PDA

View Full Version : spurs dont need much changes....at least not this year

coachmac87
07-10-2006, 09:29 PM
the spurs are going to be ok...just need a big and thats about it..detroit is going to be a different team and dallas was a team we lost by only one point....miami is a team the spurs matchup well against...save the cap room for another year..there is nothing to really shop for this year

ducks
07-10-2006, 09:31 PM
no shit

LakerHater
07-10-2006, 09:32 PM
As long as Miami has Shaq it's gonna be tough for the Spurs to match up against 'em

Phenomanul
07-10-2006, 09:41 PM
Ummm... we matched up 'well' against them becuase we had Rasho.... Until we get that other 'big' - I don't believe we can say we match up well against Miami anymore... granted Shaq will be one year older... which will benefit not only the Spurs, but the league as a whole...

ducks
07-10-2006, 09:47 PM
I would tend to think we should worry more about bulls then ageing shaq

LakerHater
07-10-2006, 09:49 PM
We should worry about whoever has a center

Quadzilla99
07-10-2006, 09:58 PM
Rasho did not much up well with Shaq. The softest big man in the league did not match up well with the most physical.

texlawman
07-10-2006, 10:09 PM
Um Shaq played like an old man in the finals. The Heat won because of Dwayne Wade. I could say officiating too, but I don't want to reopen that can of shite. I'd worry about the Bulls.

SequNets
07-10-2006, 10:13 PM
Ummm... we matched up 'well' against them becuase we had Rasho.... Until we get that other 'big' - I don't believe we can say we match up well against Miami anymore... granted Shaq will be one year older... which will benefit not only the Spurs, but the league as a whole...

Raise the bar.

Rasho couldn't guard Carl Herrera.

SenorSpur
07-10-2006, 10:50 PM
the spurs are going to be ok...just need a big and thats about it..detroit is going to be a different team and dallas was a team we lost by only one point....miami is a team the spurs matchup well against...save the cap room for another year..there is nothing to really shop for this year

I think you have sorely underestimated the situation. Though the Spurs may have lost by a single point to the Mavs, people seem to forget the Mavs "kicked the Spurs ass" throughout the series including one game where they blew us out by 20+ points. Even though it was a great series that was closely matched, the Mavs exposed weaknesses about this team. The Spurs couldn't stay in front of their guards, were slower to the ball, got their "clocks cleaned" on the glass, and generally were exploited by a younger, hungrier team that gave them matchup nightmares.

As far as the conference goes, the top teams (Mavs, Phx) have all gotten better. The up-and-coming teams (LAC, Mem, NOH) are gaining ground fast. As an organization that is contending for a championship, you can never afford to stand still. The competition is too good. Hell, it's not like the Spurs won the championship last year.

I agree that this years FA crop was weak, yet the Spurs do need some tweaks in order keep pace with the competition. Taking the attitude that they "barely lost to the Mavs" as a sign they shouldn't make changes is an attitude that I hope Pop and R.C. don't adopt - this year or any other year in the Duncan era.

Fabbs
07-10-2006, 11:31 PM

Yes and no. If Riley can continue to get the Big Lazy to slim down, he could actually improve.

furry_spurry
07-10-2006, 11:46 PM
Rasho did not much up well with Shaq.
Rasho is one of the best players in the entire NBA at guarding Shaq. Even his critics know that.

People say the Spurs don't need to make changes, but they already have-- they got rid of both centers. I know people are focusing on Dallas, but Rasho did play important minutes against Sacramento, and there are many other teams in the league you have to get past. If you want the best record and home court advantage, someone besides Tim has got to play center. The obsession with comparing everything to Dallas reminds me of this entire past season where all everyone wanted to talk about was matching up with Detroit. Well as it turned out, Detroit didn't make it to the Finals either. Standing pat= moving backward.

Fabbs
07-10-2006, 11:58 PM
Rasho is one of the best players in the entire NBA at guarding Shaq. Even his critics know that.

People say the Spurs don't need to make changes, but they already have-- they got rid of both centers. I know people are focusing on Dallas, but Rasho did play important minutes against Sacramento, and there are many other teams in the league you have to get past. If you want the best record and home court advantage, someone besides Tim has got to play center. The obsession with comparing everything to Dallas reminds me of this entire past season where all everyone wanted to talk about was matching up with Detroit. Well as it turned out, Detroit didn't make it to the Finals either. Standing pat= moving backward.

Thank you. We might not even end up playing Dallas in the playoffs next year. It could be Dallas vs Phx in one semifinal and us vs Clipps in the other. With a 90% Stoudamire who knows if Phx would roll Dirko and Stich. This world-must-revolve-around-Dallas crap that keeps getting spread after Pops *Small Ball* strategy is old. Along with the phony dollar offers to FAs like Mourning.

SenorSpur
07-11-2006, 12:21 AM
The world doesn't revolve around Dallas, but as of now THEY are top dogs in the Western Conference. The fact reamins they are not going anywhere and could very well be getting stronger. Before we all talk about matching with any team in the Eastern Conference, we'd better be able to rule the roost in the West.

Also, I hate Pop's apparent conversion to this "small ball" strategy too. However, the Spurs have to be better equipped to adhere to any style thrown at them.

rascal
07-11-2006, 06:27 AM
I think you have sorely underestimated the situation. Though the Spurs may have lost by a single point to the Mavs, people seem to forget the Mavs "kicked the Spurs ass" throughout the series including one game where they blew us out by 20+ points. Even though it was a great series that was closely matched, the Mavs exposed weaknesses about this team. The Spurs couldn't stay in front of their guards, were slower to the ball, got their "clocks cleaned" on the glass, and generally were exploited by a younger, hungrier team that gave them matchup nightmares.

As far as the conference goes, the top teams (Mavs, Phx) have all gotten better. The up-and-coming teams (LAC, Mem, NOH) are gaining ground fast. As an organization that is contending for a championship, you can never afford to stand still. The competition is too good. Hell, it's not like the Spurs won the championship last year.

I agree that this years FA crop was weak, yet the Spurs do need some tweaks in order keep pace with the competition. Taking the attitude that they "barely lost to the Mavs" as a sign they shouldn't make changes is an attitude that I hope Pop and R.C. don't adopt - this year or any other year in the Duncan era.

Exactly. Every year they need to try to improve. The standing pat attitude will take the spurs right down the road to failure.

TDMVPDPOY
07-11-2006, 06:55 AM
if we are not goin to get a center, we should either look for a backup pg or allow barry to run the offense, when scrub is bench

why dont we just call drob and ask him he got game?

Tom_Foolery
07-11-2006, 07:24 AM

we need a big and a backup pg.

why we're dangling beno is beyond me, unless pop has given up on beno. maybe beno just needs to be coached better?

Contrary to popular belief, Gregg Popovich was also responsible for being bumped out of the playoffs as much as any of the members of the team.

If the team needs improvement, so does the coaching.

TDMVPDPOY
07-11-2006, 07:27 AM
we should look at centers nail in a haystack,

looks at brezec, or pachulia who are earnin less then 2.5mill a year, we should be lookin at white scrubs, we dont expect much if they are playin next to td.

furry_spurry
07-11-2006, 09:26 AM
However, the Spurs have to be better equipped to adhere to any style thrown at them.
yes, but any style also includes against teams with a traditional center. You do need one- not two- but one.