I'm confused. You wish good luck to the TEAMS that have players that have been Spurs- but then only to Bruce and not to the USA team?

The U.S. squad will likely be made up of people I dislike(Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett etc)- guys that I won't be rooting for then or ever.
How much I like/ support team USA will depend on their roster and whom they are playing against.

Bruce will always have my support. I hope at least he does really well.

As for the foreign teams, I like several of the players on each from previous competitions and have nothing against the rest. That is why I can root for the whole team.

Bruno
07-10-2006, 01:30 PM
Did people gloss over this:

Yes in another thread but in fact it's a bad translation from french. The french coach has just said that Mahinmi wasn't ready to play with the NT because he was too young and raw. He hasn't said that Mahinmi was lazy or not a hard worker.

furry_spurry
07-10-2006, 01:35 PM
^Thanks for the clarification.

velik_m
07-10-2006, 02:45 PM
The U.S. squad will likely be made up of people I dislike(Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett etc)- guys that I won't be rooting for then or ever.
How much I like/ support team USA will depend on their roster and whom they are playing against.

As for the foreign teams, I like several of the players on each from previous competitions and have nothing against the rest. That is why I can root for the whole team.

:td

you should support your national team. they represent you.

angel_luv
07-10-2006, 03:28 PM
:td

you should support your national team. they represent you.

Yea I knew I was going to get bad American points for that.

But it seems hypocritical to me to pretend to root for people whom I don't respect simply because they are in a tournament and live in the same place as me.

It is the same kind of silliness as someone saying I should vote for George Bush simply because he is a fellow Texan.

I root for the people I like regardless of geographical location.

furry_spurry
07-10-2006, 04:13 PM
I think, though, that if you knew about the international teams' players all that you know about the American players that you would find players to dislike on every team. People really are not all that different and all teams have some guys who are not "angels." You just don't know enough about them to know who they are.

The preliminary US roster has some good guys- like Bowen, Battier, Bosh, Dwight Howard, and Dwyane Wade. KG is not even playing.

2006-08 USA Basketball Men's Senior National Team Roster

Carmelo Anthony
Gilbert Arenas
Shane Battier
Chauncey Billups
Chris Bosh
Bruce Bowen
Elton Brand
Kobe Bryant
Dwight Howard
LeBron James
Antawn Jamison
Joe Johnson
Shawn Marion
Brad Miller
Adam Morrison
Lamar Odom
Chris Paul
Paul Pierce
Michael Redd
J.J. Redick
Luke Ridnour
Amare Stoudemire
Dwyane Wade

There are not many players on this list who would seem to be ones for which someone would have develpoed deep-seeded disrespect, and again I wonder how much you know about some of the other teams' players for you to have devleoped such respect for them.

angel_luv
07-10-2006, 04:21 PM
I think, though, that if you knew about the international teams' players all that you know about the American players that you would find players to dislike on every team. People really are not all that different and all teams have some guys who are not "angels." You just don't know enough about them to know who they are.

The preliminary US roster has some good guys- like Bowen, Battier, Bosh, Dwight Howard, and Dwyane Wade. KG is not even playing.

2006-08 USA Basketball Men's Senior National Team Roster

Carmelo Anthony
Gilbert Arenas
Shane Battier
Chauncey Billups
Chris Bosh
Bruce Bowen
Elton Brand
Kobe Bryant
Dwight Howard
LeBron James
Antawn Jamison
Joe Johnson
Shawn Marion
Brad Miller
Adam Morrison
Lamar Odom
Chris Paul
Paul Pierce
Michael Redd
J.J. Redick
Luke Ridnour
Amare Stoudemire
Dwyane Wade

Of course no team is perfect.

Thanks for the roster. The only one I wouldn't root for is Kobe. And I like the guys that are bolded.

My point, and I guess I did not express it well, is that to me sports is about preference. I want to see the people I like best out of everyone, regardless of nationality, finish the best.
That is the way I approach these tournaments.

Lady M
07-10-2006, 04:35 PM
Other News

Petro and Turiaf's inclusion in the France squad increases the number of NBA players to five after Mickael Pietrus (Golden State Warriors), Boris Diaw (Phoenix Suns) and San Antonio Spurs' star Tony Parker.

now with Gelabale who will play for Seattle i can say 6 :elephant

Pistons < Spurs
07-10-2006, 06:31 PM
go USA!

spurschick
07-10-2006, 06:59 PM
After going to the U18 tournament, I'm really excited for the WCs. I just really miss good basketball. :depressed Now that the World Cup is over, there isn't much to watch in terms of sports. That's IMO of course... I'm not a big baseball fan.

spurschick
07-23-2006, 06:14 PM
Nothing new, but an update from the FIBA site.

ARG - Argentina begins preparing for 2006 FIBA World Championship
7/23/2006

BUENOS AIRES - Led by Emanuel Ginobili and Luis Scola, the Argentinean National team will begin preparations today for the 2006 FIBA World Championship that begins on August 19.

The 15 players called are: Juan Ignacio Sánchez, Daniel Farabello and Pablo Prigioni (PG), Carlos Delfino, Emmanuel Ginóbili and Paolo Quinteros (SG), Walter Herrmann, Hernán Jasen and Andrés Nocioni (SF) and Rubén Wolkowyski, Fabricio Oberto, Leonardo Gutiérrez, Luis Scola, Gabriel Fernández and Juan Gutiérrez (C).

Sergio Hernandez will be the coach and assisted by Gonzalo Garcia and Enrique Tolcachier.

"The start of the trials will generate expectations and for this tournaments the expectations will be big because of the past results. We will prepare with the highest intensity, with attention to detail and convinced of the challenge that lays ahead. Most of the players are rested but eager to begin the trials", said Hernandez.

Argentina will start the trials in Mar del Plata and then they will move to Santa Fe for the Super 4 tournament along with Brazil, New Zealand and Venezuela from July 30-31. Then they will travel to Spain on August 3 where they take on Lithuania two days later and wait for the result of the Spain-Poland game.

Then they will fly to Singapore to take on Serbia and Montenegro, Slovenia and Spain from August 11-13.

http://www.fibaamericas.com/noticiasread_us.asp?r=FGPQDTMYIX

Spurologist
07-23-2006, 06:31 PM

Quoi???

Repetez en Anglais s'il vous plait.

I'm sensing it's either because of youth or player preference.

Sway
07-23-2006, 07:19 PM

:td :td

That’s not cool at all. I’ve always thought it weird how in the US many fans are more loyal to individual players over their supposed teams. This loyalty towards players instead of the team is totally misguided. The national team represents the USA. You should support your team regardless of who is on the squad.

renu
07-24-2006, 05:08 AM
Of course no team is perfect.

Thanks for the roster. The only one I wouldn't root for is Kobe. And I like the guys that are bolded.

My point, and I guess I did not express it well, is that to me sports is about preference. I want to see the people I like best out of everyone, regardless of nationality, finish the best.
That is the way I approach these tournaments.

:elephant Yeah tell 'em angel

I wonder how many Argentinians would cheer for their team if Manu wasn't playing (because of the coach's decision for instance). Rooting for your national team just because they represent your country?? This is a battle lost from the start.. If you don't feel "YOUR" team is on the court then how can you cheer at all??

angel_luv
07-24-2006, 05:56 AM
:elephant Yeah tell 'em angel

I wonder how many Argentinians would cheer for their team if Manu wasn't playing (because of the coach's decision for instance). Rooting for your national team just because they represent your country?? This is a battle lost from the start.. If you don't feel "YOUR" team is on the court then how can you cheer at all??

About that particular opinion... it is a work in progress. I have been thinking about what everyone has said and it's occured to me that maybe I am not as patriotic as I could (should?) be.

I guess I never equated patrioism with sports, which is kind of dumb considering how proud all my favorites are to play for their national team.

Regarding my other posts in this thread:
While I was being honest, I think I overcompensated in my effort to outwardly support my favorites and ended up being unecessarily callous about Team USA.
I'm trying to be nicer about team USA. I may want other people to win more, but I appreciate the fact that all the American guys have dreams and are working hard.

You should support your team regardless of who is on the squad.

I have rooted for people before organizations. I am not arguing that it is right, just stating the way I am.
Like I said, my opinions are (as always) a work in progress.

Obstructed_View
07-24-2006, 06:17 AM
:td :td

That’s not cool at all. I’ve always thought it weird how in the US many fans are more loyal to individual players over their supposed teams. This loyalty towards players instead of the team is totally misguided. The national team represents the USA. You should support your team regardless of who is on the squad.
Some Americans have an attitude of disliking the spoiled athletes on the team when the US isn't a lock to win so that they can freely criticize them should they happen to lose. We seem to think that we should never lose a basketball game under any circumstances. I'm not thrilled with the idea of sending professionals to compete in international competitions, but I will root for the US team if they put Ted Kennedy and Paris Hilton on it.

And oh yeah: FIBA sucks.

austinfan
07-24-2006, 06:28 AM
I like to root for teams when I have an emotional connection to the team (i.e. a Spur is playing and I happen to like that particular Spur), or when a team is playing its ass off and not taking any win for granted.

I'm certainly not against the US team, and from all the reports it looks like they're taking this tournament a lot more seriously than before, but I want them to show up and play like they really want it. Not just be on the court because they somehow got pressured into playing.

angel_luv
07-24-2006, 06:47 AM
I will root for the US team if they put Ted Kennedy and Paris Hilton on it.

So, it doesn't matter to you who is on the team?

And do you think it should?

Obstructed_View
07-24-2006, 11:36 AM

And do you think it should?
I'd have been just as happy rooting for college players that come in fourth and are happy to be there. Who is on the team matters to me because I'm a basketball fan who thinks he knows more about basketball than the people selecting the last half dozen international squads. It does not, however, change the amount that I root for the US team one scintilla. The view probably comes across harsher than I intend, and it wasn't directed towards anyone specifically. Although my best friend called me after the olympics to tell me what a spoiled piece of shit Tim Duncan was for not staying in the olympic village. I'm sure that call would not have happened if the USA had won the gold medal.

angel_luv
07-24-2006, 11:55 AM
I'd have been just as happy rooting for college players that come in fourth and are happy to be there. Who is on the team matters to me because I'm a basketball fan who thinks he knows more about basketball than the people selecting the last half dozen international squads. It does not, however, change the amount that I root for the US team one scintilla. The view probably comes across harsher than I intend, and it wasn't directed towards anyone specifically. Although my best friend called me after the olympics to tell me what a spoiled piece of shit Tim Duncan was for not staying in the olympic village. I'm sure that call would not have happened if the USA had won the gold medal.

That makes sense to me.

I am just curious to learn other people's persepctive because I think it helps improve my own.
So thanks. :)

spurschick
07-24-2006, 08:27 PM
Preliminary Round Team USA TV Schedule on ESPN2

Either set the VCRs, DVRs or get up reeeeaaaaallly early.

Saturday, August 19
12:00 am EST
USA vs. Puerto Rico

Sunday, August 20
5:30 am EST
USA vs. China

Tuesday, August 22
USA vs. Slovenia

Wednesday, August 23
USA vs. Italy

Thursday, August 24
USA vs. Senegal

Kori Ellis
07-24-2006, 08:35 PM
Perfect for us, we won't be asleep yet :spin

MannyIsGod
07-24-2006, 08:40 PM
Perfect for me, I won't be asleep yet :spin

spurschick
07-24-2006, 08:54 PM

:lol No doubt.

I'll be setting the coffeepot timer a bit early to get up for work.

Solid D
07-24-2006, 08:56 PM
:lol No doubt.

I'll be setting the coffeepot timer a bit early to get up for work.

:coffee :wakeup

spurschick
07-24-2006, 08:58 PM
:coffee :wakeup

It'll be interesting to see how many post in the game blog thread.

furry_spurry
07-25-2006, 08:52 AM
Tuesday, August 22
USA vs. Slovenia

:)

furry_spurry
07-25-2006, 09:02 AM

I am someone who roots FOR people and FOR teams- as opposed to AGAINST anyone. I chose the word "people" and not players on purpose. There are people whom I support and whom I hope to see do well and be happy; therefore, I root for them and subsequently for their team's success- no matter what team they are on at the time. I think that is what you are talking about- you root for the team because of a particular person who is on it. Also, there are team "entities" for which I root because of their "existence" no matter who is on them- like a national team- or my alma mater.

SpursWillOwn
07-25-2006, 09:19 AM
FIBA sucks

boutons_
07-25-2006, 11:22 AM
July 25, 2006
Sports of The Times

Krzyzewski Is Putting His Reputation on the Line

By WILLIAM C. RHODEN

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/07/25/sports/25rhoden_600x319.jpg

MIKE KRZYZEWSKI climbed into the USA Basketball team bus Sunday afternoon after another practice. Krzyzewski, the coach of the men’s national team, liked what he had seen. “The first five days have been really good,” he said during a telephone interview.

Tryouts for the team that will compete next month in the world basketball championship in Japan began last week in Las Vegas with a combination of megastars — Dwyane Wade, LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony — and salt-of-the-earth stars like Bruce Bowen.

“These guys are professionals,” Krzyzewski said. “They’ve been tremendous in making the transition from being maybe the best player on their team to one of a lot of good players on this team.

“They’re all trying to fit in. There have been no ego problems; there have been no problems. They’ve shown already that they’re playing for the name on the front of the jersey, not the back. They’ve played and practiced like it’s an honor to be here. I’ve been pleased.”

The United States is attempting to find its place on a global competitive frontier that the National Basketball Association helped shape. This universe of basketball has proved to be far more challenging than ever imagined. In 2004, the United States earned an Olympic bronze medal, a failure to some. The call went out to get better shooters and better defenders. The reality is that many of the nation’s best players do not want to give up summers after having already played an eight-month N.B.A. season.

This year Shaquille O’Neal, Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett declined invitations. The idea of playing for the name on the front of the jersey and not the one on the back is all well and good, but when the names on the back are not O’Neal, Garnett and Duncan, the challenge becomes more steep for the United States. But beyond who is on the roster, the fall of the United States from basketball’s apex is an instructive lesson about complacency and what happens when greatness is taken for granted.

“You have to pay attention to the little things,” Krzyzewski said. “We have to treat everything with importance. Whereas before we didn’t have to do that, and we would still win. As a result of that, we were losing a little bit along the way.”

•For this coach, restoring what had been lost may be the greatest challenge yet to maintaining his reputation, which until this year had been largely unblemished. Krzyzewski drew criticism this spring for his early silence in the Duke lacrosse team scandal, which resulted in the indictment of three players on rape charges.

Nevertheless, the experience was a cautionary tale about diligence and coasting on a reputation. “What’s happened at Duke over the last few months has shown that even a great institution can get knocked back,” he said. “But my feeling is, how do we figure out how to get back, and we will.”

If the United States fails to win the world championship this summer and fails to bring home a gold medal from Beijing in 2008, Krzyzewski will take a bigger hit than he did during the lacrosse scandal.

In retrospect, Larry Brown’s undoing in New York began in 2004, when he coached the Olympic team to the bronze. Brown was castigated, largely after the fact, for refusing to give Wade and James consistent minutes. He publicly criticized Anthony for sulking and clashed throughout the tournament with Stephon Marbury. Brown’s golden touch had begun to dull.

Krzyzewski is putting his reputation on the line in a way he never has.

“But this is what we do,’’ he said. “By doing this, you keep your edge. As long as you’re coaching, you have to always think of getting better. As long as you’re playing, you’ve got to always think of getting better. As long as you’re doing what you’re supposed to be doing, you’ve got to think about getting better.

“You can’t just say, ‘I’m going to play it safe now.’ You’re continually looking for ways to get better.”

We will hear over and again for the next year and a half that Krzyzewski and the N.B.A. players are on a mission to reclaim lost ground. Krzyzewski’s theory — and the theory of USA Basketball — is that teamwork, not stars, wins the game.

In the current climate, the United States needs stars and teamwork as well as a coach who is flexible and secure enough to let stars shine in the context of a team.

“We still play the best basketball,” Krzyzewski said, “but remember we’re playing on their turf. They’re all away games, including being on a different court, with different rules, a different ball.

“If this was an N.B.A. game, we’d have a much greater chance of winning. Because it’s an international game, we still have a good chance to win — don’t get me wrong — but they have a better chance. We have to make the adjustments to play this game, right now. If we’re smart, we’ll make those adjustments.”

Adjustments that will lead not just to winning, but to “creating a new standard for our country and basketball.”

The world has changed, and regaining dominance is a taller task than most of us can imagine.

E-mail: [email protected]

rasho8
07-25-2006, 11:37 AM
Whats with the "attack angel" posts? So she isnt rooting for the USA... big freakin deal... you dont have to be a cowboys fan because you live in dallas... you dont have to root for the USA to win because you live here.

Her favorite player is Rasho... hence GO SLOVENIA!!!!

gospursgojas
07-25-2006, 12:58 PM

Either set the VCRs, DVRs or get up reeeeaaaaallly early.

Saturday, August 19
USA vs. Puerto Rico

Sunday, August 20
USA vs. China

Tuesday, August 22
USA vs. Slovenia

Wednesday, August 23
USA vs. Italy

Thursday, August 24
USA vs. Senegal

Cool I was wondering when a tv sched was going to be out

spurschick
07-25-2006, 07:28 PM
Here is some more info I got from the Head of Communications at FIBA regarding other games.

ESPN2 will cover all Team USA games live with select re-airs

FOX Sports Net will pick up an additional 10 games not aired on ESPN2

NBA-TV will simulcast the FSN games and then do additional stand alone games

NZHayden
07-25-2006, 08:31 PM
Go New Zealand!

Japan will be the host for the most important basketball event on the globe. It’s the first time that the country of the rising sun is hosting a championship of this magnitude.

what about the soccer world cup 8 years ago?

boutons_
07-25-2006, 08:52 PM
"Here is some more info I got ... "

Spurschick is a fricken bball fan, hey what!

smeagol
07-25-2006, 10:36 PM
Funny how for some, FIBA started sucking after the Sydney Olympics in 2000 (more specifically after Indiana 2002).

Spurs#20
07-26-2006, 12:14 AM
Does anybody know when Argentina will be on tv????

spurschick
07-26-2006, 08:24 AM
Does anybody know when Argentina will be on tv????

In the US or elsewhere? In the US, FSN and NBATV will have their exact schedule up closer to August 19.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-26-2006, 09:44 AM
The following 24 teams will compete in the event:

Angola
Argentina
Australia
Brazil
China
France
Germany
Greece
Italy
Japan
Lebanon
Lithuania
New Zealand
Nigeria
Panama
Puerto Rico
Qatar
Senegal
Serbia & Montenegro
Slovenia
Spain
Turkey
Venezuela
USA

People we will face:

Angola-Valter Monteiro(if anyone cares)
Argentina-Manu, Oberto, Scola, Nocioni, Delfino, Herrmann
Australia-Shane Heal (do y'all remember him?), Bogut
Brazil-Nene, Barbosa, Varejao
China-Yao
France-Tony, Diaw, Petro, Turiaf, Pietrus, Gelabale
Germany-Dirk
Greece-Spanoulis
Italy-The guys that whooped our ass in 04.
Japan-That Yuta Tabuse guy.
Lebanon-???
Lithuania-Macijauskas, Javtokas, Songaila, Kleiza
New Zealand-Marks
Nigeria-???
Panama-???
Puerto Rico-Arroyo, John Ramos
Qatar-??? I didn't know such a country existed.
Senegal-Saer Sene is the only one I know.
Serbia and Montenegro-Darko, Cabarkapa, Radmanovic
Slovenia-Beno and Rasho!, Nachbar, Brezec
Spain-Gasol, Garbajosa, Calderon, Rodriguez
Turkey-Turkoglu, Ilyasova and Okur
Venezuela-???

cheguevara
07-26-2006, 10:06 AM
Spain - Jorge Garbajosa

I think he's gonna be a beast in the NBA this year. With as much succes as Nocioni at least or more

SpursWillOwn
07-26-2006, 10:30 AM
People we will face:

Australia-Shane Heal is the only one I know(do y'all remember him?)
Brazil-Nene is the only one I know
China-Yao
France-Tony, Diaw, Petro, Turiaf, Pietrus
Germany-Dirk
Greece-???
Lebanon-???
Lithuania-Jasikevicius, Macijauskas, Javtokas
New Zealand-Marks
Nigeria-???
Panama-???
Puerto Rico-Arroyo and the other guys kicked our ass too.
Serbia and Montenegro-Peja and who else? 2003 Draft pick no.2 DARKO MILICIC
Slovenia-Beno and Rasho!
Spain-Gasol, Garbajosa
Turkey-Turkoglu and Okur
Venezuela-???

Pero
07-26-2006, 10:44 AM
People we will face:

Australia-Shane Heal is the only one I know(do y'all remember him?)
Brazil-Nene is the only one I know
China-Yao
France-Tony, Diaw, Petro, Turiaf, Pietrus
Germany-Dirk
Greece-???
Lebanon-???
Lithuania-Jasikevicius, Macijauskas, Javtokas
New Zealand-Marks
Nigeria-???
Panama-???
Puerto Rico-Arroyo and the other guys kicked our ass too.
Serbia and Montenegro-Peja and who else?
Slovenia-Beno and Rasho!
Spain-Gasol, Garbajosa
Turkey-Turkoglu and Okur
Venezuela-???

Jasikevicius and Peja won`t play. Slovenia most likely will have 3 other NBA players. S&M will have Milicic, other than that I think they don`t have any other current NBA players on this team.
Didn`t Marks retire from playing international basketball?

strangeweather
07-26-2006, 10:52 AM
Funny how for some, FIBA started sucking after the Sydney Olympics in 2000 (more specifically after Indiana 2002).
I think the problem a lot of people in the US have with FIBA is that it is a fairly different style of basketball from the NBA, which is what we're used to and what we like.

It's not the fault of FIBA -- they're an international body, and they have the right to set their own standards, but it's also not the fault of the NBA -- the NBA has been around since before FIBA started holding world championships.

Hopefully, the NBA and FIBA will get together at some point and try to work out standards for how to bring the rules and officiating closer together. If done right, a consistent set of rules for basketball would be good for everyone.

mathbzh
07-26-2006, 10:57 AM
Another problem is that, regarding the rules, the NBA has dicovered the perpetual motion.

Cherry
07-26-2006, 11:10 AM
http://www.lanacion.com.ar/anexos/imagen/06/549166.JPG

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/anexos/imagen/06/549161.jpg

http://www.ole.clarin.com/diario/2006/07/25/thumb/f034ah03.jpg

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/anexos/imagen/06/548655.jpg

spurschick
07-26-2006, 11:12 AM
Seeing Manu in that big coat makes me want to cry... it's freakin' a million degrees here!

Cherry
07-26-2006, 11:17 AM
Seeing Manu in that big coat makes me want to cry... it's freakin' a million degrees here!

Lucky you! we are freezeing down here :guin :lol

ALVAREZ6
07-26-2006, 12:00 PM
In Buenos Aires????

You shouldn't be.

furry_spurry
07-26-2006, 12:12 PM
People harrass European players when they talk about having to adjust to the style of play in the NBA, but there are always excuses as to why NBA players can't adjust to FIBA competitions.

strangeweather
07-26-2006, 12:20 PM
People harrass European players when they talk about having to adjust to the style of play in the NBA, but there are always excuses as to why NBA players can't adjust to FIBA competitions.
I think it's just a fact of life both ways. It's frustrating that players can't just come over and play NBA ball, and that some players' games don't translate well, but it's silly to blame the players as long as they're doing the best they can.

Obstructed_View
07-26-2006, 12:48 PM
Somebody needs to explain to me what Duncan didn't adjust to while being whistled for not touching guys on one end and being gang-raped with no whistle on the other. Seriously, people. I have a hard time believing anyone is stupid enough not to have seen that. Yes, the US team had problems, and yes, Argentina played GREAT against them, but please don't tell me that Duncan's inability to avoid foul trouble is because he's too stupid to adjust to the international game.

The US played terribly in the Olympics, but if people don't think that the officials took their most dominant player out of almost every game is at least a factor they need their fucking head examined.

Cherry
07-26-2006, 07:08 PM
In Buenos Aires????

You shouldn't be.

I´m from Mar del Plata ;)

spurschick
07-26-2006, 07:14 PM

I would gladly trade places with you. I prefer the cold.

Pero
07-27-2006, 03:57 AM
Somebody needs to explain to me what Duncan didn't adjust to while being whistled for not touching guys on one end and being gang-raped with no whistle on the other. Seriously, people. I have a hard time believing anyone is stupid enough not to have seen that. Yes, the US team had problems, and yes, Argentina played GREAT against them, but please don't tell me that Duncan's inability to avoid foul trouble is because he's too stupid to adjust to the international game.

The US played terribly in the Olympics, but if people don't think that the officials took their most dominant player out of almost every game is at least a factor they need their fucking head examined.

Why was it again that Duncan couldn`t guard Dirk?

Matiz
07-27-2006, 03:57 AM
Fiba and NBA won't find a common language, since noone can assure NBA won't change it's rules withing the next season... changing the dimensions of the court, or 3 pointer distance itself would represent enormous costs throughout the world... that's why Fiba won't adjust- because they can't afford to, while NBA won't change some rules that make bball more attractive neither.

Obstructed_View
07-28-2006, 07:19 AM
Why was it again that Duncan couldn`t guard Dirk?
Um, because Dirk watched the olympics from home?

Pero
07-28-2006, 09:00 AM
Um, because Dirk watched the olympics from home?

:lmao

Meant in the NBA playoffs. :)

SLOVENIAN 8
07-28-2006, 10:18 AM
This guys have no fuck... clue. Look at current players club :lol :lol :lol :lol

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/06_wcm/teamPlay/team/fe_teamPlay_teamRost.asp?roundID=3507&teamNumber=2154&langLC=en&eventID=3507

Beno
UDRIH G 195cm
6'5" 05/07/1982 - AVTODOR SARATOV
(RUS)

Primoz
BREZEC C 213cm
7'0" 02/10/1979 - UNION OLIMPIJA LJUBLJANA
(SLO) :lol :lol

William Anthony
PARKER G 186cm
6'1" 17/05/1982 - PARIS BASKET RACING
(FRA)

Mr. Body
07-28-2006, 10:29 AM
Holy crap, Beno is 6'5" now. Get that guy on the court!

velik_m
07-28-2006, 11:21 AM
This guys have no fuck... clue. Look at current players club :lol :lol :lol :lol

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/06_wcm/teamPlay/team/fe_teamPlay_teamRost.asp?roundID=3507&teamNumber=2154&langLC=en&eventID=3507

:lol :lol

:lol Brezec is what 4, 5 years in NBA?

furry_spurry
07-28-2006, 11:24 AM
Radoslav
NESTEROVIC MAKRIS C 214cm
7'0" 30/05/1976 - KINDER PALL. BOLOGNA
(ITA)

Rasho even longer!!

SLOVENIAN 8
07-28-2006, 11:32 AM
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/06_wcm/teamPlay/team/fe_teamPlay_teamRost.asp?roundID=3507&teamNumber=379&langLC=en&eventID=3507
:lol :lol

velik_m
07-28-2006, 11:39 AM
:lmao FIBA doesn't acknowledge NBA.

picnroll
07-28-2006, 11:53 AM
:lmao FIBA doesn't acknowledge NBA.
FIBA sucks. :lol

diego
07-28-2006, 11:59 AM

Your trippin buddy. Duncan got killed on moving screens (which are not called as strictly in the NBA). Contact in the paint isnt as strict in FIBA, shit, Marbury broke Oberto's hand and a foul wasnt even called.

Lets see Duncan has been playing in the NBA for ages, gets superstar calls... of course its going to be difficult to adjust. Not to mention there are fewer fouls to give. You have a situation where in the NBA duncan is barely touched with his back to the basket and its a foul, while moving screens and so on are practically ignored. meanwhile in FIBA contact under the basket is ok but illegal screens and over the backs are more strict.

And I believe Pero's point was that Duncan, while a great player (best in the world for the past 5 years IMO), does have weaknesses and if he cant defend dirk under NBA rules, why would you assume he can guard anybody under different rules without getting into foul trouble?

Kori Ellis
07-28-2006, 01:01 PM
MAR DEL PLATA (FIBA World Championship) - Manu Ginobili has promised that Argentina will demonstrate their "hunger" for glory in next month's FIBA World Championship.

The country won Olympic gold in Athens two years ago, also capturing the South American Championship the same year, and will look to build on their reputation even further with victory in Japan.

Ginobili told reporters at the team's training camp in Mar del Plata: "It's well-known that all of us are hungry, that we all want more.

"If our attitude had been different, we would have stayed at home. We want to return to the level we had in the 2004 Olympic Games."

Argentina are facing Venezuela in a warm-up game on Friday night and the San Antonio Spurs guard said: "In the first friendlies, we will not be at our best, as we're still in pre-season.

"But everybody's aim is to get to the World Championship opener against France (on August 19) at 100%.

"We're a bit slow and awkward, but we all know each other very well and we know what we need.

"We have to go on being united and to return to the group makes us feel very happy. We've reached two important finals together already, but the atmosphere is like you would expect if we were playing for our first goal."

Argentina will tip off in Group A alongside reigning champions Serbia & Montenegro, France, Venezuela, Nigeria and Lebanon.

"All the teams will want to beat Argentina, because the gold medal in Athens makes us one of the top teams," said Ginobili.

"We'll all have to take care of each other, no matter if they are younger or older. We won't win only with names. We'll progress with hard work, as always."

angel_luv
07-28-2006, 01:06 PM
Whats with the "attack angel" posts? So she isnt rooting for the USA... big freakin deal... you dont have to be a cowboys fan because you live in dallas... you dont have to root for the USA to win because you live here.

Her favorite player is Rasho... hence GO SLOVENIA!!!!

Thanks. :)

angel_luv
07-28-2006, 01:08 PM

So, GTG, then?

:eyebrows

:lol

Aww, those are nice pictures of Gino. I miss him. :)

furry_spurry
07-28-2006, 02:58 PM
Argentina will tip off in Group A alongside reigning champions Serbia & Montenegro, France, Venezuela, Nigeria and Lebanon.

Argentina and France got a really easy draw. S&M in no way resembles the team of 4 years ago and only got in on invitation, not qualifying high enough in the EC.

spurschick
07-29-2006, 10:23 AM
ARG - Manu leads Argentina fightback against Venezuela

MAR DEL PLATA (FIBA World Championship) – Argentina marked their preparations for next month’s FIBA World Championship with a 96-82 victory over Venezuela in Mar del Plata.

It was the first time in two years the 2004 Olympic champions had played a game in Argentina and they were made to battle for the win, coming back from 44-37 down at half-time.

Superstar Manu Ginobili was in impressive form for Sergio Hernandez’ team, pouring in 20 points.

And Ginobili’s San Antonio Spurs team-mate Fabricio Oberto believes the result showed promise ahead of the trip to Japan.

“We played very well," he said. "We improved a lot in the second half. In the first period we wanted to do everything, but we could not do anything.

“But we must be patient. It was the first step. We know how to train before a great tournament. The most important thing is to arrive in Japan in good form.”

Argentina will continue their build-up to the FIBA World Championship by playing in a Super Four tournament, along with the Venezuelans, Brazil and New Zealand.

Once in Japan, they will be in Group A with two-time defending champions Serbia & Montenegro - the team that beat them in overtime in the 2002 final in Indianapolis.

France, Lebanon, Nigeria and Venezuela will also be in the pool.

spurschick
07-29-2006, 10:56 AM
FRA - Bergeaud shrugs off favourites tag

DIVONNE-LES-BAINS (FIBA World Championship) - France coach Claude Bergeaud does not want his high-flying team to be given the favourites tag ahead of the FIBA World Championship in Japan.

Les Bleus, who have a handful of young and promising players, have impressed greatly since winning bronze at the 2005 EuroBasket in Serbia & Montenegro.

They will play in the FIBA World Championship for the first time in 20 years next month and are hungry for more success.

And so far their preparation has been flawless with a win over Switzerland (84-56) and convincing victories over Senegal (95-58), 2003 EuroBasket winners Lithuania (71-64) and China (76-57) in an international tournament staged in Strasbourg last weekend. But Bergeaud is keen to stress that his side should not be considered the best tip for success in Japan.

"We are not the favourites for the FIBA World Championship,” he said. "The United States have managed to create a competitive team and could well reach the final.

"Argentina and Greece are also very close to snatching the title, not to mention Serbia & Montenegro, who have acquired a real identity to their game"

Bergeaud does expect his side to reach the last eight though.

"Our prime objective is to book our ticket to the quarter-finals, that would be normal,” he added. "But in the last four, there could well be a European surprise, maybe France"

France, who will play a total of 12 warm-up matches before the tournament, are in Group A along with Argentina, Lebanon, Nigeria, Serbia & Montenegro and Venezuela, and will kick-off their campaign on August 19 against Argentina.

"Last year at the EuroBasket we suffered a difficult start before finished on a high,” said Bergeaud. "This time we will have to be ready right from the start. That is why we've played so many preparation matches.

"Both Argentina and Serbia are excellent teams who are among the favourites to win. It means the start of the competition will be extremely tough for us. We have to be well prepared"

France's strength comes from a good mixture of young and experienced players.

While Laurent Foirest and Frederic Weis are the only survivors from the team that won silver at the Sydney Olympics six years ago, Bergeaud has gradually brought in fresh blood into the national team such as San Antonio Spurs point guard Tony Parker and Phoenix Suns forward Boris Diaw, who was appointed captain last weekend.

Johan Petro (Seattle SuperSonics), Mickael Pietrus (Golden State Warriors) and Ronny Turiaf (Los Angeles Lakers) are the other three NBA players in the French squad.

But Bergeaud insisted that despite talent, a team is nothing without collective spirit.

"We have not yet decided on the five first-team members, but it will not necessarily be a five-man NBA team,” he said.

"Those players are under the limelight all the time but it does not mean they are the best. This is the collective spirit that will make the team strong, not individuals"

France will next week face Italy, Croatia and 2005 EuroBasket champions Greece in a tournament in Athens from July 31 to August 2 before taking on Italy and Turkey or Germany in Berlin on August 4-5.

velik_m
07-29-2006, 11:30 AM
France will next week face Italy, Croatia and 2005 EuroBasket champions Greece in a tournament in Athens from July 31 to August 2 before taking on Italy and Turkey or Germany in Berlin on August 4-5.

Great France has friendlies with Italy, Croatia, Greece, Germany... while we're picking on Quatar and Lebanon. Our weaknesses will be exposed in Singapore, but by then it will be too late to do something about them.

Slomo
07-29-2006, 01:04 PM
http://www.cikava.com/gallery/albums/Photoshop_madness/VelikM.jpg

velik_m
07-29-2006, 01:12 PM
:lmao :flipoff

Slomo
07-29-2006, 01:38 PM
:p

spurschick
07-29-2006, 02:07 PM
http://www.cikava.com/gallery/albums/Photoshop_madness/VelikM.jpg

I'm stupid girl... I don't get it... :oops

Kori Ellis
07-29-2006, 02:11 PM
Me either. But I figured it was a Slovenian thing :)

Slomo
07-29-2006, 02:21 PM
"velik m" translated into english would be "big m", that should clear it up for you :)

danyel
07-29-2006, 05:16 PM
Argentina and France got a really easy draw. S&M in no way resembles the team of 4 years ago and only got in on invitation, not qualifying high enough in the EC.

All teams got an easy draw, FIBA extendend the amount of teams to 24 so...

Kobayagi
07-29-2006, 06:12 PM
"velik m" translated into english would be "big m", that should clear it up for you :)

Buttons (Boutons??) + Slovenia = Velik M ???

I don't think I got it. :oops

furry_spurry
07-29-2006, 11:45 PM
All teams got an easy draw, FIBA extendend the amount of teams to 24 so...
No, they didn't because the "lower" teams are NOT evenly spread out. Don't get defensive because I mentioned Argentina; it is just the luck of the draw. France and Argentina have no real competiton at all in their group but the two of them. They will be more rested for the Round of 16 than teams in harder groups.

velik_m
07-30-2006, 01:42 AM
No, they didn't because the "lower" teams are NOT evenly spread out. Don't get defensive because I mentioned Argentina; it is just the luck of the draw. France and Argentina have no real competiton at all in their group but the two of them. They will be more rested for the Round of 16 than teams in harder groups.

not to mention they cross with the weakest group in the round of 16.

angel_luv
07-30-2006, 02:16 PM
Buttons (Boutons??) + Slovenia = Velik M ???

I don't think I got it. :oops

Is the thread in the buttons supposed to be a clue too?

I am afraid you will have to break it down for me Slomo. :oops

:lol

spurschick
07-30-2006, 04:54 PM
TUR - Strong second quarter propels Turkey past Slovenia

ANKARA (FIBA World Championship) - Turkey turned on the style in the second quarter to claim a huge advantage against Slovenia on Sunday before cruising to a 93-70 triumph on the last day of Efes Pilsen World Cup.

With each side having thrashed fellow FIBA World Championship sides Qatar and Lebanon in their previous games in Ankara, this was a battle of the unbeatens and the Slovenians jumped out to a 17-16 advantage at the end of the first quarter.

Bogdan Tanjevic's team hit back in the second period, however, outscoring the visitors 27-12 for a 43-29 lead at half-time and they extended the advantage to 66-49 by the end of the third quarter.

The home side, who got a game-high 16 points from Ermal Kurto?lu, pressed home their advantage in the fourth for the 23-point margin of victory.

Ibrahim Kutluay had 15 points and Cenk Akyol, who made the all-tournament team at the recently completed U20 European Championships in Izmir, finished with 11. Veteran guard Serkan Erdogan, who looks set to give Turkey a lift in Japan after it was feared he would miss due to concerns about his knee, weighed in with 10.

For Slovenia, Primoz Brezec had 15 points.

spurschick
07-30-2006, 04:56 PM
ARG - Hernandez happy with Argentinians' progress ahead of Japan

MAR DEL PLATA (FIBA World Championship) - Argentina coach Sergio Hernandez is very pleased with the attitude of his players and the progress they have made in their preparations for the FIBA World Championship.

The Olympic champions, who count the likes of Manu Ginobili, Andres Nocioni and Luis Scola among their ranks, beat Group A rivals Venezuela 96-82 in Mar del Plata in their first warm-up game for the tournament, which begins on August 19.

"We have made more progress than I expected,'' said Hernandez. "You never get used to training at such a high level, with so much talent all together.''

And the coach had special words of praise for the team`s willingness to learn.

"The top players are the ones who ask questions, the ones who want to know all the details,'' he added.

"The relationship between me and the players surpassed what I had expected. They have a wonderful respect and they recognise they need to be coached.''

waly.mg
07-30-2006, 08:11 PM
End of the 1st Half

Argentina leads by 15 over Venezuela

Scorers:

Scola 13, 4 RB, 2 Blk
Hermann 10
Delfino 7
Manu 5
Oberto4, and 5 RB

waly.mg
07-30-2006, 08:21 PM
Scola Time

19 Points and now 2 FT, with 7 left in the 3rd

Unstopable

kolko
07-30-2006, 08:33 PM
End of the 3rd quarter, Argentina 73 Venezuela 40

Scola 25 pts

waly.mg
07-30-2006, 08:35 PM
End of the 3rd

73-40
Scola 25 Points and 7-8 RB

waly.mg
07-30-2006, 08:35 PM
Scola is Singing "Don´t cry for me SAS"

V-2
07-30-2006, 08:53 PM
Half of the forum posters could score double figures against Venezuela's NT. Scola is a good player, but apparently not a SAS savior.

kolko
07-30-2006, 08:54 PM
End of game

Argentina 94 - Venezuela 55

kolko
07-30-2006, 08:59 PM
Scola: 25 pts (11/14 FG), 8 rebounds in 23 minutes.

spurschick
07-30-2006, 09:29 PM
Argentina 94 - Venezuela 55

That would be a definitive asskicking

Ripper
07-30-2006, 11:01 PM
anyway, Venezuela had 2 injured key players :p

Mavs_man_41
07-30-2006, 11:02 PM
anyone from the u.s. should go for the u.s.........

Mavs_man_41
07-30-2006, 11:10 PM
http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/basketball/story.html?id=9b9e286a-735b-4cb2-a2ba-5df8f9f72406&k=64197

Anyone else here about this? The canadian national team beat germany 71-68 and held dirk nowitzki to 8 pts 4 rebs

Kori Ellis
07-30-2006, 11:44 PM
anyway, Venezuela had 2 injured key players :p

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news/story?id=465017

Does this say Manu flagrant fouled/undercut a Venezuelan player that then had to betaken for elbow surgery and Manu may receive punishment from the league?

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-30-2006, 11:54 PM
http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/basketball/story.html?id=9b9e286a-735b-4cb2-a2ba-5df8f9f72406&k=64197

Anyone else here about this? The canadian national team beat germany 71-68 and held dirk nowitzki to 8 pts 4 rebs
Those damn canadians.

xamila rey
07-31-2006, 12:44 AM
http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news/story?id=465017

Does this say Manu flagrant fouled/undercut a Venezuelan player that then had to betaken for elbow surgery and Manu may receive punishment from the league?

no Kori it doesnt say anything about punishment.

Kori Ellis
07-31-2006, 12:49 AM
no Kori it doesnt say anything about punishment.

Can you tell me what it says? How did the player get hurt?
I can't read Spanish very well.

xamila rey
07-31-2006, 01:07 AM
Can you tell me what it says? How did the player get hurt?
I can't read Spanish very well.
Kori my english is so so, but i'll give it a try. ;)

Romero had a severe luxation in his left elbow. At nine seconds of starting the game Manu fouled him and when he fell down he hurt his elbow. He was taken to Garay hospital and had surgery.
He is out of the WC

u can also get some more info in the Argentinian newspaper called Clarin.
http://www.clarin.com/diario/2006/07/30/um/m-01243249.htm

waly.mg
07-31-2006, 09:30 AM
THE FACTS WERE:

Manu Blocks Romero when the ball was in Romero´s Hand, and Probably hit his hands

Wasn´t a Flagrant Foul

Was a unlucky fall

waly.mg
07-31-2006, 10:06 AM
The Rank of Argentina´s Player is:

MVP: Manu Ginobili
2nd Best: Scola Luis
3rd: Nocioni
4th: Oberto
5th: Pepe Sanchez
6th: Delfino
7th: Hermann Walter

Yes, Scola is better than Nocioni, right now

He improved his game since the Olympics, and his game in front of the basket is amazing. His shot from 15´-18´is great, he is in IRK level, not too bad

kolko
07-31-2006, 12:24 PM
Scola's pick and roll with Prigioni is almost unstoppable. His outside shot has also improved.

picnroll
07-31-2006, 12:52 PM
Scola would be wise to try to add an NBA 3 point range shot to his arsenal.

diego
07-31-2006, 01:07 PM
i think scola's nba future depends more on his rebounding ability than having a 3 pt shot.

picnroll
07-31-2006, 01:12 PM
Every team is looking for a big that can shoot the three. A 3 makes Scola more versatile. Scola can either rebound or he can't at this point. The three he may be able to add. The ability to shoot from distasnce is probably one of the skills that attracted the Raps to Garbajosa.

fred33
07-31-2006, 01:13 PM
another great game for tony parker during the win versus italia 26 mn 23 pt 7/9 2PT 6/8 FT SHOOTING 1/2 3PT IN 4 GAME THE FG ACCURACY OF TONY IS STUNNING MORE 70%

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-31-2006, 01:32 PM
another great game for tony parker during the win versus italia 26 mn 23 pt 7/9 2PT 6/8 FT SHOOTING 1/2 3PT IN 4 GAME THE FG ACCURACY OF TONY IS STUNNING MORE 70%
DAMN! THAT'S HOT!

FreshPrince22
07-31-2006, 01:37 PM
Anyone have any idea where I can find box scores for all of these Arg. prep games?

NZHayden
07-31-2006, 05:09 PM
Super Four Tournament

Brazil 83 (Anderson Varejao 20) NZ Tall Blacks 79 (Kirk Penney 20, Craig Bradshaw 16, Casey Frank 10)

Quarter 19-18

Halftime 37-32 (18-14)

Threequarter 59-57 (22-25)

Fulltime 83-79 (24-22)

spurschick
07-31-2006, 06:10 PM
NBA TV has finally said something about showing some games. It looks like they'll show more than just Team USA, but we'll have to wait til they put out a more definitive schedule.

NBA TV To Present 2006 FIBA World Championship

NEW YORK, July 31, 2006, -- When the world’s best teams gather in Japan for the 2006 FIBA World Championship, NBA TV will be there presenting 27 games. NBA TV will feature preliminary, quarterfinal, semifinal and finals matches on a tape-delayed basis beginning with a preliminary round game between 2004 Summer Olympic gold medalist Argentina and France on Saturday, Aug. 19. :elephant I smell vbookie!

Prior to the World Championship, the network will air five USA Basketball Men’s Senior National Team exhibition games starting with a replay of the 2006 State Farm USA Basketball Challenge in Las Vegas (originally airing on ESPN2 on Aug. 3) against Puerto Rico. NBA TV also will present live telecasts of U.S. games from Guangzhou, China, against Brazil on Tuesday, Aug. 8 at 8 a.m. ET and from Seoul, Korea, against Lithuania on Sunday, Aug. 13 at 1 a.m. ET.

spurschick
07-31-2006, 06:15 PM
Hot damn... ask and you shall receive...

NBA TV schedule

http://www.spurschick.com/schedule.jpg

spurschick
07-31-2006, 06:31 PM
More on the game between Argentina and Venezuela.

ARG - Scola adds fizz as Argentina roll past Venezuela

SANTA FE (Super Four) - Argentina continued their preparations for the FIBA World Championship by thrashing Venezuela in their opening game of the Super Four tournament.

Sergio Hernandez’s men showed no mercy to their opponents, running out 94-55 winners over the Vinotintos to set up a final with Brazil.

Top scorer Luis Scola`s 25 points and eight rebounds was the outstanding tally of the night, with Andres Nocioni contributing another 12 points in what was otherwise an impressive team display.

After the Olympic champions established a 33-point lead at the end of the third quarter, Hernandez threw on some reserves, like Hernan Jasen, Carlos Delfino, Daniel Farabello and Juan Gutierrez, who increased the margin to 40 points.

The final 39-point victory was Argentina`s second win over Venezuela, one of their opponents in Group A, in the past week following Friday`s 96-82 triumph and bodes well for next month`s international showpiece in Japan.

Hernandez insists his squad still has plenty of time before he selects his final World Championship party.

“The World Championship squad will be defined a bit later, not in these days,” he said. “After these friendlies, we have a new game against New Zealand in Buenos Aires before flying to Madrid.

“It doesn’t mean that we’ll play all the friendlies with the 15 players of the preliminary squad. Perhaps we play the final one with less men.

It’ll be a very difficult decision for me, because this is a very even squad.”

As well as the humiliating defeat, Venezuela suffered an injury to key man Hector Romero only nine seconds into the game. Romero required surgery on an elbow injury following a foul by Manu Ginobili and will miss the World Championship.

A South American derby with Brazil awaits Argentina in the Super Four final after the Verdeamarelos beat New Zealand 83-79.

Anderson Varejao netted 20 points for Aluisio ‘Lula’ Ferreira`s side, while Alex contributed 13 coming off the bench, and Marcelinho Machado added 12.

The Tall Blacks could have sent the game to overtime but two players missed two two-pointers in the final seconds of the game.

They will now play a third-place play-off game against Venezuela.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-31-2006, 06:33 PM
Hot damn... ask and you shall receive...

NBA TV schedule

http://www.spurschick.com/schedule.jpg
funny how that doesn't work down here. Over here its more like "ask and you... just don't ask"

spurschick
07-31-2006, 06:35 PM
FRA - France ready for tougher competition in Greece

ATHENS (FIBA World Championship) - France coach Claude Bergeaud is expecting a step up in class when his side face Italy, Croatia and Greece in the Acropolis Tournament - their second preparation event for the FIBA World Championship in Japan.

Les Bleus, now down to 14 players after the axing of Vincent Masingue, Michel Morandais and Stephen Brun a week ago, outclassed Senegal, Lithuania and China in Strasbourg two weekends ago. But Bergeaud insists his men will face a tougher challenge as from Monday night.

“Those three teams [Italy, Croatia and Greece] are going to be far more difficult and solid,” Bergeaud said. “We are about to clash with players who are used to playing in hard matches and who never panic even if they are led towards at end of their games.

“Unfortunately, we did not have that in Strasbourg, that`s why we are waiting for those matches with great impatience in order to work on our ability to close in on tight games.”

France will also face Greece, who defeated them in the semi-final of last year’s EuroBasket before winning the title. The Greeks had prevented Les Bleus from reaching the final in the final seconds of the clash.

“If we replay Greece and we are seven points ahead one minute to the end, I promise that we will not lose the game this time, because everyone in the team still remembers what happened last September,” added Bergeaud.

The French boss is expected to unveil his final 12-man World Championship squad on August 2 where he will have to chose between centres Ronny Turiaf and Yohan Petro and between shooting guards, Yannick Bokolo and Joseph Gomis.

France will then travel to Berlin to face Italy again as well as Germany or Turkey on August 4-5 before playing a final friendly tournament in China from August 12 to 15.

Les Bleus, who will have played a total of 12 warm-up games before the start of the FIBA World Championship on August 19, have been drawn in Group A along with Argentina, Lebanon, Nigeria, Serbia & Montenegro and Venezuela.

They will kick-start the competition on the opening day with a clash against Olympic champions Argentina.

kolko
07-31-2006, 09:13 PM
End of game: Argentina 103 - Brazil 97

Scola 14 pts 11 rbds
Delfino 16 pts

Nocioni 16 pts

kolko
07-31-2006, 09:17 PM
Manu 19 pts in 18 minutes (5-11 FT :oops )

spurschick
07-31-2006, 09:23 PM
Manu 19 pts in 18 minutes (5-11 FT :oops )

It's the Spurs Curse :lol

kolko
07-31-2006, 09:32 PM
http://www.clarin.com/diario/2006/07/31/um/fotos/argentina_brasil.jpg

spurschick
07-31-2006, 09:34 PM
FRA - Parker power as France defeat Italy in Athens

ATHENS (World Championship) - Tony Parker poured in 23 points as France beat Italy 66-59 on the opening night of the Acropolis Tournament.

Fresh off their triumphs in Strasbourg over Senegal, China and Lithuania, the French kept the winning momentum after establishing a 22-16 lead. They extended that to 36-25 at half-time and kept their noses in front.

Italy tried to claw their way back and after baskets late in the fourth quarter by Angelo Gigli, they trailed 61-55 but France were able to hold on.

Gigli, who recently signed for Benetton Treviso, had 11 points and six rebounds to lead Italy.

ATX Spur
07-31-2006, 09:52 PM
http://www.clarin.com/diario/2006/07/31/um/fotos/argentina_brasil.jpg

when did raja bell play for brasil? :smokin

kolko
07-31-2006, 10:01 PM
It's Leandrinho Barbosa.

ATX Spur
07-31-2006, 10:05 PM
I know, I always used to confuse the two on the suns. Joke at myself.

spurschick
07-31-2006, 10:05 PM
I didn't even notice the other guy in that picture. :drunk

picnroll
07-31-2006, 11:38 PM
Stats (http://foros.acb.com/viewtopic.php?t=164790)

Argentina
Ginobili 19pts 3asts 4boards
Scola 14pts 10boards 2asts
Nocioni 16pts 6boards
Delfino 18pts 5boards 2steals 2asts
Oberto 10pts 6boards
Pepe Sanchez 5pts 5asts 5boards 2blocks

Brazil
Barbosa 12pts 3boards
Marcelinho Machado 13pts 4asts 3rebs
A.Varejão 15pts 13boards
Tiago Splitter 17pts 7boards 1steals
Alex Garcia 16pts 3boards 1steal
Guilherme Giovanonni 13pts 5boards

spurschick
08-01-2006, 06:57 AM
ARG - Hernandez axes Quinteros, Jasen and Gutiérrez from squad

BUENOS AIRES (FIBA World Championship) - Argentina coach Sergio Hernandez has wielded the axe for the last time ahead of the FIBA World Championship with Hernan Jasen, Paolo Quinteros and Juan Gutiérrez told they will not play in Japan.

Leonardo Gutiérrez, who like the aforementioned trio played for Argentina's bronze-medal winning side in this summer's South American Championship, has been named in Hernandez's final 12.

Pablo Prigioni of Tau Ceramica and Daniel Farabello of Varese - he is coached by former Argentina boss Ruben Magnano - are the only two players who did not take part in the Athens Olympics.

"It´s a difficult decision but especially a painful one," said Hernandez on the Argentina federation's official website. "I based my choice on those players that have more experience in the national teams and at top levels like a World Championship.

"I opted for those who know their roles within the team and who have assumed it, moreover, those who have proved to have the character in the crucial times that the team has experienced in the past."

The decision will be difficult to accept for the trio of players to be cut, and particularly Quinteros whom Hernandez had described as "a born shooter, not common in Argentinian basketball".

1Parker1
08-01-2006, 07:05 AM
Damn, I thought the games were also being broadcasted on ESPN2??? I don't have NBATV :depressed

1Parker1
08-01-2006, 07:15 AM
Paris (ANTARA News) - France coach Claude Bergeaud has warned his players to avoid relying on NBA All-Star Tony Parker if the side wants to enjoy a successful run at this month`s world championship in Japan.

His comments came after the San Antonio Spurs guard scored 23 points to lead France to a 66-59 win over Italy in a Berlin tournament contest on Monday.

"Tony is so strong, so dominant that the guys watch him play," Bergeaud told French sports daily L`Equipe on Tuesday.

"We need a good rout to realise we have to play all together."

Frederic Weis proved efficient support for Parker under the basket with eight points and eight rebounds, but Seattle`s Johan Petro and Cyril Julian could only manage four points and seven rebounds between them, Reuters reported.(*)

spurschick
08-01-2006, 08:22 AM
Damn, I thought the games were also being broadcasted on ESPN2??? I don't have NBATV :depressed

They are

Saturday, August 19
USA vs. Puerto Rico

Sunday, August 20
USA vs. China

Tuesday, August 22
USA vs. Slovenia

Wednesday, August 23
USA vs. Italy

Thursday, August 24
USA vs. Senegal

1Parker1
08-01-2006, 08:26 AM
Oh good...thanks for the info Spurschick!

mabber
08-01-2006, 09:04 AM
Nowitzki names Team USA as World Championship favorite

July 31, 2006
NUREMBERG, Germany (Ticker) - German superstar Dirk Nowitzki has labeled the United States as "the team to beat" in next month's World Basketball Championships in Japan.

The versatile 7-foot forward of the Dallas Mavericks feels the depth of the Americans is their best asset and backs them to cope with the absence of superstar Kobe Bryant from their squad.

"The Americans are the favorites," Nowitzki said following Germany's 95-75 win over Canada in an exhibition game Sunday. "They are really stacked. The only guy they don't have is Kobe. But they still have Dwyane Wade and LeBron (James) and plenty of other guys.

"After them, everything is open. Spain and Pau Gasol will be really strong. But the field is very open and everybody can beat everybody. But I think the Americans are the team to beat."

Nowitzki praised Team USA's coaches for bringing in role players such as Shane Battier and Bruce Bowen to go with their superstars.

"They've found a really good mix," he said.

However, he believes Bryant, who is sidelined with a knee injury, will be a big loss.

"It would have been a great show for basketball if Kobe could have come along," he said. "But they (Americans) still have a lot of great and talented players for the world to watch."

Germany will face Spain, New Zealand, Angola, Panama and hosts Japan in Group B in Hiroshima.

Team USA will take on Italy, Slovenia, Senegal, China and Puerto Rico in Group D. The tournament begins August 19.

1Parker1
08-01-2006, 09:12 AM
:lol Never realized what a big Kobe Bryant fan Dirk was....

mabber
08-01-2006, 09:17 AM
:lol Never realized what a big Kobe Bryant fan Dirk was....

I'm guessing that when a player lights your team up for 60+ points in 3 quarters, you're going to think that player is pretty good :lol

1Parker1
08-01-2006, 09:57 AM
I'm guessing that when a player lights your team up for 60+ points in 3 quarters, you're going to think that player is pretty good :lol

:lmao Damn, I forgot about that...

Mr. Body
08-01-2006, 10:12 AM
Italy tried to claw their way back and after baskets late in the fourth quarter by Angelo Gigli, they trailed 61-55 but France were able to hold on.

This guy was earmarked for the Spurs in some mock drafts last year, but didn't even get drafted in the second round and was very disappointed. There were hopes he'd pick up SF skills but apparently hasn't yet. He may make it in the NBA at some point if he bulks up.

Here's draftexpress's profile (http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=102#).

waly.mg
08-01-2006, 10:13 AM
Stats (http://foros.acb.com/viewtopic.php?t=164790)

Argentina
Ginobili 19pts 3asts 4boards
Scola 14pts 10boards 2asts
Nocioni 16pts 6boards
Delfino 18pts 5boards 2steals 2asts
Oberto 10pts 6boards
Pepe Sanchez 5pts 5asts 5boards 2blocks

Brazil
Barbosa 12pts 3boards
Marcelinho Machado 13pts 4asts 3rebs
A.Varejão 15pts 13boards
Tiago Splitter 17pts 7boards 1steals
Alex Garcia 16pts 3boards 1steal
Guilherme Giovanonni 13pts 5boards

Scola 14 Points - 10 Boards vs Varejao and Splitter :smokin

waly.mg
08-01-2006, 10:19 AM
It's Leandrinho Barbosa.

The Suns Draft Steal vs Spurs

picnroll
08-01-2006, 10:46 AM
Scola was named MVP of the tournament.

If Scola can have a really good game against the USA and Brand and Howard maybe the Spurs can get a sweet draft pick for his rights. Package his rights and their '07 pick to move up in the strong '07 draft.

waly.mg
08-01-2006, 11:01 AM
I want to see first if TD is moving to Center

If in this season TD will play more as Center, Next year we must to try so sign Scola

I saw Scola, and Scola vs IRK, and IRK probably is a only a little better

In this tournament Scola consistently scores from 15-18 feet in front of the Rim

In the TAU Scola is the first option and the rivals teams adjusts the defense in him, but in Argentina if you adjust on Scola, Manu and Nocioni are going to destroy you

The same thing can happen in SAS, Scola with only one defender, and not the best, because the Best is on Duncan, Scola can score more than 10 Points in every game

yesteray in the 1st Q, Manu and Nocioni were on Fire, Manu scores 12 Points and only returned in the 3rd

angel_luv
08-01-2006, 03:17 PM
I just caught up on this thread.

Props to both Gino and Tony- seems like both are doing us proud. :)

Pero
08-01-2006, 03:46 PM
What does IRK mean?

manu
08-01-2006, 03:53 PM
does anyone know if the ARGENTINA TEAM WILL BE TELEVISED???

WHAT ABOUT THEIR OPENER VS FRANCE ON AUGUST 19?? WILL THAT ONE BE TELEVISED??!!!!

angel_luv
08-01-2006, 03:59 PM
What does IRK mean?

Are they talking about Dirk having no D (as in defense)?

I know that was the joke about _allas. :)

Kori Ellis
08-01-2006, 03:59 PM
does anyone know if the ARGENTINA TEAM WILL BE TELEVISED???

WHAT ABOUT THEIR OPENER VS FRANCE ON AUGUST 19?? WILL THAT ONE BE TELEVISED??!!!!

YES!!

manu
08-01-2006, 04:00 PM
YES!!

what channel???????????????????????????

Kori Ellis
08-01-2006, 04:01 PM
Games on ESPN2

Thursday, Aug. 3 11:00 p.m. (ET) Las Vegas, Nevada USA - Puerto Rico
Monday, Aug. 7 9:30 p.m. (ET) Guangzhou, China USA - China
Monday, Aug. 14 1:30 a.m. (ET) Seoul, Korea USA - Korea

August 18 1:00 a.m. (ET) USA - Puerto Rico
August 20 6:30 a.m. (ET) USA - China
August 22 6:30 a.m. (ET) USA - Slovenia
August 23 6:30 a.m. (ET) USA - Italy
August 24 6:30 a.m. (ET) USA - Senegal
and future USA games when they advance.

Games on NBA TV

Friday, Aug. 4 4:00 p.m. (ET) Las Vegas, Nevada USA - Puerto Rico (replay)
Tuesday, Aug. 8 8:00 a.m. (ET) Guangzhou, China USA - Brazil
Tuesday, Aug. 8 4:00 p.m. (ET) Guangzhou, China USA - China (replay)
Sunday, Aug. 13 1:00 a.m. (ET) Seoul, Korea USA - Lithuania
Wednesday, Aug. 16 4:00 p.m. (ET) Seoul, Korea USA - Korea (replay)

August 19 4:00 p.m. (ET) Argentina - France
August 19 6:00 p.m. (ET) Turkey - Lithuania
August 20 4:00 p.m. (ET) USA - Puerto Rico (replay)
August 20 6:00 p.m. (ET) France - Serbia & Montenegro
August 20 8:00 p.m. (ET) Argentina - Lebanon
August 21 4:00 p.m. (ET) USA - China (replay)
August 21 6:00 p.m. (ET) Germany - Spain
August 22 4:00 p.m. (ET) China - Puerto Rico
August 22 6:00 p.m. (ET) Italy - Senegal
August 23 4:00 p.m. (ET) USA - Slovenia (replay)
August 23 6:00 p.m. (ET) Venezuela - Serbia & Montenegro
August 23 8:00 p.m. (ET) Nigeria - Argentina
August 24 2:00 p.m. (ET) USA - Italy (replay)
August 24 4:00 p.m. (ET) Slovenia - China
August 25 4:00 p.m. (ET) USA - Senegal (replay)
August 25 6:00 p.m. (ET) Lithuania - Brazil
August 26 4:00 p.m. (ET) Turkey - Greece
August 26 6:00 p.m. (ET) Italy - Puerto Rico
August 27 6:00 p.m. (ET) Eighth Final TBD
August 27 8:00 p.m. (ET) Eighth Final TBD
August 29 TBD Quarterfinals TBD
August 30 TBD Quarterfinals TBD
September 2 4:00 p.m. (ET) Semifinals TBD
September 2 6:00 p.m. (ET) Semifinals TBD
September 4 4:00 p.m. (ET) Gold Medal Game

manu
08-01-2006, 04:03 PM
yayyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kori Ellis
08-01-2006, 04:04 PM
So if you miss a USA game on ESPN2 because of the weird hours, they are replayed on NBA TV.

angel_luv
08-01-2006, 04:05 PM
I am so excited that basketball is back for a little bit.

I can't wait till "my games" air. :D

manu
08-01-2006, 04:05 PM
too bad espn won't air any ARGENTINA GAMES!!! =(

Kori Ellis
08-01-2006, 04:06 PM

They will if they advance and play USA.

In addition, ESPN2 will televise live coverage of both FIBA World Championship semifinals (Friday, Sept. 1 at 3:30 and 6:30 a.m. EDT) and gold medal game (Sunday, Sept. 3 at 6:30 a.m. EDT).

Pero
08-01-2006, 04:07 PM

So you won`t play for Argentina then?

manu

ohhhh
then in that case never mind
THERE ARE PLACES I REMEMBER!

Pero
Are they talking about Dirk having no D (as in defense)?

If they are, that`s redicoulous. Dirk being only a little better than Scola?! Please...

angel_luv
08-01-2006, 04:09 PM

In addition, ESPN2 will televise live coverage of both FIBA World Championship semifinals (Friday, Sept. 1 at 3:30 and 6:30 a.m. EDT) and gold medal game (Sunday, Sept. 3 at 6:30 a.m. EDT).

That is awesome! :elephant

I won't miss the Sunday game even with church. Yea! :fro

spurschick
08-01-2006, 04:16 PM
FRA - Turiaf to the rescue as France beat Croatia at the end

ATHENS (FIBA World Championship) - Ronny Turiaf scored France's last eight points to lift Les Bleus to a 76-69 victory over a determined Croatia on Tuesday.

Roko-Leni Ukic's drive and basket with four minutes remaining tied the game at 66-66, and Claude Bergeaud called former Gonzaga great Turiaf's number and he clinched victory.

Turiaf finished with 12 points and four rebounds, and possibly sealed a place in the French team for the FIBA World Championship in the process.

The 6ft 9in power forward played just over 12 minutes but made the most of his chance, sinking all five of his shots from the field and making two of three free throws.

Tony Parker and Johan Petro each had 13 points while French captain Boris Diaw poured in 10.

Mario Kasun and Marko Banic scored 13 each for Croatia while Ukic weighed in with nine.

France play Greece on Wednesday night in a rematch of last year's EuroBasket semi-final.

angel_luv
08-01-2006, 04:20 PM
Nicely done Tony :)

xamila rey
08-01-2006, 05:19 PM
Hola!
For those of you who have the spanish programing on direct tv cable, i just heared that TyC sports (torneos y competencias) channel got the rights to transmit the Argentina games.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-01-2006, 05:31 PM
Games on ESPN2

Thursday, Aug. 3 11:00 p.m. (ET) Las Vegas, Nevada USA - Puerto Rico
Monday, Aug. 7 9:30 p.m. (ET) Guangzhou, China USA - China
Monday, Aug. 14 1:30 a.m. (ET) Seoul, Korea USA - Korea

August 18 1:00 a.m. (ET) USA - Puerto Rico
August 20 6:30 a.m. (ET) USA - China
August 22 6:30 a.m. (ET) USA - Slovenia
August 23 6:30 a.m. (ET) USA - Italy
August 24 6:30 a.m. (ET) USA - Senegal
and future USA games when they advance.

Games on NBA TV

Friday, Aug. 4 4:00 p.m. (ET) Las Vegas, Nevada USA - Puerto Rico (replay)
Tuesday, Aug. 8 8:00 a.m. (ET) Guangzhou, China USA - Brazil
Tuesday, Aug. 8 4:00 p.m. (ET) Guangzhou, China USA - China (replay)
Sunday, Aug. 13 1:00 a.m. (ET) Seoul, Korea USA - Lithuania
Wednesday, Aug. 16 4:00 p.m. (ET) Seoul, Korea USA - Korea (replay)

August 19 4:00 p.m. (ET) Argentina - France
August 19 6:00 p.m. (ET) Turkey - Lithuania
August 20 4:00 p.m. (ET) USA - Puerto Rico (replay)
August 20 6:00 p.m. (ET) France - Serbia & Montenegro
August 20 8:00 p.m. (ET) Argentina - Lebanon
August 21 4:00 p.m. (ET) USA - China (replay)
August 21 6:00 p.m. (ET) Germany - Spain
August 22 4:00 p.m. (ET) China - Puerto Rico
August 22 6:00 p.m. (ET) Italy - Senegal
August 23 4:00 p.m. (ET) USA - Slovenia (replay)
August 23 6:00 p.m. (ET) Venezuela - Serbia & Montenegro
August 23 8:00 p.m. (ET) Nigeria - Argentina
August 24 2:00 p.m. (ET) USA - Italy (replay)
August 24 4:00 p.m. (ET) Slovenia - China
August 25 4:00 p.m. (ET) USA - Senegal (replay)
August 25 6:00 p.m. (ET) Lithuania - Brazil
August 26 4:00 p.m. (ET) Turkey - Greece
August 26 6:00 p.m. (ET) Italy - Puerto Rico
August 27 6:00 p.m. (ET) Eighth Final TBD
August 27 8:00 p.m. (ET) Eighth Final TBD
September 2 4:00 p.m. (ET) Semifinals TBD
September 2 6:00 p.m. (ET) Semifinals TBD
September 4 4:00 p.m. (ET) Gold Medal Game
What does the TBD mean?

kolko
08-01-2006, 05:44 PM
To Be Determined

spurschick
08-01-2006, 07:21 PM
GER - Nowitzki names Team USA as favourites

NUREMBERG (FIBA World Championship) - Germany superstar Dirk Nowitzki has labelled the United States "the team to beat" in the forthcoming FIBA World Championship in Japan.

The versatile 7ft Dallas Mavericks forward feels USA’s strength in depth is their best asset, and backs them to cope even with the absence of Kobe Bryant from their squad.

"The Americans are the favourites," said Nowitzki following Germany’s 95-75 win over Canada in a warm-up game on Sunday. "They are really stacked. The only guy they don't have is Kobe.

"But they still have Dwyane Wade and LeBron (James) and plenty of other guys.

"After them, everything is open. Spain and Pau Gasol will be really strong. But the field is very open and everybody can beat everybody. But I think the Americans are the team to beat."

Nowitzki praised Team USA's coaches for bringing in role players to go with their superstars.

"They’ve found a really good mix," he said, However, he believes Bryant, who is sidelined with a knee injury, will be a big loss to the tournament.

"It would have been a great show for basketball if Kobe could have come along," he said. "But they (the Americans) still have a lot of great and talented players for the world to watch."

mabber
08-01-2006, 08:38 PM
GER - Nowitzki names Team USA as favourites

NUREMBERG (FIBA World Championship) - Germany superstar Dirk Nowitzki has labelled the United States "the team to beat" in the forthcoming FIBA World Championship in Japan.

The versatile 7ft Dallas Mavericks forward feels USA’s strength in depth is their best asset, and backs them to cope even with the absence of Kobe Bryant from their squad.

"The Americans are the favourites," said Nowitzki following Germany’s 95-75 win over Canada in a warm-up game on Sunday. "They are really stacked. The only guy they don't have is Kobe.

"But they still have Dwyane Wade and LeBron (James) and plenty of other guys.

Nowitzki praised Team USA's coaches for bringing in role players to go with their superstars.

"They’ve found a really good mix," he said, However, he believes Bryant, who is sidelined with a knee injury, will be a big loss to the tournament.

"It would have been a great show for basketball if Kobe could have come along," he said. "But they (the Americans) still have a lot of great and talented players for the world to watch."

There's a shocker...the USA is the team to beat. No shit, Dirk. :lol

They're the team to beat every time...it's just a matter if they care enough to win the title.

Cherry
08-02-2006, 12:10 PM
Caption this :spin

http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/3606/20ww5.jpg

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/2863/36zq6.jpg

angel_luv
08-02-2006, 12:21 PM
hahaha... that first one is really cute Cherry. :)

spurschick
08-02-2006, 06:20 PM
GRE - Parker superb but Greece win in Athens over France

ATHENS (FIBA World Championship) - Greece clinched first place in the Acropolis Tournament with an impressive win over fellow FIBA World Championship side France on Wednesday.

In a replay of last year's EuroBasket semi-final, which Greece won after mounting a big comeback with less than 50 seconds remaining, the Greeks won 70-56.

The defeat was the first of the summer for France's top side as they prepare for Group A action later this month in the Far East against Argentina, Serbia & Montenegro, Venezuela, Nigeria and Lebanon.

France started better and built a 15-8 lead by the end of the first quarter, however, the hosts clawed their way back and trailed 29-27 at half-time.

Panagiotis Yannakis' team then took a 49-39 lead with 10 minutes remaining and ultimately prevailed.

Tony Parker, who has been in excellent form for France, had 20 points in defeat to lead all scorers. He was eight of 12 from the field, including two of five from three-point range.

Vasileios Spanoulis, who has signed a deal to play for the Houston Rockets next season, scored 11 for Greece.

France committed 27 turnovers in the contest to just 15 for Greece. The French outrebounded their hosts 40-36.

FRA - Turiaf battles Petro for French place

ATHENS (FIBA World Championship) - France coach Claude Bergeaud is facing another selection headache with Johan Petro and Ronny Turiaf competing for a place in the 12-man squad for the FIBA World Championship.

Both youngsters played well in Tuesday’s 76-69 triumph over Croatia and Bergeaud is expected to announce his team this weekend.

Bergeaud said: “The players don't make things any easier for me. It's been like this since the start of the preparations in July. They are all playing at a good level. I just hope that those who will be chosen will not relax their efforts afterwards. That's why it's good the final decision comes early.”

Petro had 13 points and Turiaf 12 - including France’s last eight points to secure victory against Croatia.

spurschick
08-02-2006, 06:21 PM
ARG - Herrmann stunned by Argentina's very good form

BUENOS AIRES (FIBA World Championship) - Argentina's Walter Herrmann is surprised by how quickly the Olympic champions have hit their stride in training this summer.

The South Americans are among the favourites to win a gold medal at the FIBA World Championship, and Herrmann said: “Nowadays, I mark the team with a 7 or 7.50, but I’m surprised at how fast we have improved.

“I could not have imagined that we would have been so good at this point. We’ve been out of the national team for two years and we were coming from holidays, but we caught everything very quickly. It helps a lot that we know each other very well.

“Argentina are favourites (to win), because we are the Olympic champions and have the potential to fight for the title again. However, we must demonstrate it on court.”

Herrmann played for Argentina at the Athens Games, and he celebrated a Copa del Rey win with Unicaja Malaga the following season while this year won the Spanish ACB with his club side.

Now he appears to be headed to the NBA next season with the Charlotte Hornets.

Herrmann told Ole newspaper: “They (Charlotte) told me that the oral agreement is total. They only have to send the contract to me to sign it. There is a 95% chance.

“They told me that they count on me, but the signature is left yet. It is the best thing it could have happened to me. I’ll go to a team where I can have a lot of minutes. Charlotte treated me very well and convinced me.

“I want to go to the NBA. If I can do it, I’ll go to the World Championship as a free agent.”

His focus is on Japan right now and not the United States where he is likely to join Argentinian team-mates Carlos Delfino (Detroit), Manu Ginobili and Fabricio Oberto (San Antonio) and Andres Nocioni (Chicago)..

Herrmann would like nothing more than to arrive in the US as a FIBA world champion.

mabber
08-02-2006, 07:40 PM
GRE - Parker superb but Greece win in Athens over France

ATHENS (FIBA World Championship) - Greece clinched first place in the Acropolis Tournament with an impressive win over fellow FIBA World Championship side France on Wednesday.

In a replay of last year's EuroBasket semi-final, which Greece won after mounting a big comeback with less than 50 seconds remaining, the Greeks won 70-56.

The defeat was the first of the summer for France's top side as they prepare for Group A action later this month in the Far East against Argentina, Serbia & Montenegro, Venezuela, Nigeria and Lebanon.

France started better and built a 15-8 lead by the end of the first quarter, however, the hosts clawed their way back and trailed 29-27 at half-time.

Panagiotis Yannakis' team then took a 49-39 lead with 10 minutes remaining and ultimately prevailed.

Tony Parker, who has been in excellent form for France, had 20 points in defeat to lead all scorers. He was eight of 12 from the field, including two of five from three-point range.

Vasileios Spanoulis, who has signed a deal to play for the Houston Rockets next season, scored 11 for Greece.

France committed 27 turnovers in the contest to just 15 for Greece. The French outrebounded their hosts 40-36.

FRA - Turiaf battles Petro for French place

ATHENS (FIBA World Championship) - France coach Claude Bergeaud is facing another selection headache with Johan Petro and Ronny Turiaf competing for a place in the 12-man squad for the FIBA World Championship.

Both youngsters played well in Tuesday’s 76-69 triumph over Croatia and Bergeaud is expected to announce his team this weekend.

Bergeaud said: “The players don't make things any easier for me. It's been like this since the start of the preparations in July. They are all playing at a good level. I just hope that those who will be chosen will not relax their efforts afterwards. That's why it's good the final decision comes early.”

Petro had 13 points and Turiaf 12 - including France’s last eight points to secure victory against Croatia.

Wow, 27 turnovers!

waly.mg
08-02-2006, 07:59 PM
Oh My God
Argentina - New Zealand

1st Quarter Luis Scola 15 Points

FreshPrince22
08-02-2006, 08:05 PM
Oh My God
Argentina - New Zealand

1st Quarter Luis Scola 15 Points

Any idea where I could find a live boxscore?

kolko
08-02-2006, 08:07 PM
Halftime

Argentina 53 New Zealend 40

Scola 23 pts (10/11 FG)

spurschick
08-02-2006, 08:33 PM
Is this the point that we get really pissed that we couldn't bring him over this year?

waly.mg
08-02-2006, 08:34 PM
Small Ball in Argentina

Pepe-Manu-Delfino-Nocioni-Scola

waly.mg
08-02-2006, 08:38 PM
Is this the point that we get really pissed that we couldn't bring him over this year?

May be, but if TD is Okey doesn´t matter

But when TD is with some injures or he lost some games, we will need a player like Scola, the team never will be the same, but with Scola we can win games yet, without Td and Scola is very difficult

spurschick
08-02-2006, 08:39 PM
Small Ball in Argentina

:madrun I wish I could see this game!

smeagol
08-02-2006, 08:44 PM
Halftime

Argentina 53 New Zealend 40

Scola 23 pts (10/11 FG)
[/] That Scola guy sucks![/ducks]

Altromondo
08-02-2006, 09:08 PM
85-72 final score

angel_luv
08-02-2006, 09:23 PM
Good job Argentina.

When do they play again? I have been feeling bad that I haven't kept up better with Gino and Fabri's schedule.

kolko
08-02-2006, 09:34 PM
Good job Argentina.

When do they play again? I have been feeling bad that I haven't kept up better with Gino and Fabri's schedule.
They played their last game in Argentina tonight. Tomorrow, they will be flying to Europe to participate in a friendly tournament in Spain on Saturday and Sunday. Finally, they will travel to Singapore to play more games before the start of the tournament.

I think they play Slovenia on August 11th in Singapore.

FreshPrince22
08-02-2006, 09:41 PM
Small Ball in Argentina

So is Delfino starting?

waly.mg
08-02-2006, 09:45 PM
THe starting lineup is the same

Pepe-Manu-Chapu-Scola-Oberto

But after a couples of minutes in the Third, The coach make that move

With Nocioni as PF and Scola the Center

FreshPrince22
08-02-2006, 09:47 PM
THe starting lineup is the same

Pepe-Manu-Chapu-Scola-Oberto

But after a couples of minutes in the Third, The coach make that move

With Nocioni as PF and Scola the Center

oh ok. well, as long as Delfino is playing some. How'd he do today?

angel_luv
08-02-2006, 09:54 PM
They played their last game in Argentina tonight. Tomorrow, they will be flying to Europe to participate in a friendly tournament in Spain on Saturday and Sunday. Finally, they will travel to Singapore to play more games before the start of the tournament.

Thanks!

I think they play Slovenia on August 11th in Singapore.

Awwwwww. The day before my birthday. :D

kolko
08-02-2006, 09:56 PM
Delfino is playing great, he's hitting his outside shot. He also had like 4 steals tonight.

kolko
08-02-2006, 10:06 PM
Official stats:

Argentina 85 - New Zealand 72

Scola 30 pts (12/15 FG), 7 rebounds and 3 assists
Ginobili 12 pts, 5 rebs
Nocioni 17 pts, 4 rebs
Delfino 11 pts, 3 steals (3/6 FG)

angel_luv
08-02-2006, 10:08 PM
Scola had his Wheaties! :lol

Wow that is impressive.

Solid games from Gino, Noci, and Delfino as well.

Props guys! :)

spurschick
08-02-2006, 10:11 PM
Manu's eyes have laser beams

http://www.spurschick.com/manu_nz.jpg

kolko
08-02-2006, 10:19 PM
http://www.ole.clarin.com/diario/2006/08/02/um/fotos/scola.jpg

angel_luv
08-02-2006, 10:26 PM
http://www.ole.clarin.com/diario/2006/08/02/um/fotos/scola.jpg

Scola hasn't seen a razor in a while, I see. :lol

Cherry
08-02-2006, 11:18 PM
:madrun I wish I could see this game!

I saw it LIVE :elephant

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-02-2006, 11:22 PM
85-72 final score
Is that all? :lol
We're gonna crush them!

Cherry
08-02-2006, 11:29 PM
Is that all? :lol
We're gonna crush them!

you crack me up! :lol :lol :lol

Spurs#20
08-02-2006, 11:54 PM
Where did you watch the game live???????????/PLEASSSSSEEEEEEEEE TELLLLLLLLLL MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

carina_gino20
08-03-2006, 02:40 AM
These are Argentina's games in Singapore:

August 11 - Argentina vs. Serbia & Montenegro
August 12 - Argentina vs. Slovenia
August 13 - Argentina vs. Spain

Charlotte Hornets? :lol

RonRon93
08-03-2006, 03:56 AM
The first game is on tomorrow night on ESPN2

spurschick
08-03-2006, 06:56 AM
ARG - Argentina cut Tall Blacks down to size

BUENOS AIRES (FIBA World Championship) - Basketball juggernauts Argentina defeated New Zealand in a battle of sides warming up for the FIBA World Championship in Japan.

Led by Luis Scola's 15 points, the South Americans won 85-72.

The Tall Blacks trailed the 2004 Olympic champions 53-40 at half-time but did not allow the hosts to run away with it after the interval.

New Zealand closed to within four points inside the last three minutes but Carlos Delfino hit a three-pointer to extend the Argentina lead before Manu Ginobili converted another three-ball to stretch it further.

Argentina comfortably held on thereafter. Ginobili was impressed with New Zealand, who have taken their lumps on their tour of South America ahead of playing in Group B against Spain, Germany, Panama, Japan and Angola.

He said: “New Zealand are a great team and have the ability to surprise - they did it to us - but we managed to correct our mistakes to secure the victory.

“We have only been working together for nine days and we have much to improve. But we are playing well and this is very important for the team.”

kolko
08-03-2006, 07:34 AM
The article is wrong. Scola scored 15 points in the first quarter alone.

http://www.ole.clarin.com/diario/2006/08/03/fotos/35a.jpg

diego
08-03-2006, 09:38 AM
I only saw the second half, but was unimpressed. They tried to show off too much for the home crowd.

Also, our small ball experiment got killed, NZ had a 10-0 run on them.

The good thing is is that they are playing hard and fast, especially on D.

cheguevara
08-03-2006, 09:48 AM
like I said:

Luis Scola will be the MVP of this team. he's a man on a mission.

fucking Spurs slacking for not getting him this year. Put it this way, he is better than Nocioni, and who wouldn't want Nocioni on the Spurs?

angel_luv
08-03-2006, 10:08 AM
These are Argentina's games in Singapore:

August 11 - Argentina vs. Serbia & Montenegro
August 12 - Argentina vs. Slovenia
August 13 - Argentina vs. Spain

Sho, Beno, Gino, and Fabri play each other on my birthday!!!!!

Whoooooooosh! :fro :elephant

Mr. Body
08-03-2006, 10:16 AM
like I said:

fucking Spurs slacking for not getting him this year. Put it this way, he is better than Nocioni, and who wouldn't want Nocioni on the Spurs?

Listen for the chorus of "But they said he can't play next to Duncan!" Really, he's still way too expensive. Of course he could play with Ducan - that's just the line.

Scola is probably going to be a nice player in this league, but there are suspicions he is too undersized for his position. In a spread-out offense he would be devastating as an inside scorer.

cheguevara
08-03-2006, 10:27 AM
Can't play next to Duncan? Anyone playing next to Duncan looks even better. Look at Nazr. And wasn't that slovenian statue that brought NIL to the playoffs the past 2 years more expensive that Scola's contract?

If Spurs really wanted Scola they would have spend the $$. They just messed up IMO.

Mr. Body
08-03-2006, 10:34 AM
That was the line the Spurs fed the media for their non-interest in signing him -- he couldn't play next to Duncan. They would need the ball in the same spots.

Meanwhile, we sign Jackie Butler, who on offense needs the ball in those places, too. Supposedly. Either they think Butler is far smarter and more adaptable than Scola, or they were spinning a yarn.

Scola was just too expensive this year - for anybody. They managed to get two serviceable centers with the same money, which was most likely the correct decision. I still wish they'll try to sign him next year, provided his buy-out actually goes down, but it looks very unlikely. He'll play somewhere else.

waly.mg
08-03-2006, 11:59 AM
What is really Expensive?

For 3 years 12 millions, Scola was signed yet

But RC and POP only want cheaper contracts, so we have the cheaper players

If i make a Choice Between IRK and Scola, I Sign Scola, because his performance by dollar is better than too many NBA players

With 4 millions a year, is cheaper than Others with 15 millions a year, because if he´s not the same player, is cheaper and we can sign him without Pay Luxury Tax

I saw Scola many times, Scola is better than Elson, than Buttler and Bonner

He is listed yeasterday with the same height of Fabricio, he scored from everywhere, inside, outside, from the FT line, under the basket, from 15 feet, a lot of different places

If i´m wrong tell me a player who POP was signed for Full MLE

The last big money for a player is Rasho, all the others big contracts were Spurs Players

The Scola Value actually is between 5-7 millions a year in the Free Agency, but sa he was drafted the Spurs not offered more than Half MLE, this is a Stupid thing, With Scola in the Team we have a Championship Team for a MLE

In Argentina he is a better PF than Nocioni, and Nocioni played really good last year as PF

picnroll
08-03-2006, 12:11 PM
Looking forward to seeing how Scola does at both ends of the floor should USA and Argentina meet.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-03-2006, 12:21 PM
Sho, Beno, Gino, and Fabri play each other on my birthday!!!!!

Whoooooooosh! :fro :elephant
Looks like we both got special birthdays! :)

waly.mg
08-03-2006, 12:22 PM
That was the line the Spurs fed the media for their non-interest in signing him -- he couldn't play next to Duncan. They would need the ball in the same spots.

Meanwhile, we sign Jackie Butler, who on offense needs the ball in those places, too. Supposedly. Either they think Butler is far smarter and more adaptable than Scola, or they were spinning a yarn.

Scola was just too expensive this year - for anybody. They managed to get two serviceable centers with the same money, which was most likely the correct decision. I still wish they'll try to sign him next year, provided his buy-out actually goes down, but it looks very unlikely. He'll play somewhere else.

Scola plays isn´t with the back to the Board, he shoot in front of the Basket in too many shapes

We want won the Championship again, so we are not talking about the Money, because the difference between to sign or not to sign may be 2 millions a years, 2 Millions are not money if you want to go for the Ring

With Scola in the Court, Pop don´t need to use TD 40 minutes a game

angel_luv
08-03-2006, 12:31 PM
Looks like we both got special birthdays! :)

Happy upcoming birthday. :)

waly.mg
08-03-2006, 12:35 PM
I only saw the second half, but was unimpressed. They tried to show off too much for the home crowd.

Also, our small ball experiment got killed, NZ had a 10-0 run on them.

The good thing is is that they are playing hard and fast, especially on D.

The problem is that

The First 26 Points of the Kiwis are: 8 threes and a basket

Probaly atempted 40 3 Pointers yesterday

diego
08-03-2006, 12:51 PM
yes i know the NZ shot almost as many threes as 2 pters. But the 3rd quarter when we went small, we got lost on offense and defence, it doesnt matter it they were threes or twos, fact is they scored 10 points and we had no answer. Im really nervous about Oveja coaching because he does crazy stuff, en cambio Magnano's system worked.

I even saw Hermann pull up for a transition 3. I guarantee you that would have never happened with Magnano. And small ball is no good. We already saw what happened to the spurs with it. We're the olympic champs and we should make other teams adapt to us and not the other way around.

manu
08-03-2006, 01:26 PM
Where did you watch the game live???????????/PLEASSSSSEEEEEEEEE TELLLLLLLLLL MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes please, i wanna know too!!!!!!!!
i wanna watch argentina vs slovenia the 11th!!!!!!!
WHERE DID U SEE THESE GAMES???!!!!!!!!!!

batman2883
08-03-2006, 01:31 PM
blah

Doug Collins
08-03-2006, 02:28 PM
What is really Expensive?

For 3 years 12 millions, Scola was signed yet

But RC and POP only want cheaper contracts, so we have the cheaper players

If i make a Choice Between IRK and Scola, I Sign Scola, because his performance by dollar is better than too many NBA players

With 4 millions a year, is cheaper than Others with 15 millions a year, because if he´s not the same player, is cheaper and we can sign him without Pay Luxury Tax

I saw Scola many times, Scola is better than Elson, than Buttler and Bonner

He is listed yeasterday with the same height of Fabricio, he scored from everywhere, inside, outside, from the FT line, under the basket, from 15 feet, a lot of different places

If i´m wrong tell me a player who POP was signed for Full MLE

The last big money for a player is Rasho, all the others big contracts were Spurs Players

The Scola Value actually is between 5-7 millions a year in the Free Agency, but sa he was drafted the Spurs not offered more than Half MLE, this is a Stupid thing, With Scola in the Team we have a Championship Team for a MLE

In Argentina he is a better PF than Nocioni, and Nocioni played really good last year as PF

First of all Nocioni plays SF in the NBA and is about a billion times more athletic than Scola. Scola's game will not translate well to the NBA especially with the more athletic PFs the NBA can throw at him. Just look at what Peitrus did to him in the Spanish League Finals. I mean Malik Rose would own this guy in the paint. I understand that he's your boy and all but please stop saying that he is somehow better than Elson, Butler, and Bonner when he has never played in the NBA and probably never will. I've watched Scola play a lot when I lived in Spain over the past 2 summers, and he's a nice player but I dont see him being a 5-7 million dollar a year player here. For about 2-3 million I would say give him a shot but nothing more than that.

Kori Ellis
08-03-2006, 02:50 PM
Looks like Amare won't be making the trip.

Delayed takeoff for Amaré

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Aug. 3, 2006 12:00 AM

LAS VEGAS - Amaré Stoudemire was accustomed to flying when he put on the NBA's most dynamic aerial displays before two knee surgeries.

He was the show's most fearless pilot but he probably won't make the next major flight. Stoudemire likely will not be among the 12 players of this week's 15 USA Basketball campers to get tickets to the World Championship.

Tonight's exhibition game against Puerto Rico, to be shown live on ESPN2 at 8, appears to be Stoudemire's final major test in his summer comeback program. It kicked into gear with his first five-on-five game five weeks ago and continued with lukewarm reviews at the Vegas Summer League and USA Basketball camp.

"Chances are, when we leave at the end of the week, that would probably be the end of it and that we wouldn't take him on the trip because he's just not physically far enough long," said USA Basketball senior men's team managing director Jerry Colangelo, who is also the Suns' chief executive officer and chairman. "But this was good for him. He did play up."

Stoudemire may have missed USA Basketball's exhibition tour in Korea and China and World Championship competition in Japan anyway. His first son (second child) is due in about a week. Family considerations aside, Stoudemire did not progress enough to help a team going for gold.

The Suns All-Star even sat out Wednesday's practice with a sore hip, which was unrelated to his knee troubles.

Stoudemire's lag continues to have more to do with a lack of his trademark explosiveness on the court. Healthwise, he has no swelling or pain in his surgically repaired knees.

"It is frustrating," Stoudemire said. "It's tough to take a back seat when you're used to being in the front seat. It's a matter of willpower. It's more of a mental thing when you know you're the head of your class and a knee surgery sets you back. I will be back to the head of the class."

Stoudemire had one standout day, the final intrasquad scrimmage of the camp's first week here, but is usually tentative to let go on the court. That is why he is playing this summer. The Suns would have a perplexing situation if he were going through these awkward stages, which he puts at 70 percent, during training camp in Europe.

"People have delusions if they think he's going to be 100 percent in October," Colangelo said. "In all likelihood, it's going to take him longer than that but as long as he's progressing and moving forward, it just takes time. It's not for lack of effort.

"He was given clearance. Now, it's a mental thing in my opinion."

For example, Stoudemire tried windmill dunks in practice to see how high he can get as he jumps from outside the paint.

"But as far as in traffic, I'm not comfortable yet," he said.

With Shawn Marion out of the mix due to knee pain and Stoudemire likely heading home for good, the Suns' ties to the team will lie with Colangelo, assistant coach Mike D'Antoni and the ties to guard Joe Johnson, who has played like a superstar in Las Vegas.

Now, Stoudemire will leave knowing what he needs to play like a star again.

"He's still got a lot of work to do in the weight room," D'Antoni said. "To get his pop back, he's got a ways to go. This has been great for him just to show him where he's at and the work he's got to do."

http://www.azcentral.com/php-bin/clicktrack/print.php?referer=http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0803amare0803.html

angel_luv
08-03-2006, 02:52 PM
Tonight's exhibition game against Puerto Rico, to be shown live on ESPN2 at 8,

Is this another time change?

Kori Ellis
08-03-2006, 02:52 PM
Is this another time change?

No. They are Pacific time.

angel_luv
08-03-2006, 02:53 PM
No. They are Pacific time.

Oh duh! :lol

Kori Ellis
08-03-2006, 02:55 PM
Actually Arizona is Mountain time, but doesn't do Daylight Savings time, so they are equal to Pacific time right now. But you get what I mean. :lol

angel_luv
08-03-2006, 02:57 PM
Actually Arizona is Mountain time, but doesn't do Daylight Savings time, so they are equal to Pacific time right now. But you get what I mean. :lol

Well I did, but now I am lost hehehe :)

Rick Von Braun
08-03-2006, 03:10 PM
First of all Nocioni plays SF in the NBA and is about a billion times more athletic than Scola.
True, I think Nocioni is much more athletic than Scola... having said that, Nocioni played as many if not more minutes as PF than SF in the last part of the season and during the playoffs. I can tell you haven't seen many Bulls' games.

Scola's game will not translate well to the NBA especially with the more athletic PFs the NBA can throw at him. Just look at what Peitrus did to him in the Spanish League Finals. I mean Malik Rose would own this guy in the paint. I understand that he's your boy and all but please stop saying that he is somehow better than Elson, Butler, and Bonner when he has never played in the NBA and probably never will.
Well, the jury is out there. I think Scola is already better than Elson and Bonner will ever be. Butler has more upside because he is young... but you never know.

I've watched Scola play a lot when I lived in Spain over the past 2 summers, and he's a nice player but I dont see him being a 5-7 million dollar a year player here. For about 2-3 million I would say give him a shot but nothing more than that.
I think your numbers are off... Someone suggested 12M/3years or about 4M/year, which is closer to 2M than 7M. Scola is already a poor man version of Elton Brand, and still has room for improvement. He has been continuosly and steadily improving his game in the last couple of years. Don't be naive about the FO version that he is not ready... that is all FO/agent negotiation talk.

waly.mg
08-03-2006, 03:45 PM
Nocioni played a lot of minutes as PF

He was the Max Scorer and Max Rebounder of the Bulls in the PO
11º in the NBA in Points and 11º in Rebounds in the Playoffs

And Scola get in the Tau more Rebounds and More Points when both played in Spain

So if Nocioni can play so good in the NBA Scola Too

spurschick
08-04-2006, 05:43 PM
Record Media registration for FIBA World Championship

GENEVA, Switzerland (FIBA World Championship) - A record number of over 1.900 media from more than 60 countries has been accredited for the 2006 FIBA World Championship in Japan. This number does not include the Host Broadcast staff and the total number of accredited media is expected to reach 2.500 for the coverage of the most prestigious basketball title in the world.

This number represents a new record for FIBA competition and demonstrates the huge interest not only from media of the 24 participating countries, but also from countries and regions from all over the world.

“The growth of media interest reflects the increased attention in international basketball across the world,” said FIBA Secretary General Patrick Baumann.

The biggest media contingents outside Japan come from Argentina, Brazil, China, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Nigeria, USA, Turkey, Serbia & Montenegro, Spain, and Venezuela.

spurschick
08-04-2006, 05:46 PM
ITA - Losing skid ends as Italy upset France in Berlin

BERLIN (FIBA World Championship) - Italy snapped their five-game losing streak with a 79-65 victory over France on Friday at the Supercup in Germany as both sides resumed their preparations for the FIBA World Championship in Japan.

France led at half-time, but the Azzurri pulled away after the break when Gianluca Basile, who finished with 15 points, and Marco Belinelli (14) fuelled a 22-5 run for a decisive 57-44 lead.

The French never got closer than seven points the rest of the way.

"We did not play well in the last couple of games so this was an important win against a strong team," Basile said. "It will give us a lot of confidence."

The first half was evenly balanced. A three-pointer from Belinelli gave Italy a 16-12 lead before Tony Parker, who had eight points in the first 10 minutes, cut that to 16-14 at the end of the first quarter.

Joseph Gomis then hit a nice jumper off the dribble to make it 28-22 for Les Bleus but the Azzurri restored parity on a three-pointer from Andrea Pecile at 35-35.

France, beaten in their previous game by Greece in the Acropolis Tournament, took a 37-35 lead into the break following Boris Diaw´s nice low post move.

But Italy took over early in the third as Belinelli and Basile got hot from the arc and a three-ball from the latter capped the decisive 22-5 run.

A 7-0 burst from the French kept them close, but Basile´s long three-pointer saw Italy take a 60-51 at the end of the third period.

After France pulled to within seven at 62-55, Angelo Gigli beat the clock with a long three-pointer and Carlo Recalcati's team never looked back.

Parker led all French scorers with 14 points, while Florent Pietrus added 10.

Denis Marconato and Fabio De Bella each had 10 points for Italy, who will meet the winner of Germany's game against Turkey on Saturday.

France had defeated China, Senegal and Lithuania in the Strasbourg event and Italy and Croatia in Athens, but the loss to Greece and now to the Italians have set alarm bells ringing.

"At the moment I am more worried about us than other teams," French coach Claude Bergeaud said.

"But today we were very tired and could not focus on the game plan. We have to rebuild from zero."

Pietrus also expressed concern.

It scares me that we´re not in rhythm yet," he said. "We have to improve, otherwise we're not going very far. We need to improve as a team."

spurschick
08-04-2006, 05:48 PM
SLO - Lebanese lose to Slovenians

MARIBOR (FIBA World Championship) - Slovenia routed Lebanon on Friday in a pre-FIBA World Championship friendly.

Beno Udrih had 17 points and Bostjan Nachbar and Uros Slokar scored 12 apiece as the Slovenians romped to a 114-53 triumph in Maribor.

Jaka Lakovic of Slovenia said: "It seems we will have to wait until the tournament in Singapore to know how much we are worth. It was evident we are a lot better then Lebanon.

"We are happy for the win. We are playing better then we were. I hope we will continue like this."

Team-mate Nachbar warned: "We are still making a lot of mistakes. In tougher games, we can not afford to lose as many balls as we did today."

Lebanon's players are not at their best and it is understandable why. The political conflict back home in the Middle East has disrupted their preparations as many of the players fear for the safety of relatives and friends.

waly.mg
08-04-2006, 09:15 PM
i saw Scola playing this week vs Brazil

Scola was the Better player in the Tournament

The Tournament included players Like Manu, Nocioni, Barbosa and Varejao

Look at Barbosa, he signed a 5 years 32 millions contract, Manu 52 Millions, Nocioni is ggoing to sign a new contract next year, more than full MLE, probably not less than 30 millions and 5 years, Varejao probably 25-30 millions, or Full MLE

And everyone is saying That Scola´s not a 10 millions, 3 years player

Scola right now is a 15 millions - 3 years player

But Rc and Pop will never are going to offer a Full MLE to him, and in that way Scola never will play in the NBA

Scola is not a poor version of Elton Brand, his game is like Nowitzki without the threes

He have a very good shot from 15-18´, and a very good moves in the paint

Rick Von Braun
08-04-2006, 11:33 PM
Scola is not a poor version of Elton Brand, his game is like Nowitzki without the threes

He have a very good shot from 15-18´, and a very good moves in the paint

I disagree here... Scola's game has very little in common with Nowitzki and much more in common with Brand.

Nowitzki is a finesse player, he plays from the perimeter, his game is away from the paint. He is very capable of dribbling the ball like a guard, and has a lot of range. Au contraire, Scola main strength is playing with his back to the basket and only recently he has added a 15' shot (18' is still a strech, he doesn't shoot so near the international 3pt line). Scola is a much tougher defender than Nowitzki will ever be --not saying much here--, and I think a better rebounder... the last point is IMHO and it is debatable.

Scola doesn't have the atheltic ability of Elton Brand, but he is faster than him in the open court and has more post moves than Brand in the paint. Scola is a worse rebounder and shot blocker than Brand, although he has steadlily improved his numbers, positioning and timing in the last 3 years. Like Brand he is undersized with long arms and stocky sturdy body... Nowitzki body type is completely different.

Nikos
08-04-2006, 11:34 PM
I disagree here... Scola's game has very little in common with Nowitzki and much more in common with Brand.

Nowitzki is a finesse player, he plays from the perimeter, his game is away from the paint. He is very capable of dribbling the ball like a guard, and has a lot of range. Au contraire, Scola main strength is playing with his back to the basket and only recently he has added a 15' shot (18' is still a strech, he doesn't shoot so near the international 3pt line). Scola is a much tougher defender than Nowitzki will ever be --not saying much here--, and I think a better rebounder... the last point is IMHO and it is debatable.

Scola doesn't have the atheltic ability of Elton Brand, but he is faster than him in the open court and has more post moves than Brand in the paint. Scola is a worse rebounder and shot blocker than Brand, although he has steadlily improved his numbers, positioning and timing in the last 3 years. Like Brand he is undersized with long arms and stocky sturdy body... Nowitzki body type is completely different.

You must upset Scola is not coming? You make it sound like your almost certain he could be an excellent player in this league for the Spurs.

Rick Von Braun
08-04-2006, 11:42 PM
You must upset Scola is not coming? You make it sound like your almost certain he could be an excellent player in this league for the Spurs.

I don't get easily upset by things like these... Whatever the owner/FO decide is fine with me, it is not my money.

I do believe he will be a good player if he ever joins the league. I'd rather have him for the money being paid to Elson+Bonner, but that is just my opinion. :drunk

hendrix
08-05-2006, 10:36 AM
The match Argentina-Lithuania will be televised free open-air in a lot of cities of Argentina.
This have got to say something about the increasing interest on the NT.

waly.mg
08-05-2006, 10:54 AM
LIKE WHEN IN THE FIRST SEASONS OF MANU we compared him with Kobe, T-Mac and others, it´s not justice

I can say that Scola is a very good player, who can play in good level in the NBA, and he can play better than others like Bonner, Elson, Butler, Songaila, Varejao and others

But he´s not a player like Brand or Nowitzki, but for the right money he can be excelent for the Spurs

So Many players Like Melo, IRK, Brand, Marion and other are better than Scola, but are too far more expensive, those players are over the 10 millions a year

So we can have a played with some things of this players, for the half of the money or less

With this team: TP-Manu-BB- Scola and TD, we can win a Championship for a 65 millions roster

If we have IRK, Brand or other Big names in the NBA, but probably we needs over than 5 millions more, and we must to pay Luxury Tax for the same money

So, we can have a better team with Scola without pay the luxury tax

waly.mg
08-05-2006, 11:48 AM
Argentina - Lituania en Vivo Flash

http://competiciones.feb.es/netcasting/

orhe
08-05-2006, 12:34 PM
is it going now? (arg-lithuania game)

orhe
08-05-2006, 12:34 PM
tsk dmn slovenians beating the lebanese have some heart!!!

Pero
08-05-2006, 12:58 PM
tsk dmn slovenians beating the lebanese have some heart!!!

We`re not the ones you should be telling to have some heart....
Besides, the difference in quality is too great, our third unit would still beat them.

kolko
08-05-2006, 01:07 PM
End of game

Argentina 88 - Lithuania 87

Lithuania was leading most of the game but with 20 seconds left, Manu scored the game-winning layup!

kolko
08-05-2006, 01:10 PM
Stats:

Ginobili 18 pts
Scola 16 pts 3 rebs
Nocioni 24 pts 8 rebs, 14-17 FT
Delfino 21 pts 5 rebs, 4-9 3pt

Macijauskas 19 pts
Javtokas 7 pts 5 rebs
Kleiza 13 pts
Songaila 10 pts 6 rebs

waly.mg