PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets' Elson has appeal for Spurs

Kori Ellis
07-11-2006, 01:43 AM
Nuggets' Elson has appeal for Spurs
Team is not only one to express interest in free-agent center
July 11, 2006

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nba/article/0,2777,DRMN_23922_4835687,00.html

LAS VEGAS - Francisco Elson might have passed his auditions.
Elson, a Nuggets restricted free- agent center, had his second-best scoring game and second-best rebounding game of last season against the San Antonio Spurs. Now, the Spurs are taking a long look at him.

"They've inquired," Elson's agent, Calvin Andrews, said.

An NBA source said the interest is strong in the 7-foot Elson, who scored 13 points in one game last season against the Spurs and grabbed 11 rebounds in another.

"I heard that, too," Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony said.

Andrews said two or three other teams, which he wouldn't name, have inquired about Elson, eligible to sign as soon as Wednesday.

Elson returned Monday from his native Netherlands.

The Nuggets would have seven days to match an offer. With the Nuggets approaching the luxury tax, it's possible they might not.

The Nuggets also could lose unrestricted free agent forward Reggie Evans, expected to command a deal between half and the full midlevel exception of about $5.2 million.

"If the price is right, we're very interested," Minnesota Timberwolves coach Dwane Casey said. "He's a rebounding machine."

New York coach Isiah Thomas said Evans is one of the free agents the Knicks are looking at, but their interest is said to be cooling.

ETC.: Last weekend, Nuggets coach George Karl interviewed Knicks assistant Dave Hanners and former Dallas Mavericks assistant Charlie Parker, among others, for an assistant's job. Karl, gone from Las Vegas to prepare for his daughter's wedding Saturday, probably won't decide this week. "He's going to get back with me and we're going to have further talks," Hanners said. Would Hanners be let out of the final four years on his contract? "If it's an upgrade to his position and he gets paid more money, we never stand in anybody's way," Thomas said . . . Visiting summer practice, Nuggets guard Earl Boykins commended the big contracts the team recently gave to Anthony and Nene and said he hopes disgruntled Kenyon Martin won't be traded. "He can help us win games," Boykins said. "I would like to see him back." . . . Karl last week said summer team guard Casey Jacobsen is a likely invitee to training camp, and Jacobsen said Karl has "mentioned he'd like to see me in camp." It remains to be seen if he gets some guaranteed money. "It's a great situation," Jacobsen said. "I'll be (in camp)." . . . Free agent forward Al Harrington, who in December expressed interest in Denver, said the Nuggets haven't made contact. But Harrington, who said he mainly is being courted by the Golden State Warriors, Indiana Pacers and the Knicks, said he remains interested if things change.

T Park
07-11-2006, 01:45 AM
Posturing using the SPurs for more money forum.

:)

Kori Ellis
07-11-2006, 01:46 AM
Posturing using the SPurs for more money forum.

:)

Well the Express-News said that the Spurs were interested in him too.

T Park
07-11-2006, 01:49 AM
No doubt.

Messing with restricted FAs though is an iffy situation.

Would rather trade for Murphy and get Evans.

Hopefully trading away Oberto....

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-11-2006, 01:52 AM
please dont , we cant lose our CMFFDS :depressed

T Park
07-11-2006, 02:04 AM
CMFFDS

Translation?

timvp
07-11-2006, 02:05 AM
Spurs go after a Denver free agent bigman ... but it's their Euro one.

Classic.

:shootme

T Park
07-11-2006, 02:06 AM
:lol

God......

Full MLE for Evans?

No thanks.

timvp
07-11-2006, 02:12 AM
Man, Elson is scraping the bottom of the barrel. Jarron Collins ain't no prize but I'd go with him over Elson. Going into the season with Elson as the starting center is just asking for trouble.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-11-2006, 02:17 AM
Translation?

Crazy Mother Fawker From Da Street

He is our Euro thug :lol Famous for going toe to toe with KG and calling him 'gay' :smokin

timvp
07-11-2006, 02:18 AM
Elson averages 8.9 points and 8.6 rebounds per 40 minutes. That's pretty gross. Only good thing I can find about him is he shot 43% on jumpers this year, which is pretty nice for a seven-footer. That said, I really hope this isn't the Spurs' answer for a starting center.

I guess another good thing is Elson's probably in the Spurs' price range :jack

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-11-2006, 02:26 AM
its hard to say. He never got alot of minutes but he did do a solid job when Camby was injured, nothing spectacular but he was solid. The Nuggets went on their only decent streak (7 games) with K and him as 4 and 5 last season.

His stats don't show much but he is someone that i hope the Nuggets dont lose. They shouldn't lose him, they will match anything that isnt too ridiculous and im sure he wouldnt get any overpaid offers.

T Park
07-11-2006, 02:35 AM
LJ

so the 40 minute stats say everything?

timvp
07-11-2006, 02:40 AM
LJ

so the 40 minute stats say everything?

It says something. What do you think about him?

Spurs could be after Luke Schenscher and you'd be all over him.

T Park
07-11-2006, 02:45 AM
Spurs could be after Luke Schenscher and you'd be all over him.

sigh.......

when we assume......

What do I think about him?

I think hes a gritty center when given PT showed he could rebound and play decent defense.

Are we really willing to scrap a real center for a guy that shoots FTs worse than Rasho?

Kori Ellis
07-11-2006, 02:49 AM
Elson is way down my list of free agent scrub centers.

If the Spurs want just anyone to fill the role, then at least get someone in their 20's with a chance to improve.

ChumpDumper
07-11-2006, 02:55 AM
I think Jamar Smith could produce the same numbers this guy does though he is shorter.

timvp
07-11-2006, 02:57 AM
I think hes a gritty center when given PT showed he could rebound and play decent defense.

When given PT?

Playa started 54 games last season. He's as good as he's going to get. A 30-year-old project?

No thanks.

Are we really willing to scrap a real center for a guy that shoots FTs worse than Rasho?

Yeah because the Spurs always go after the world's best free throw shooters.

T Park
07-11-2006, 03:07 AM
Yeah because the Spurs always go after the world's best free throw shooters

Well Rasho was ripped for not being a good one, and not getting there alot....

All of this debating is moot anyways.

Elson will go to the highest bidder and the Spurs more than likely don't value him as highly as other teams may.

ChumpDumper
07-11-2006, 03:33 AM
There's no reason to go for the worse player that the Nuggets can match.

This guy is Jelani McCoy for chrissakes.

MoSpur
07-11-2006, 09:04 AM
Evans will get the full from some other team in need of a center, which is more than half of the teams.

FromWayDowntown
07-11-2006, 09:47 AM
I'm a little surprised at the interest in Elson. He'd definitely be an improvement over the previous platoon in terms of athleticism, but he can't do much else besides be an athlete. He had a nice game in San Antonio in January, but making a decision based on that performance is like making a decision to give a big deal to Rasho Nesterovic because he lit you up one night in 2001 (http://www.basketball-reference.com/games/boxscore.cgi?date=2001-11-24&tm1=SAS&tm2=MIN).

The pickins' are slim, undoubtedly. But even with what's left, Jarron Collins certainly seems like a better option that Francisco Elson -- in per 40 numbers, Collins is at least on par with Rasho (JC = 9.6 pts/40, 7.7 reb/40; RN = 9.5 pts/40, 8.1 reb/40), but probably a bit tougher and more athletic. Plus, Collins brings the slight benefit of having played for Sloan, meaning that he has played in a structured defensive system and for a taskmaster, so Pop is unlikely to lose him by going Serbian every now and again.

MoSpur
07-11-2006, 09:51 AM
I honestly believe that Pop went out and got Rasho because of one good game Rasho had against us. To me that was a huge mistake. I hope he doesn't do that again.

timvp
07-11-2006, 03:19 PM
If the Spurs only offered Zo $1.5M/year, I'm think that maybe Collins might be out of their price range :lol :shootme

Perhaps a super scrub like Elson is as good as they can get.

violentkitten
07-11-2006, 03:29 PM
we are so fucked

SenorSpur
07-11-2006, 03:30 PM
If the Spurs only offered Zo $1.5M/year, I'm think that maybe Collins might be out of their price range :lol :shootme

Perhaps a super scrub like Elson is as good as they can get.

The term "super scrub" is even an overstatement for this guy.

violentkitten
07-11-2006, 03:42 PM
so let me get this right. the spurs dump rasho and rose's contracts and yet cannot come up with say $10 mil for mourning over 2 yrs? what is fucking up the program? stop wasting tim duncan's career you cheap mofos.

timvp
07-11-2006, 03:43 PM
The term "super scrub" is even an overstatement for this guy.

Yeah I couldn't come up with a term bad enough for this guy. He is one of the most uncoordinated players in the league.

I'd rather Holt save his money and go on a lavish vacation instead of signing Elson.

kris
07-11-2006, 03:43 PM
I like Elson from what I've seen.

SenorSpur
07-11-2006, 03:45 PM
so let me get this right. the spurs dump rasho and rose's contracts and yet cannot come up with say $10 mil for mourning over 2 yrs? what is fucking up the program? stop wasting tim duncan's career you cheap mofos.

I don't think the money would have mattered in the Mourning situation. I seriously doubt that he was ever willing to leave Miami, but your point is well taken.

alamo50
07-11-2006, 04:23 PM
Well hey offcourse I want a dutchy in silver and black!
Just never thought it would be Elson, but always hoped for Gadzuric.

When Elson is given 20-25 minutes a game he sure is capable of decent numbers as he has proven starting in Denver when Camby was out all the time.

But can he do it with the Spurs next to Timmy?
I for one, would like to see him get a shot.

BUT I AM STILL HOPING WE'LL SIGN MAGLOIRE ONE WAY OR ANOTHER!!!

SenorSpur
07-11-2006, 04:38 PM
Well hey offcourse I want a dutchy in silver and black!
Just never thought it would be Elson, but always hoped for Gadzuric.

When Elson is given 20-25 minutes a game he sure is capable of decent numbers as he has proven starting in Denver when Camby was out all the time.

But can he do it with the Spurs next to Timmy?
I for one, would like to see him get a shot.

BUT I AM STILL HOPING WE'LL SIGN MAGLOIRE ONE WAY OR ANOTHER!!!

I'm not a fan of Magloire, but I was impressed with his stats (9 pts and 9 rebs). I'd take him anyday over either Elson or Collins.

Solid D
07-11-2006, 05:25 PM
http://www.biglots.com/elements/wholesale_banner.gif
http://www.comediansusa.com/celebs/images/van_dyke_jerry.jpg

timvp
07-11-2006, 05:28 PM
http://www.salvationarmy-newyork.org/images/kettle.jpg

rayray2k8
07-11-2006, 05:53 PM
Sad. :lol
We have to help the spurs payroll.

El_Mago
07-11-2006, 06:00 PM
Seems like every time a new paper mentions who the Spurs are now interested.....they only get worse and worse.

Whats next? Vladamir Stepania

Anyone who thinks Elson is quality and can come in here and help us win a championship....needs a reality check in basketball.

No upside, not talented, not athletic, etc....

Fuck, just sign Butler....Woods or Ariza.

At least they have the potential, have talent, and are athletic.....

danyel
07-11-2006, 06:02 PM
This would make Alamo50 very happy

NugzFan
07-11-2006, 06:47 PM
Elson is way down my list of free agent scrub centers.

really hope the spurs feel the same way.

alamo50
07-12-2006, 12:00 PM
Anyone who thinks Elson is quality and can come in here and help us win a championship....needs a reality check in basketball.

No upside, not talented, not athletic, etc....

WOOSH!!!
There goes your credibility flying through the window!

50 cent
07-12-2006, 12:12 PM
Fuck Elson. This offseason has turned into the biggest fuck job for the Spurs that I can remember.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2006, 12:24 PM
Fuck Elson. This offseason has turned into the biggest fuck job for the Spurs that I can remember.

Funny shit. Last year as I recall you were defending the Spurs' miserly ways. Shut the fuck up and enjoy it.

sribb43
07-12-2006, 12:27 PM
Elson averages 8.9 points and 8.6 rebounds per 40 minutes. That's pretty gross. Only good thing I can find about him is he shot 43% on jumpers this year, which is pretty nice for a seven-footer. That said, I really hope this isn't the Spurs' answer for a starting center.

I guess another good thing is Elson's probably in the Spurs' price range :jack

That is the most useless stat in the game today per 48min, in that case lets look at Dumpier's stats per 48

Ranks #1 in the NBA in Offensive Rebounds Per 48 Minutes(6.8)
Ranks #15 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds Per 48 Minutes(9.1)
Ranks #3 in the NBA in Rebounds Per 48 Minutes(15.9)
Ranks #13 in the NBA in Blocks Per 48 Minutes(2.63)

Wow, those stats must mean Damp is the 2nd best center in the league :smokin