View Full Version : Matt Bonner On The Move

Kori Ellis
07-10-2006, 02:30 PM
July 10, 2006
Matt Bonner On The Move
Roven Yau, spurs.com contributor

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/bwb_bonner_060710.html

http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/bwb_bonner_300.jpg

While many NBA players are enjoying a relaxing off-season, San Antonio Spurs forward Matt Bonner has been busy circling the world as an ambassador for the game he loves. The Red Rocket recently completed a whirlwind trip through China and Florida, with no plans of slowing down anytime soon.

Bonner was one of five players selected to represent the NBA at the Basketball Without Borders program in Asia. He traveled to Shanghai, China, where the group conducted a three-day coaching clinic for the local children. The camp focused on skill development, promoted friendships through basketball and fostered good sportsmanship techniques.

“After my rookie year I saw a couple features on NBA TV about them going over there and how they helped the kids in the communities,” Bonner said. “That really struck a core with me. Just the fact that as an NBA player you are in a position to help those in need, I wanted to take advantage of that. So I contacted the league office and did anything they wanted.”

As the lone NBA player from his home state of New Hampshire, Bonner was well educated in the challenges of succeeding in an environment where basketball resources are limited. During the harsh winter months, he would practice dribbling drills for hours in the family’s basement and showed an early interested in passing along his enthusiasm for the game.

“He was really good about letting us be around him and tag along,” Bonner’s younger sister Becky said. “We were really competitive, all of us (their younger brother included), and that will never die. He’s always been our basketball hero.”

Bonner’s persistence earned him a scholarship at the University of Florida, a school which was known for its football prowess, but not its basketball program.

“When I committed to Florida, everyone was wondering ‘why are you going there?’ They had not made the tournament in six years and I was getting recruited by teams that people in New Hampshire were more familiar with like Kansas, UConn and Boston College,” Bonner said.

He silenced the critics during his freshman season in 1999-00 when the Gators reach their first national championship game and laid the foundation for the program’s future success as 2006 National Champions. More importantly, Bonner earned Verizon Academic All-American of the Year honors for two straight seasons, was a First Team Academic All-American for three consecutive years and graduated on time.

Each summer Bonner returns to Gainesville, where he preaches to more than 500 kids the importance of education, as well as fundamental basketball skills hoping in influence a new generation of players.

“I think the things that I say and the lessons I try to teach the kids are to make them not only better basketball players,” Bonner said, “but better in the classroom and better in life.”

texbumTHElife
07-10-2006, 02:33 PM
This wins the award for misleading topic of the week! LOL

Kori Ellis
07-10-2006, 02:34 PM
True ... I thought when I went on spurs.com that he was getting traded :)

timvp
07-10-2006, 02:34 PM
Oh no not Bonner!!!!!!!!!!

boutons_
07-10-2006, 02:35 PM
"China and Florida"

limiting himself to politically primitive, undemocratic areas? :lol

Spurs9
07-10-2006, 02:36 PM
That just made my pants hard.

angel_luv
07-10-2006, 02:43 PM
True ... I thought when I went on spurs.com that he was getting traded :)

Me too. And I actually felt badly about it.

I guess he is all right. :angel :lol

SpursWoman
07-10-2006, 02:49 PM
That just made my pants hard.

Too much starch will do that. :wtf

boutons_
07-10-2006, 02:49 PM
I still miss Damir Markota! :lol

Mr. Body
07-10-2006, 02:50 PM

Yeah, whatever happend to him? :depressed :lol

angel_luv
07-10-2006, 02:50 PM
He should be glad he got to be a Spur for a day. :lol

Mr. Body
07-10-2006, 02:51 PM
He should be glad he got to be a Spur for a day. :lol

Not even. Long enough to get the Spurs cap ripped out of his hands.

Phenomanul
07-10-2006, 02:52 PM
Me too. And I actually felt badly about it.

I guess he is all right. :angel :lol

Truly one to root for an underdog... :spin

polandprzem
07-10-2006, 02:57 PM
"You don't fool me"

Kori had a history with that kind of topics.

angel_luv
07-10-2006, 03:03 PM
Truly one to root for an underdog... :spin

I come by it naturally; it is a family trait. :)

I'll root for Matt but just so you all know, he isn't replacing anybody.

Dre_7
07-10-2006, 03:05 PM
Matt Bonner is just a scrub. He will not do anything for the Spurs. He is just a scrub that they got for one year in exchange for getting rid of Rasho's contract. The people that are all over his nuts are delusional.

angel_luv
07-10-2006, 03:09 PM
Matt Bonner is just a scrub. He will not do anything for the Spurs. He is just a scrub that they got for one year in exchange for getting rid of Rasho's contract. The people that are all over his nuts are delusional.

Give the kid a chance. Why are you being mean?

spurs_2108
07-10-2006, 03:23 PM
Misleading is correct.

ShoogarBear
07-10-2006, 03:41 PM
"The Red Rocket"?

Damn, he went to the wrong team!

polandprzem
07-10-2006, 03:44 PM
"The Red Rocket"?

Damn, he went to the wrong team!

The spurs will fix that.

Dre_7
07-10-2006, 09:10 PM
Give the kid a chance. Why are you being mean?

Not being mean, just callin it like I see it. I dont think he will be any good for the Spurs.

LakerHater
07-10-2006, 09:16 PM
he'll be a white Horry, hopefully

exstatic
07-10-2006, 09:18 PM
Sillies. He can't "move" until 21 July, just like Williams.

furry_spurry
07-10-2006, 09:28 PM
I'll root for Matt but just so you all know, he isn't replacing anybody.
I'm guessing you never even heard of "anybody" before he joined the Spurs.

TDMVPDPOY
07-10-2006, 11:15 PM
yi jianlian 4 bonner, lets do it

SequNets
07-10-2006, 11:19 PM
The question is will angelluv be a bonner stalker?

angel_luv
07-11-2006, 08:38 AM
I'm guessing you never even heard of "anybody" before he joined the Spurs.

That is true.

The question is will angelluv be a bonner stalker?

She will not be. :)

Spurs Dynasty 21
07-11-2006, 11:56 AM
damn, I was hoping the son of a bitch was going to be traded