PDA

View Full Version : Ariza draws interest from several NBA teams (note about Pop)

Kori Ellis
07-11-2006, 01:41 AM
Magic's Ariza draws interest from several other NBA teams

BY JOHN DENTON
FLORIDA TODAY
http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060711/SPORTS/607110331/1002

MAITLAND - -- Already locked in a heated free-agent contract battle with DeShawn Stevenson, the Orlando Magic could be headed toward another contentious negotiation with small forward Trevor Ariza.

Ariza, a 6-foot-8, 200-pound small forward, is garnering what his agent calls "substantial interest" from several NBA teams, making his return to the Magic anything but a guarantee.

Since Ariza is a restricted free agent, Orlando has the right to match any offer he receives. But Magic general manager Otis Smith continues to insist that he isn't about to overpay.

The Magic acquired Ariza, 21, in February from the New York Knicks in the Steve Francis trade. In 21 games with the Magic, he made quite an impression, showing flashes of star potential at times. He averaged 4.7 points and 3.9 rebounds with Orlando, hitting double-digits in scoring four times.

His play apparently didn't go unnoticed around the NBA. Ariza's agent, David Lee, said Denver, Houston, Sacramento and New York have expressed interest in offering Ariza a contract. Knicks general manager/coach Isiah Thomas also is a big fan and inquired Monday about Ariza's availability, Lee said.

Teams and players can't officially sign deals until Wednesday. If Ariza signs an offer sheet with a team, Orlando would have 10 days to match the offer or allow him to leave.

Lee said he hopes it doesn't come to that because Ariza wants to return to Orlando. Ariza, who played for the NBA minimum last season, likely is seeking a deal worth more than $3 million a season. Stevenson is asking for a deal in excess of $4.5 million a season for five years.

"Otis and I have had a number of conversations, and he's aware of the substantive interest in Trevor," Lee said. "We hope that we can do this without pushing the envelope."

Lee said Ariza has been working out twice a day for the past two months, claiming the 200-pound small forward has added nine pounds of muscle. He also has worked hard to shore up his one glaring weakness -- his wayward jump shot.

Said Lee: "He's a jump shot away from being an All-Star." Gortat a keeper? The Magic have made no secret of their desire to add another big man to their roster before training camp in October. That player, 6-foot-10, 240-pound Polish center Marcin Gortat, might be right under their noses.

Gortat was impressive in his summer-league debut Monday night, scoring 15 points, grabbing seven rebounds and swatting three shots. Gortat, who played professionally in Germany this past season, hopes to impress the Magic enough to get a guaranteed contract.

"That's why I'm here, why I've been working the past 10 months," Gortat said. "This is the moment I've been waiting for. I was determined not to let anybody push me around and be strong with my moves."

Gortat was certainly strong in the fourth quarter, hammering in a thunderous dunk to keep the Magic close before they lost 86-82 to the New Jersey Nets. Gortat said he has one year remaining on his contract in Germany, but the buyout is believed to be within reason if the Magic choose to bring him over to the NBA this season. Short stuff. Indiana small forward Danny Granger, one of the players Orlando passed on in last year's draft to select Fran Vazquez, looked like the best player on the floor at times Monday. He scored 12 points, most coming on strong post-up moves against smaller defenders. . . . Sean May, another player the Magic bypassed, showed off the work he has done this offseason by hitting several jumpers. May's range even extended to the 3-point line, where he made 1-of-2 tries from beyond the arc. May might spend some time at small forward in some situations when he plays alongside Emeka Okafor. Said May, who missed most of his rookie season with a knee injury: "I'm just trying to extend my game and show that I'm not just a back-to-the-basket player."

May's former college teammate, Raymond Felton, made a surprise appearance Monday and played 18 minutes for the Bobcats. Felton, an all-rookie performer this past season, scored nine points and handed out four assists. . . . San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, Indiana All-Star Jermaine O'Neal and Orlando small forward Hedo Turkoglu attended Monday's games.

Kori Ellis
07-11-2006, 01:54 AM
Why would Pop go?

Scouting summer leaguers, talking to free agents, or negotiating trades with other team's management.

Sense
07-11-2006, 01:55 AM
Pop's doin his homework.

tempest186
07-11-2006, 02:10 AM
Lamayn Wilson from the Spurs summer league roster is also on Miami's.

timvp
07-11-2006, 02:22 AM
Ariza, who played for the NBA minimum last season, likely is seeking a deal worth more than $3 million a season.

Sounds like he's too expensive for the Spurs.

:pctoss

MI21
07-11-2006, 02:30 AM
Sounds like he's too expensive for the Spurs.

:pctoss

Agreed, I don't see the Spurs as willing to pony up the minimum contract for a FA!

ChumpDumper
07-11-2006, 02:31 AM
Erik Daniels had a standout streak in the second quarter of Orlando's game. Kinda good news on two points.

1) Pop saw the game, so he could tell if he has any potential.

2) If Daniels continues to impress, it might make it easier for Orlando to let Ariza go.

The bad news is Pop was probably there to work out a Barry for Hedo trade.

timvp
07-11-2006, 02:32 AM

:lol

That's what I was thinking.

Hell, I'd do it. At the very worst Hedo is a good rebounder.

koopa
07-11-2006, 02:33 AM
Erik Daniels had a standout streak in the second quarter of Orlando's game. Kinda good news on two points.

1) Pop saw the game, so he could tell if he has any potential.

2) If Daniels continues to impress, it might make it easier for Orlando to let Ariza go.

i'd take that trade in a sec. and at least our overall age would go down lol

ChumpDumper
07-11-2006, 02:36 AM
Hedo can be in there for defense the first 40 minutes of the game.

We can go with Finley in crunch time.

timvp
07-11-2006, 02:38 AM
That 2003-04 Spurs team was damn good. Without .4, that might have gone down as the best Spurs team ever.

T Park
07-11-2006, 02:39 AM
damn good?!?!?!?

Are we serious?

Better than 02 03?

I disagree.

ChumpDumper
07-11-2006, 02:40 AM
I couldn't just say all is forgiven, but we have gotten 2 shitty postseasons out of 3 from Horry and we're not kicking him to the curb.

And I do feel desperate about this long 3 situation.

Quadzilla99
07-11-2006, 02:40 AM
Hedo killed us in the LA series 2 years ago, I can't be the only one who remembers this.

ChumpDumper
07-11-2006, 02:41 AM
see above

Quadzilla99
07-11-2006, 02:45 AM
We posted those simultaneously, he would have to come out at the end of games like you said. I believe he was the same way in Sac. if I remember correctly.

ChumpDumper
07-11-2006, 02:50 AM
BTW, my 3rd PG choice Aaron Miles had a great game off the bench for Chicago against the Pacers at the Orlando SL.

23:25 min
4/5 FG
11/11 FT
3 REB
5 AST
1 TO
1 STL
2 PF

http://www.nba.com/media/magic/06sl_071006chiind2.jpg

T Park
07-11-2006, 02:56 AM
Sign him up.

Hell of a clutch hitter.

whottt
07-11-2006, 03:37 AM
Hedo killed us with his damn choking...but Hedo is tailor made to guard Dirk.

IF we still needed shooting I'd be hesitant about Hedo...not because he can't shoot, but because he chokes, but it's not the same need for us it used to be with the way the team is changing, and we have better shooting now anyway..

And Hedo choked against the Lakers...lots of our guys choked against the Lakers that didn't really choke against others...Phil Jackson is a genius at isolating the choker.

Taking all that into account...I'd take Hedo back in a heartbeat...he can guard Dirk, he can guard Artest, he can guard Amare, he can guard Bonzi and Lebron.

Hedo's a talented dude...it's just the perimeter choking that sucked.

Bring him back...beats the hell out of the other names I am seeing.

Plus...I miss Taruky and I know Shoogarbear and 50 cent do too...

timvp
07-11-2006, 03:45 AM
Hedo might is a top five player in the league in terms of being able to guard Dirk. Pop used to put him on some players over Bowen and put Bowen on weaker players.

That is how good of a defender Pop thought he was.

ChumpDumper
07-11-2006, 03:46 AM
The one thing we all agree on this summer.... :lmao

whottt
07-11-2006, 03:52 AM
Hedo will never be back in San Antonio. One of my best friends is Hedo's cousin. She says he cares more about the money and thats why he wanted to go to Orlando. She says he was happiest in Sacramento though.

Um..does Hedo have a no trade clause?

If not...it doesn't matter WTF Hedo wants.

Besides...his pay won't change.

IF it's the pressure of contending Hedo is afraid of...we just need him for D and to not be a moron on offense...which he isn't. His D didn't choke...

Hedo has every skill in the book...he's got them all, he's Robert Horry without clutchness. Again...as long as you don't have to count on him knocking down wide open shots down under pressure ...he's a fantastic player to have.

And yeah...I remember the way Pop used Hedo on D...Pop put him on LeBron and Artest over Bowen.

Hedo is a 6'10 dude capable of guarding 90% of the 2 guards in the league....that's exactly what you need to guard Dirk.

timvp
07-11-2006, 03:59 AM
Hedo's remaining contract is only 4-year, $26M. That's about what the Spurs offered Joe Przybilla ... so money shouldn't be a problem.

It comes down to whether Orlando would take Brent Barry in a deal. And I guess they might, seeing as how Barry has a shorter contract and how Hedo was signed by the previous GM. When new GMs take over, they like to put their own stamp on the franchise (See: Ford for Villanueva).

But honestly, I don't think Orlando does it. Hedo was their best player at times last year and I just don't see them getting older as the thing they want to do.

You know it's a bad slow offseason when getting Hedo is a pipe dream.

:lol :(

whottt
07-11-2006, 04:06 AM
I can see Barry having quite a bit of value to the Magic...their guard rotation is non existent.

He's can provide veteran leadership, mentor...and he can knock down shots.

Spurs fans will never admit it...but Barry was our guard rotation in the 05 Finals.

Barry's a good player and had we used him as a combo guard he'd have fit the team a lot better. I can see other teams being interested in him...just like the Spurs were. I will never understand exactly why Pop and RC expected Barry to be some kind of agressive bench scorer though...I don't know what games they were watching because Barry was never that at any point in his career.

Anyway...his deal expires in two years and he gives the Magic exactly what they need...veteran presence and shooting backing at the guard positions. That's the Magic #1 need.

And maybe the Magic realize Hedo isn't exactly about winning...

Say what you will about Barry again...but he came here to win, not get paid.

And I think Barry was about 8-8 on last second game winning and tying shots in his Spurs career.

timvp
07-11-2006, 04:16 AM
Whottt, do you still have any hope for Ariza or is the secret out?

shaggy17
07-11-2006, 04:20 AM
I couldn't just say all is forgiven, but we have gotten 2 shitty postseasons out of 3 from Horry and we're not kicking him to the curb.

And I do feel desperate about this long 3 situation.

I strongly disagree with this on Horry. 04 he was awesome against memphis but he was awful in the Laker series because Phil and that team knew him inside/out. Plus He made up for that in 2005. This year I blame Pop and the coaching staff for playing him too early in the game and not playing him late in the series. I cant even give my 2 cents on Horry's performance simply because Pop used him all wrong in this years playoffs especially late in games on a final possession! Plus dealing Horry (unless it is for someone very awesome) would be a big mistake because his contract isnt long term and Orlando (for example) could buy him out and he could go to another contender. Do you really want to risk that shit on the clutchest role player in the game outside of it being a GREAT deal??? I think not.

ChumpDumper
07-11-2006, 04:24 AM
I never said deal Horry for Hedo, the deal was Barry for Hedo.

I said Horry has only really performed up to his rep in one postseason. One postseason was all Hedo got here.

RIF

whottt
07-11-2006, 04:24 AM
Whottt, do you still have any hope for Ariza or is the secret out?

Well if he's looking for 3+ million that's way more than what the Magic want to pay...unfortunately, it looks like it's way more than the Spurs want to pay as well.

I still think he can be had...and the way this offseason is playing out, the Spurs could gamble part of their MLE on the two week waiting period waiting for the Magic to match, and it likely wouldn't cost us any players we want.

This is the situation where you make a play for a RFA if you ask me...doesn't look like the Spurs are willing to do it though.

Elson...Collins....holy crap....why bother?

shaggy17
07-11-2006, 04:25 AM
I never said deal Horry for Hedo, the deal was Barry for Hedo.

I said Horry has only really performed up to his rep in one postseason.

RIF

it is unfair to judge him this year tho! Pop NEVER used him late in games and had him burnt out before the 4th quarter of games in the playoffs. The 04 series against the Lakers you can say all you want but other then that he produced or was used wrong by Pop

ChumpDumper
07-11-2006, 04:28 AM
Well if he's looking for 3+ million that's way more than what the Magic want to pay...unfortunately, it looks like it's way more than the Spurs want to pay as well.That's a whole lot for a wing without a jumper. I don't see anyone offering that much. That said, if Daniels continues to impress he could make Ariza expendable if all that player has to do is spell Hedo for 12 minutes a game.

ChumpDumper
07-11-2006, 04:29 AM
it is unfair to judge him this year tho! Pop NEVER used him late in games and had him burnt out before the 4th quarter of games in the playoffs. The 04 series against the Lakers you can say all you want but other then that he produced or was used wrong by PopI disagree. Horry admitted he wasn't in any kind of shape to play the way he needed to this offseason and said he would work on his conditioning so he could get minutes next season.

shaggy17
07-11-2006, 04:31 AM
I disagree. Horry admitted he wasn't in any kind of shape to play the way he needed to this offseason and said he would work on his conditioning so he could get minutes next season.

Wait Horry said this after the Mavs series?? If he did then that is his fault
:nope

shaggy17
07-11-2006, 05:04 AM
We dont need a fucking Irk stopper! I hate that it seems like we need someone to stop dirk! Be physical with the bitch and knock him on his ass anytime he drives and he falls apart! Look what Miami did to him with their bigs being physical on him and they didnt really have a long 3 (unless you count Posey). A future 3 is something we need but we dont have to have a long 3 to get back to being champs!

ShoogarBear
07-11-2006, 05:14 AM
The return of the Layup Drill?

Be still my beating heart.

SPARKY
07-11-2006, 07:30 AM
Hedo might is a top five player in the league in terms of being able to guard Dirk. Pop used to put him on some players over Bowen and put Bowen on weaker players.

That is how good of a defender Pop thought he was.

There's your big 3 who can play the 4 against smaller teams and defend out on the perimeter. Looking at what's now available in free agency there are worse options.

exstatic
07-11-2006, 07:51 AM
Hedo had problems coming off the bench when he was here. That being said, we do have a starting spot on the front line open, and he did average 18/8 during long periods replacing CWebb on Sacto's front line...

intlspurshk
07-11-2006, 08:04 AM
Orlando doesn't like Hedo contracts. So a trade may be able to negotiate but other teams may have better offer. Barry alone is not enough to match the salary nor attractive enough given that Orlando is a young team.

SPARKY
07-11-2006, 08:15 AM
You do not want Turkoglu as your top perimeter option on offense. But the Spurs have Parker, Manu, Finley, and Barry for that. You want Hedo to defend, rebound, get out on the break, and yes, be there for the occassional 3. Hedo would make sense for this team in that 'long 3' role who can defend the bigger perimeter players in the league from the 2 to 4 spots. The Spurs have a big gaping hole in their team between the frontcourt and the backcourt. That needs to be addressed. His contract isn't that great, but with Rasho and Rose gone it's doable. He's 27 now and the last 4 years would take him to age 31 so the Spurs wouldn't be stuck paying a guy out of his prime big $. The Spurs have reoriented their cap away from the 5 spot. That by itself is not a bad thing. In today's NBA you can probably get away with starting a Jarron Collins or whoever for 20 minutes a night at the 5.

The reason Hedo received much grief from Spurs fans was due to his less than stellar crunch time perimeter game, but otherwise he would solve the basic issue facing this team.

whottt
07-11-2006, 08:25 AM
We dont need a fucking Irk stopper! I hate that it seems like we need someone to stop dirk! Be physical with the bitch and knock him on his ass anytime he drives and he falls apart! Look what Miami did to him with their bigs being physical on him and they didnt really have a long 3 (unless you count Posey). A future 3 is something we need but we dont have to have a long 3 to get back to being champs!

We did get physical with him...I believe the result was him setting and NBA playoff record for Free Throws or something to that effect...

Dirk or not...our SF rotation averages 6'7...that is too small in todays NBA.

We have a gap in our rotation, it jumps from 6'7 to 6'10...we don't have any mid sized guys, we need them.

It's not just about Dirk, it's about LeBron, and Diaw etc...and getting physical in a mismatch is no substitute for having the right player for the job.

But about Dirk...Pop doesn't trust his C's so we end up guarding Dirk with players 5 inches shorter...and he just shoots over them, and he still gets to the FT line at will. We need someone that will actually get court time...and anyway, saying all we need is physical play doesn't mean we're going to get it.

strangeweather
07-11-2006, 08:30 AM
Spurs fans ready to welcome back Hedo with open arms -- who knew?

SpursWoman
07-11-2006, 08:32 AM
You know it's a bad slow offseason when getting Hedo is a pipe dream.

Yeah, but then taruky would come back. :spin

furry_spurry
07-11-2006, 08:57 AM
Spurs fans wanting Hedo back. :) That Spurs team was the best rebounding team the Spurs ever had- Pop even said so- and Hedo was a big part of that. He was a much better defender than he ever got credit for. I admit that I laugh a little whenever people ask why we can't find a long 3! We had one, but Spurs fans were destined to hate him forever because he started and Manu came off the bench.

furry_spurry
07-11-2006, 09:02 AM
it is unfair to judge him this year tho! Pop NEVER used him late in games and had him burnt out before the 4th quarter of games in the playoffs.
I keep hearing this claim, but Rob only averaged 17 minutes per game in the play-offs in 2006- and even less against Dallas 15.9. Personally, I think Horry played too little to get into a rhythm- just like all the big men not named Duncan.

50 cent
07-11-2006, 09:18 AM
Plus...I miss Taruky and I know Shoogarbear and 50 cent do too...
:lmao

I was thinking of Taruky when I started reading this thread and Hedo. Those were some good times. I wonder if he is on an Orlando Magic board right now?

Notorious H.O.P.
There are a article two or three days ago that quoted Orlando's GM that said they couldn't do much because they weren't willing to trade their most desirable players. He mentioned two or three players specifically including Nelson and Hedo.

I take that to mean that Barry for Hedo is a no go.

SPARKY
At this point Horry is not going to be useful at the 3.

Phenomanul
07-11-2006, 12:52 PM
With Finley around, Hedo's faults aren't as exposed.... or as hindering...

jman3000
07-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Pop used him all wrong in this years playoffs especially late in games on a final possession!
I thought the way Pop used him as a decoy in the Barry Bounce game was genius.

Slinkyman
07-11-2006, 01:07 PM
i would take hedo back, but would he come off the bench? would he have a problem with that?

mookie2001
07-11-2006, 08:50 PM
Post 2 and 3 of this thread

Why would Pop go?
Scouting summer leaguers, talking to free agents, or negotiating trades with other team's management.
ROFL

Mr. Body
07-13-2006, 02:56 PM
Related somewhat to the Spurs... since once Butler gets matched, the Spurs could try for Ariza still.

Orlando has let Stevenson walk and signed Keith Bogans. Stevenson asking for 4 years at $4M while Orlando only wanted to give 3.

Link. (http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/41504/20060713/magic_sign_bogans_let_stevenson_walk/)

Spurologist
07-13-2006, 03:18 PM
The Return Of The Hedo

T
H
A
T

I
S

A
L
L

Beer is Good
07-13-2006, 03:43 PM
Is there really any chance that Hedo would be coming back? The deal could make sense for both teams, but for some reason I don't see it happening.

timvp
07-13-2006, 05:37 PM
With Stevenson out of the picture, Barry for Hedo makes more sense for them.

Although it's still a huge longshot, IMO.

angel_luv
07-13-2006, 05:43 PM
:lol

That's what I was thinking.

Hell, I'd do it. At the very worst Hedo is a good rebounder.

Hedo? I love Hedo! :elephant

I am all for the deal except for two concerns:

1) Hedo is doing so well in Orlando; maybe he is best off staying there.
2) I would really miss Brent.

Mr. Body
07-13-2006, 05:59 PM
Hedoyet still wants to start, does he not?

furry_spurry
07-13-2006, 06:04 PM
Magic aren't trading Hedo. He was the second best guy on the team most of last season. Spurs should have chosen him over Barry 2 years ago- but Hedo got a six-year deal and Barry took only four.

Sound familiar?

Cant_Be_Faded
07-13-2006, 06:05 PM
damn good?!?!?!?

Are we serious?

Better than 02 03?

I disagree.

Dude they were fucking good. We were deep, had a long rebounding small forward, we had it all. Our motion offense was still fresh, teams weren't used to it. Tony did not have his new jumpshooting form but was still very very un-gunshy and extremely streaky (he was seriously 70% threes for hte memhpis series, totally decimated them with his three ball)

That .4 affected the spurs much like punching a man in the diaphragm with him not flexing his abs. It totally knocked the wind out of them and left them convulsing and gasping for air. By the time we regained composure, our season was over.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-13-2006, 06:08 PM
Hedo killed us with his damn choking...but Hedo is tailor made to guard Dirk.

IF we still needed shooting I'd be hesitant about Hedo...not because he can't shoot, but because he chokes, but it's not the same need for us it used to be with the way the team is changing, and we have better shooting now anyway..

And Hedo choked against the Lakers...lots of our guys choked against the Lakers that didn't really choke against others...Phil Jackson is a genius at isolating the choker.

Taking all that into account...I'd take Hedo back in a heartbeat...he can guard Dirk, he can guard Artest, he can guard Amare, he can guard Bonzi and Lebron.

Hedo's a talented dude...it's just the perimeter choking that sucked.

Bring him back...beats the hell out of the other names I am seeing.

Plus...I miss Taruky and I know Shoogarbear and 50 cent do too...The hedo choking factor is exagerrated. If you replace hedo's playoff performance with Manu's, you have half of us sucking manu's balls and saying how he's still a hustler.

Hedo hit big shots for us. He hit a game winner against Sactown (his former team if memory serves) with a hand in his face. Regular season, yes, but ask yourself this.

If we were depending on Hedo fucking Turkoglu to clutch shoot us over the Lakers, then that tells us we're fucking up somewhere else, ie, hardheaded coaches unwilling to change strategy, no other players hitting outside shots either, ie, horry.

I did not like hedo that much, but he is a blatant scapegoat for that 04 loss. We had other jumpshooters on that team too. Parker was on fire for the first 6 games of the playoffs. He choked, in a sense too, cuz his jumper fell flat for the remaining 4 games. Where was manu's jump shooting? Horry's? That 04 team was fucking awesome man, we just completely lost all morale after that .04 debauchery.

angel_luv
07-13-2006, 06:10 PM
Magic aren't trading Hedo. He was the second best guy on the team most of last season. Spurs should have chosen him over Barry 2 years ago- but Hedo got a six-year deal and Barry took only four.

Sound familiar?

Ah I thought so. It was a happy thought though- Hedo coming back, not trading Brent. :)

furry_spurry
07-13-2006, 06:13 PM
Dude they were fucking good. We were deep, had a long rebounding small forward, we had it all. Our motion offense was still fresh, teams weren't used to it. Tony did not have his new jumpshooting form but was still very very un-gunshy and extremely streaky (he was seriously 70% threes for hte memhpis series, totally decimated them with his three ball)
Main thing about that team- they blew teams out like the Spurs should have been doing down the stretch this season but did not do.

Look at how that season ended:

MAR
Thu 25 Detroit W 84 - 75
Sat 27 Phoenix W 105 - 76
Mon 29 Cleveland W 101 - 93
Wed 31 Sacramento W 107 - 89

APR
Fri 2 @ Utah W 94 - 81
Sun 4 @ L.A. Lakers W 95 - 89
Wed 7 Seattle W 96 - 75
Fri 9 Portland W 84 - 74
Sun 11 @ L.A. Clippers W 88 - 79
Mon 12 @ Portland W 78 - 66
Wed 14 Denver W 93 - 67

Those were the days. That team did not whine about how it could not play on back-to-back nights.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-13-2006, 06:16 PM
parker could jack up his ugly jumper all night and we had the personel to get some of those rebounds.