PDA

View Full Version : Sonics pick Sene signs contract

Quadzilla99
07-11-2006, 04:47 AM
I posted this because it surprised me as I thought he would stay overseas for a couple of years as they already have two projects at center in Swift and Petro. I don't know how all three of these guys will get pt.

Sonics sign top pick Sene
By Percy Allen

Seattle Times staff reporter

A day after the start of summer-league practice, the Sonics signed Mouhamed Sene, the No. 10 pick in last month's NBA draft, to a four-year deal worth a guaranteed $3.3 million in the first two years.

The 7-foot Senegalese center is the centerpiece of Seattle's summer squad, which begins play in Salt Lake City on Friday.

The team also features forward Noel Felix, the only holdover from last season, and 2006 second-round picks Denham Brown, a 6-6 guard from Connecticut, and Yotam Halperin, a 6-5 Israeli guard.

French guard Paccelis "Patch" Morlende, a 2003 second-round pick, and Andre Emmett, a former Texas Tech standout, also will play for Seattle.

Sene, who has a reported 7-8 wingspan, will draw the most attention. He's Seattle's highest draft pick since the team took Gary Payton No. 2 in 1990.

"We're glad to get Mouhamed on board," general manager Rick Sund said in a statement Monday. "His participation in this month's summer league in Salt Lake City will give him a feel for the NBA."

Sene, 20, is the third consecutive center drafted by the Sonics, following Robert Swift and Johan Petro. The trio has worked out together since Sene arrived in Seattle on June 30, and Sene has drawn raves in early reports from team executives.

"With his ability to block shots and rebound, we hope he can give support to Robert Swift and Johan Petro to improve our defense in the paint," coach Bob Hill said.

Because of the team's depth at center, Sene, who began playing basketball four years ago, has time to get acclimated to the NBA. He's expected to spend a significant portion of the 2006-07 season with the Sonics' NBA Developmental League team in Boise.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2003118756_soni11.html

Kori Ellis
07-11-2006, 04:49 AM
They are going to probably alternate him between DLeague and the Sonics. They hope that by the end of the season he'll be getting 10-15 mpg for them.

ChumpDumper
07-11-2006, 04:51 AM
They should take just about anything for Wilcox now.