PDA

View Full Version : In India

clambake
07-11-2006, 10:43 AM
It's being reported that officials in India new of an emminent attack. They chose to do nothing.

Why are there so many unqualified leaders in this world?

Yonivore
07-11-2006, 10:50 AM
It's being reported that officials in India new of an emminent attack. They chose to do nothing.

I think your judgement is premature. But, the truth will out.

In a country the size of India, and with Bombay being as densely populated as it is, it is quite possible the number of people killed in a panic caused by announcing the emminency of an attack, without the details of exactly where and when it would occur, could quickly outpace those killed in the attack itself.

That may have played into the decision.

clambake
07-11-2006, 10:58 AM
So I'm in India in my living room and I hear a report about " attacks likely to occur". All the people in India immediatly run screaming into the streets?

RobinsontoDuncan
07-11-2006, 10:59 AM
I think your judgement is premature. But, the truth will out.

In a country the size of India, and with Bombay being as densely populated as it is, it is quite possible the number of people killed in a panic caused by announcing the emminency of an attack, without the details of exactly where and when it would occur, could quickly outpace those killed in the attack itself.

That may have played into the decision.

Well said. Also, if you announce it, it may alert those whom are planning the attack, also potentially bad.

clambake
07-11-2006, 11:04 AM
Un huh. We don't want to disrupt those attackers bombing plans. They worked so hard on it, they deserve to proceed.

Now that's quality leadership!

Crookshanks
07-11-2006, 11:11 AM
They didn't know when or where the attack would occur - what kind of warning could they issue?

clambake
07-11-2006, 11:31 AM
Prehaps they could dispatch troops to highly populated airports, bus terminals, train stations, etc....

Get some eyes on the ground,make people aware, look for things of suspicion, you know, do something that resembles anything!

JoeChalupa
07-11-2006, 12:05 PM
They didn't know when or where the attack would occur - what kind of warning could they issue?

Up the terror alert to "RED"?

DesiSpur_21
07-11-2006, 12:11 PM

Yeah, it's sad that India has become the easy target especially since 2004. This current govt. is soft on these issues because of political advantage they get by NOT taking action against a particular section. They repealed the toughest anti-terror law, and these terrorists roam around freely across the nation.

Yonivore
07-11-2006, 12:40 PM
So I'm in India in my living room and I hear a report about " attacks likely to occur". All the people in India immediatly run screaming into the streets?
No, but say you're on an extremely crowded subway train and the same is announced.

How many would be trampled?

Yonivore
07-11-2006, 12:42 PM
Un huh. We don't want to disrupt those attackers bombing plans. They worked so hard on it, they deserve to proceed.

Now that's quality leadership!
Because, of course, they wouldn't have a back up plan, or an alternate site; right?

Look, unless, you know exactly where they are when you learn of the imminent attack, what's the point in panicking the public?

Yonivore
07-11-2006, 12:43 PM
Prehaps they could dispatch troops to highly populated airports, bus terminals, train stations, etc....

Get some eyes on the ground,make people aware, look for things of suspicion, you know, do something that resembles anything!
That would depend on how much advance notice they received.

clambake
07-11-2006, 12:46 PM
You should give these people more credit. Do you think new yorkers would trample each other?

My question was about world leadership. India took a page from the white house playbook. Bush knew attacks would occur on planes. At least it was narrowed down for him. He was informed about PLANES. Then again, maybe he thought they meant PLAINS.

Yonivore
07-11-2006, 12:51 PM
You should give these people more credit. Do you think new yorkers would trample each other?
If the city announced, during the evening commute, that there was an imminent attack (and, again, it would depend on how much advance notice we're talking about -- but assuming they received word as commute time was beginning), yeah, a bunch of New Yorkers would die under the feet of others scrambling to get above ground before the bombs went off.

My question was about world leadership. India took a page from the white house playbook. Bush knew attacks would occur on planes. At least it was narrowed down for him. He was informed about PLANES. Then again, maybe he thought they meant PLAINS.
Then again, there are only several thousand in the air at any given time. What would knowing the terrorists are on planes done for anyone?

He didn't know what day, time, location, airport, etc...

Do you think Indians didn't know subway trains are prime targets of terrorists? Now who's not giving them credit?

RobinsontoDuncan
07-11-2006, 01:21 PM
Yeah, it's sad that India has become the easy target especially since 2004. This current govt. is soft on these issues because of political advantage they get by NOT taking action against a particular section. They repealed the toughest anti-terror law, and these terrorists roam around freely across the nation.

As much as I appreciae the opinion of someone living in India, I must say I am very pleased the congress party has risen from the ashes and is attempting to build bridges with musliums.

Would you rather the BJP turn India into the world's largest theocracy?

clambake
07-11-2006, 01:25 PM
Nice angle desispur 21.

clambake
07-11-2006, 01:28 PM
I think I remember bush saying "don't bother me unless you have flight numbers and seating assignments".

Yonivore
07-11-2006, 01:32 PM
I think I remember bush saying "don't bother me unless you have flight numbers and seating assignments".
You think? Of course you do.

gtownspur
07-11-2006, 01:37 PM
As much as I appreciae the opinion of someone living in India, I must say I am very pleased the congress party has risen from the ashes and is attempting to build bridges with musliums.

Awesome! Appease muslims or die. Brilliant strategy.

clambake
07-11-2006, 01:38 PM
Pres did nothing, India did nothing. I'm sure your very proud. It takes a great leader to sit back and do nothing with vital information that could save lives.

Yonivore
07-11-2006, 01:43 PM
Pres did nothing, India did nothing. I'm sure your very proud. It takes a great leader to sit back and do nothing with vital information that could save lives.
Again, I'm reserving judgement until we know more facts. If the government came into this knowledge at the beginning of the evening commute, trying to "do something" may have only raised the death toll. Not only would the bombs probably still detonated, there would be added casualties of those scrambling for safety.

If they knew yesterday, or even several hours before, you may have a point.

Imminent needs to be defined in this case.

01Snake
07-11-2006, 02:39 PM
George Bush did it!

Signed,

Bountons

Yonivore
07-11-2006, 02:41 PM
George Bush did it!

Signed,

Bountons
Isn't Rummy in Afghanistan today? Same hemisphere; has to be a connection.

01Snake
07-11-2006, 02:53 PM
india government blows

Not as bad as ours does!

Signed,

NBADan

DesiSpur_21
07-11-2006, 11:20 PM

I'd take a non-congress govt any day over a congress govt.

Well.. if you believe electronic media, you'd think BJP is bad. Relationship with Pakistan started to improve (and without terror attacks) during previous BJP rule. If you look at last couple of years, there have been blasts in Delhi and Varanasi (during festive season), Bangalore (attack on Scientific community) and Mumbai. Bottom-line is congress and the so-called seculars have kept minority appeasement agenda alive for 50 years, which is not helping anyone (including muslims) but congress themselves to hang on to power.

RobinsontoDuncan
07-11-2006, 11:51 PM
I'd take a non-congress govt any day over a congress govt.

Well.. if you believe electronic media, you'd think BJP is bad. Relationship with Pakistan started to improve (and without terror attacks) during previous BJP rule. If you look at last couple of years, there have been blasts in Delhi and Varanasi (during festive season), Bangalore (attack on Scientific community) and Mumbai. Bottom-line is congress and the so-called seculars have kept minority appeasement agenda alive for 50 years, which is not helping anyone (including muslims) but congress themselves to hang on to power.

The Congress party was fine before Indira Gandhi destroyed her fathers work and introduced Hindu nationalism into a secular party.

Just think what would be happening right now.... it would be the Gujarat massacre all over again...or worse.. Mumbai in 1992.

I understand the frustrations the Hindu majority faces when the congress party caters to much to minority rights for the sake of capturing the Muslium block, but what kind of India would we be looking at if religious fundamentalism replaces the ideals of Neru and Gandhi?

If the BJP was a preview, I'll pass.

PS I think India-Pakistani relations have eased because Pakistan finally has a level headed government. As long as Musharaf can maintain control from the radicals, relations should improve.

DesiSpur_21
07-12-2006, 01:42 AM
The Congress party was fine before Indira Gandhi destroyed her fathers work and introduced Hindu nationalism into a secular party.

Pleez..It's Indira Gandhi who started muslim appeasement - she was against anything that is pro-people (1975 Emergency).

Just think what would be happening right now.... it would be the Gujarat massacre all over again...or worse.. Mumbai in 1992.

Do you know the root cause for the Gujarat incident? I am not condoning the aftermath of the incident, but to put a blame on Hindus for what happened is non-sense. Hindus have been the most tolerant people in this region of the world for centuries. India is probably the only country that has not invaded any other for the sake of expansion, religion or whatever. Telling a community not to attack when it's being attacked has always been a one-way for the congress (including Gandhi) and the communists here. Mumbai-1992 was a direct attack on terror blocks inside mumbai being funded by Pakistan through bollywood elements.

I understand the frustrations the Hindu majority faces when the congress party caters to much to minority rights for the sake of capturing the Muslium block, but what kind of India would we be looking at if religious fundamentalism replaces the ideals of Neru and Gandhi?

So have the minorities benefited from all these appeasements over 50 years of congress-rule? An average muslim's life hasnt' seen any improvement in spite of supporting congress blindly for decades.

Calling Nationalism as fundamentalism is ridiculous. It happens only in India when the majority has take all hits through terror, conversion etc. because of weak leadership. I don't think any other country would tolerate that

If the BJP was a preview, I'll pass.

PS I think India-Pakistani relations have eased because Pakistan finally has a level headed government. As long as Musharaf can maintain control from the radicals, relations should improve.

BJP might not be an ideal one, but Congress is definitely not the solution.