PDA

View Full Version : Arenas 'willing to do anything' to make U.S. team

ducks
07-11-2006, 10:32 PM
Arenas 'willing to do anything' to make U.S. team
Arenas 'willing to do anything' to make U.S. team

July 11, 2006

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Washington Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas is ready to do almost anything to make the U.S. national team -- starting with mastering the shorter 3-point shot.

"I've been working out on the international 3 -- it's like a free throw now," Arenas said Tuesday at an open workout before leaving for next week's training camp. "I'm accustomed to that line, and I know it's hard for NBA players to shoot from that line. We don't practice it. It's either shoot an NBA 3 or drive into the lane, it seems like there is no in-between, so I've been working on it and I've forgotten about the NBA line."

ADVERTISEMENT

Arenas and 22 other invitees will train at the camp run by U.S. coach Mike Krzyzewski in Las Vegas from July 19-25. Those who make the final roster will play in this year's world championship in Japan.

"I'm excited, a little nervous," said Arenas, who averaged 29.3 points last season and made the All-Star game for the second straight year. "It's just like when you see rookies come in and they are trying to make a squad. That is how I feel going out there."

Arenas lobbied to be selected for the roster in part because he doesn't mind the year-round commitment. Arenas works out through the summer anyway, rarely taking a vacation from the gym.

To reinforce his desire, he gave Krzyzewski a call last week and spoke to the coach for about a half hour.

"He said he likes my speed and that I can shoot," Arenas said. "He wants to see me play defense -- to get out there and pick them up full court -- and I am willing to do anything to make this team.

"I told him, 'You don't have to worry about me. I'm not one of the egotistic players. If you want me to dive on the floor and run into walls, I'll do it.' He can worry about someone else because he won't have to worry about me."

Even if he makes the team, Arenas realizes the competition for points and playing time will be tough on a squad that could include LeBron James, Kobe Bryant and Dwyane Wade.

"We have scorers; they don't need that from me," Arenas said. "All they need from me is to run the team, run the defense, be athletic and take open shots -- and I am willing to do that."

MrChug
07-11-2006, 10:37 PM
Gilbert, you spotlight hogging, 3 ball jacking, not team playin loudmouth...would you suck a fat frogs asshole!?!? You said "anything" bitch...

ShackO
07-11-2006, 11:50 PM
Sounds like someone don't like GIlbert....

He is a true competitor…..

Watch him ball one day and enjoy….

ShoogarBear
07-12-2006, 05:08 AM
"I've been working out on the international 3 -- it's like a free throw now," Arenas said
Oooh, maybe you want to rethink that analogy, Gilbert.

"He wants to see me play defense"
So has everyone in DC the last two years. Nice that you were holding back on them.

"I told him, 'You don't have to worry about me. I'm not one of the egotistic players. If you want me to dive on the floor and run into walls, I'll do it.' Unless they piss you off, and then you'll go into a pout and refuse to shoot the ball to make your point.

PaceMonster
07-12-2006, 05:40 AM
Gilbert is a hell of a competitor, and i guess he really wants to make this team and i doubt he wont but he has a lot to work on

Quadzilla99
07-12-2006, 08:45 AM
Don't get the Gilbert Arenas bashing. His team has been pretty good the last two years and so have his numbers.

Obstructed_View
07-12-2006, 09:06 AM
Re: Arenas 'willing to do anything' to make U.S. team

Time for a photoshop inserting Arenas into the KMart picture.

FlyMonk321
07-12-2006, 09:19 AM
Wow,

Arenas will become an incredible player if he actually listens to Krzyzewski and turns into a player that Coach K would play. If he can translate that game into the NBA we'll likely see the next Isiah. Coming from a longtime fan of the Pistons, that is high praise.

Obstructed_View
07-12-2006, 09:24 AM
Wow,

Arenas will become an incredible player if he actually listens to Krzyzewski and turns into a player that Coach K would play. If he can translate that game into the NBA we'll likely see the next Isiah. Coming from a longtime fan of the Pistons, that is high praise.
Put the crackpipe down, and slowly back away. :)

ShoogarBear
07-12-2006, 09:26 AM
Arenas is an amazing talent, but he's almost one of the biggest me-first guys I've ever seen.

He wants his stats first and second, and winning third. If he's getting his shots, he's happy, but woe unto you if the team is winning but he's not getting his numbers. When people complained about him dominating the ball too much with the Wiz (because he was) he went into a funk where he refused to shoot for a couple of games. Way to show leadership, Gilbert. he also pulled the same shit at least once with Golden State.

If he's not starting for Team USA or getting significant minutes, he will be a cancer, guaranteed.

I agree if he puts even a minimal effort into playing defense and decides that winning is more important than scoring, he may be a first team All-NBA. As it is now, his game is only for those who don't know championships.

mabber
07-12-2006, 09:44 AM
Arenas is an amazing talent, but he's almost one of the biggest me-first guys I've ever seen.

He wants his stats first and second, and winning third. If he's getting his shots, he's happy, but woe unto you if the team is winning but he's not getting his numbers. When people complained about him dominating the ball too much with the Wiz (because he was) he went into a funk where he refused to shoot for a couple of games. Way to show leadership, Gilbert. he also pulled the same shit at least once with Golden State.

If he's not starting for Team USA or getting significant minutes, he will be a cancer, guaranteed.

I agree if he puts even a minimal effort into playing defense and decides that winning is more important than scoring, he may be a first team All-NBA. As it is now, his game is only for those who don't know championships.

You can say that about 1/4 :lol of the players in the NBA

Quadzilla99
07-12-2006, 09:49 AM
Still don't get the Arenas bashing. Butler and Hughes had career years after playing for several different teams playing next to him. So he didn't hurt their game at all. He's the best player on his team he should take most of the shots. His numbers are ridiculous, he could calm down on the three pointers. Unlike Baron Davis, Stephon Marbury, and Francis his teams win and he hasn't killed his coaches. Besides his defense is not that horrible he still ranks in the league leaders in steals every year.

mabber
07-12-2006, 09:53 AM
Still don't get the Arenas bashing Butler and Hughes had career years after playing for several different teams playing next to him. So he didn't hurt their game at all. He's the best player on his team he should take most of the shots. His numbers are ridiculous, he could calm down on the three pointers. Unlike Baron Davis, Stephon Marbury, and Francis his teams win and he hasn't killed his coaches. Besides his defense is not horrible he still ranks in the league leaders in steals every year.

I don't get it either, but I don't see him play everyday. I like his game and the Wizards have improved each year with his improvement. Obviously, he can improve in some areas and I'm sure he will.