PDA

View Full Version : Nightmares & Dreamscapes by Stephen King starts tonight

Quadzilla99
07-11-2006, 07:11 AM
I originally composed this email to send to my brother to catch up with him and give him a heads up about this new miniseries starting tonight on TNT. We're both big on Horror Movies. Figured it cut and paste it here in case anybody wanted to see it.-

Anyway Nightmares & Dreamscapes from the mind of
Stephen King starts tonight on TNT and has a big
budget and a lot of known actors. The first
episode is even being aired commercial free. When I
started looking through the cast there is an absolute
ton of people who I recognized when I look at their
imdb credentials and photos. About the best possible
cast you could get for anything on Basic Cable.

Actors and where they're from:

William Hurt-duh
William H. Macy-duh
Tom Berenger-duh
Ron Livingston-2nd biggest character in Band of
Brothers also main character in movie "Office Space"
Henry Thomas-kid in E.T., Gangs of New York (played
Amsterdam's best friend the one who betrays him)
Jeremy Sisto-Wrong Turn, Six Feet Under, Clueless,
White Squall
Claire Forlani-Lead actress Meet Joe Black
Kim Delany-NYPD Blue
Steven Weber-Wings and Stephen King's the Stand
Eion Bailey-Band of Brothers, ER, Fight Club
Samantha Mathis-The Punisher, lead actress Broken
Arrow, The American President
Marsha Mason-lead actress in all three of
these-Heartbreak Ridge, Audrey Rose, and the Goodbye
Girl
Greta Scacchi-Presumed Innocent with Harrison Ford,
Jefferson in Paris with Nick Nolte, Flightplan (played
the therapist)

Some decent directors too:

One directed 28 episodes of the X-Files and the movie
Reign of Fire with Christian Bale and Matthew
McCauneghey.

Another one directed the movie hard Rain and 2 of the
episodes of Band of Brothers.

One was the first assistant director (whatever that
is) to Spielberg on 9 movies (here's a couple: Saving
Private Ryan, A.I., Minority report, Amistad,
Schindler's List).

imdb link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0481452/

PM5K
07-11-2006, 07:38 AM
King can be so hit or miss, I recently saw Desperation and wasn't too impressed, but when it's good it's really good so I'll at least watch the first...

DarkReign
07-11-2006, 08:50 AM
Ive been looking forward to this. Nice on the heads up.

DVR is the shizzzz...

SpursWoman
07-11-2006, 08:53 AM
Ive been looking forward to this. Nice on the heads up.

DVR is the shizzzz...

:tu

JoeChalupa
07-11-2006, 11:05 AM
His books are never a miss for me.

Thanks for the reminder!

PakiDan
07-11-2006, 01:25 PM
I've been waiting for this all year!!!!...... except it starts tomorrow smart guy!

Quadzilla99
07-11-2006, 05:20 PM
I've been waiting for this all year!!!!...... except it starts tomorrow smart guy!Shit let me fix that. Damn sorry.

Quadzilla99
07-11-2006, 05:24 PM
Shit its still fucked up when you see the thread from the Club page. That's embarassing.

PakiDan
07-11-2006, 11:32 PM
It's ok.... I give you props cuz it remeinded me it was on this week... for that, I salute you!

2Blonde
07-12-2006, 11:57 AM
I was totally bummed cuz' I got all ready and settled in last night to watch it since you said it was yesterday. Thanks a lot.:flipoff

Oh well, I guess I'll be ready again tonight.

nkdlunch
07-12-2006, 12:06 PM
cool i'll check it out

DarkReign
07-13-2006, 07:30 AM
I was totally disappointed. The first one with William Hurt wasnt horrible, per say, but toys?!

The second one was dreadful. The lead 'actors' insulted every other person in the world who are actually actors with their performance. I know the direction wasnt great, but those 2 certainly didnt help sell the story either.

I thought both plots were asking an extraordinary leap in willing suspension of disbelief. I am not a snob with such things but the execution of each story was just so bad, it made it hard to like.

All in all, severly disappointed.

SpursWoman
07-13-2006, 09:01 AM
I was disappointed as well, but not terribly surprised.

I've read every single one of his books, and the only one that was made into a movie that was even remotely good was Misery ... if only for the part where she nails his ankles with a sledgehammer. In the book she just cuts off his feet. :lol

There's been several where they actually change the entire ending. WTF?

DarkReign
07-13-2006, 10:02 AM
I was disappointed as well, but not terribly surprised.

I've read every single one of his books, and the only one that was made into a movie that was even remotely good was Misery ... if only for the part where she nails his ankels with a sledgehammer. In the book she just cuts off his feet. :lol

There's been several where they actually change the entire ending. WTF?

I read Misery in junior high and remember the character played by James Caan having to drink his urine to survive when the psycho went on her excusrion into town for days (sometimes weeks) on end.

Spurminator
07-13-2006, 10:48 AM
I've read every single one of his books, and the only one that was made into a movie that was even remotely good was Misery

You didn't like SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION?!?!

Communist!!

Spurminator
07-13-2006, 10:50 AM
It's unfortunate that so many Stephen King books end up as Made-for-TV movies instead of real movies made by people with above average skills in acting, directing, etc.

I'm pining for a Peter Jackson version of The Stand... in three parts, of course.

SpursWoman
07-13-2006, 10:52 AM
You didn't like SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION?!?!

Communist!!

Oh, damn ... how the hell did I forget that one? That's one of my favorite movies. And The Green Mile, too. :oops

Probably because we just watched Christine again not too long ago. :drunk

Spurminator
07-13-2006, 10:55 AM
Don't forget Stand By Me. ;)

Really, the theatrical adaptions of King novels have a pretty good track record. I haven't seen or read Carrie, but it seems to have a good reputation...

PM5K
07-13-2006, 12:15 PM
I wouldn't say they have a very good track record, as much as I like King and as much as I like many of the movies, there have to be maybe twenty or more movies based on King novels, and most of them are subpar.

I think Kings best achievements are The Green Mile, The Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me because they show his ability to write a great story that's not a horror story...

As for last night, Tales From The Hood did the similar plot with the dolls that come alive, it's also been done in movies etc, although the Tales From The Hood version was probably more similar, initially I didn't think I'd like it because of that but it was interesting to see that little army attack that guy, especially the helicopters and the missile launchers.

Now the second just plain sucked, I've never read the story but sometimes King just gets too weird. It was interesting hearing about Crouch End, and it was spooky at first but then it just got too weird.

You also had to suspend disbelief a bit too much for the first one, like why didn't he just run out of the house? They should have taken out the elevator and possibly the stairs. And why didn't he just step on them, I guess the idea was that he was a little nuts and wanted to beat them fairly and actually use some skill to beat them instead of stepping on them, but it would have been better for him to try, and maybe they avoided him, or shot a rocket at his foot, or maybe ran under things or used smoke grenades so he couldn't see them...

It's funny to talk about that but totally believe a guy would be attacked by a box full of army men, but it just works that way for some reason...

DarkReign
07-13-2006, 12:47 PM
One cool thing about the Army Guy skit was the fact there werent any spoken words yet you still knew what was being 'said' and conveyed.

That was a plus. The only plus.

nkdlunch
07-13-2006, 12:52 PM
The 1st story was pretty cool. I had read it a long time ago and I don't see how they could have filmed it any better.

The 2nd story sucked ass, the main actor dude was terrible. It was really really really BAD.

I remember this King story I read, about this competition that they have in the future to walk from like Boston to Florida nonstop and its a walk to the death. It's one of my favorites. I hope they made that one into this series.